Skywarpgold

Show Soundtrack - Rockin' the 80s

I don't know about you guys, but ever since the show came back in 2014 (starting with S10E13 - "TAKE IT BACK"), I've thought the soundtrack has been awesome, and has sounded totally 80s. I finally got around to doing some research, and sure enough, Shonda has been picking modern covers of 80s songs. I've also been wondering who has done all the covers, and finally found ABC's own site listing them all. The links only go to iTunes versions of the songs, but most of them seem to be on YouTube.

Anyway, what have been your favorite covers this season? So far, mine have definitely been The Wind and the Wave's, "Time After Time," Sam Smith's "How Will I Know" (unfortunately, I can't find a clean version of that one), and Sleeping At Last's "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic."

Full disclosure: I was in an 80s tribute band, The Legwarmers, until about two years ago, so I might be a tad biased ;-)

EDIT: Closed the parentheses.

• Like 3

I've hated this 80's music project, to be quite honest. I'd much rather they just go back to using Katie Herzig, Ingrid Michaelson, Greg Laswell, Tegan and Sara, Metric, etc etc etc like they used to. This show used to MAKE musicians. The Fray and Snow Patrol would be nothing without Grey's. And now even the regular music (such as the music in season 9 and 10A) has been nothing special or memorable...

• Like 5

I have to admit I'm not a fan either.  In the first ep they used it, I thought it was cool.  As it's gone on and on, all these same-sounding covers, I've liked it less and less, and some of the choices have seemed jarring. Now when I hear the music, it's distracting me from the scene at hand.

The Legwarmers that play at that theatre in Falls Church, VA all the time? (I've never been in, but I do drive past and notice the upcoming acts all the time).

I like the covers themselves, but I do think they're distracting, because I find myself trying to figure out what song it is!  It's like an audio version of "Hey! It's that guy!"  lol

• Like 4

I've hated this 80's music project, to be quite honest. I'd much rather they just go back to using Katie Herzig, Ingrid Michaelson, Greg Laswell, Tegan and Sara, Metric, etc etc etc like they used to. This show used to MAKE musicians. The Fray and Snow Patrol would be nothing without Grey's. And now even the regular music (such as the music in season 9 and 10A) has been nothing special or memorable...

I completely agree. "How to Save a Life", "Breathe", "Chasing Cars"...these songs are so iconic on Grey's and I'd never heard any of them before seeing the show. I can't separate memories of the show in its best years from the music. The past 6+ seasons I can barely remember more than a handful of songs. During this bizarre 80's music project, the only cover I liked was "Total Eclipse of the Heart" playing during April's wedding. Everything else inspired a "huh? what is this song doing here?" reaction from me.

Damn I just realized how much I miss seasons 1-3 Grey's.

Edited by CleoCaesar
  • Like 1

The Legwarmers that play at that theatre in Falls Church, VA all the time? (I've never been in, but I do drive past and notice the upcoming acts all the time).

The very same!

lol, I suppose I've been watching through rose-colored glasses, given my background ;-)

• Like 1

I don't like the covers that the show has been doing either. Like, one or two lines of the stanza fit the scene, but then it gets to the chorus and I'm all WTF? Like a Virgin? The whole song should fit, not just one line. I've seen better song choices on YouTube fanvids.

• Like 1

Count me in as thoroughly tired of the 80s covers.  Its not only because I miss finding new music through the show, it is also the song choices.  They are picking the most obvious and overplayed songs imaginable.  There are so many great new wave and alternative bands from the 80s that I would love to see find a new audience, but for some reason they are picking some of the cheesiest songs from the era.  Maybe that is the point or maybe these other bands wouldn't give their permission (can you imagine Morrissey watching an episode of Grey's???), but for me, this is just another missed opportunity.

I mean, no offense to Darryl or John, but how much more Hall and Oates do I need in my life?  "Maneater", really??

• Like 1

Damn I just realized how much I miss seasons 1-3 Grey's.

Lifetime airs 3 episodes a day, from 1-4pm, and they started over with S1 recently (this week they're finishing S2).  I'm a little behind, because ain't nobody got time for 3 MORE hours of teevee a day ;) but it's like curling up on a cozy couch with some old friends.  Friends with overly-dramatic lives, but friends nonetheless.

ANYWAY, count me in as one who likes the '80's covers.  I like playing "name that tune," and the '80's speak to me, so.  ::shrug::

• Like 3

I'm another person who thinks the 80s covers are fun. I like playing "name that tune" as well @Lovecat! It's one of my favorite parts of this half of the season. I only didn't like it when I didn't know it was a "thing" and I thought I was loosing it because every song was a cover and I thought "that can't be right" but then I found out it was a plan and I was happy. 

• Like 2

The covers were appropriate, for the most part and well done, for the most part, but they've been bugging me because they've all been too loud, crowding out dramatic moments and/or dialogue.  It's like they've been thrust down the viewers' throats in an obnoxious way, doing disservice to the original songs, the cover artists and the show.  

I did download "Tainted Love" by Claire Guerreso, but otherwise, none of these covers are really doing it for me. And I'm not against covers, either. But I agree, TVAddict, the covers are too loud, aren't that good, and seem out of place. Feels like the 80s project was the focus, rather than finding music that fits well.

Music on Grey's has usually been wonderful, and at times, iconic; I downloaded several songs from the show that are forever tied to pivotal scenes (like "Bitter Song" by Butterfly Boucher). Hell, they stopped using opening credits a long time ago but whenever I hear "Cosy in the Rocket" by Psapp, I think of early Grey's.

I've only liked a few of them. I also loved the music they used to choose from current artists.

I thought the covers were horrible and far more tragic than Sandra Oh's departure. Each time one came on, I'd get taken out of what scraps of storyline there were to puzzle over which song from my teen years was being tortured into emo dreck. And, once I figured it out, there was the moment of "Say WHAT? Oh, NO they didn't!" But they did. And kept doing it. And made me really miss the early seasons of Grey's when the music introduced me to new artists (Bryn Christopher, for example) instead of sending me into a rage. Paws off the eighties tunes next season, music "designers." Move on to the 90s if you want - I'm sure there's no lack of drippy crying warblers who can screw up "Smells Like Teen Spirit."

Edited by potatoradio
  • Like 4

What the show soundtrack during Lexi death?

Hello. :)

Since 2 days I'm tryin' to find this soundtrackt but I can't, does anyone knows the name ?