Jump to content
SilverStormm

The Last O.G.

Recommended Posts

So the week after Tray slings again, and his daughter catches him and records it, her decision is to ... not tell anyone, and ignore his calls? There is no other fall out? Meanwhile, the show reveals Josh was once a drug user, I guess to make it more OK that Tray sells (but doesn't use) drugs? And THEN, after showing signs of intelligence in avoiding Bobby and the drug scene, Tray forgives Bobby for a deli tray? And Shay thinks Josh is cheating and goes ballistic, yet she knew of his past drug use, he hasn't cheated before and she doesn't even ask him what's going on?

I am reluctantly coming to the conclusion that all of these characters are idiots.  Which is OK, there are lots of TV shows where the characters are idiots. I just had higher hopes for this one, because it started out being funny AND being about something (the return of a thoughtful felon to a neighborhood and society that had changed, and his attempts to be part of it again). It's not nearly as interesting if it's about ridiculous behavior and easy laughs. 

Edited by Ottis
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, Ottis said:

So the week after Tray slings again, and his daughter catches him and records it, her decision is to ... not tell anyone, and ignore his calls? There is no other fall out? Meanwhile, the show reveals Josh was once a drug user, I guess to make it more OK that Tray sells (but doesn't use) drugs? And THEN, after showing signs of intelligence in avoiding Bobby and the drug scene, Tray forgives Bobby for a deli tray? And Shay thinks Josh is cheating and goes ballistic, yet she knew of his past drug use, he hasn't cheated before and she doesn't even ask him what's going on?

I am reluctantly coming to the conclusion that all of these characters are idiots.  Which is OK, there are lots of TV shows where the characters are idiots. I just had higher hopes for this one, because it started out being funny AND being about something (the return of a thoughtful felon to a neighborhood and society that had changed, and his attempts to be part of it again). It's not nearly as interesting if it's about ridiculous behavior and easy laughs. 

i was going to  post the same thing. why is his daughter not saying anything ? didn't like the twist where josh was a herion addict. shay doesn't know he's a drug counselor and visits clients?  i had higher hopes too. the last 2 shows were bad. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/26/2018 at 7:54 AM, msrachelj said:

i was going to  post the same thing. why is his daughter not saying anything ? didn't like the twist where josh was a herion addict. shay doesn't know he's a drug counselor and visits clients?  i had higher hopes too. the last 2 shows were bad. 

He's not a counselor with clients. He's a sponsor, which means he's a volunteer. He likely has a sponsor, too, in case he feels the urge to relapse. It's odd that Shay doesn't know he's a sponsor, though.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I hope this is the last we will see of Tracy Morgan in those fake cornrows. Everyone fit in their 2002 roles except Tracey. No amount of makeup or hair could make him look younger than the 50 year old that he is. Tray was supposed to be in the prime of his life in 2002 and yet he looked more like the over-the-hill "OG" trying to keep up with the young'ns then than 2018 Tray.

The actress who played Shay's mom was perfect at being a crackhead.I miss the old days when it was cool just to have a cell phone period. We aren't evolved enough as a species to have access to all this social media LOL.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

This show definitely needs to stick to the present-day. Particularly because when they do the flashbacks, the tone seems to shift more into drama and it doesn't work, especially with Tracy Morgan looking like that! I feel like the show started off so well and the last handful of episodes have just felt like they already lost steam. (Although Shay's mom last night was HILARIOUS.)

Edited by gesundheit
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/30/2018 at 3:19 PM, gesundheit said:

This show definitely needs to stick to the present-day. Particularly because when they do the flashbacks, the tone seems to shift more into drama and it doesn't work, especially with Tracy Morgan looking like that! I feel like the show started off so well and the last handful of episodes have just felt like they already lost steam. (Although Shay's mom last night was HILARIOUS.)

 

Tracy's looks aside, I liked last night's episode.  It filled in lots of gaps, and there were some funny parts, too.  I like Tracy's commentaries at the end: Tray Barker wasn't bad;  he was just 180 degrees from being good!

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Thank god Tray didn’t shoot Wavy. That would have been truly stupid for the show. 

Even more stupid than Tray selling drugs again, which didn’t tie to anything in the end so what was the point?

That last episode was very good, and is more what this show should be about. If they can keep that tone I’m in for season 2. 

Edited by Ottis
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/6/2018 at 9:36 PM, Ottis said:

Thank god Tray didn’t shoot Wavy. Thy would have been truly stupid for the show. 

And all his dopey halfway house co-conspirators would have been sent back to jail, too.  And possubly Bobby if the gun was traced back to him. Tray really wan't thinking about anyone else. Except for the end with Bobby, when he didn't damage his memory of his brother.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Finally got around to catching the last couple of episodes.  I'll agree with the posters who said it was moronic betrayal of the entire premise of the show to suddenly have Tray selling drugs, even if it was for a good cause and even if it was fairly amusing that they were making a mess of using the terrible Kevin Costner Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves as a guide.  We're supposed to buy that the guy we've been watching for a half dozen episodes at that point choking down some serious aggravation with the changing world and his place in it because he's determined to do better for himself and the kids who have just began to really accept him in their lives is going to risk throwing all that away?  Even worse, there was no followup on his daughter finding out and then the entire story was dropped to rush headlong into whether Wavy set him up and was he going to kill him, which also would have been stupidly out of character along with making accomplices of every single one of the halfway house crew and likely Bobby too. 

But the entire back half of the season felt like they didn't have quite enough material to work with and started just throwing things out there.  So the epitome of gentrified white guys is a former heroin addict and oh, he's also a secret NA sponsor but forgot to mention it to his wife?  The whole subplot seemed designed to give Tiffany Haddish some meaty material to work with.  Still, there's something about Josh and Tray being able to appreciate each other that's compelling.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Tracy Morgan will be releasing The Last OG Cookbook in April 2019

Quote

Featuring “80 Soulful Recipes With Street Credit,” the book includes an introduction written by Morgan with a focus on community and love.

“This project is really special to me,” Morgan said in a statement. “I can throw down in the kitchen, so I’m excited to put these recipes in a book packed with soul and bold in-your-face flavors. The most important ingredient is love. I want this book to not only inspire mad culinary skills, but give back to the Brooklyn community where I grew up.”

In addition to the soulful recipes of The Last O.G. Cookbook — covering everything from wacky originals like Dessert Loaf and Chopped Cheese Dip to reinterpreted African-American classics such as Tray’s To Die Dreaming Fried Chicken and Waffles and Shay’s Repast Spaghetti — brief sections of the book will focus on pressing social issues including mass incarceration, food deserts, and re-entry challenges.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×