David T. Cole

Guy's Grocery Games

3 hours ago, spiderpig said:

Just finished the Judges Thanksgiving Dinner episode and it was the best GGG ever.  I was salivating over every single dish.

I loved it, too. Watched it yesterday and just recovered from the deleted shows on my TiVo so I can watch it again. I think the good relationship between (most of) the judges is one of the things that makes most of the episodes with them so fun to watch.

Edited to add that Melissa D'Arabian is a big exception to the above. And Catherine whatsherface, the blonde woman who is not actually a chef.

Edited by jcbrown
  • Like 2

@suebee12, you may want to put spoiler tags on the results of the Ultimate Thanksgiving Challenge in case there are others like me who haven't seen it yet. I didn't expect to get spoiled for that show in this thread. I agree with everything you said, though.

1 hour ago, jcbrown said:

@suebee12, you may want to put spoiler tags on the results of the Ultimate Thanksgiving Challenge in case there are others like me who haven't seen it yet. I didn't expect to get spoiled for that show in this thread. I agree with everything you said, though.

Sorry, jcbrown, hanging head in shame! This was the only place I could think to put it. I also read the results online which is how I knew last names.

• Like 1

Just watched the $12 challenge and boy were those chefs good! Who can think that fast? I did question steak for $3 dollars plus a little and shrimp for $3.11 but still they came up with some great sounding dishes! I liked all of the people on tonight and hope we get to see some of them again. I think the runner-up might have won if she had made a salad and had bread on the side but gee, they only had $12 so what could one expect? I did like how the winner saved some money back so she could get something additional after she had thought about it. When she had $4 left over, I wondered why she wasn't using all of her money but then she showed me. I even liked that the winner didn't have to run all over the store...wonder if that was due to her nerve injury? I was yelling, OreganO to her...even I got that one quickly! All in all, a very enjoyable show.

• Like 3

I enjoyed it too.  I think my favorite part though was seeing that Eric Greenspan finally shaved his awful black stubble.  I've always liked him but I found him hard to look at with all those whiskers on his double chins and neck.  He looks MUCH better.

• Like 4

I liked that the episode came down to the two women. More often there's only one competing against three men and the show ends up being a sausage fest competition wise because the women usually get knocked off first. It was nice that the $12 was the only snag put upon them and there weren't any mandatory hinky ingredients that had to be used.

Edited by Jaded
  • Like 5

The running around for the $20K has always bugged me, so I always love it when they dispense with it! And Jamie (?) was so great at this game in particular!  But I bet Guy brings the other finalist back, because he was totally into her.

• Like 1

Watched the DDD/GGG semi-finals? last night.  I did not want southern wrestlers/chefs to win.  I couldn't stand the wife's accent.  She called apples, "opples".  My husband asked, "What the hell are opples?"  Didn't know that was a southern thing.  Happy for team New Mexico, although I think they won more because of the other teams' mistakes than their own dishes.

On 1/10/2019 at 10:47 AM, roughing it said:

Watched the DDD/GGG semi-finals? last night.  I did not want southern wrestlers/chefs to win.  I couldn't stand the wife's accent.  She called apples, "opples".  My husband asked, "What the hell are opples?"  Didn't know that was a southern thing.  Happy for team New Mexico, although I think they won more because of the other teams' mistakes than their own dishes.

Just watching this now.  I honestly did not understand what she was trying to say. Opple waffles and chicken that she was not going to put in the fraaaaarrr served with coconut serp. They were the most annoying team, followed by the somewhat dim but affable mother-daughter team. I liked the team that went home first the best. I need good people on these episodes to try to offset the awfulness that is Robert Irvine.

Edited by jcbrown · Reason: I forgot about the serp
  • Like 1

The team that won (Colletti's ???) I thought were the weakest team of the 3.  But they are good friends with Guy, so...…. shenanigans??

• Like 2

5 hours ago, roughing it said:

The team that won (Colletti's ???) I thought were the weakest team of the 3.  But they are good friends with Guy, so...…. shenanigans??

It seemed like it. I was surprised they won because like you I didn't think they were the ones who should have been chosen to win either.

Edited by Jaded
  • Like 1

Being a Friend of Guy never hurts you on this show.  The other team had no shot.  Aside from not being a Guy crony, they were gay. And those people just weird him out. 

I liked the two women the best on this episode, too. And though I can't cite sources at the moment, I have read that Guy is not the homophobe the interwebs purports him to be. I mean, he's friends with the godawful Robert Irvine and that is damn near unforgivable but I have read pieces quoting those who work with him that claim he is a good human being and not homophobic.

Edited by jcbrown

Is anyone else watching Winner Cake All with little big head(and her girls?) It is evident that enough time is not given to the contestants to do a really great cake but some of the winners have had good cakes. The connection to GGG? Last night the bakers had to make a cake for the 250th episode of the show. Guy didn't pick out the winning cake but he sent Aarti Sequeria and his son Hunter to judge. Two of the cakes were decorated nicely but I think Hunter and Aarti picked the right cake. The best tasting cake didn't win because it fell apart. I felt so bad for that team but even if the cake hadn't fallen apart, I don't think it would have won because the decorating lacked a lot except for the "red light special" part. It will be fun to see if they include the party on the actual show!!

Guy is really working on making Hunter a TV presence isn't he?  I wasn't very surprised by his appearance on Winner Cake All because it made some sense but then Guy had him sit in as a judge on the regular show.  I don't like to see a kid barely out of his teens given equal status to legitimate chefs but, hey, he's better than Robert Irvine so there's that.

• Like 2