BaseOps

Grey's Anatomy: B-Team [Web Series]

From ABC: 

ABC and Shondaland are bringing you a six-episode web series, Grey’s Anatomy: B-Team. The full show, which follows the latest batch of newbie doctors as they navigate their way through Grey Sloan Memorial, will be available for streaming on ABC.com and the ABC app starting Thursday.

Written by Barbara Kaye Friend with series regular Sarah Drew making her directorial debut, the digital series focuses on the new interns’ first day as surgeons forced to tackle the pressures of high-stakes medicine and difficult patients under the watchful and stern eye of Chandra Wilson‘s Chief Bailey.

Grey’s Anatomy: B-Team stars Sophia Taylor Ali (Dahlia Qadri), Jake Borelli (Levi Schmitt), Alex Blue Davis (Casey Parker), Jaicy Elliot (Taryn Helm), Rushi Kota (Vik Roy) and Jeanine Mason (Samantha “Sam” Bello). 

The series will also include appearances by Justin Chambers (Alex Karev), Kelly McCreary (Maggie Pierce), Kevin McKidd (Owen Hunt) and James Pickens Jr. (Richard Webber).

I really didn't want to do dishes, so I sat down to watch these (I think I still have the 6th one to watch) and....I'm wondering why they are doing this?  I have nothing against web series--I've seen several shows do them as fun little asides with existing characters.  It just seems strange that a show would do this sort of thing to introduce new characters, consider only a small fraction of their audience will actually watch this.  And, I can't say that these videos are endearing any of the characters to me (except Glasses, but we already knew him from the show proper).

• Like 1

This group bores me. They are nothing like the five we started out with twelve years ago. The difference between this group and M-A-G-I-C is that the original five actually had something. Over time, each character (Alex taking the longest IMO) fleshed out and became individuals we could care about or form a proper opinion of. We could have them with a just reasoning, or we could love them. Or whatever.
Cristina was motivated to be a hard-core cardio god. It was clear from the first episode.
Meredith brought a lot of baggage to the table, but she was determined to do her work.

The three that I were not fond of at the beginning of the series were George and Alex. I never became fond of Izzie.

This group though? I can say I have an interest in Taryn or whatever her name is, but that's about it. I don't want to watch this series to change my opinion of her, because for all we know, she could become the next Meredith or Jo. Or she could turn into an Izzie or Leah. Or end up dead like Lexie.

Have anyone speculated on who will be next* on Shonda's Kill List?

* Excluding, in order of first appearance: Alex, Webber, Owen, Jackson, Andrew, and probably someone else that I've forgotten.

• Like 1

The only reason I can think for this is to try to introduce the new characters and flesh them out a little before integrating them into storylines on the main show. Perhaps they figured that would help to get people to actually care about them without having to take a side journey to get to know them on the main show, which everyone pretty much always hates.

When they said shorts, they really meant it! I thought they were okay, but extremely forgettable. I find I like them all much more when they're together than separate or in groups of two. Some, ahem, acting choices really left a bit to be desired (looking at you, Dr. Roy...)

29 minutes ago, mehtotheworld said:

When they said shorts, they really meant it! I thought they were okay, but extremely forgettable. I find I like them all much more when they're together than separate or in groups of two. Some, ahem, acting choices really left a bit to be desired (looking at you, Dr. Roy...)

As far as I can tell, Dr. Roy was nothing but an attempt to replicate early Grey's Alex Karev.

• Like 1