SilverStormm

The End Of The F***ing World

On 1/18/2018 at 11:41 PM, JustaPerson said:

In most shows the actors are clearly not teens, but I kept thinking the characters were 14-15 because the actors look so young. In reality they're both in their 20s. 

British shows are usually much, much better with casting either real teens or people that look unquestionably look like teenagers. The fact that they both looked like kids really added to the heartbreak, in my opinion.

• Like 1

I just binged this series last night.  I'm still not sure how much I liked the series.  I think the performances were really good but it still didn't totally click with me and it may be because of the ending.  I like that he knocked her out to prevent her from doing anything to get herself into more trouble and to set her up to be absolved of all crimes but I didn't like the gunshot and fade to black.  It feels a little bit like Schrodinger's Cat and I'd rather the creators picked an end result.

Count me in the camp of thinking he's still alive because killing himself would be selfish (by traumatizing her the way he was by his mom) and the cops killing him would be unnecessary when he had literally nowhere to run to -- he's running in broad daylight on a shore miles away from the nearest city, town or escape route. 

I'd have loved another 3-4 episodes in this season because I liked watching them change in each other's company but I can't see a second season working.  (I don't see what journey they could take that was interesting for itself, did justice to their growth over these episodes, and wasn't a downer of them getting worse together rather than better -- 2 out of the 3 maybe but I can't envision all 3 together.) 

On 4/9/2018 at 5:06 PM, rab01 said:

Count me in the camp of thinking he's still alive because killing himself would be selfish (by traumatizing her the way he was by his mom) and the cops killing him would be unnecessary when he had literally nowhere to run to -- he's running in broad daylight on a shore miles away from the nearest city, town or escape route. 

Yes on both counts. That's exactly what I was thinking. 

Just binged this. What a surprisingly good show; it was not what I expected (and was dreading) at all. 

My expectations: some tedious teen angst involving too-cool-for-school precocious twats. 

The reality: A darkly humorous, bittersweet gem of a series. 

Edited by Pindrop
  • Like 4

On 2/10/2018 at 9:53 PM, wayne67 said:

Yeah I don't buy that he's a psychopath or a sociopath, the more likely option is he's just traumatized by something in his backstory and he's shut down and trying to deal with it in a really messed up way.

He's had plenty of chances to kill her and he's not done it. I'm really hoping this isn't going to be a 'lover conquers mental illness' plot. It's looking bad so far. 

So much this.

That said, does three in row count as binge watching?

As if it wasn't enough that I was 65% all in from the trailer, this ep featured Hank Williams. And not III, but The King (forget Jr., talent skipped a generation).

That's it.  If there was any hesitation before, it's gone, It may be the bottle of Pinot Grigio talking, but I'm down. 

Show, don't fail me now.

So I just watched this whole thing and I LOVED IT!!!!

What can they possibly do in a second season though? I think the key is the two of them together, but how can that be the case now? If, for example they had managed to steal the boat and get on their way over the channel and left it sort of ambiguous, then yes I could see a second season.

But with this ending? I don't know what they could do, unless it's just a completely different story. But even so, the appeal of this was definitely the two of them as a pair, so replicating that would be essential somehow, and with that ending I don't see how that's possible.

• Like 1