GHScorpiosRule

From Across The Pond: Royal Weddings and Scandals

On 12/23/2018 at 4:57 PM, shang yiet said:

I follow the going-ons of the royals for the fun of it. I don't adore any one of them and I dont give a damn about them except for the entertainment they provide me.

I don' t hate.Meghan but if I want to, I will. She gets her fair share of love from devoted fans so if others want to hate her for non - racial reasons, feel free.

I would add that I find the deification of "outsiders" to the royal family -- Diana, Meghan, Kate -- to be annoying, as though everything they do is right and everything the royal family does is wrong.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

Unless the argument is that she just shouldn't ever do the speech then I'm not really following the criticism....her whole family lives in legit palaces and their "jobs" are literally being powerful/influential rich people. Even if you don't believe in the monarchy, which is a fair position, fixating on the ruling monarch being visibly wealthy is....odd.

Edited by bluphoenix451
  • Like 20

56 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

Obviously, they were more interested in the setting than in the CONTENT of Her Majesty's speech which I thought was both timely and timeless! 

And any chance they'll blast non-Royals on either side of the Pond for their homes?

• Like 6

Look I can see the complaint if she went out and bought a new gold piano.   But it's a hand me down.

From Queen Victoria, but still a hand me down.

• Like 22

That’s just people looking to have something to complain about.  If she had stood in front of an old door they would have complained that she’s slumming and trying to look ordinary when everyone knows she’s wealthy.

• Like 13

Meghan dressed in all black looked like she was going to a funeral.  

*just tapping my chin and waiting to be called a hater, lol*

• Like 2

I read reports that it was navy, but I still thought it was a little too dark for Christmas morning.  I also would like Meghan to experiment with hats; I don’t believe her recent styles have been particularly flattering.

• Like 1

If Meghan starts experimenting with hats then people will probably start accusing her of trying to upstage the Queen. Seems to me like no matter what she does or doesn't wear,  something about it is deemed wrong. If she and Harry have a little girl I'm already afraid of what excessive scrutiny that poor child will be subjected to.

• Like 19

2 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Meghan dressed in all black looked like she was going to a funeral.  

*just tapping my chin and waiting to be called a hater, lol*

But Harry and Will wearing black is okay, hm?

• Like 15

50 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

I read reports that it was navy, but I still thought it was a little too dark for Christmas morning. 

Ok, I thought maybe my monitor was off or something. I've seen other comments about the dark coloring of her outfit.  It never once crossed my mind that it was too dark.  As a matter of fact, looking at it I thought it was really chic.  The knit sheath dress, the lovely coat with the bright gold buttons, the killer purse, the snappy leather gloves and the funky boots -- very nice.  The only thing I don't like is the hat.  I hate that shape.  But I think the blue feathers were a neat touch.

I think her outfit is only dark when one compares it the the bright red Kate is wearing.  But this is the first time Kate has worn anything so bright.  If you look back at Sandringham visits in the past, Kate has worn very dark -- dare I say drab -- colors (one year it was olive military green, one year dark purple, one year  brownish oatmeal color, and another year navy blue) with nary a comment.

I wonder if Kate had decided to wear navy like everyone else -- Harry, William, Meghan, Eugenie, Zara etc. -- if this would have even come up? 

• Like 11

I really liked  Kate’s outfit. 

Meghan’s seemed rather plain and almost casual for Christmas service, not that she needed to be blinged out, but her outfit was very forgettable. I suspect she’s more focused on comfort than style at this point though, considering she’s due in what?  3-4 months?

• Like 9

2 hours ago, DearEvette said:

I thought she was wearing Navy.

Yeah maybe it was navy, but it looked somber for a Christmas outfit.

1 hour ago, Silver Raven said:

But Harry and Will wearing black is okay, hm?

Yes.

• Like 2

I heard on Instagram Camilla missed because she had a cold, Philip also chose to sit out and celebrate privately with his family.  He must not be feeling well these days. Of course at 97 he’s perfectly well within his rights to only go where he wants, but I have missed seeing him. At least he made it to Eugene’s wedding.

I wonder who takes the little ones in while the adults walk....the nanny I suppose. 

@Ohwell I thought Meghan’s outfit was on the somber side for Christmas too. On my monitors Kate’s outfit looked more cranberry than primary red- just perfect for the holiday, I said up thread how much I liked it, I do love colors. 

• Like 3

Last year Kate wore a very festive plaid outfit, IIRC.

Meghan's outfit this year is all navy blue, and it's all Victoria Beckham (coat, dress and shoes). The Fug Girls theorized that she was out shopping, stepped into the shop all tired and was all, "Fuck it, let's get this all done in one trip." 

• Like 3

On 12/25/2018 at 12:26 PM, Minneapple said:

Look at Meghan and Kate gritting their teeth and getting along on the walk to Sandringham.

Meghan: bitch I'm thinking about shoving you in the back

Kate: She's so much more bloated than I was in my pregnancies. Hah!

Harry: there's Will. I hate him.

Will: what do I do with these flowers? 

And yet ABC news tonight talked about how Will and Harry were walking with their wives between them, with their hands in their pockets, not looking at each other.

• Like 5

I don't understand why it's okay for Will and Harry to wear black, but it's not okay for Meghan to do so. That seems like a double standard, IMO.

• Like 13

24 minutes ago, PepSinger said:

I don't understand why it's okay for Will and Harry to wear black, but it's not okay for Meghan to do so. That seems like a double standard, IMO.

Maybe because men are usually the ones who wear/are expected to wear “darker” colors (black, brown, navy, gray, khaki, etc., even though the last 2 aren’t “dark” colors, per se). I mean, you rarely see many men in pastels. Whereas, women usually tend to wear darker colors just for more somber occasions, like funerals, & for going to church with their in-laws on Christmas. (I dunno. This was the best I could come up with; especially at 20 until 4 in the morning, local time. But it makes at least a little sense to me.)

• Like 3

If William and Harry were in all black, I would think it is too somber, but William has a purple scarf and Harry has a light tie to bring some relief.  I think Meghan just needed a splash of color - scarf, necklace, hat, something - to break up the monotone, especially a dark monotone on a cheerful morning celebration.  I also think she pulls off the wider brim hats like a boss and prefer that silhouette on her.  No biggie; just my preference.

Now body language “experts” are saying Kate and Meghan’s body language show it was all just a performance and they really don’t like each other.  The tabloids just can’t let this go, can they?  So annoying.

• Like 3

Again.  I've only seen this "Women wear darker colors only  on somber occasions" "Women wearing black looks like they're going to a funeral" "Christmas attire means bright colors!" chatter when I read comments surrounding the royals.  In real life, I haven't seen women do this for  two, going on three decades.  Women wear darker color, including black for festive occasions -yes, including Christmas and weddings - all the damn time.  Matter-of-fact, the women I see today of all ages are more likely to wear darker colors than bright ones.  I haven't heard so much talk on when and where it's proper to wear black since childhood. 

MissAlmond - who wore black on Christmas Eve/Day and looked fabulous!

• Like 24

I don't know if there's tension between the Sussex family and the Cambridge family.  Probably not.  I really don't care either way.  I only look at royals for the fashion.

• Like 3

I actually think Harry was wearing navy blue too. Maybe he and Meghan just felt very matchy-matchy for Christmas?

Here, look:

Edited by Minneapple
  • Like 7

15 hours ago, bijoux said:

Not a fan of Kate’s bigheadband phase.

Me either, although I like the color of her ensemble.

Meghan likes navy blue - it seems to be a favorite of hers.  She does like to choose more low key color profile outfits when she's in the UK. 

I loved all the color that she wore on their overseas tour - especially the red dress in Fiji?  The color looked amazing on her.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, PepSinger said:

There have always been different rules for the way men and women dress*. Honestly, I think if Harry or William showed up in an all red or all green suit, the blowback would be even more pronounced than there is against Meghan's navy because, from a man's fashion perspective, that'd be considered quite flashy.

*Not that it's always fair nor do I care what colors royals choose to wear.

• Like 4

this is shallow of me, but I figured that celebs who are pregnant cradle their bump for photos to say, "im pregnant, not fat."

• Like 3

I think navy is a color Meghan likes; it seems to me she's worn things in navy often before.  Somehow I have the feeling if she appeared in a bright color, she would have been slammed for being attention-grabbing and trying to outshine the Queen. 

These "body language experts" make me laugh.  Did any of them think that the members of the RF are not supposed to be interacting with each other on the walk to the church, but instead are supposed to engage with the crowd?

• Like 16

I know nothing about fashion and what colors go together, but having said that, Prince Charles’ camel coat and shoes look horrible, to my eye, with his grey suit.  He looks like he has on pj pants and slippers.8E3CAFA3-B174-4337-9E76-B766076FCDAA.jpeg.fe71cfc59d0e52eb3e0871172ce899c4.jpegHere is a look at the type of outfit favored by the Queen’s grandson-in-law for Christmas: https://people.com/royals/mike-tindall-talks-christmas-royal-family-queen-elizabeth/

Edited by Mittengirl
  • Like 3

I wonder if Charles is beginning to shrink a bit - his trousers look just a little long.  I agree that the camel color and the gray look terrible together.  The contrast between the two colors makes him look short, especially next to his sons.  I don't think Catherine and Meghan would let William and Harry out like that.

All the men have their hands in their pockets.  Perhaps next year they will get gloves for Christmas.  Also, in addition to focusing on the onlookers as I mentioned above, I think Harry was concentrating on Meghan during this walk, probably concerned about his pregnant wife and those heels she has on.  That's why he's not looking at William, not because they now loathe each other!

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Calvada said:

I think navy is a color Meghan likes; it seems to me she's worn things in navy often before.  Somehow I have the feeling if she appeared in a bright color, she would have been slammed for being attention-grabbing and trying to outshine the Queen.

I think it is pretty fair to say that she just doesn't do pops of color very often.  She trends toward darker colors (blues, blacks and darker greens) or neutrals (greys, creams, beiges).  That is her personal aesthetic which is fine.  It looks clean and classic, imo.  Personally, I'd love to see her embrace more color.  During the South Seas  trip, I thought her best looks were when she wore that lovely bright red dress, the long, slim darker cranberry red (which was a blink and you'll miss it de-planing dress),  and the skinny pants with the burgundy peplum jacket.  But those are my likes for her.  I am not one to project the fact that she doesn't embrace my likes translate into some fashion failure on her part.

She doesn't do flounce or frill.  She likes a very structured, almost architectural style.  This is why Victoria Beckham is very much in her wheelhouse because that sort of structured look is very much a staple of Beckham's collections.  I think for the most part it works for her.  She has a thin frame that suits those styles best.

This isn't to say she has had some objectively bad fashion choices, that just did't look good period.  The times she has worn more fussy things (such as that blue and white dress she wore at that wedding) it tended to overwhelm her. Also when she wears fuller leg pants, I think those swallow her.  And don't flatter her.  I also think the dress she wore when she visited the retired actors during Christmas was wrong for the season and was wrong for her present condition. It was a cute dress that would have looked nice on her, say,this coming Spring or Summer after she popped the kid (or kids?). 

• Like 7

5 hours ago, MadyGirl1987 said:

And the first 2 don’t count, as they say. I’m just wondering WTF took them so long to add this person to this list. I’d have done it sooner. Maybe the Duchess wanted to give said person a chance to get over it before asking for help (Shrugs). I’m glad she/whomever took action before the baby arrives though.

Said person has also recently made their Twitter account private (meaning new followers have to be approved by the account owner & posts to the account can only be read by the approved followers of said account, not just anybody who happens to be on Twitter or anybody in general who decides they wanna go to Twitter & see the shitshow of anti-Duchess of Sussex/British Royal Family Tweets posted by said person in the last year plus—I’ll bet before the last year & a bit, the now Duchess of Sussex hardly ever figured in said person’s social media account or accounts).

Said person also denies they’re fixated & threatens to sue over being called that/placed on that list (said person threatens to sue over something somehow tied to being placed on the Fixated Persons List, anyway).

Edited by BW Manilowe · Reason: To add comments.
  • Like 1

Smart move by Scotland Yard.    And of course, she proves her need to be placed on the LIst by pitching a fit and claiming she did nothing wrong -- it's all the Duchess' fault of course.   God woman, get a life.

Meanwhile, they released the list of engagements worked by Royals this year.     I know Duchess Kate was on maternity leave but even Duchess Meaghan who was only Royal for part of the year did more than she.    What really surprised me was the numbers that Andrew and Edward put up.   Quite high.   Edward did more than Sophie and you hear about her engagements a lot.    Princess Anne kicked everyone's ass again.   Even Charles'.    

• Like 7

1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

Smart move by Scotland Yard.    And of course, she proves her need to be placed on the LIst by pitching a fit and claiming she did nothing wrong -- it's all the Duchess' fault of course.   God woman, get a life.

Meanwhile, they released the list of engagements worked by Royals this year.     I know Duchess Kate was on maternity leave but even Duchess Meaghan who was only Royal for part of the year did more than she.    What really surprised me was the numbers that Andrew and Edward put up.   Quite high.   Edward did more than Sophie and you hear about her engagements a lot.    Princess Anne kicked everyone's ass again.   Even Charles'.    

I’ve heard it said, & I think it’s even been mentioned here, that they may be “going easy” on how many engagements they expect Catherine & William to fulfill so that they can have ample time to be as close to a “normal” family as they can be, for now (given the “not normal for most people” circumstances William & the children were born into & Catherine married into), considering their future involves being the monarch & his family at some point in time.

As for Meghan, I’m not sure it’s that surprising she did more engagements than Catherine, although you have to consider at least some of the reason Catherine did fewer was because she was on maternity leave before (thanks to her hyperemesis gravidarum) & after Prince Louis was born (& who knows how many of Meghan’s engagements were done before Meghan herself became pregnant?). I remember Meghan said, in that TV interview she did with Harry, William & Catherine before the wedding, that she was ready/eager to hit the ground running—though she added “when she became a Royal” to that, as I remember.

Edited by BW Manilowe · Reason: To add punctuation and change a phrase.
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

Princess Anne kicked everyone's ass again.   Even Charles'.    

I read in Macleans that while Anne works more days, Charles packs more events into each working day putting him just ahead of Anne in terms of engagements. I like their breakdown and analysis because I think it speaks to how the family is working the transition as the Queen is aging. They point out that while she's doing as many engagements as last year, the types are changing and Charles, Anne and William are overseeing more investitures to help the Queen with events that typically would require her to stand for long periods of time.

• Like 4

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 7:27 AM, merylinkid said:

Edward did more than Sophie and you hear about her engagements a lot

Edward and Sophie are underappreciated but that's a good thing because it means they can do their job(s) and then be left in peace. 

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Like 8

13 hours ago, MadyGirl1987 said:

8 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

And the first 2 don’t count, as they say. I’m just wondering WTF took them so long to add this person to this list. I’d have done it sooner.

This is awesome, I wonder if her father is going to end up on the list?

I think they waited to see if Samantha would get a clue & stop on her own before doing anything, but at this point, it's obviously not going to happen. Since the baby is coming, they wanted to make sure she couldn't show up some place where the baby was & start screaming about how she (or her father) were being kept away from her niece/nephew, or some other kind of disturbance.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

I’m just wondering WTF took them so long to add this person to this list. I’d have done it sooner.

My guess is her little trip to England earlier this year was the final straw. They probably figured Samantha was harmless and just an annoying gnat while all she was doing was tweeting and blabbering to any gutter press that would entertain her, as long as it was done all the way across the pond. Not to mention she is wheelchair bound. But that little stunt with the loser, so called "publicist" (who unsurprisingly has quickly extricated himself from that sinking ship) was a step too far. Not only did she show up at Kensington Gardens but the tweet the guy sent before hand very much could have been read as threatening, with their essentially demanding they be given an audience with Meghan "or else"'.

Samantha's deluded sense of importance and probably some delusion that Meghan would still think of her as a "sibling" no matter how fucking obnoxious and antagonistic she's been likely never made her think for a second that a step like this would be taken. Where essentially they are pretty much calling her what she is - a delusional, arrogant, antagonistic nutjob who is harassing another individual. I don't know why she's so upset though, considering the history that's online about her. She should be used to restraining orders against her by now. 

• Like 14

3 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Lady Louise photographed attending church with the Family.

lady-louise-windsor-rare-appearance-t.jp

I think Lady Louise has her father’s eyes. Maybe his eyebrows too.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, GaT said:

This is awesome, I wonder if her father is going to end up on the list?

I think they waited to see if Samantha would get a clue & stop on her own before doing anything, but at this point, it's obviously not going to happen. Since the baby is coming, they wanted to make sure she couldn't show up some place where the baby was & start screaming about how she (or her father) were being kept away from her niece/nephew, or some other kind of disturbance.

I think her father probably deserves to be on the list too; but if Meghan, moreso than her protection officer(s), is behind this maybe she doesn’t wanna potentially burn that bridge yet, so she hasn’t dropped the hammer on that yet.

I think they waited to see if Samantha would stop on her own too—I tried to say that in my post; maybe I did it too unclearly. Obviously she didn’t, or else she wouldn’t be in this position.

Yeah. Since Samantha’s MS obviously isn’t keeping her from flying across an ocean, let alone flying anywhere, I think they felt they had to do something before the baby comes; not just so Samantha couldn’t show up somewhere & make a scene about Meghan, Harry, & the baby (babies?), but so Samantha doesn’t try to do something really off the wall, like maybe take him/her (them?) to Mexico to see Grandpa if she could come up with a way to do it & not get caught on that side of “the pond”. (I’m not sure I’d put it past her)

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

I think Lady Louise has her father’s eyes. Maybe his eyebrows too.

Yes: his mother's. As is her smile -- the expression more than her features. 

• Like 5

It makes me happy whenever I see Lady Louise.  I remember how bad things looked for her and Sophie when Louise was born. 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, MissAlmond said:

It makes me happy whenever I see Lady Louise.  I remember how bad things looked for her and Sophie when Louise was born. 

How bad things looked? I don’t recall this- can you expand?

Given Lady Louise and James are so much younger than their first cousins (grandkids to the queen), they get lumped in with the great grands a lot- its super cute to see Lady Louise as the “big cousin” helping wrangle the Littles like at the Sussex wedding. 

• Like 6