GHScorpiosRule

From Across The Pond: Royal Weddings and Scandals

4 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

the casual "meh" reactions or people who simply don't agree that she's the bees knees all the time. 

Yeah, that would be me.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, truthaboutluv said:

I can count on one hand the number of times I've posted in their threads on this board (and it's usually been in relation to Kanye whose music I was a fan of long before he met and married Kim), the number of times I've watched their reality show and when they show up on my social media feeds because the entertainment magazines will post about them, I scroll. I do not hate the Kardashians, I simply give zero fucks about them. So I don't post about them, read about them, etc. I don't care.

From social media I know Cardi B and Nicki Minaj are feuding about something.  Don't ask me the who, what, where, or why's because I don't care and scroll on by.  That's indifference.  

• Like 17

2 hours ago, DearEvette said:

I think the people who get online and call her names, make disparaging remarks about her class and her race, insist that she is a gold-digger, try to paint her as some Diva actress who simply isn't good enough for the pristine Monarchy, believes that she has ties to Muslim terrorists, and makes poor Kate cry on the regular are people that tend to get called out as haters.  Those people aren't just the casual "meh" reactions or people who simply don't agree that she's the bees knees all the time. 

Forgot to add that I'm not on any social media, so all I know about what's being said about her is what I get from news shows, articles, Access Hollywood and this forum.  

1 hour ago, truthaboutluv said:

This. I should think it is obvious that no one is saying that anyone who doesn't care about Meghan is a hater or awful.

No, it's not obvious at all.  YMMV

• Like 2

3 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

This. I should think it is obvious that no one is saying that anyone who doesn't care about Meghan is a hater or awful. YMMV to suggest otherwise seems like willful ignorance in my opinion. Here's the difference between indifference and plain vitriolic hate. 

The indifferent person scrolls through their social media, sees something about Meghan and thinks, "eh, whatever..." They might throw in a "I hate that outfit" and even an "oh god, another story about her" and move on. 

What is not indifference is posting on every celebrity social media page that has a picture of her with comments about how fake and an actress she is holding her pregnant belly, how much of an attention whore and lacking class she is for holding her pregnant belly, ranting about her being disrespectful to the Queen and the entire royal institution for everything from the way she walks, talks, etc. It's not headlines suggesting she's colluding with terrorists, or that she made another woman cry because she's so awful. That is not indifference. 

Hell I can give a personal example. I am indifferent to the Kardashians.  I can count on one hand the number of times I've posted in their threads on this board (and it's usually been in relation to Kanye whose music I was a fan of long before he met and married Kim), the number of times I've watched their reality show and when they show up on my social media feeds because the entertainment magazines will post about them, I scroll. I do not hate the Kardashians, I simply give zero fucks about them. So I don't post about them, read about them, etc. I don't care.

That's indifference and there's nothing wrong with anyone being indifferent to Meghan or any other famous person. And I feel fairly certain that not a single person in this thread was talking about people not caring about Meghan. 

Exactly!  Regarding the bolded part:  I can't stand the Kardashians but I don't spend my time hating on them  (maybe a WTF are they wearing from time to time).  I ignore them and refuse to watch their shows or buy any of their products.  

• Like 11

This seems like a good place for me to dive into this thread.  I don't hate Meghan and I'm not indifferent to her.  I think she's a beautiful, interesting and entertaining person and I like seeing what she's wearing.  I'm thrilled that she and Harry found each other because it's obvious they're head over heels.  It's all good.

BUT  ...   I like Kate more and I'll admit it here.  It doesn't mean I don't like Meghan.  It just means I like Kate more.  I think it's because Kate's personality and way of doing things matches more closely with my personality and way of doing things.  I'm sure there was much angst and name-calling when her and William first started dating and then living together.  The whole Waity Katey business.  Now she's so far removed from that with her husband and three children.  She's moved on and has become firmly established as the future Queen Consort or whatever the fuck. 

I'm hoping Meghan's royal life will follow the same arc.  Lots of to do at the beginning and eventually just Harry's wife who is not hell bent on toppling the monarchy.

Edited by Oosala
  • Like 9

4 minutes ago, Oosala said:

This seems like a good place for me to dive into this thread.  I don't hate Meghan and I'm not indifferent to her.  I think she's a beautiful, interesting and entertaining person and I like seeing what she's wearing.  I'm thrilled that she and Harry found each other because it's obvious they're head over heels.  It's all good.

BUT  ...   I like Kate more and I'll admit it here.  It doesn't mean I don't like Meghan.  It just means I like Kate more.  I think it's because Kate's personality and way of doing things matches more closely with my personality and way of doing things.  I'm sure there was much angst and name-calling when her and William first started dating and then living together.  The whole Waity Katey business.  Now she's so far removed from that with her husband and three children.  She's moved on and has become firmly established as the future Queen Consort or whatever the fuck. 

I'm hoping Meghan's royal life will follow the same arc.  Lots of to do at the beginning and eventually just Harry's wife who is not hell bent on toppling the monarchy.

Once Camilla is Queen Consort I expect that a lot of the negativity will switch back to her.  The press is going to have a field day once Charles is King. 

• Like 7

5 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Nitpicking everything the Duchess does, regardless of how normal it is for everyone else, or others in a similar standing differing opinions. Nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking comes across as "haters gonna hate".

I disagree.  Just because someone nitpicks doesn't make them a hater (or a loser).  I just see it as expressing an opinion on something they don't like about her, like what she wears.  Now if it's racial, misogynistic, bigoted, etc. then that's something else. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

I disagree.  Just because someone nitpicks doesn't make them a hater (or a loser).  I just see it as expressing an opinion on something they don't like about her, like what she wears.  Now if it's racial, misogynistic, bigoted, etc. then that's something else. 

This is where the divide is coming from. Nitpicking is looking for unimportant or small faults to criticize someone unnecessarily. It's not just commenting on something you dislike.

2 hours ago, Oosala said:

I get it, I'm similar. I don't hate Kate, I like her well enough, but I like Meghan best. I hope you're right, that people back off eventually but with Meghan being biracial I don't think it's likely.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, slf said:

Nitpicking is looking for unimportant or small faults to criticize someone unnecessarily.

One person nitpick could easily be something that is important to someone else. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

One person nitpick could easily be something that is important to someone else. 

Nail polish, tho? 

I've nit picked people before but I don't think I could bring myself to do it to a woman who is already being targeted by vicious racists and is pregnant to boot. Nail polish colors and attending celebrity events and panty hose colors is all such small fries "who cares?" shit to begin with.

• Like 10

1 minute ago, slf said:

Nail polish, tho? 

If not dragging people for their nail polish and makeup choices wasn’t important to people a large part of the fashion world and parts of the internet wouldn’t exist.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

If not dragging people for their nail polish and makeup choices wasn’t important to people a large part of the fashion world and parts of the internet wouldn’t exist.

Sites for fashion criticism existing doesn't make fashion criticism important, lol. I have hobbies that I devote a lot of time to but they aren't important in the grand scheme of things (ditto my job) and I don't mind admitting that. Something being important to me doesn't make it objectively important.

And her nail polish was being criticized in the context of breaking some super important palace protocol that simply doesn't exist making it well and truly nit picking.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, slf said:

Sites for fashion criticism existing doesn't make fashion criticism important, lol. I

It makes it important to a segment of the population which is my point, what you consider a nitpick isn’t to other people.

3 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

It makes it important to a segment of the population which is my point, what you consider a nitpick isn’t to other people.

Agree to disagree.

I love Meghan's black nail polish.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, bijoux said:

Louis is one of the old man babies. I love those! 

Or a Winston Churchill baby. Of course he liked to say that ALL babies look like him! Still, it would be nice if the Queen lives long enough to tell Prince Louis of Cambridge about her dealings with her first Prime Minister (and with that particular great-grandson being old enough to 'get' what she would be saying). 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

I love how George is just acting like a little boy.  I doubt if his father or grandfather would have been allowed to behave normally.

It is nice to me in general to see the Royal family loosen up a bit. Not only are they endearing intheir photos, but I think it makes them more relatable in general.  

• Like 17

20 hours ago, slf said:

I get it, I'm similar. I don't hate Kate, I like her well enough, but I like Meghan best. I hope you're right, that people back off eventually but with Meghan being biracial I don't think it's likely.

SLF, I agree with you.  I was even going to include that in my post about the race issue.  I'm glad you said it.

• Like 1

On 12/13/2018 at 4:01 PM, slf said:

I hope you're right, that people back off eventually but with Meghan being biracial I don't think it's likely.

And I can't wait to see what they say about the baby.

• Like 2

A nice casual picture of the Cambridge family. I like a picture such as that much more than a really posed picture, with everyone all dressed up.  Louis certainly has his mother's eyebrows.  I hope his hair comes in darker, as it seems it might.  He will be gorgeous with those eyes.  I think Meghan's and Harry's baby will be gorgeous too.  After generations of fair-haired royals with blue eyes, I like that Catherine and Meghan are shaking up the gene pool.

Louis looks like his grandfather Michael Middleton.

• Like 7

I really like both the Sussex's and the Cambridge's holiday photos. I may like the Cambridges more as a holiday photo. The kiddos are cute and look a little ornery and it just feels really warm. The Sussex's photo is gorgeous . It's really a stunning photograph and I hope they have it blown up or on a canvas or something but I don't know if I love it as the holiday photo I think I would have preferred a photo of their faces. 

• Like 12

It's entirely possible I'm reading too much into things but aside from the aesthetics, I'm choosing to view the choice of that picture for Harry and Meghan as a we're in this together, us against the world and oh, all the awful assholes who keep coming for Meghan can kiss their asses (hence the view from behind). Or maybe that's just how petty I would be.

• Like 17

I love the tranquility of Charles and Camilla sitting in the garden.  

I hated last year Christmas photo of William and Kate with the kiddies.  It was too stiff and formal.  Love this one.  George, Charlotte, and Louis all look like Kate's family to me. Not that it means it will hold, those Windsor genes have a sneaking habit of taking over later.  Look at William!  

Love the artistry of Harry and Meghan's photo.  It echoes the lyrics of "Stand by Me" IMO and probably does hold a message to the gossipmongers.   

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Like 8

On 12/13/2018 at 11:22 AM, Ohwell said:

Just because someone doesn't agree with the glorification of Meghan Markle--excuse me, Duchess of Sussex-- does not make them "haters" or "losers."  People can just have differing opinions about her.

And, maybe, she really is a bitch. Sudden power does strange things to people. 

It's funny how the same people complaining about criticism of Meghan Markle have no issue with criticizing the British royal family or another country's culture and traditions.

• Like 2

In the  Christmas photo looks like Prince George of Cambridge is eager to challenge the Duke of Cambridge to a wrestling match- and   thinks he has a chance to actually WIN it! It'll be interesting to see how tall (and big) the Cambridge offspring are even compared to their taller than average parents! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SmithW6079 said:

Sudden power does strange things to people. 

Sudden power?  Outside of British tradition, what real world type power does the royal family actually have?  William couldn't even get tech giants to listen to him.  

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Like 8

Why aren't the rags railing against terrorist threats against members of the Royal family  instead of attempt to conjure credence re two-bit complaints from others who may just want to profit via selling axes to grind against the Duchess of Cambridge? IMO it goes to show that those rags as well as those who are ragging on the expecting Duchess are cowards who gutlessly pick on someone who can't actually strike back at them but haven't the guts to attempt to make stands against those who would wish actual physical harm on others! 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

And, maybe, she really is a bitch. Sudden power does strange things to people. 

1 hour ago, MissAlmond said:

Sudden power?  Outside of British tradition, what real world type power does the royal family actually have?

Power of people waiting on you hand and foot & never hearing that you are wrong  ??

Maybe she’s a bitch, maybe not.  We will never know for sure & doesn’t affect the common folk, anyway.  😁

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

Sudden power?  Outside of British tradition, what real world type power does the royal family actually have?  William couldn't even get tech giants to listen to him.  

To be fair, the tech giants don't listen to anybody. At all. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Picture It. Sicily said:

I don't get why it's so controversial. Pregnant women do it all the time. It takes a while to get used to your body changing and being kicked from the inside.

I've never been pregnant, but it seems obvious to me. I would think that if the inside of your body is moving around, putting your hands on your stomach would be the instinctive thing to do. Like if your back hurts you put your hand on it. Though I do understand why people hate it when celebrities do it for photos.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Medicine Crow said:

I don't "get" the tummy cupping.  Ya, you're pregnant, we know that!!  Give it a rest ... PLEASE!!!

Why?  All pregnant women do that.  It's instinctive.

• Like 7

32 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

Why?  All pregnant women do that.  It's instinctive.

Actually, I've never seen a pregnant woman do that.  I've never been pregnant, so maybe I just didn't notice!!!

9 minutes ago, GaT said:

I've never been pregnant, but it seems obvious to me. I would think that if the inside of your body is moving around, putting your hands on your stomach would be the instinctive thing to do. Like if your back hurts you put your hand on it. Though I do understand why people hate it when celebrities do it for photos.

I dunno. I looked through old photos of five pregnancies and did not find a single picture of me holding my belly in that pronounced manner. I would say that it is not instinctive, more of an involuntary response that sometimes happens but can be easily suppressed if need be. A fetus spends most of the time quietly sleeping, anyway, so one might feel fetal movement for only a few minutes in the course of a day and except for the occasional kick it may barely be noticeable.

I think the pose of ostentatiously cradling the belly with both hands may also be a bit of a fad that started about the time people started calling an expanding belly a baby bump and now everybody does it. It is definitely attention-seeking behavior on the part of some celebrities who clutch their bellies every time a camera is pointed at them.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, orza said:

I dunno. I looked through old photos of five pregnancies and did not find a single picture of me holding my belly in that pronounced manner. I would say that it is not instinctive, more of an involuntary response that sometimes happens but can be easily suppressed if need be. A fetus spends most of the time quietly sleeping, anyway, so one might feel fetal movement for only a few minutes in the course of a day and except for the occasional kick it may barely be noticeable.

I think the pose of ostentatiously cradling the belly with both hands may also be a bit of a fad that started about the time people started calling an expanding belly a baby bump and now everybody does it. It is definitely attention-seeking behavior on the part of some celebrities who clutch their bellies every time a camera is pointed at them.

My sentiments exactly.  Thank you!!!