17wheatthins

S01.E04: Deep-Dish Pizza & a Shot of Holy Water

It was disappointing to learn Rafi slipped and has now only been clean a month. I think Bridget needs to chill out -Rafi is Larry's dad, he's allowed to say that he wants to have Larry have religion even if Bridget is an atheist. She doesn't get to laterally decide something like that. Ideally, they talk like adults and compromise about religion. Bridget doesn't see Rafi as an equal, but then again it doesn't seem like he contributes much -why can't he pay for daycare so Bridgette can work? But then again, I think even if he did, she still wouldn't get an actual paying job, just finding another excuse to not do so. (And maybe he is paying some of her bills and we just haven't learned it. All we really know for sure is that Bridgett pays her own rent, and regularly borrows money from people or tries to). To his credit, he does come when she calls and says she needs him. And I think if he tried to get Larry for more time then Bridgett allows him to have (which if I'm remembering correctly, just seems like when ever she needs a sitter) she'd fight him tooth and nail. 

I find it difficult to believe Bridget, Eliza, and Nelson were the only women participating in the mud run. And Bridget was kinda cringy this episode, especially with that diaper bulge, whose only point was so it could get her stuck on top of the climbing obstacle, which wasn't funny even though it really really obviously wanted to be a funny bit. Also I imagine it costs money to register for the mud run, I'm guessing Eliza and/or Nelson paid Bridget's fee. She is a bit of a mooch. 

Bridget is seriously the worst part of this show.

Edited by jamfly
  • Like 5

I was horrified that she and the grocery store employee didn't use a condom. I'm all for sexual freedom among consenting partners, but protect yourselves.

• Like 8

I was irritated that Nelson threw Bridg under the bus. Nelson specifically called Bridgette instead of Rafi, because Nelson thought Larry should be vaccinated too.  She conveniently left that part out. 

This was actually my least favorite episode so far. 

• Like 8

well its official..

I like everybody BUT Bridgette  shes an awful person. Not in a funny way...shes just awful

More  Tami Taylor,  Eliza, Rafi and Nelson please...  was surprised to learn she was a sports reporter, she doesn't seem to be all there if you get what I mean lol

Edited by dd21dd21
  • Like 3

I want to like this show but it is all over the place.  We get that Bridget is struggling to keep her head above water and she lives an unconventional life.  However, that doesn't mean she has to do stupid, random things like sleep with the stock boy in the back (with protection).  I like that they are showing the things that she struggles with, such as women not being treated the same as men, but that doesn't mean she has to press that issue at every turn.

• Like 1

I think she's doing unwise/dangerous things at every turn to illustrate how fucked up she is. Bridget's not the hero. I think they're going for "the fuck up you root for anyway"...I'm not sure yet that I am doing so, but it's what I think they're going for. They're painting a portrait of someone who has a ton of serious issues and frequently deals with them in very unhealthy ways. She's one of those people who seems to live in a permanent spiral. When the world isn't shitting on her (which it already does often enough) she does things that bring more chaos upon herself.

• Like 3

On 11/26/2017 at 10:44 PM, jamfly said:

I find it difficult to believe Bridget, Eliza, and Nelson were the only women participating in the mud run. And Bridget was kinda cringy this episode, especially with that diaper bulge, whose only point was so it could get her stuck on top of the climbing obstacle, which wasn't funny even though it really really obviously wanted to be a funny bit. Also I imagine it costs money to register for the mud run, I'm guessing Eliza and/or Nelson paid Bridget's fee. She is a bit of a mooch

For some reason I thought about this too.  She has money to waste on a mud run?  I thought she was broke.

Stuff like that takes me out of the show.  Also, trying to figure out why tv writers think we want to watch people doing a mud run.  I always fast forward through the climbing and crawling - it is just boring to watch people run/exercise.  I wish tv writers would wake up to this fact.  I have also seen many mud runs on reality tv, and it is also boring.

I love Bridget's mom, Tutu.  Rosie is a good actor, I wish she would get more roles.

• Like 4

I actually appreciate watching Bridget trying work through all her issues and handle them, whether in  ways that are good, bad, unhealthy, etc. It shows a person who is attempting to grow as a person & hopefully stop the cycle before it affects Larry too much. Sure, she makes fucked up choices, but I honestly believe she has the capacity to become better. She’s obviously book smart, her choices in life have dragged her down. 

• Like 3

On 11/27/2017 at 11:59 PM, dd21dd21 said:

well its official..

I like everybody BUT Bridgette  shes an awful person. Not in a funny way...shes just awful

More  Tami Taylor,  Eliza, Rafi and Nelson please...  was surprised to learn she was a sports reporter, she doesn't seem to be all there if you get what I mean lol

I like everyone but the Bridgette character. They have that character all over the place. She could punch a man who grabbed her crotch but she couldn’t grab a teenager by the collar and order him to take off her shoes he literally tore from her feet?  She hates aggressive men but takes it out on a teen boy by being overly aggressive.  Took total advantage of his youth. Who knows what diseases she has. She screams at her ex that he had no right to baptize HER son but She can do what she wants with him. She needs to stop worrying what it feels like to have a penis and get a job. 

On 11/28/2017 at 10:59 AM, heatherchandler said:

For some reason I thought about this too.  She has money to waste on a mud run?  I thought she was broke.

Broke people in Southie don’t turn their backs on their valuables. Another miss on the Southie front. 

• Like 3

On 11/28/2017 at 8:39 AM, Dminches said:

I want to like this show but it is all over the place.  We get that Bridget is struggling to keep her head above water and she lives an unconventional life.  However, that doesn't mean she has to do stupid, random things like sleep with the stock boy in the back (with protection).  I like that they are showing the things that she struggles with, such as women not being treated the same as men, but that doesn't mean she has to press that issue at every turn.

On 11/27/2017 at 4:08 PM, bilgistic said:

I was horrified that she and the grocery store employee didn't use a condom. I'm all for sexual freedom among consenting partners, but protect yourselves.

random hook up with a grocery clerk you "met" 2 seconds ago. WTF. slut much? and agreed, a total idiot for not using a condom at least. she is pretty skanky. maybe it's the way she dresses also. after all the stuffing shit down the front of her pants, i thought maybe she wanted to be a male more than a female. this chick is messed up. make the daddy pay child support and get yourself a decent job, you obviously have brains if you getting kids into college. 

i love rosie in this role. more of her, less of bridget.

• Like 1

Wow, Nelson just became a two faced bitch. She made it clear in the previous episode that she didn't call Rafi about Larry being vaccinated because she agreed with Bridgette that Larry should be vaccinated, but in this episode she painted herself as the manipulated victim, claiming that Bridgette FORCED her to get Larry vaccinated. Girl, please.

I don't care if Bridget wants to have sex. She is a 20 something woman so she's allowed to have a sexual appetite. If she wants to have one night stands with other consenting adults, that's fine. Just use protection, for crying out loud!

Rafi was in the wrong multiple times. First he showed up at Tutu's house and demanded to see Larry. Nope. You aren't paying child support and you don't seem to take care of the kid unless you have free time, so no, you don't get to just demand to take him somewhere whenever you please because it's convenient for you. But even worse, he showed up then KNOWING that Bridgette was at the mud run so that she couldn't stop him from baptizing the kid because she wouldn't know until it was too late. He manipulated Tutu, knowing that she would want to have Larry baptized. On top of that, this caused Larry not to be at the finish line which Bridgette specifically asked her mother to do, and Tutu even told Rafi that's where they were supposed to be going.

Until Rafi can be a responsible, reliable, and dependable co-parent, I don't blame Bridgette for not letting him make more decisions about Larry. She is the primary caregiver and breadwinner in her two person family. Rafi is not contributing financially and his childcare seems to be extremely part time and at his convenience. If he were paying for some of Rafi's expenses then Bridgette might not be struggling to pay her rent. If he were willing to watch Larry on a more regular basis (not just bedtime and emergencies) then Bridgette would be able to look for a job with more regular hours (she told the temp agency guy that she couldn't work full time because she needed someone to watch Larry during the day).

Despite Rafi's claim that he's always there whenever Bridgette asks, so far we have seen him flake on bedtime without calling to let her know that he's not coming and whine to get his way out of staying in line at the doctor. We also know that he isn't paying for anything Larry related because when Bridgette needed to go to work, she reminded him that her job is what houses, feeds, and clothes Larry. I'd love to hear the reason why Rafi isn't contributing financially at all. Does he not have any kind of job? If not, how can he afford his gym membership and taking Nelson out to dinner?

My aunt got into a huge fight with my grandmother (my aunt's mom) for giving her daughter a haircut while she was babysitting. If I recall correctly, my aunt didn't speak to my grandmother for a while after that because she was so livid. I can't imagine if my grandmother had decided to go get the kid baptized behind her back.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Like 4