peacheslatour

Let’s Talk Interior Design

I had to look up what this trend was, since I don’t know a lot about interior design.  I just know what I like, I don’t know what style it falls into. I like clean lines, mostly black furniture with pops of color through pillows or an accent chair. I do like some of the things I found when I googled, but I don’t like oddly shaped pieces of furniture and I don’t like things that don’t look comfortable. 

• Like 1

I've been seeing it for at least ten years. Seafoam walls (which I like but it's become sooo pervasive, it's become a cliche) the figure eight shape repeated endlessly. We're seeing so much that would have been right at home in the 1950's, it's bizarre. I like eclectic so much better. Like Frasier and Niles' apartments on Frasier or even Mission style.

Much to my surprise I love mid century modern. I would do my whole house in it if I could. I recently installed a Sputnik light in my dining room and it looks great, if I do say so myself. 

I love Mission and Arts & Crafts (FLW-like).  Much to my surprise, I've found I kinda like the mid-century modern, too.  

Of course, looking at my house, you'd never know I had any sense of what style is at all... 

• Like 1

I've always liked Mission style furniture, and have come to really like it in recent years; when I redecorate my living room, I think I'm going to do it in that style.

Mid-century modern is not something I'd have in my house (my house predates it, and its '30s architecture doesn't readily lend itself to the style, but fundamentally it's just not what I want to live in), but there's a lot of it here (in Los Angeles) and I like it a lot in other people's homes when it all comes together.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bastet said:

I've always liked Mission style furniture, and have come to really like it in recent years; when I redecorate my living room, I think I'm going to do it in that style.

Mid-century modern is not something I'd have in my house (my house predates it, and its '30s architecture doesn't readily lend itself to the style, but fundamentally it's just not what I want to live in), but there's a lot of it here (in Los Angeles) and I like it a lot in other people's homes when it all comes together.

Did you ever used to watch Monk? His house and almost all of the sets were done in Mission style. Of course the show was set in San Francisco so it stands to reason. I can see how the mid century look would work in L.A. but here in the PNW it just looks silly. We will be selling our house and other property soon and have been looking through many design books. We both really like the Craftsman/Beaux Arts styles. I grew up in Beaux Arts Village and I loved the quirky look of the houses.

On 11/15/2017 at 11:47 AM, peacheslatour said:

I can see how the mid century look would work in L.A. but here in the PNW it just looks silly.

Coming in a year late because I just discovered this topic right after binging interior design shows on Netflix.

In the PNW (depends on where, I suppose), I think you could make mid-century modern work if you just added a few decorating elements that specifically recalled the World's Fair of 1962. That would help anchor your design to Seattle's history, and that would go a long way toward making it seem like it belonged here.

• Like 1

I have mixed feelings about mid-century modern. I like the architectural designs for public places and so forth, but the furniture that is intended for personal use always looks uncomfortable to me, and my general reaction to it is to think that this is stuff someone designed with the idea that it would look like people a hundred years into the future would use. It's like when a movie or TV show tries to depict how people in a future era will dress, and the clothing is mostly familiar but with some very different style choices. I see some of the chairs, in particular, and think  yeah, someone was trying to imagine what chairs would look like 100 years from now.

I have a fairly eclectic design style for my own stuff. I like some fairly plain designs in couches and so forth, but have pretty ornate dining room and bedroom furniture. I like a Victorian color palette but without the overly fussy and crowded rooms that tend to go with Victorian styles. My house was built within the last two years, and it's fairly straightforward modern design. I would love a Victorian style house, but it would look ridiculous in my neighborhood. I generally don't like an open floor plan, but after being super crowded for 6 months or so prior to buying this house, I was happy to have something where the kitchen and main living area are open. For my next house, I want a dedicated library; I may convert my currently  unused upstairs game room into a reading area of sorts, but I want a library where I can go in and shut the door, settle down on a chaise or reclining chair of some sort, with a tea table next to me so I can park my cup of tea while I read.

Generally, I know better what I don't like in terms of interior design than what I do like. I loathe rustic and shabby chic. I'm not fond of mission style furniture but can see its appeal. For upholstery fabric, drapes, etc., I prefer fairly quiet patterns and don't like having too many patterns in the same room.

My biggest mystery when it comes to design choices, though, has to do with bedrooms. What the fuck is up with having 14 "decorative" pillows on a bed, that you're going to have to remove every time you want to sleep, and then replace when you get up? One or two I can understand, but not the mountain of pillows that so many people seem to have. 

Edited by BookWoman56
  • Like 2

I have a library, but there's no room for a chair. Bookshelves on every wall except for one corner which is where my desk is. I'm trying to figure out a way to rearrange things, because I also need a cabinet for curiosities. Right now I have a couple of short Ikea bookcases the tops of which are covered with the curiosities and I'm getting new weird things faster than I'm getting space for them. What I want is "Victorian Naturalist's Library" or even "Gothic Beatrix Potter". What I have is more like "Miskatonic University dorm room", minus a bed.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Violet Impulse said:

I also need a cabinet for curiosities

Hmph. It wasn’t until this very moment that I realized that I want a cabinet for curiosities. 

• Like 2

@Violet Impulse, what about stacking the bookcases? That would free up some floor space. Some of the Ikea shelves have toppers you can stack on top, or stack separately to create a small bookcase. My house is tiny so making use of vertical space is crucial.

• Like 1

I've got four of the tall Billy cases against every wall that can have them, and then short ones under the windows (also the desk is under a window). Now that I look at what's on the short shelves more carefully, though, I think one of those can go and the cabinet could go in its place. I just need a magazine archive box and to get rid of things that need getting rid of. Still no room for a chair, but that's not as necessary as cabinet anyway. I think I can even manage this and still keep some wall space! Thanks for helping me think out loud. I finally have an idea how to do this.

• Like 1