SilverStormm

Lord Of The Rings: The TV Series

Good news! Peter Jackson isn't involved with the series. So there's a chance it'll be watchable. It could do with an experienced producer, but so far so good.

• Like 2

This summer PBS was promoting a Great American Read program, where they presented 100 classic novels and put them up for a vote to see who would win.  

Lord of the Rings came in fifth, which is not bad (I would place it #1, of course).  I was a little surprised by the top five:

5)  Lord of the Rings

4)  Pride and Prejudice

3)  Harry Potter

2)  Outlander

1)  To Kill a Mockingbird

I take comfort because I was expecting Harry Potter to win.  I'm surprised Outlander finished so highly.  To Kill a Mockingbird s a great book, but a book centering on racism at #1 surprises me because it's a depressing topic.  The one novel I thought was missing from the top 100 was Lolita.  I could name a few others, but I thought that was the main omission.

Here's the top 100:

https://www.pbs.org/the-great-american-read/books/#/

48 minutes ago, rmontro said:

To Kill a Mockingbird s a great book, but a book centering on racism at #1 surprises me because it's a depressing topic.

TKAM is about racism, yes, but also about more than that. And while racism is a depressing topic (and the racism in the book is not treated lightly), the book itself is not depressing - at least, it wasn't for me. I really loved it.

I'm glad LOTR is in the top five -- that's really great. The list as a whole is very interesting; a few of those books I'm quite surprised to see make the list.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kickingnames said:

TKAM is about racism, yes, but also about more than that. And while racism is a depressing topic (and the racism in the book is not treated lightly), the book itself is not depressing

Yeah, many people said they found hope in the Atticus Finch character and others.  Even though the story doesn't have a happy ending.  This is one of those books I read in school.

I would have liked to have seen The Lord of the Rings at #1 of course, but I can't complain about top five.  It's nice to know that a lot of people still appreciate it.  There have been many top 100 lists like this over the years, and the real value of them is if they inspire to read some books that you might not have otherwise considered.   

To Kill a Mockingbird s a great book, but a book centering on racism at #1 surprises me because it's a depressing topic. 

Yes but it's beautifully written.

take comfort because I was expecting Harry Potter to win. 

Not so beautifully written.

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 7:19 PM, raven said:

"I wisely started with a map" - Tolkien

If you say so, Professor. But, really -- I think the language(s) came first, before everything else.*

ETA: I have a very bad feeling about this series. I fear it will be tarted up to attract the Game of Thrones audience, out of all recognition. The overall feeling of Tolkien's work, it seems to me, wasn't fully present in Jackson's version -- though it was hinted at, occasionally  -- and that is sadness. Not the triumphalist teenaged thirst in Martin's world, where the sole purpose of every single thing is to be wrecked, killed, eaten, or fucked. An elegiac, sorrowing sense of decay and decline. There's no way that's preserved in a television series. 

(It's probably not coincidence that my avatar here is a version of my name in one of the Professor's invented languages. /nerd)

Edited by Sandman · Reason: *Suck it, George R. R. Martin
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1

So, it looks as if we're stuck with the Second Age (damn it, I wanted to see Gondolin*) and there's a lot of speculation about the focus being on Númenor. But I'd rather think they will condense Númenórian history a bit and devote equal time to whatever goes on in Beleriand while the Númenóreans are frolicking their way into ultimate hubris. 

*Although this means that I have minor chance to finally see Queen Berúthiel and her cats, yay!

Edited by MissLucas
  • Like 1