Jump to content
Lisin

The Good Cop

Recommended Posts

Quote

Tony Danza in The Good Cop, a 10-episode straight-to-series father-son dramedy crime procedural for Netflix. The project, inspired by a format from Israeli production company Yes, hails from Monk creator/executive producer Andy Breckman and director/executive producer Randy Zisk.

Written by Breckman, who serves as showrunner, The Good Cop centers on Tony Sr. (Danza), a disgraced former NYPD officer who never followed the rules. He lives with his son, Tony Jr. (Groban), an earnest, obsessively honest NYPD detective who makes a point of always following the rules. This “odd couple” become unofficial partners as Tony Sr. offers his overly cautious son blunt, streetwise advice on everything from handling suspects to handling women.

More casting news on deadline.

Share this post


Link to post

Need individual threads I guess. I just watched the first two. The casting director should be fired. Dana is the only one with presence in the whole cast. Groban is so bland they must have ordered up bland mcblanderson for this show. The girlfriend is bland, the partner is bland and embarrassing (the only black guy in the cast has disengaged because he is getting close to retirement so we can watch him sleeping at his desk and not caring about the cases), and the chief is bland. The nerd who assists (is he forensics?) Has potential. 

Share this post


Link to post

It's not bad! It's light. It's fluffy. It's got some cute moments. It's not a challenging show, but sometimes that's a good thing. Until the fall season kicks in, I have time to kill because my boyfriend is busy watching football. :)

I've watched the first two episodes. Danza and Groban are likeable but not super relatable. They haven't sold me totally on them being father and son. I liked the first ep a bit better than the second -- I'll watch a couple more before deciding.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Goldmoon said:

Need individual threads I guess. . . .

Groban is so bland they must have ordered up bland mcblanderson for this show.

Heh. Yeah, I bet they did.

It's a blander version of Monk. Even the theme song is like a washed out version of the Monk theme song.

IDK. I got 4 chuckles out of it: When the dweeb put his hand in the fishbowl and then for each of the one liners that the not-Provenza partner said (one of them was "Why did the Flintstones celebrate Christmas?").

ETA: Tony Danza in his shorts because he lost his pants shooting pool was pretty funny too.

I was going to bail when I realized before the son did that the killer must've gotten the bullets from the shooting range that we saw at the beginning, but then there was the dark twist of them hanging up the body to get him to shoot the corpse ( I thought the killer just collected the bullets and then swapped them).

I will give it one more.

 

ETA: Tony Danza's character is a more fit version of Nash Bridges' father. They even live together.

And the son's love interest looks a lot like Jodi Lyn O'Keefe and Yasmine Bleeth.

Edited by shapeshifter · Reason: Punctuation etc
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, shapeshifter said:

for each of the one liners that the not-Provenza partner said (one of them was "Why did the Flintstones celebrate Christmas?").

Yeah I love Isiah Whitlock, Jr. and that little scene was the only thing I laughed at. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I think I love this show, since I finished the first season in three days, and I am pretty busy. I hope we get another one.

TJ is my favorite character so far because he's very smart and he's a good son.

Dad is a bit annoying, but he's funny too.

The actress who plays Cora is very natural.

I like Burl. He doesn't run.

In the last episode, I thought Cora and Burl were really insensitive when they made fun of the old lady in the morgue.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Just watched the second episode—maybe a tiny bit better than the first.

The first episode made the dad seem like just an albatross around the son's neck, but now it seems like they're going for more warmth.

It's got heart, and I'm a sucker for heart.

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, Frost said:

I just can't get over that somebody with a voice like Josh Groban is wasting his time acting on a TV show.

I don't actually know his music, but he's a big reason I tuned in -- he was so goofy and charming on his guest appearances / cameos I was eager to see more. (Especially since this was from Monk's creator.) But while his character is fine, his charms feel underutilized. He's more of the straight man.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I'm about 5 episodes in, and father and son feel like a less antagonistic Henry and Shawn Spencer from Psych (only with the roles reversed). I'm finding it a decent filler when I'm doing something else and I could use a little something in the background. I just wish Tony Danza didn't look so ... mature. It's just reminding me that I'm no longer a spring chicken, too.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, LvHmBirth said:

I just wish Tony Danza didn't look so ... mature. It's just reminding me that I'm no longer a spring chicken, too.

Tony Danza's a couple of years older than I am, and although I'm just as trim, I haven't had any plastic surgery, so he looks pretty good to me. Actually, he reminds of my uncle except Danza's still got his real hair—my uncle has worn a toupee since the 80s—but if my uncle was a dirty cop, he'd be just like the dad.

—watching the third episode now . . .
—Third episode was more like Monk. Maybe the show is going to hit its stride?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I love Josh Groban. But I hate how he’s portrayed as someone to mock and disrespected. And he’s clearly vastly superior when it comes to singing, which I’m going to assume why only Tony Danza gets to sing. Danza is also a producer. I love Tony Danza too, but I’d much rather hear Josh sing.

I can’t stand Cora. And in the last few episodes, especially the finale, I want to just punch her. And she’s not TJ’s girlfriend as someone in the anticipation thread mentioned.

And all my cop knowledge is from the Sxhool of Law & Order, but I’ve NEVER heard of an active detective in a squad also be a parole officer. It’s one or the other. So Cora being both had me ?????? and ???

And her “Brooklyn” accent comes and goes. Either the actress just can’t do it, or she had a bad voice coach or both.

And TJ wasn’t wrong in his evaluation of her being flippant, disrespectful to him as her CO. And I can’t suspend my disbelief with her childish, petty and passive aggressive behavior while they’re undercover.

But I suspect they will get together, which UGH. TJ deserves SO MUCH BETTER.

Of course TJ should have graded Burl more objectively. Like all 3s and 4s.

I don’t like Ryan The IT guy. He looks like he hasn’t showered in months or combed his hair.

I do like the relationship between Senior and Junior, but I do wish Senior wouldn’t try to “dirty” up TJ.

But I’d rather listen to Josh sing.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I love Josh Groban. But I hate how he’s portrayed as someone to mock and disrespected. And he’s clearly vastly superior when it comes to singing, which I’m going to assume why only Tony Danza gets to sing. Danza is also a producer. I love Tony Danza too, but I’d much rather hear Josh sing.

I can’t stand Cora. And in the last few episodes, especially the finale, I want to just punch her. And she’s not TJ’s girlfriend as someone in the anticipation thread mentioned.

And all my cop knowledge is from the Sxhool of Law & Order, but I’ve NEVER heard of an active detective in a squad also be a parole officer. It’s one or the other. So Cora being both had me ?????? and ???

And her “Brooklyn” accent comes and goes. Either the actress just can’t do it, or she had a bad voice coach or both.

And TJ wasn’t wrong in his evaluation of her being flippant, disrespectful to him as her CO. And I can’t suspend my disbelief with her childish, petty and passive aggressive behavior while they’re undercover.

But I suspect they will get together, which UGH. TJ deserves SO MUCH BETTER.

Of course TJ should have graded Burl more objectively. Like all 3s and 4s.

I don’t like Ryan The IT guy. He looks like he hasn’t showered in months or combed his hair.

I do like the relationship between Senior and Junior, but I do wish Senior wouldn’t try to “dirty” up TJ.

But I’d rather listen to Josh sing.

Well, hey there, friend from another show!  We are mostly enjoying this, for what it is, but agree, Josh should sing.  Tony is a little too much, but, I guess that is how he plays things.  It is something to have on that doesn't require all that much concentration, when we don't feel like putting any more effort into a show.  Which I guess isn't great praise, but, likable enough.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

Well, hey there, friend from another show!  We are mostly enjoying this, for what it is, but agree, Josh should sing.  Tony is a little too much, but, I guess that is how he plays things.  It is something to have on that doesn't require all that much concentration, when we don't feel like putting any more effort into a show.  Which I guess isn't great praise, but, likable enough.

Hey back, @lookeyloo!!!!

I forgot to mention how that one tenant in the finale gave all his pets names from The Godfather!!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

here's a handy list in case comments pertain to a particular episode:

 1    Who Framed the Good Cop?
 2    What Is the Supermodel's Secret?
 3    Who Is the Ugly German Lady?
 4    Will the Good Cop Bowl 300?
 5    Will Big Tony Roll Over?
 6    Did the TV Star Do It?
 7    Who Killed the Guy on the Ski Lift?
 8    Will Cora Get Married?
 9    Why Kill a Busboy?
10    Who Cut Mrs. Ackroyd in Half?

 

After getting comfortable with the show by episode 3, I was disappointed with 4 (the bowling episode). It just went stupidly on and on to its inevitable conclusion. 

I'm going to give number 5 a shot, but if anyone wants to just watch a few episodes, so far I just recommend #3.

 

ETA:  #5 "Will Big Tony Roll Over?" was the best episode yet, IMO.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I just started watching last night, so I know my current impressions are subject to change. But, yeah...I agree with the poster who said they had trouble buying Danza and Groban as father and son.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Done.

I would guess this show would've done better released weekly with more advertising emphasizing the Monk connection. 

 

On September 30, 2018 at 12:53 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

[Josh Groban's] clearly vastly superior when it comes to singing, which I’m going to assume why only Tony Danza gets to sing

I can see where a cop who's as good a singer as JG is wouldn't fit, but they could've at least had them do a duet in "Did the TV Star Do It?"

 

The last episode was probably the best. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I can see where a cop who's as good a singer as JG is wouldn't fit, but they could've at least had them do a duet in "Did the TV Star Do It?"

I know! Or “Why Kill a Busboy.” They let Josh play the piano!

What’s ironic is that in the IMDb interview with Tony, he reveals how TJ and Antony’s relationship is based loosely in his own relationship with his first born son, who was born when Danza was 19.

An interview with Josh revealed the creator wrote the part of TJ with Josh in mind. Apparently the real life chemistry between Danza and Josh was what he was looking for.

I still want TJ to fluff his hair and sing next season, DAMMIT! I hope there is a season two of only to find out why Connie was stalked and murdered, instead of it being a hit and run.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Is it just me, or is Danza's character eerily close to Hank Voight on Chicago PD? Accent, body language, demeanor, etc? I could easily see Jason Beghe in that role.

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, NJRadioGuy said:

Is it just me, or is Danza's character eerily close to Hank Voight on Chicago PD? Accent, body language, demeanor, etc? I could easily see Jason Beghe in that role.

No. Danza has always spoken with that accent in every role he’s played. There are a lot of similarities between this character and Tony from Who’s The Boss?

Share this post


Link to post

This is a cute show. Nothing groundbreaking but sometimes it’s nice to watch a show that isn’t trying to hard to be the next big thing. I agree with the comment the last episode was the best one, the show seemed to find its footing by then. Hope they keep it going. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/28/2018 at 10:48 AM, snarktini said:

I don't actually know his music, but he's a big reason I tuned in -- he was so goofy and charming on his guest appearances / cameos I was eager to see more. (Especially since this was from Monk's creator.) But while his character is fine, his charms feel underutilized. He's more of the straight man.

Josh Groban was the reason I tuned in too, not a big Tony Danza fan. I like Josh being the straight man though, the last episode where he was doing the eulogy at his "aunt's" funeral, had me rolling. I could not quit laughing.

All in all I enjoyed the show. It reminded of the when USA network used to have the 'characters welcome' shows and I miss those days.

On 9/28/2018 at 1:20 PM, LvHmBirth said:

I'm about 5 episodes in, and father and son feel like a less antagonistic Henry and Shawn Spencer from Psych (only with the roles reversed).

I liked Corbin Bernsen a whole lot more than I like Tony Danza though. I would want to pull my hair out if I was TJ. I did like Burl and Ryan and I wish we could have seen Faith from Third Watch more than just twice. (Don't remember her name on this show)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, festivus said:

Josh Groban was the reason I tuned in too, not a big Tony Danza fan. I like Josh being the straight man though, the last episode where he was doing the eulogy at his "aunt's" funeral, had me rolling. I could not quit laughing.

All in all I enjoyed the show. It reminded of the when USA network used to have the 'characters welcome' shows and I miss those days.

I liked Corbin Bernsen a whole lot more than I like Tony Danza though. I would want to pull my hair out if I was TJ. I did like Burl and Ryan and I wish we could have seen Faith from Third Watch more than just twice. (Don't remember her name on this show)

I’ve loved Tony Danza since his Taxi and Who’s The Boss? days. But not so much on this show. Did I miss when he went dirty and why? And how long he was in prison?

I think if there is a second season, it will be dependent on Josh’s schedule-he’s touring right now. And if there is one, I WANT JOSH TO SING, DAMMIT!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Not sure if anyone here watches Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, but Josh had an appearance on the show doing this awesome song. :-)

Music sounds dramatic, but funny words.

I'm partway through the episodes now. Mostly agree with others' thoughts. I know it's part of Danza's character, but it's annoying that he was supposedly good at his job as a cop prior to being caught as a dirty cop yet he is so easily flattered by so many of these villains that he is blind to their obvious evil (model and Bob Saget). And then him wanting to plead the fifth instead of testifying against the convict out of "loyalty," EVEN when he knew there was a hit out on him that could have had him killed before he could do either. 

On a fun note - my mom went to school with Tony Danza. He is a little older than her. Her sister went on a date with his brother. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Most awesome post ever, @VMepicgrl!

Especially ? loved the Josh Groban self-referenced moment in the dramedy song, but also appreciated you having the perfect place to share your familial Tony Danza connection.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Most awesome post ever, @VMepicgrl!

Especially ? loved the Josh Groban self-referenced moment in the dramedy song, but also appreciated you having the perfect place to share your familial Tony Danza connection.

If I remember the story right, my grandfather thought he was the painter because of how he was dressed when he came to pick up my aunt (white tank/"wife beater" and jeans). He was not pleased to find out the real reason he was there. Lol.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Sorry for two posts in a row, but I guess I am the only one still currently watching. Just finished. The first big laughs out of me came in Why Kill a Busboy? at the end when Danza's character was moaning about how much money in alcohol they would have to replace, and then every time TJ gave him a look, he got a little closer to the truth about how much money in alcohol they'd be replacing. 

Caught up on the rest of the season and agree with many others' observations. Cora started to bother me more as the season went on. And I agree that she and Burl were very insensitive when they joked about the woman's body being in 2 parts. I hate snakes, so I actually had to turn away when the snake was making it's way along TJ. I don't even want to imagine what that would be like!

Danza's character often bothered me, plus Cora, and TJ did in the bowling episode. Yet somehow the show was still kind of a comforting watch and I got through the episodes by watching one before bed each night. It probably helped that the TV in my bedroom was broken, so I would watch on my computer on Netflix when there were fewer options than usual.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

BOO!!! Netflix certainly seems like they're cleaning house. Makes me not want to watch any of their original shows unless they are only meant to be one season like Haunting of Hill House.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×