17wheatthins

S01.E02: 1.800 Filet-o-Fishes and One Small Diet Coke

What a mess. This show is a wreck I can't look away from. I can't believe Bridgette had sex with her Connie's character's oldest son. That whole situation had me cringing...from the bath to the car scene. Lordy.

I like the show! As someone who lives south of Boston, I think it shows a realistic view of Southie.  Rosie  O’Donnell  is killing it, and the female protagonist, Bridget,  is showing one version of a single mother that may be hard to watch but is probably more realistic that people want to think. 

• Like 7

This woman is a hot mess.  And old girl with the 50 McDonald bags and then "Would you like a coke? It's diet." LOL

So Bridget  had her son vaccinated without the father's knowledge?  That's just so wrong.

What does Bridget do for Connie Neilson? Tutor? She's not a housekeeper, so what exactly is her role?

And ewww to Bridget having sex with the son, getting up,  and sitting in the car with Connie.  I mean, take a ho bath or something.

And in her bathrobe!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mochamajesty said:

This woman is a hot mess.  And old girl with the 50 McDonald bags and then "Would you like a coke? It's diet." LOL

So Bridget  had her son vaccinated without the father's knowledge?  That's just so wrong.

What does Bridget do for Connie Neilson? Tutor? She's not a housekeeper, so what exactly is her role?

And ewww to Bridget having sex with the son, getting up,  and sitting in the car with Connie.  I mean, take a ho bath or something.

And in her bathrobe!

I so disagree.  As a nurse, I'm tired of the nutty anti-vaxxers.  They're the reason we're seeing resurgences of diseases long thought extinct in this country.  They either understand nothing of herd immunity, or they simply don't give a shit.  Plus, Bridgette specifically said that her job is what pays for Larry's home and clothing, etc.  This implies the baby-daddy provides zero financial support.  So he can fuck off.  Plus, he should have it out with his GF first, as she deliberately chose to call Bridgette, as they shared the same view on vaccines.

Starting to love the girlfriend.  

• Like 22

8 minutes ago, RedheadZombie said:

I so disagree.  As a nurse, I'm tired of the nutty anti-vaxxers.  They're the reason we're seeing resurgences of diseases long thought extinct in this country.  They either understand nothing of herd immunity, or they simply don't give a shit.  Plus, Bridgette specifically said that her job is what pays for Larry's home and clothing, etc.  This implies the baby-daddy provides zero financial support.  So he can fuck off.  Plus, he should have it out with his GF first, as she deliberately chose to call Bridgette, as they shared the same view on vaccines.

Starting to love the girlfriend.  

I didn't express my feelings about the vaccinations one way or the other. My point is that the parents should come to a consensus.

Are you really saying that since he apparently provides zero financial support that he can't make any decisions? 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mochamajesty said:

I didn't express my feelings about the vaccinations one way or the other. My point is that the parents should come to a consensus.

Are you really saying that since he apparently provides zero financial support that he can't make any decisions? 

First off, this is somewhat of a comedy, so real life rules don't really apply.  BUT, the guy somehow pays rent, pays for his clothes, has money to woo a new girlfriend, etc.  Therefore, it's a choice not to contribute to Larry's well being.  On top of that, he has whacked out anti-science views on vaccinations that he hasn't even thought out himself - he's regurgitating his mother's views.  So no, he doesn't have much input into decisions regarding Larry's well being if it's opposing Bridgette's views.  Sorry.  All the mother fucker did was bitch and moan about what he was sacrificing to take his kid to the doctor.  And even then, he punted to his girlfriend.  Therefore, he's at the mercy of their choices.  If he didn't want the vaccinations, he should have been present when the doctor examined his kid.  

• Like 16

35 minutes ago, RedheadZombie said:

First off, this is somewhat of a comedy, so real life rules don't really apply.  BUT, the guy somehow pays rent, pays for his clothes, has money to woo a new girlfriend, etc.  Therefore, it's a choice not to contribute to Larry's well being.  On top of that, he has whacked out anti-science views on vaccinations that he hasn't even thought out himself - he's regurgitating his mother's views.  So no, he doesn't have much input into decisions regarding Larry's well being if it's opposing Bridgette's views.  Sorry.  All the mother fucker did was bitch and moan about what he was sacrificing to take his kid to the doctor.  And even then, he punted to his girlfriend.  Therefore, he's at the mercy of their choices.  If he didn't want the vaccinations, he should have been present when the doctor examined his kid.  

Wow, did this show touch a nerve? Calm down.

The girlfriend volunteered to take the kid. Now I would have said no, but hey, he didn't. And Bridget didn't seem too upset about it either.

*Shrug*

12 minutes ago, mochamajesty said:

Wow, did this show touch a nerve? Calm down.

The girlfriend volunteered to take the kid. Now I would have said no, but hey, he didn't. And Bridget didn't seem too upset about it either.

*Shrug*

I'm perfectly calm.  How about you?  I do not have any children, so no, a dead beat dad does not hit a nerve.  People who tirade against vaccines when they don't know what they're talking about - sure.  I want kids to live.  

Why don't we move on?

• Like 6

It's getting rather heated it here. I'd like to remind everyone that all opinions are welcome here and politely asking for someone's reasoning is fine, however, nobody is under any obligation to justify their opinions unless they choose to do so. Here at PTV everyone should feel free to express themselves in a civil way, in the knowledge that they aren't going to be pressured to 'prove' why they hold an opinion. Now let's shift gears and go back to discussing the episode. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Crazydoxielady said:

I like the show! As someone who lives south of Boston, I think it shows a realistic view of Southie.  Rosie  O’Donnell  is killing it, and the female protagonist, Bridget,  is showing one version of a single mother that may be hard to watch but is probably more realistic that people want to think. 

I live South of Boston, too (grandparents came over from Ireland and Italy near turn of the century), which is why I kind of want to like it more. But it does feel like Southie and I agree with you about the rest. The second episode was better and I liked the two women bonding. I'm invested enough to have said, "no no no" as Bridgette was confessing (some of) her misdeeds to her boss and I felt for her over Harvard. Definitely sticking around. 

• Like 4

I'm wondering how Bridget makes enough money as a tutor to support herself and her toddler. Does she have any other students besides the one she fooled around with? Who watches Larry besides her mom and the baby daddy? 

I was also wondering how it was possible for the girlfriend to get Larry vaccinated when neither parent was there. My kids are in their early 20's now but I'm pretty certain that I had to sign consent when I took them. The girlfriend wouldn't be able to do that. The doctor's office would not call to get permission, as far as I know.

I like Rosie O Donnell and wonder if the character she's playing suffers from depression. It certainly appears that way. 

• Like 3

I'm really loving this though it makes me squirm with some of the scenes as it's meant to, I'd guess. There is a deification that gets attached to motherhood, especially the noble women who are single moms, that I think is being examined here. Bridgette is flawed, super-flawed, but is reading as pretty realistic to me. Sure not all her choices would be my choices, but I'm liking that the show is making her complex and layered.

When I'd seen some of the preview scenes they kept showing the clip of her mom criticizing her choices, and I dreaded the stereotypical relationship that suggested of mother/daughter angst. But this is more layered. Yes Bridgette gets impatient with her mother's criticisms and probably blames her for being screwed up, but she also brought her cereal in bed and sat quietly watching L&O episodes with her when she realized her mom's depression had hit her bad that day. In just a few scenes the relationship with her mother was given great depth. It's not all "mom's a nagging, guilt machine who messed me up as kid and now won't let me live my life", instead it's that, but it's also that mom (being wonderfully played by Rosie) is a woman in deep pain and who has also probably experienced trauma and Bridgette knowing she probably did the best she could as a mom. I loved how she and her mom agreed that every child had a terrible childhood, and then Bridget said "except for Larry" because that's the hope and the struggle. That somehow she will do a better job.

I also liked that the Connie Britton scenes didn't go where I thought they would. Initially their relationship seemed like a knockoff of the one Kimmy Schmidt has with her employer played by Jane Krakowski in the Kimmy Schmidt show, but instead you have the frank conversation between Bridgette and Connie's character, Ally, about what how their lives aren't where they thought they'd be and what that means. Nicely done.

As I was reading the comments here and elsewhere I thought about what the commentary would be if this were a show about a single dad instead of a mom? We've seen those comedies where dad still dates and has a life but still manages to become the best dad ever. And it's okay for him to do all that. It's okay for him to date because he can always find someone who'll watch the kid and he can run to the store, etc.  A single mom often doesn't have those options.

I heard an interview with the actress/writer and much of this is semi-autobiographical about her life as a young, single mom in NYC struggling to make ends meet and how she wants to explore this experience without the romanticizing that often surrounds motherhood in general.  I can't wait to see where she goes with the rest of the episodes, though I'm sure I'll be squirming along the way.

• Like 6

Bridget is kind of a child herself, the way she was at the store, wanting to grab everything and imploring mom to buy stuff for her.

Previous episode, she was worried if she could still please men so at the drop of a hat she does the boy?

Wonder if there will be fallout later if the Connie Britton character finds out.  Is she going to be the same cool mom as Tami Taylor?

• Like 1

I saw Bridgette sleeping with that son a mile away.  I thought for sure she was going to confess to his mom when she was confessing everything else.

Love Rosie on the show!

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 9:58 AM, Pop Tart said:

When I'd seen some of the preview scenes they kept showing the clip of her mom criticizing her choices, and I dreaded the stereotypical relationship that suggested of mother/daughter angst. But this is more layered. Yes Bridgette gets impatient with her mother's criticisms and probably blames her for being screwed up, but she also brought her cereal in bed and sat quietly watching L&O episodes with her when she realized her mom's depression had hit her bad that day. In just a few scenes the relationship with her mother was given great depth. It's not all "mom's a nagging, guilt machine who messed me up as kid and now won't let me live my life", instead it's that, but it's also that mom (being wonderfully played by Rosie) is a woman in deep pain and who has also probably experienced trauma and Bridgette knowing she probably did the best she could as a mom. I loved how she and her mom agreed that every child had a terrible childhood, and then Bridget said "except for Larry" because that's the hope and the struggle. That somehow she will do a better job.

Cant agree or like this enough. I love this show it is edgy but is showing a much more "real" side to be a single parent instead of the usual romantic way it is generally shown on tv. Something about it reminds me of the show - Weeds . I think the best friend somehow reminds me of the friend on Weeds -Celia. 

Am wondering though about a job certainly it is not just tutoring?  I did hear the boy say something to her about her ex and that he was on tv so maybe he supports her? Am hoping they make this clearer soon cause I am watching wondering through entire show each time I watch.

Edited by Booted · Reason: added about job
  • Like 1

On 11/14/2017 at 6:52 AM, CarolMK said:

I'm wondering how Bridget makes enough money as a tutor to support herself and her toddler. Does she have any other students besides the one she fooled around with? 

I like Rosie O Donnell and wonder if the character she's playing suffers from depression. It certainly appears that way. 

The son she slept with is not currently one she is tutoring, although presumably she did when he was still in high school since she said she wrote his admission essay. The mom said he was just stopping by from being at Harvard, so I took that to mean he no longer lives at home. She currently tutors at least two siblings in that house, the daughter we saw her with in a previous episode and the younger brother whose essay she wrote in this episode. Maybe the rich mom is out of touch enough that Bridget charges some super high hourly rate for both kids and that's enough to float her if she's frugal? We also saw her auditioning before so she's clearly attempting to be an actor and may occasionally have money from doing brief gigs like commercials. Her income is probably inconsistent.

In several interviews O'Donnell has said

Spoiler

that Tutu "suffers from mental illness" but I don't believe she's explicitly said whether the character has depression or some other diagnosis. I've been assuming it is depression, but probably the show will be more clear about that later, with this episode being the bigger clue so far (besides actor interviews) that something's going on there.

• Like 2

I was really squirming with secondhand embarrassment when Bridgette decided to get into the bathtub and then put on Ally's robe and makeup and got on her bed. That was surpassed by Bridgette having sex with Connor on Ally's bed - noooooooo! I couldn't believe that she confessed most all of it to Ally in the car. Thankfully she left out having sex with Connor.

I'm fine with Bridgette and Nelson having Larry vaccinated. Rafi is entitled to his opinion but Bridgette is clearly the primary caregiver (Rafi's involvement seems to be limited to bedtime when he isn't with Nelson and briefly tagging in to help in emergencies like when there's a long line for the doctor and Bridgette has to go to work) and she is the one financially supporting Larry (as evidenced by what she said to Rafi when he was complaining about missing his AA meeting*), therefore she gets to make the decisions about Larry.

* I fully support Rafi going to his AA meetings and maintaining his sobriety, but there are AA meetings ALL DAY at various locations in any city. No, it's not ideal to flake when it's your turn to bring coffee, but it's also not ideal to get out of line when your child needs medical attention. Rafi could have called his sponsor or whoever is running his meeting to let them know he can't come because he has an emergency with his kid. Then he could offer to bring coffee to the next meeting. And then he could go to another AA meeting later that day after Larry has seen the doctor. It's not rocket science, but he is so wed to the idea that he MUST go to THIS meeting and somehow that is more important than getting his kid medical attention. Rafi's first priority is Rafi.

I like the depiction of Bridgette's relationship with her mother. It's clearly not perfect and they sometimes push each other's buttons, but they love each other. It would be easy for Bridgette to get mad at Tutu and blow her off but she understands that her mother is struggling with mental illness and trying to be there for her.

I had to laugh at Bridgette and Tutu trying to pronounce Mariska Hargitay's name.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Like 4