Galileo908

S29.E05: Grampy Can Ya Hear Me

Grampa gets hearing aids and finally hears what everyone has been saying about him; Principal Skinner discovers that his mother has kept a secret from him.

Title: Ghost Tracey Ullman Ghost Homer chocking Ghost Tracey Ullman Bart

Billboard: DISTRACTED DRIVING IS DANGEROUS DRIVING

Chalkboard: Hooligan is not a profession

Couch Gag: the family as Russian immigrants? Then through the 50s, then fleeing the planet once the water rises, then emigrating to Rigel 7? Neat.

Really loved the planetarium bit. Of course Homer uses his astronaut status to get a discount. The Pluto bit made me laugh, I'll admit it.

Surprisingly relevant election joke with Lisa. So the Bart to The Future timeline doesn't happen because a woman politician changed one letter on a paper in the second grade? That sounds about right. Kenny Hitler is not being subtle.

Abe turned 87? You gotta feel for him to find out what everyone says about him. You rarely see stories about this. I also liked the ending with the family reading from a script (and Homer getting mad at seeing the tag).

Skinner wanting to be in the Ohio State marching band is totally him, but for Agnes to tell him he was rejected when he was accepted because she hates marching bands? Yeah, that was horrible.

Willie going through a Trainspotting like ordeal because of licorice was hilariously random. I also wanted to see a Step Brothers plot with Skinner and Barney.

And because the episode was short even with a tag, we get a fun little Hans Moleman short, not unlike "Everyone Loves Ned Flanders," even the theme song was similar.

• Like 1

As an alum of Ohio State University, I think this might be the best episode of The Simpsons ever. Okay maybe not, but at least it makes up for the horrible loss of the football team yesterday.

• Like 2

Signs inside the Planetarium
-- Are you a Kang or a Kodos ?
-- Maps to the Stars' Home
-- Bring Back Futurama 
-- Saturn Knows You Can't Have Too Many Rings -- Springfield Jewellers

I liked Pluto making implied threats about Halley's Comet.

Our universe is so enormous that every NFL stadium and their parking lots could fit inside it.

Moe: "Dammit, I was developing film."

Abe: "There's a pathetic old drunk peeing himself in the bathroom"
Bartender: "That's a mirror, and it's not the bathroom."

In the timeframe of Skinner's flashback, wasn't he Armin Tamzarian and an orphan at that time ? Because he only beceame Seymour Skinner after the Vietnam War.  Which means Agnes Skinner wasn't his mother at the time of the flashback.  So, are they retconing Skinner's backstory ..... again ?

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

In the timeframe of Skinner's flashback, wasn't he Armin Tamzarian and an orphan at that time ? Because he only beceame Seymour Skinner after the Vietnam War.  Which means Agnes Skinner wasn't his mother at the time of the flashback.  So, are they retconing Skinner's backstory ..... again ?

With a few offhand references over the years aside, they've been pretending that episode didn't happen, and I'm just fine with that.

Also, apparently there was a reference to Rick & Morty's szechuan sauce in the opening somewhere but I didn't catch it.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Galileo908 said:

Also, apparently there was a reference to Rick & Morty's szechuan sauce in the opening somewhere but I didn't catch it.

In the Intro, when Marge put Maggie in the shopping cart Maggie held up a bottle of szechuan sauce.

• Like 1

As someone who doesn't regularly watch the Simpsons (but catches a ton of reruns), this episode seemed to have much more plot than most. Everything sort of intertwined and worked together really well, while carrying independent story lines. Loved it!

I'm a sucker for space jokes!

• Like 1

In the timeframe of Skinner's flashback, wasn't he Armin Tamzarian and an orphan at that time

I believe the Judge said that episode never happened.  

Heh, that line about Michigan really made me laugh (I didn't go to either school but know a lot people that went to them).

• Like 2

And now I know what a tiddle is. Thank you, show!

Willie's Trainspotting homage had me LOL'ing, I almost lost it when the hamster ball appeared. 

So I assume the Hans Moleman song was tacked on at the end because the ep itself wasn't long enough? Don't get me wrong, I heart the Moleman (Shauna attempting to scan his arm at the supermarket cracked me up), it just seemed weird to me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kaboom 2.0 said:

So I assume the Hans Moleman song was tacked on at the end because the ep itself wasn't long enough? Don't get me wrong, I heart the Moleman (Shauna attempting to scan his arm at the supermarket cracked me up), it just seemed weird to me. 

This was pretty much my exact reaction to seeing the "Everyone Loves Ned Flanders" short at the end of The Front for the first time.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

[...]

Thank you. This really bothered me. I'll have to look later, but the way I remember it was that Skinner was going to continue to be Skinner and we'd never mention it again. NOT that he was suddenly the actual Skinner, just that everyone would pretend to forget and he wouldn't suffer any repercussions from impersonating actual Skinner. 

• Like 1

On 11/5/2017 at 9:51 PM, ottoDbusdriver said:

I've definitely said it here before, but it helps to think of the Simpsons timeline (given that no actual time passes) to be occurring in an infinite number of parallel universes. In some universes, Agnes denied Skinner his acceptance letter to Ohio State, in other universes Worf gets knocked out and comes in ninth place in the Bat'leth tournament.

I rather enjoyed this episode!

It was character driven: Lisa worried about grades, Bart being Bart but also throwing in the part about possibly the only time he'd hold a college acceptance letter. Granpa was great and Homer was good in the supporting role.  And of course Agnes was, and always has been, awful to Seymour. I did get a laugh out of the last part with Barney. 

• Like 2

Thank you all for the clarifications on poor Skinner's new past-history revelation being totally inconsistent with his being an impostor who took on the real Skinner's life as an adult! I never really believed that one, because who would take on such a life with such a mother? The tiny moment of reconciliation they had at the end here didn't soften my heart toward her at ALL.

• Like 1