17wheatthins

S01.E01: A Box of Dunkies & Two Squirts of Maple Syrup

Bridgette pursues a former hookup for an opinion on her post-birth vagina; Rafi is dating someone new. 

Edited by 17wheatthins · Reason: Spellcheck

One of the reviews says it gets better in episode 3.

Sounds like most reviewers have seen the first 3 eps.

• Like 2

I felt a mixture of second-hand embarrassment and horror-filled disbelief. I kept waiting for the kid to end up dead. He was left alone when she went to the market, nearly smothered under blankets and alone on a bench where his grandmother "could see him". He looks like he might be three at the oldest. He still rides in a stroller.

At least I got to see Gus from The Strain again.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I felt a mixture of second-hand embarrassment and horror-filled disbelief. I kept waiting for the kid to end up dead. He was left alone when she went to the market, nearly smothered under blankets and alone on a bench where his grandmother "could see him". He looks like he might be three at the oldest. He still rides in a stroller.

At least I got to see Gus from The Strain again.

Is the kid a boy or a girl?  He/she is played by twin girls.  I know the name is Larry but that is just because Bridgette's last name is Bird. 

1 hour ago, Dminches said:

Is the kid a boy or a girl?  He/she is played by twin girls.  I know the name is Larry but that is just because Bridgette's last name is Bird. 

The character is a boy - and those are beautiful girls who play him.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Armchair Critic said:

Rosie is looking rough!

She's doing it on purpose. Heard her on Howard Stern this morning. She's playing a character with mental illness issues and asked to wear no makeup. 

I for one liked the show but it does walk a fine line. Not as bad as Shameless, Which I finally had to give up. 

• Like 9

Awful. Won't be back. I can't find an ounce of compassion for Bridgette. Self-absorbed bad mom. Not representative of single moms at all.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Dminches said:

dear god, she named him "larry bird"?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

Awful. Won't be back. I can't find an ounce of compassion for Bridgette. Self-absorbed bad mom. Not representative of single moms at all.

Agreed. There's nothing appealing or quirky about Bridgette. I was absolutely disgusted when she attempted to have sex with some random guy while her kid was in the same bed. "Oh, I want to see if my vagina is still the same." Really, two years after your kid is born? Did you miss that part of high school health class?

Single moms are some of the most bad ass women on Earth. It's hard enough to raise children with a partner, let alone by yourself. My husband's sister is the best example of one I have the honor of knowing...she raised her daughter completely on her own with no financial or emotional support from her daughter's father (she attempted to get child support one time a year after my niece was born, and when he didn't show up to court and then disappeared, she never pursued it again), worked two jobs to put herself through college and got a Bachelor's Degree, a great career, and my niece has never wanted or needed for anything. She is now getting ready to graduate from high school with a 3.8 average and her choice of great universities. Why can't we have a show about someone like her? Someone who busts her ass to make the best life she can for her kid, watch her navigate dating and a social life, etc.? Maybe the show will make that turn eventually, but I don't have high hopes for it.

• Like 5

Yeah I don't know what to make of this show. I will give it an episode or two to start kicking in. It's throwing a lot at us. She has a little kid. She likes basketball. She wants to act. She was molested by her father. She's smart enough that some wealthy family hired her as a tutor. At some point these threads need to gel.  I'm willing to give it a few episodes to see what happens but I'm not sold yet.

I'm not a prude but some of the nudity and sex was a bit gratuitous. What plot point was served by having the actor sit in a bath naked just long enough to see her bare breasts and genitalia?

I actually thought Rosie was pretty good. That's a hard accent to do without sounding like "Sully and Denise" from SNL. I also liked the small scene with the neighbor, quietly lamenting the gentrification that is plaguing so many old neighborhoods.

• Like 4

I read the comments here before watching the episode.  I didn't think it was as bad as the impression I got here.  Bridgette's a mess, but she seems to know it.  I'm glad she finally cleaned her filthy apartment - although she seemed to bathe Larry, and herself, regularly.  I didn't think she was quite as bad as a mother as others here.  Her mother was the one who left Larry alone on the bench, and you could tell Bridgette was really stressed by leaving Larry alone to run to the market.  Sex with the kid in the bed . . . . well, she doesn't have much choice since she always has the kid, and her apartment is a tiny studio.  Still creepy, or funny, which I think was the goal.

Are we supposed to think Bridgette is bulimic? She's a tiny little thing, but was shoving food in her mouth like a true binge.  She threw up when she knew she was getting a booty call, and regardless of the reason, that's disordered eating.

I'm curious how she got the tutoring job, and if it's a paid gig.  The mother, Ally, seems to be a friend, and Bridgette's mother seemed to know all about her.

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 5:10 PM, Mumbles said:

Yeah I don't know what to make of this show. I will give it an episode or two to start kicking in. It's throwing a lot at us. She has a little kid. She likes basketball. She wants to act. She was molested by her father. She's smart enough that some wealthy family hired her as a tutor. At some point these threads need to gel.  I'm willing to give it a few episodes to see what happens but I'm not sold yet.

I'm not a prude but some of the nudity and sex was a bit gratuitous. What plot point was served by having the actor sit in a bath naked just long enough to see her bare breasts and genitalia?

I actually thought Rosie was pretty good. That's a hard accent to do without sounding like "Sully and Denise" from SNL. I also liked the small scene with the neighbor, quietly lamenting the gentrification that is plaguing so many old neighborhoods.

I didn't see any genitalia, but I do question the real life mother of the twins, who allowed the scene with her child literally in the crotch of the actress.  Maybe it was handled delicately.  And a 2 y/o really doesn't understand nudity and its implications.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

I didn't see any genitalia, but I do question the real life mother of the twins, who allowed the scene with her child literally in the crotch of the actress.  Maybe it was handled delicately.  And a 2 y/o really doesn't understand nudity and its implications.

The actresses playing Larry are girls so maybe it isn't that big an issue?  They were just in the bath tub and there wasn't anything weird going on.

I enjoyed the first episode too.  I am sure there are a lot of women out there who can relate to Bridgette and her complicated life.

• Like 1

Yeah I wasn't concerned about the baby, who doesn't understand what's going on and there was nothing untoward about the contact anyway. I just roll my eyes a little when there's nudity that doesn't serve a narrative purpose and seems to be included for shock value or for reviewers can call it "brave" or "raw" or "edgy." I'm not going to write my congressman about it or clutch my pearls, but I will roll my eyes a little and call it "try-hard."

I didn't see any genitalia

You're correct, I was inaccurate. I just meant pubic region. (That said I do hope that au naturel is coming back in style, hooray for grown women looking like grown women.)

• Like 2

Well the guy was fully nude in that sex scene too.

Anyways, it says something that she's preoccupied with her vagina being stretched out after giving birth.  I guess she's still suppose to be pretty young, like in her early 20s or something.

But of all the problems she has to deal with, she chooses to have sex to see if she can still please men?  Does that mean she thinks the ultimate answer to her problems is to snag a guy, who will be the provider?

As for the basketball thing, she'd have problems in any kind of half competitive playground game.  She's not tall so she's got to have skills.  But she won't be able to match the athleticism or strength of half-fit guys who are in their 20s, 30s, 40s.  They would be humoring her.  That may sound sexist but it's simple reality.  They may let her shoot or not try to exploit her on defense but she's not going to be able to take any guys off the dribble and create her own shot.

She doesn't get into the WNBA on a tryout.  There are plenty of good players who come out of college programs.  They are more fit, bigger, stronger, faster, younger and more skilled.

Again that story is about looking for an easy way to deal with her money problems?

Or acting?

Is she too good for public assistance while she tries to go to night school or something to improve her job prospects?  Or is that route too boring to put on TV?  University of Phoenix, a ripoff commercial university, puts out these commercials which glamorize the single mother finding success by going through their programs.  

Of course University of Phoenix, to put it charitably, is overpromising, if not engaging in fraud, their slick commercials notwithstanding, which is why the commercials have drawn so much criticism.

Edited by scrb
  • Like 2

On 11/9/2017 at 1:18 AM, RedheadZombie said:

you could tell Bridgette was really stressed by leaving Larry alone to run to the market.

and

Are we supposed to think Bridgette is bulimic? She's a tiny little thing, but was shoving food in her mouth like a true binge.  She threw up when she knew she was getting a booty call, and regardless of the reason, that's disordered eating.

Yeah, I think so. She left Larry alone to go to the convenience store (at higher prices than a regular market, clearly no money sense) to buy junk food to binge on. Lied about it being Larry's birthday. Brought home her old boyfriend to have sex with in same bed as Larry. WTF. Show has no redeeming qualities as far as I'm concerned. Girl needs help and lots of it!

• Like 4

i liked the actress on Mr Robot so I wont give up, but this show comes off to try hard

this is going to come down to the supporting characters because the character she plays is awful

she and the baby daddy cant BOTH be a mess lol

I did laugh at "you named your child Larry Bird" line thou I hate myself for it

Edited by dd21dd21

On 11/9/2017 at 9:14 AM, scrb said:

But of all the problems she has to deal with, she chooses to have sex to see if she can still please men?  Does that mean she thinks the ultimate answer to her problems is to snag a guy, who will be the provider?

I think it means she has serious issues with her body, revolving around both sex and food, and this episode tried to spend about 30 seconds each on a multitude of reasons why she has said issues.

• Like 5

The most amusing thing about this episode was the episode title. The best thing was the appearance of Tami Taylor, which I was not expecting.She is always welcome on my tv! But the episode itself was more boring than anything. I kept waiting for something interesting to happen. They need to give me a reason to care about any of these characters.

I suspect there will be more conflict between Bridgette and Rafi about Larry, but at this point, knowing what we know, which is that Rafi's major interaction with Larry is putting him to bed, I can't blame Bridgette for being the one to make decisions like no prayers. If you're not going to be fully involved in your child's life then you don't get to make major decisions about how he is raised.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Like 1

Tammy Taylor is a hoot in this series, at least the first season.

Wait until you watch the later episodes.  She plays quite a character -- I don't even know the character's name here.

• Like 1