Jump to content
SilverStormm

Small Talk: Take A Break From Shop(ping) Talk

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, LeeDenny said:

A good bra fitter is worth their weight in gold. @SuprSuprElevated It's like getting a mammogram without the pain; they've seen them all. 

I'm sure you're right.  No, I have never done it, never felt the need before now.  Tbh, I would be surprised if there is a <good> fitter within 4 counties of here.  Probably have to go to Chicago.  Don't think I would trust the local Macy's or whatever. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 2:38 PM, Coffeecup said:

Glad to hear that your friend got in touch with you.  Sounds like she is pretty sick and is preoccupied with that. I hope she gets better.

Thanks, @Coffeecup.   My friend doesn't like to show her vulnerability but I know she's scared.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I live in a part of the country that has this sort of weather from time to time, and I am stunned every time I see videos such as this.  I am not a 'shrinking violet' sort of driver, and I would never, never drive like this in weather.  These people should be prosecuted, if they're not dead.

  • Surprise 2

Share this post


Link to post

Just wanted to say that I send Rick Domeier condolences. 

IF you had great parents, when you lose that second one, that last living parent -- even if they'e been ill, it can be like losing the last one person you knew that no mater what would listen, support you and "have your back" -- as they say. It's the last living person who gave you your wings from childhood, and helped and supported you into becoming the person who are. It's a hole that's never filled. A big hole -- and a little hole at the same time.

I think, IF you had good parents, you always miss them. The remembrances are fond. But their spirit being with you is not the same as, and can't hold a candle to, a phone call and a voice.

As the great children's TV host Mr. (Fred) Rogers once said, "Would you just take, along with me, ten seconds to think of the people who have helped you become who you are." 

Edited by selhars · Reason: grammar/syntax
  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

My husband is an incredibly stoic person, rarely showing emotion.  He was extremely close with his mother, and it took a few weeks after her death before he broke.  It was the first and so far only time I've seen him cry.  He broke my heart when he said "I'm an orphan now, there's no one left in my family".  I knew he meant his original, nuclear family.  I haven't experienced the death of both parents yet, and I'm not sure how it will feel, but I loathe when people ask how old a parent was, then give the standard "oh, well they had a good life" answer.  Your parent is always that person that nurtured and raised you (if you were fortunate).  The elderly, perhaps sick person that died is only a small fraction of their life.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Like 6
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

My husband is an incredibly stoic person, rarely showing emotion.  He was extremely close with his mother, and it took a few weeks after her death before he broke.  It was the first and so far only time I've seen him cry.  He broke my heart when he said "I'm an orphan now, there's no one left in my family".  I knew he meant his original, nuclear family.  I haven't experienced the death of both parents yet, and I'm not sure how it will feel, but I loathe when people ask how old a parent was, then give the standard "oh, well they had a good life" answer.  Your parent is always that person that nurtured and raised you (if you were fortunate).  The elderly, perhaps sick person that died is only a small fraction of their life.

I miss my parents every day, we had our problems, but they were always in my corner and I knew they loved me. So many times I wish I could call my mom, sigh.

  • Like 5
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I've seen a few of these before, but to see them all in a group is rather nice. 

A glimpse of heaven on earth when the Lord returns!!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/13/2019 at 6:54 PM, SuprSuprElevated said:

I have the opposite problem.  I have an above average circumference, so naturally, it is assumed that I need a double KK cup size.  I don't.

I first saw the K-cup and thought of a Keurig, one of the signs that I've watched too much Q in my life.

On 2/13/2019 at 7:37 PM, lovemesomejoolery said:

I am weird - I buy all new bras every January.  My go-to is a Bali style that I have worn for years.  Before that I wore Le Mystere - the Dream Tisha.  I got tired of spending so much on a bra (even though the Le Mystere brand fit me better than any bra ever has!), so that's why I went to Bali.  For a time, I got my bras at Soma.....all I can say is that their bras are no better or worse than the Bali.

Sizing is NOT consistent from brand to brand or even with different styles within any given brand.  At least I have found that to be the case.  I've read somewhere that most women wear the wrong size.......I had the right size but maybe the wrong bra!  I liked Soma because you could go in the store, be fitted, and they would get different bras for you to try on instead of you getting dressed and undressed to go get different styles.  Once I knew the style and size, I'd order them online.  Soma discontinued my bra, so that is why I went back to my Bali.

I would not try a new brand by shopping online.....I would always go in a store and try it on first.

Over the years I've tried a few different bras, but I always go back to my Flower Bali. 

Your description regarding sizing with different styles even within a brand is spot on. It's so frustrating. One brand said I was a D. Breezies sizing recommended a B. I'm not ordering Breezies again, ever. 

I've saved the ThirdLove link. I might try them out later. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 4:19 PM, SuprSuprElevated said:

I've seen a few of these before, but to see them all in a group is rather nice. 

Thank you!!  This is fantastic.  Love it!

Hi All,

I don't know where to ask this question, so forgive me.... does anyone know where "life below zero" is now located?

I cannot find it.  Thank you!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

back to the bra convo,  I got a mailer from Soma over the weekend , new bra coming out, looks like it might be similar to the Rachel sort of , going to check it out at end of the month. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Rain, rain, flood watches, floods, lightning, thunder, more rain . . . I'm looking forward to a time when the weather is so calm that it isn't the lead story on the local news every day.

Edited by Coffeecup
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
32 minutes ago, Coffeecup said:

Rain, rain, flood watches, floods, lightning, thunder, more rain . . . I'm looking forward to a time when the weather is so calm that it isn't the lead story on the local news every day.

We have lots of snow in MN (that may result in flooding in some areas in the spring), but I think flooding is scarier.  Hope you can stay safe.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Thumper said:

We have lots of snow in MN (that may result in flooding in some areas in the spring), but I think flooding is scarier.  Hope you can stay safe.

Thanks Thumper. I have a pile of sandbags ready to put in front of my basement door, if I see water advancing toward my house. I live next to a large creek that is prone to flooding. This rain every day is ridiculous. The ground is so soggy, after a couple of weeks of rain,  it's like walking on a wet sponge.

  • Like 2
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Coffeecup said:

Thanks Thumper. I have a pile of sandbags ready to put in front of my basement door, if I see water advancing toward my house. I live next to a large creek that is prone to flooding. This rain every day is ridiculous. The ground is so soggy, after a couple of weeks of rain,  it's like walking on a wet sponge.

I can relate. My yard is so soggy from months and months of rainy days and now snow (with more rain on top), that I'm expecting to see Swamp Thing rise from the mud any second now...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×