SilverStormm

Small Talk: Take A Break From Shop(ping) Talk

3 hours ago, LeeDenny said:

A good bra fitter is worth their weight in gold. @SuprSuprElevated It's like getting a mammogram without the pain; they've seen them all. 

I'm sure you're right.  No, I have never done it, never felt the need before now.  Tbh, I would be surprised if there is a <good> fitter within 4 counties of here.  Probably have to go to Chicago.  Don't think I would trust the local Macy's or whatever. 

• Like 3

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 2:38 PM, Coffeecup said:

Glad to hear that your friend got in touch with you.  Sounds like she is pretty sick and is preoccupied with that. I hope she gets better.

Thanks, @Coffeecup.   My friend doesn't like to show her vulnerability but I know she's scared.

• Like 3

I live in a part of the country that has this sort of weather from time to time, and I am stunned every time I see videos such as this.  I am not a 'shrinking violet' sort of driver, and I would never, never drive like this in weather.  These people should be prosecuted, if they're not dead.

• Surprise 2

Just wanted to say that I send Rick Domeier condolences. 

IF you had great parents, when you lose that second one, that last living parent -- even if they'e been ill, it can be like losing the last one person you knew that no mater what would listen, support you and "have your back" -- as they say. It's the last living person who gave you your wings from childhood, and helped and supported you into becoming the person who are. It's a hole that's never filled. A big hole -- and a little hole at the same time.

I think, IF you had good parents, you always miss them. The remembrances are fond. But their spirit being with you is not the same as, and can't hold a candle to, a phone call and a voice.

As the great children's TV host Mr. (Fred) Rogers once said, "Would you just take, along with me, ten seconds to think of the people who have helped you become who you are." 

Edited by selhars · Reason: grammar/syntax
  • Like 9

My husband is an incredibly stoic person, rarely showing emotion.  He was extremely close with his mother, and it took a few weeks after her death before he broke.  It was the first and so far only time I've seen him cry.  He broke my heart when he said "I'm an orphan now, there's no one left in my family".  I knew he meant his original, nuclear family.  I haven't experienced the death of both parents yet, and I'm not sure how it will feel, but I loathe when people ask how old a parent was, then give the standard "oh, well they had a good life" answer.  Your parent is always that person that nurtured and raised you (if you were fortunate).  The elderly, perhaps sick person that died is only a small fraction of their life.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Like 7
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

My husband is an incredibly stoic person, rarely showing emotion.  He was extremely close with his mother, and it took a few weeks after her death before he broke.  It was the first and so far only time I've seen him cry.  He broke my heart when he said "I'm an orphan now, there's no one left in my family".  I knew he meant his original, nuclear family.  I haven't experienced the death of both parents yet, and I'm not sure how it will feel, but I loathe when people ask how old a parent was, then give the standard "oh, well they had a good life" answer.  Your parent is always that person that nurtured and raised you (if you were fortunate).  The elderly, perhaps sick person that died is only a small fraction of their life.

I miss my parents every day, we had our problems, but they were always in my corner and I knew they loved me. So many times I wish I could call my mom, sigh.

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I've seen a few of these before, but to see them all in a group is rather nice. 

A glimpse of heaven on earth when the Lord returns!!

• Like 4

On 2/13/2019 at 6:54 PM, SuprSuprElevated said:

I have the opposite problem.  I have an above average circumference, so naturally, it is assumed that I need a double KK cup size.  I don't.

I first saw the K-cup and thought of a Keurig, one of the signs that I've watched too much Q in my life.

On 2/13/2019 at 7:37 PM, lovemesomejoolery said:

I am weird - I buy all new bras every January.  My go-to is a Bali style that I have worn for years.  Before that I wore Le Mystere - the Dream Tisha.  I got tired of spending so much on a bra (even though the Le Mystere brand fit me better than any bra ever has!), so that's why I went to Bali.  For a time, I got my bras at Soma.....all I can say is that their bras are no better or worse than the Bali.

Sizing is NOT consistent from brand to brand or even with different styles within any given brand.  At least I have found that to be the case.  I've read somewhere that most women wear the wrong size.......I had the right size but maybe the wrong bra!  I liked Soma because you could go in the store, be fitted, and they would get different bras for you to try on instead of you getting dressed and undressed to go get different styles.  Once I knew the style and size, I'd order them online.  Soma discontinued my bra, so that is why I went back to my Bali.

I would not try a new brand by shopping online.....I would always go in a store and try it on first.

Over the years I've tried a few different bras, but I always go back to my Flower Bali. 

Your description regarding sizing with different styles even within a brand is spot on. It's so frustrating. One brand said I was a D. Breezies sizing recommended a B. I'm not ordering Breezies again, ever. 

I've saved the ThirdLove link. I might try them out later. 

• Like 5

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 4:19 PM, SuprSuprElevated said:

I've seen a few of these before, but to see them all in a group is rather nice. 

Thank you!!  This is fantastic.  Love it!

Hi All,

I don't know where to ask this question, so forgive me.... does anyone know where "life below zero" is now located?

I cannot find it.  Thank you!

• Like 2

back to the bra convo,  I got a mailer from Soma over the weekend , new bra coming out, looks like it might be similar to the Rachel sort of , going to check it out at end of the month. 

• Like 3

Rain, rain, flood watches, floods, lightning, thunder, more rain . . . I'm looking forward to a time when the weather is so calm that it isn't the lead story on the local news every day.

Edited by Coffeecup
  • Like 7

32 minutes ago, Coffeecup said:

Rain, rain, flood watches, floods, lightning, thunder, more rain . . . I'm looking forward to a time when the weather is so calm that it isn't the lead story on the local news every day.

We have lots of snow in MN (that may result in flooding in some areas in the spring), but I think flooding is scarier.  Hope you can stay safe.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thumper said:

We have lots of snow in MN (that may result in flooding in some areas in the spring), but I think flooding is scarier.  Hope you can stay safe.

Thanks Thumper. I have a pile of sandbags ready to put in front of my basement door, if I see water advancing toward my house. I live next to a large creek that is prone to flooding. This rain every day is ridiculous. The ground is so soggy, after a couple of weeks of rain,  it's like walking on a wet sponge.

• Like 3
  • Surprise 1

7 hours ago, Coffeecup said:

Thanks Thumper. I have a pile of sandbags ready to put in front of my basement door, if I see water advancing toward my house. I live next to a large creek that is prone to flooding. This rain every day is ridiculous. The ground is so soggy, after a couple of weeks of rain,  it's like walking on a wet sponge.

I can relate. My yard is so soggy from months and months of rainy days and now snow (with more rain on top), that I'm expecting to see Swamp Thing rise from the mud any second now...

• Like 3

On 2/16/2019 at 6:34 PM, SuprSuprElevated said:

I live in a part of the country that has this sort of weather from time to time, and I am stunned every time I see videos such as this.  I am not a 'shrinking violet' sort of driver, and I would never, never drive like this in weather.  These people should be prosecuted, if they're not dead.

And people wonder why I don't drive. I hope none of these idiots get paid a cent from the insurance company.

I'm having a bad time this week. I mentioned on here many times that I'm a hypochondriac. I also mentioned that several months ago I found a lump in my breast and got an ultrasound. They found some cysts and a fibroadenoma (benign growth that is common for younger women) and told me to come back in six months to get the fibroadenoma imaged again to see if it would have to be removed. I also believe I told the story on here about how the ultrasound technician was very rude to me and refused to give me my test results and then laughed in my face when I asked why.

Well today is exactly six months from then. I've gotten letters from the ultrasound place and my doctor telling me I have to come back in to get it imaged again. I can already tell that it got bigger and it has also become painful. This can happen with fibroadenomas but it is still making me worry about it. But because I'm terrified that they made a mistake and it's actually cancer, and also I'm especially terrified because of how I was treated at the ultrasound place, I can't get the courage to go to the appointment. I feel like I will drop dead of a heart attack from fear if I go. It was already bad enough the first time around.

I asked the doctor at the ultrasound place if she was 100% sure it wasn't cancer. She said that she was positive it wasn't because of the shape and said that if she had any doubt, she would do a biopsy to make sure. She must look at this stuff all day so one would think she knows what she's talking about. But because of how they treated me I'm afraid there was some mistake and they got it mixed up with someone else's file or they misread it or something.

I'm also concerned with why I suddenly started getting all these things in the first place. As far as I know I didn't have any of these a couple of years ago and suddenly I got cysts and a fibroadenoma out of nowhere. Why? Is it just a getting older thing? Is it because of certain medications? Is it from my vitamin D deficiency? Or is it a sign of something else?

Either way I'm terrified and can barely concentrate on anything this week.

I want to go to a different ultrasound place but they need a referral from the doctor's office and the doctor's office wants me to come in to get the referral, so that makes it even more complicated, plus having to forward the medical records and all.

Edited by BuyMoreAndSave
  • Like 2

@BuyMoreAndSave, I understand your anxiety.  It is very scary to go back for more tests.  I suggest you go back -- you may get a different technician who is more sensitive.  Keep in mind, as my sister who worked in health care said, these folks are so used to it day to day,  they are not always sensitized to how it feels to the new patient. (Not that it is right!)

If it still doesn't feel right, then you can proceed to the next steps of going elsewhere.

As always, there may be others here with better experience/advice.

Let us know how you are doing.

• Like 5

@BuyMoreAndSave when I go to my ultrasound place i ask at the reception desk for a disk copy and a report copy. They usually make a note on my file. Sometimes they forget. Regardless, I tell the tech before the procedure that I want a cd copy of the exam and a report copy. The oblige with the cd copy on the spot and then tell me report will come in mail. Then on the way out the door with my cd copy I stop at registration desk and ask how i can get copy of report from today’s exam. I follow instructions given. If I don’t receive report in timely manner thru the mail I call and request again. Its all very tedious but I get what I want.

• Like 5

@BuyMoreAndSave, I have cysts too (although they're congregating in one breast and not the other). I also have a bunch of cysts on my head.  It's a family trait.

I know another person who has cysts in her breasts, so it's not an uncommon thing.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, BuyMoreAndSave said:

I'm also concerned with why I suddenly started getting all these things in the first place. As far as I know I didn't have any of these a couple of years ago and suddenly I got cysts and a fibroadenoma out of nowhere. Why? Is it just a getting older thing? Is it because of certain medications? Is it from my vitamin D deficiency? Or is it a sign of something else?

I promise you I am not being flippant here, but maybe, just maybe, it could be related to stress.  I know you've been going through a difficult period, and stress often impacts our physical health in ways we don't even realize.  Just a thought.

Please reconsider biting the bullet and doing the ultrasound.  In my experience, the not-knowing is the worst of stressors.

• Like 13

11 hours ago, Thumper said:

@BuyMoreAndSave, I understand your anxiety.  It is very scary to go back for more tests.  I suggest you go back -- you may get a different technician who is more sensitive.  Keep in mind, as my sister who worked in health care said, these folks are so used to it day to day,  they are not always sensitized to how it feels to the new patient. (Not that it is right!)

If it still doesn't feel right, then you can proceed to the next steps of going elsewhere.

As always, there may be others here with better experience/advice.

Let us know how you are doing.

Thanks ❤️ Yes I think you said that to me when I posted my original story. I do want to try to go to the other ultrasound place though. My husband and MIL have been there for tests and they both say the staff there are really nice. I just wish there weren't extra steps involved.

10 hours ago, Tshopstoo said:

@BuyMoreAndSave when I go to my ultrasound place i ask at the reception desk for a disk copy and a report copy. They usually make a note on my file. Sometimes they forget. Regardless, I tell the tech before the procedure that I want a cd copy of the exam and a report copy. The oblige with the cd copy on the spot and then tell me report will come in mail. Then on the way out the door with my cd copy I stop at registration desk and ask how i can get copy of report from today’s exam. I follow instructions given. If I don’t receive report in timely manner thru the mail I call and request again. Its all very tedious but I get what I want.

I didn't know you could do that! I will start doing that because they didn't give me any copies last time.

5 hours ago, letusprocrastinate said:

@BuyMoreAndSave, I have cysts too (although they're congregating in one breast and not the other). I also have a bunch of cysts on my head.  It's a family trait.

I know another person who has cysts in her breasts, so it's not an uncommon thing.

I think it is pretty common. I have a friend who's older than me and she said that women get all kinds of lumps in their breasts all the time and it's almost never cancer. I also think my mom mentioned having breast cysts once, but since I'm estranged from her I can't ask her. In any case the doctor said I have fibrocystic breasts so the tissue is more dense, and that it is common (~50% of women) but also increases my risk of breast cancer 😞

I also do get a lot of cysts in general. I have skin cysts all over my torso. If I use any products with fragrances or colorants in that area, they get inflamed and sometimes one swells up with fluid and I have to go to the dermatologist and get it drained. I also got an ovarian cyst last year. Maybe it's just a genetic thing.

1 hour ago, walnutqueen said:

I promise you I am not being flippant here, but maybe, just maybe, it could be related to stress.  I know you've been going through a difficult period, and stress often impacts our physical health in ways we don't even realize.  Just a thought.

Please reconsider biting the bullet and doing the ultrasound.  In my experience, the not-knowing is the worst of stressors.

It's possible. I have gotten a lot of stress related illnesses. I have a feeling it's related to a medication I took twice this year. I noticed the first cysts a couple of months after taking it the first time, and I noticed the fibroadenoma got bigger a couple of months after taking it the second time.

Thanks for all your responses you guys. You are truly the best!

• Like 4

@BuyMoreAndSave, sending healing thoughts your way.  As a fellow hypochondriac, I know how difficult it is to stay calm amid all the heightened anxiety and stress.  Have you tried some form of meditation and/or prayer?  I've had some relief in these areas.

Edited by Bronx Babe
  • Like 4

42 minutes ago, Bronx Babe said:

@BuyMoreAndSave, sending healing thoughts your way.  As a fellow hypochondriac, I know how difficult it is to stay calm amid all the heightened anxiety and stress.  Have you tried some form of meditation and/or prayer?  I've had some relief in these areas.

Meditation never works on me and I'm agnostic.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, BuyMoreAndSave said:

Meditation never works on me and I'm agnostic.

So sorry!

As for "prayer" -- I should have clarified this to mean as in a spiritual and not necessarily religious/traditional sense.  My fault.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bronx Babe said:

So sorry!

As for "prayer" -- I should have clarified this to mean as in a spiritual and not necessarily religious/traditional sense.  My fault.

It's a lovely idea, @Bronx Babe.  You are right, a person can put positive thoughts, vibes, intention, "prayer" out into the universe or nature too.  My QiGong teacher always presents it that way to us.

• Like 3

Thank you, @Thumper.  

I've done some QiGong movements when they were being presented on public television a while ago and afterwards opened my door to a neighbor who commented "You look so relaxed", which I've never forgotten as that's not how most people would basically describe me, lol.  They did feel good while I was doing them and I do plan on continuing these exercises in hopes of really reducing my overall stress and anxiety.

• Like 3

On 2/24/2019 at 5:03 PM, Bronx Babe said:

Thank you, @Thumper.  

I've done some QiGong movements when they were being presented on public television a while ago and afterwards opened my door to a neighbor who commented "You look so relaxed", which I've never forgotten as that's not how most people would basically describe me, lol.  They did feel good while I was doing them and I do plan on continuing these exercises in hopes of really reducing my overall stress and anxiety.

I actually took a Qi Gong class as a gym elective in college, and also Walking Meditation. It didn't work for me either. I think it just works on some people and not others. Maybe you have to believe it will work or something.

Anyway, health update, didn't get the ultrasound yet, but I did go to the dentist today for the first time in 8 years and found out what was wrong with my teeth. I mentioned I was getting all these white and brown spots on my teeth for no reason, and had a gap between one of my teeth and the gum. It turns out my orthodontist left cement on my teeth when they took off my braces over a decade ago, and it was stained. The dentist blasted the cement off with a drill and the brown spots are gone! It also turns out there never was a gap between my gum and tooth, it just looked and felt like there was because of the cement. She also said my brushing and flossing habits are thorough and I have no cavities, and the white spots are from overbrushing (I accidentally bought toothbrushes that were too hard and used them for several months). I bought a sonic toothbrush there that tells you if you are brushing too hard. It's a relief to know my teeth are better than I thought because I seriously thought I was going to have a bunch of cavities.

I also made an appointment for a therapist for my anxiety but the idiots a) cancelled my appointment because they accidentally double-booked, and b) then told me that they actually didn't take my insurance even though they lied and said they did on Zocdoc, so I would have to pay $275 a visit up front and then submit it to my insurance company and wait however knows long to be reimbursed, possibly not even fully. Bastards. The lady on the phone sounded kind of creepy though, like that lady from the Heaven's Gate cult. So it was probably for the best.

People always shame me for not going to therapy when they find out how bad my anxiety is, but they also don't realize how difficult it has been for me to even find a therapist that is feasible for me to go to, and how many bad experiences I have had with therapists. I wonder how long it will set me back this time to find another one.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, BuyMoreAndSave said:

I actually took a Qi Gong class as a gym elective in college, and also Walking Meditation. It didn't work for me either. I think it just works on some people and not others. Maybe you have to believe it will work or something.

Anyway, health update, didn't get the ultrasound yet, but I did go to the dentist today for the first time in 8 years and found out what was wrong with my teeth. I mentioned I was getting all these white and brown spots on my teeth for no reason, and had a gap between one of my teeth and the gum. It turns out my orthodontist left cement on my teeth when they took off my braces over a decade ago, and it was stained. The dentist blasted the cement off with a drill and the brown spots are gone! It also turns out there never was a gap between my gum and tooth, it just looked and felt like there was because of the cement. She also said my brushing and flossing habits are thorough and I have no cavities, and the white spots are from overbrushing (I accidentally bought toothbrushes that were too hard and used them for several months). I bought a sonic toothbrush there that tells you if you are brushing too hard. It's a relief to know my teeth are better than I thought because I seriously thought I was going to have a bunch of cavities.

I also made an appointment for a therapist for my anxiety but the idiots a) cancelled my appointment because they accidentally double-booked, and b) then told me that they actually didn't take my insurance even though they lied and said they did on Zocdoc, so I would have to pay $275 a visit up front and then submit it to my insurance company and wait however knows long to be reimbursed, possibly not even fully. Bastards. The lady on the phone sounded kind of creepy though, like that lady from the Heaven's Gate cult. So it was probably for the best.

People always shame me for not going to therapy when they find out how bad my anxiety is, but they also don't realize how difficult it has been for me to even find a therapist that is feasible for me to go to, and how many bad experiences I have had with therapists. I wonder how long it will set me back this time to find another one.

Great news about your teeth! You must be thrilled! 

Yes. It takes a while to find a)a therapist that takes your insurance b) an appointment c) one that you like!

• Like 6

On 2/22/2019 at 12:15 AM, BuyMoreAndSave said:

And people wonder why I don't drive. I hope none of these idiots get paid a cent from the insurance company.

I'm having a bad time this week. I mentioned on here many times that I'm a hypochondriac. I also mentioned that several months ago I found a lump in my breast and got an ultrasound. They found some cysts and a fibroadenoma (benign growth that is common for younger women) and told me to come back in six months to get the fibroadenoma imaged again to see if it would have to be removed. I also believe I told the story on here about how the ultrasound technician was very rude to me and refused to give me my test results and then laughed in my face when I asked why.

Well today is exactly six months from then. I've gotten letters from the ultrasound place and my doctor telling me I have to come back in to get it imaged again. I can already tell that it got bigger and it has also become painful. This can happen with fibroadenomas but it is still making me worry about it. But because I'm terrified that they made a mistake and it's actually cancer, and also I'm especially terrified because of how I was treated at the ultrasound place, I can't get the courage to go to the appointment. I feel like I will drop dead of a heart attack from fear if I go. It was already bad enough the first time around.

I asked the doctor at the ultrasound place if she was 100% sure it wasn't cancer. She said that she was positive it wasn't because of the shape and said that if she had any doubt, she would do a biopsy to make sure. She must look at this stuff all day so one would think she knows what she's talking about. But because of how they treated me I'm afraid there was some mistake and they got it mixed up with someone else's file or they misread it or something.

Either way I'm terrified and can barely concentrate on anything this week.

I want to go to a different ultrasound place but they need a referral from the doctor's office and the doctor's office wants me to come in to get the referral, so that makes it even more complicated, plus having to forward the medical records and all.

I am just reading this and can let you know that I had fibroadenomas  as well. I am in my mid 60's now so back in the day lol when I had them they could never be sure what was what so I actually had biopsies more than once (trying to remember but who can at this point-- I would say at least 2 times might have been 3 or 4). I felt so relieved each time I was told it wa absolutely benign. Nowadays they re able to discern it with the technology so typically there is no  biopsy needed.

The other good news is as you get older, the likelihood of them is less and less. Now the mammograms are just annoying (and yes, not fun at all dont get me started!!) but they are over and done with and hardly ever any extra drama. 

Definitely go back and follow up and then you can address what needs to be- which is most likely, everything is fine.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

7 hours ago, mayvenne said:

I am just reading this and can let you know that I had fibroadenomas  as well. I am in my mid 60's now so back in the day lol when I had them they could never be sure what was what so I actually had biopsies more than once (trying to remember but who can at this point-- I would say at least 2 times might have been 3 or 4). I felt so relieved each time I was told it wa absolutely benign. Nowadays they re able to discern it with the technology so typically there is no  biopsy needed.

The other good news is as you get older, the likelihood of them is less and less. Now the mammograms are just annoying (and yes, not fun at all dont get me started!!) but they are over and done with and hardly ever any extra drama. 

Definitely go back and follow up and then you can address what needs to be- which is most likely, everything is fine.

Thanks, this makes me feel a lot better! The doctor said she was 100% sure it was benign and that if she had any doubt, she would biopsy it. I am just paranoid because it grew and it hurts now. I think they will probably have to remove it but as long as it's not cancer, that doesn't bother me that much. I made the appointment to get the referral next week and hopefully I can get the ultrasound a day or two after.

I also found a therapist but they only had an appointment for two weeks from now. We will see how that goes.

• Like 2

A word of caution on getting reports sent to you.  In 2016 I had some post menopausel bleeding and sought medical attention.  The first go-round I had a hysteroscope which found polyps and I had them removed.  Bleeding continued.  Had a pap smear that showed atypical cells that the doctors office filed away.  I got those results and called their office and was told to come back in.  Another cervical biopsy that revealed nothing.  About a month later, I woke up in a pool of blood.  I called the doctors office, went right down and they did another biopsy.  I went home to wait for results.  A week before Christmas, the lab sent ME the results that clearly said that I had cancer.  I sat for two weeks paralyzed by the knowledge that I had some type of cancer - the lab had sent the samples to Johns Hopkins to confirm the diagnosis and to confirm that it was an aggressive type of uterine cancer.  I finally called my gyno who was very upset that I had gotten these results in an email.  She said she was waiting until John's Hopkins confirmed this information before calling me.  She had NO idea that these results were released to me without benefit of a doctors consultation.  I went thru hell.  My husband who did not see the word cancer, it was CARCINOMA on the email, kept telling me that I was worrying for nothing.  In early 2017 I had a hysterectomy, ovaries and cervix removed and then 6 months of chemo and then radiation.  While I am greatful that I received the first pap smear results, because I shudder to think what would have happened had I not persisted with medical tests, I also would not want to see anyone relive the horror of those few weeks before Christmas and into early January because of an email being sent out.  EDITED TO ADD:  the biopsies showed nothing because the samples were taken around the areas that had cancer cells.  Had I not persisted, it would have been discovered too late.

• Like 6
  • Surprise 1

22 hours ago, Jerseygirl1955 said:

A word of caution on getting reports sent to you.  In 2016 I had some post menopausel bleeding and sought medical attention.  The first go-round I had a hysteroscope which found polyps and I had them removed.  Bleeding continued.  Had a pap smear that showed atypical cells that the doctors office filed away.  I got those results and called their office and was told to come back in.  Another cervical biopsy that revealed nothing.  About a month later, I woke up in a pool of blood.  I called the doctors office, went right down and they did another biopsy.  I went home to wait for results.  A week before Christmas, the lab sent ME the results that clearly said that I had cancer.  I sat for two weeks paralyzed by the knowledge that I had some type of cancer - the lab had sent the samples to Johns Hopkins to confirm the diagnosis and to confirm that it was an aggressive type of uterine cancer.  I finally called my gyno who was very upset that I had gotten these results in an email.  She said she was waiting until John's Hopkins confirmed this information before calling me.  She had NO idea that these results were released to me without benefit of a doctors consultation.  I went thru hell.  My husband who did not see the word cancer, it was CARCINOMA on the email, kept telling me that I was worrying for nothing.  In early 2017 I had a hysterectomy, ovaries and cervix removed and then 6 months of chemo and then radiation.  While I am greatful that I received the first pap smear results, because I shudder to think what would have happened had I not persisted with medical tests, I also would not want to see anyone relive the horror of those few weeks before Christmas and into early January because of an email being sent out.  EDITED TO ADD:  the biopsies showed nothing because the samples were taken around the areas that had cancer cells.  Had I not persisted, it would have been discovered too late.

Pretty horrific experience.  Glad you persisted, and I hope that things are better for you.

• Like 2

Has anyone used one of the meal delivery services? What did you think?

I gave a gift certificate to my sister and after browsing through the various sites while shopping for her, I got suckered into ordering a week for myself.

They send all the meals at once and when the package arrived, I unpacked it and lost all enthusiasm. It's just me so their minimum 2-person, 3 meal plan would have been 6 meals. I ended up giving it away.

My sister liked hers well enough that she tried to recreate one of the dishes from the recipe card they provide, but she said it didn't turn out as good. She and her husband both like to cook but neither of them wanted to deal with it again, either.

Too much pressure to cook and eat everything before it spoils!

• Like 3

Did my first online grocery order for pick up today.  I'm under the weather and hubs isn't driving, we needed some things so I was glad it was available.  List was about 35 items, two were "out of stock", and one they gave me the wrong product.  I called to see if they would do an exchange curbside, and the phone rep acted like I wanted her to wash my car.  She said I would he to come in and exchange, because among other things, "I don't know if it's the same price, I would need to run your card...".  I was PO'd.  I explained to her that I was ill, which was the impetus for the online order to begin with, and she wasn't hearing it.  It couldn't have been much easier for her to facilitate all of the above, but she either wasn't capable or wasn't willing.  Had it been an item that I absolutely had to have today or tomorrow, I would have made a real pest of myself over it.

Here Lies Customer Service / RIP

• Like 5

1 hour ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I almost gasped when I saw this beautiful image.

Photo: George Benjamin

polar bear.jpg

I highly recommend  Rare: Creatures of the Photo Ark, a 3 part PBS series about National Geographic photographer Joel Sartore and his quest to photograph the rare species in human care before they disappear.  The pictures are absolutely stunning.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

1 hour ago, 2727 said:

Has anyone used one of the meal delivery services? What did you think?

I gave a gift certificate to my sister and after browsing through the various sites while shopping for her, I got suckered into ordering a week for myself.

They send all the meals at once and when the package arrived, I unpacked it and lost all enthusiasm. It's just me so their minimum 2-person, 3 meal plan would have been 6 meals. I ended up giving it away.

My sister liked hers well enough that she tried to recreate one of the dishes from the recipe card they provide, but she said it didn't turn out as good. She and her husband both like to cook but neither of them wanted to deal with it again, either.

Too much pressure to cook and eat everything before it spoils!

We did a Hello Fresh for about 6 months.  Even for two of us, we sometimes didn't get to the meals in time for optimum freshness.  I liked having everything provided for me, trying some new recipes, and learning some new techniques.  In the end, there was too much pan frying involved, which smoked up my kitchen (setting off the smoke detector several times), and we weren't sure pan frying  was the healthiest alternative for us.  But it was fun to try!

• Like 6

11 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Here Lies Customer Service / RIP

Funny, a friend and I were just talking about this. She tried returning a last chance item to Macy’s and was told no it was over 30 days. My friend said she wasn’t told that and the response was that it’s on the bottom of the receipt. The sales people should point that out before you have completed a purchase. Macy’s stores are just run-down trash these days and closing left and right. Maybe a little customer service would help that. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Ladyrain said:

Hello to all.   I have a serious issue to talk about and I'm hoping with all my heart that someone here can help.    I have a dear "friend" from this board who has gone missing and if anyone here has any information, it would be greatly appreciated.   Her name here is PearlClutcher  and she has been missing for over a month.   Her last post was January 27th.   She and her husband had sold their home in TN,  bought a recreational RV and were touring the country, at last count were at an RV park in Alabama for the winter.   My PMs to her have not been answered, which is VERY concerning.   Please, if anyone can at least tell me if she, her husband and her son (who's been through a lot himself) are alright, I would be so grateful.   ---   I know we all treasure our anonymity here, but at times like this, it's difficult.   She's just dropped off the radar here (and from another site) and I'm beside myself with worry.   Thank you for listening.

I don't have any direct info, but I know that since they went full-time in the RV, her posting has been sporadic and spread out.  She mentioned that they don't always have a good wi-fi signal or something like that.  I didn't think it had been too awful long since I saw something from her, but don't remember for certain.

I'll bet she's fine, and just taking a break from the madness, lol.

Edit - I checked her profile, and it appears that she made a post on Feb. 12.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Ladyrain said:

Hello to all.   I have a serious issue to talk about and I'm hoping with all my heart that someone here can help.    I have a dear "friend" from this board who has gone missing and if anyone here has any information, it would be greatly appreciated.   Her name here is PearlClutcher  and she has been missing for over a month.   Her last post was January 27th.   She and her husband had sold their home in TN,  bought a recreational RV and were touring the country, at last count were at an RV park in Alabama for the winter.   My PMs to her have not been answered, which is VERY concerning.   Please, if anyone can at least tell me if she, her husband and her son (who's been through a lot himself) are alright, I would be so grateful.   ---   I know we all treasure our anonymity here, but at times like this, it's difficult.   She's just dropped off the radar here (and from another site) and I'm beside myself with worry.   Thank you for listening.

Hi, LadyRain

I'm sorry that I have nothing to add. I, too, have noticed Pearl Clutcher's prolonged absence and hope she is ok.  I also miss and wonder about Denver Hoosier and Down The Shore. 

I hope that are all well and maybe just taking a break.  Hopefully they will all be back in touch soon. 

Edited by imisspuddy · Reason: Missing lots of old regulars here....
  • Like 3

I did try to pm DTS but it wouldn't go when I hit send.  Don't know what I did wrong.  I will try again though.

• Like 3