SilverStormm

Small Talk: Take A Break From Shop(ping) Talk

12 hours ago, DownTheShore said:

/rant/

This occurred Friday night:

• Stopped at Panera on way home, ordered 2 salads with grilled chicken - checked order - no chicken included - backed up to drive-thru window to get order corrected
  • Drive for 45 minutes
  • Stopped at Bank A ATM drive-thru  to deposit check - ATM reads check, I confirm amount, then ATM spits out the check and won't accept it (check is from another account in the same bank and normally is accepted)
  • Try again - same result
  • Go to walk-up ATM at same bank location - same results, unable to deposit check 
  • Note: Nothing physically wrong with check, it is legible, and there is more than enough money in issuer's acct to cover it
  • Drive to location #2 of Bank A, several towns away, able to go to walk-up ATM to cash it and withdraw money
  • Drive to Bank B (again several towns away) to deposit money in the low-balance checking acct that my QVC EZ Pay pmts are drawn on
  • Deposit cash (issued by Bank A) at drive-thru ATM - machine accepts bills, makes a whirring sound - a message pops up on the screen that some of the bills are unacceptable - then the screen shifts to the generic welcome screen and my card is spit out - my cash is not returned and no receipt is issued - I stare at the machine in disbelief 
  • I put my card back in and do a balance check and get it printed (so printer DOES work) - Nope, no increase in my balance to reflect deposit inclusion
  • While looking at the screen I see it change to an Out of Order notice
  • Click on my warning flashers and park my car in front of that ATM and call Bank B's customer service - of course then someone pulls behind, waiting their turn at the ATM, paying absolutely no attention to the possibility that there might be a reason why a car is parked with its flashers on

I did manage to talk to nice people at Bank B's customer service and a claim was put in. The lady said that my call was the second complaint about that ATM that week. It should take 2-3 business days to correct, and if Q charges hit and the account is overdrawn, I was told that any fees would be waived.

What a kerfluffle about actions that are normally unremarkable! And all I wanted to do was get home because my back has been killing me today.😡

/end rant/

I feel your pain about remote banking. My husband tried to deposit some cash in an ATM on a Sunday night. The machine took the money, but then showed an error message, "there was a problem with this transaction." He couldn't get the money to come back out and it wasn't credited to his account. He went in person to the bank the next day and they said sorry, we outsource the ATMs to a third party company, and you have to call them to get your deposit fixed. So he called that company and they said no, it's the bank's responsibility to credit your deposit. He had to bounce back and forth between the two for about a week to get his deposit credited. It was infuriating.

• Like 3
  • Surprise 1
  • Sad 1

I have never used an ATM for any transaction outside of obtaining cash.  It's not that I'm old and inflexible, I'm just a magnet for Murphy's Law.  Based on what I'm reading here, I see no reason to change my ATM habits, lol.

• Like 6
  • Laugh 2

Watching The Bodyguard on VH-1.  Awful movie, but that soundtrack!  Makes me once again so angry with Whitney for robbing us of that incredible talent.  I know, selfish.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I have never used an ATM for any transaction outside of obtaining cash.  It's not that I'm old and inflexible, I'm just a magnet for Murphy's Law.  Based on what I'm reading here, I see no reason to change my ATM habits, lol.

no the idea of sending cash into a maw where once its' gone, there is NO recourse if there is an issue, is not a good idea.  I am cool with mobile banking of a check as I have the actual check if there is a problem, but cold cash, nother thing 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TexasTiffany said:

Sorry that happened to you. 

I feel like sharing - 

Last week when I got to work, our only previously working elevator was not working. It took me 25 minutes to walk to work in the 30 degree cold, the rain, the gusting wind. I was wearing my long warmest coat (which is very heavy), my rain poncho, my umbrella, my tote bag carrying my sweater and lunch, and my purse. I then had to walk up the equivalent of 3-1/2 flights of stairs in a hurry to not be late. I barely made it and was exhausted. I should have called out and stayed home.

I made my way to my work area and tried to revive myself. There's an awful stench. The cold had made the rats seek shelter in the building and some had died. Customers were complaining to me as if I had control over the problem. I didn't like the smell either. They could leave and get away. I couldn't leave for hours. I should have stayed home. 

A couple in their 40's needed help. They bought a Calvin Klein coat for their daughter. They don't like the zipper. Okay, I can give them their money back, help them find something else, etc. Nope. They wanted me to get THE manager of the store to call the Calvin Klein company to complain about the zipper AND get us to pay for a new zipper to be sewn in their cheap ass coat. They continued... there was nothing wrong with the zipper, but they wanted something more expensive looking.  Um... #&%@!

Their unreasonable expectation had me pondering my life for the next 3 seconds while I tried to figure out the best way to handle it. I can't think of any store in the world that would say yes to their request. Yet, they thought they were reasonable. Spending a few minutes talking to them calmly I was able to diffuse the situation for them, but I felt like finding a safe place to go scream. I should have stayed home. <-this has been my mantra as of late

Oh @TexasTiffany, that sounds like a HORRID day!  Couldn't your employer be in trouble for not having the elevator working?  Your walk to work in those conditions would have done me in!  

And then to have a customer with such outrageous expectations!  You are good at your job if you could maintain your composure, stay calm, and defuse the situation.  Here's a heart ❤️ from me to say thank you!  

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Oh @TexasTiffany, that sounds like a HORRID day!  Couldn't your employer be in trouble for not having the elevator working?  Your walk to work in those conditions would have done me in!  

And then to have a customer with such outrageous expectations!  You are good at your job if you could maintain your composure, stay calm, and defuse the situation.  Here's a heart ❤️ from me to say thank you!  

Thanks for the heart!

The 1 elevator was fixed a couple days later. We were told the stairs are always available to us workers. Nice, huh? 

• Like 4
  • Surprise 1

45 minutes ago, TexasTiffany said:

Thanks for the heart!

The 1 elevator was fixed a couple days later. We were told the stairs are always available to us workers. Nice, huh? 

elevators give me the creeps and I will always use stairs as an option but I think I am the outlier there 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, DownTheShore said:

Just something I enjoyed 😊:

Thanks, that was great !!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, hummingbird said:

Cartoon+of+the+Day-Valentine%2527s+Day.g

#Truth

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Someone is a dirty girl! 

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Like 5

I just happened to stumble across this but can’t figure out what “category” the shopping channels are in. I don’t think I like this new format. Nothing is alphabetized so there’s way too much scrolling!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gam2 said:

I just happened to stumble across this but can’t figure out what “category” the shopping channels are in. I don’t think I like this new format. Nothing is alphabetized so there’s way too much scrolling!

they are in genre 

Beyond TV Shows 

Other TV Talk 

Genre Talk 

Shopping Channel Shows 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, hummingbird said:

they are in genre 

Beyond TV Shows 

Other TV Talk 

Genre Talk 

Shopping Channel Shows 

QVC should be listed under Talk Show since that is what they are trying to fool us into thinking.

• Like 5
  • Laugh 3
  • Sad 1

Thank you, hummingbird. I used to be able to easily quote another posting but now this new format won’t allow me to do that. I really don’t know why it was changed at all as I don’t see this change as “progress” but hey, whatever.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Gam2 said:

Thank you, hummingbird. I used to be able to easily quote another posting but now this new format won’t allow me to do that. I really don’t know why it was changed at all as I don’t see this change as “progress” but hey, whatever.

Do you see the little quote marks at the bottom of a post?  Click on the single " to quote one post; click on "+ to quote more than one.  The quote will show up down below in a response box for you to add your comments.  HTH

• Like 2
  • Useful 3

15 minutes ago, Gam2 said:

save the main link. "shopping channels" in your browser faves 

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

My friend called yesterday to tell me she suffered a second stroke.  This one was mild but the doctor told her to avoid stress at all costs as her blood pressure doesn't seem to be responding well to medication.  She's back at the home here in Florida, not far from where I live, that she shares with another daughter.  To lift her spirits and not have her worry about me, I told a white lie that I was juggling some job prospects and would choose one very soon.  She was thrilled to hear this.  We were on the phone for nearly a half hour, catching up on our lives, gossip, politics, and whatnot.  She told me she loved me and I said the same.  

• Like 7

Glad to hear that your friend got in touch with you.  Sounds like she is pretty sick and is preoccupied with that. I hope she gets better.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Interesting.  Wonder if Soma bras fit/size matches other mfgrs.  Anyone have experience with this brand?

soma-smart-bra

I have bought a couple they are pretty good. 

They d c the one I loved and I moved on 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, hummingbird said:

Don't ya HATE when that happens 🤬 I still remember an Olga bra that I loved years ago.  Never did find one that replaced it....so I've been braless since 🤣🤣🤣 

• Like 6
  • Laugh 3

45 minutes ago, hummingbird said:

Did you find their sizing to be consistent with other brands?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Basically but I think how a bra fits varies so much between styles so it’s hard to say

no way I could order that size and be sure it would work across different brands  KWIM

i take a small size large cup so I can’t go to kolhs or Marshalls and buy something 

• Like 4

Just now, hummingbird said:

Basically but I think how a bra fits varies so much between styles so it’s hard to say

no way I could order that size and be sure it would work across different brands  KWIM

i take a small size large cup so I can’t go to kolhs or Marshalls and buy something 

I have the opposite problem.  I have an above average circumference, so naturally, it is assumed that I need a double KK cup size.  I don't.

• Like 2

I haven’t personally tried their bras, but I know women who swear by Third Love bras (www.thirdlove.com). They have a huge range of sizes. I recently read an article about Victoria’s Secret losing market share, and Third Love was mentioned as a rising star in the product category and one of the companies that is gaining market share rapidly.

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I am weird - I buy all new bras every January.  My go-to is a Bali style that I have worn for years.  Before that I wore Le Mystere - the Dream Tisha.  I got tired of spending so much on a bra (even though the Le Mystere brand fit me better than any bra ever has!), so that's why I went to Bali.  For a time, I got my bras at Soma.....all I can say is that their bras are no better or worse than the Bali.

Sizing is NOT consistent from brand to brand or even with different styles within any given brand.  At least I have found that to be the case.  I've read somewhere that most women wear the wrong size.......I had the right size but maybe the wrong bra!  I liked Soma because you could go in the store, be fitted, and they would get different bras for you to try on instead of you getting dressed and undressed to go get different styles.  Once I knew the style and size, I'd order them online.  Soma discontinued my bra, so that is why I went back to my Bali.

I would not try a new brand by shopping online.....I would always go in a store and try it on first.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

3 hours ago, AnnaCody said:

I still remember an Olga bra that I loved years ago.  Never did find one that replaced it....so I've been braless since

Dude, I clung to my Bali Snowflake model long after seamed bullet cups went out of fashion.

(Not sure who's buying vintage bras on Etsy, but thanks for the image.)

bra.JPG

• Like 5
  • Laugh 2

13 minutes ago, 2727 said:

Dude, I clung to my Bali Snowflake model long after seamed bullet cups went out of fashion.

(Not sure who's buying vintage bras on Etsy, but thanks for the image.)

bra.JPG

LOL!!  I do wonder about seamed bras, when so many tops are smooth and show everything underneath.  (Breezies even offers the seamed bras!)  

• Like 4

I too am a small band, large cup gal. I wear Wacoal because I know they will always fit. I buy them on Amazon. Whatever style is cheapest.

• Like 6

One of my biggest frustrations with bras, now that I'm older and the girls aren't as perky, is the cup shape doesn't match my shape.  The cup of the bra seems so large, like in diameter I guess, and I don't have the tissue to fill it, therefore the top 1/3 or 1/2 sort of collapses.  I guess I'm going to have to go to a fitter, though the idea makes me squeem.  I'm super modest, and I hate the thought of it.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

One of my biggest frustrations with bras, now that I'm older and the girls aren't as perky, is the cup shape doesn't match my shape.  The cup of the bra seems so large, like in diameter I guess, and I don't have the tissue to fill it, therefore the top 1/3 or 1/2 sort of collapses.  I guess I'm going to have to go to a fitter, though the idea makes me squeem.  I'm super modest, and I hate the thought of it.

What you're describing sounds like you don't have the right bra size! 

Check this out from Third Love - after reading their website, I probably would give them a whirl without trying a new bra style on first, especially if I was super modest about getting help:

https://www.thirdlove.com/pages/fit-issues-solutions

I like that they have 1/2 sizes!  My mom used to have to take her bras to a seamstress and have them altered because she was in between sizes!

There's nothing better than wearing the right bra - your clothing fits and looks better and, more importantly, you feel better about yourself.

Good luck in your search!

• Like 4
  • Useful 2

Just now, lovemesomejoolery said:

What you're describing sounds like you don't have the right bra size! 

Check this out from Third Love - after reading their website, I probably would give them a whirl without trying a new bra style on first, especially if I was super modest about getting help:

https://www.thirdlove.com/pages/fit-issues-solutions

I like that they have 1/2 sizes!  My mom used to have to take her bras to a seamstress and have them altered because she was in between sizes!

There's nothing better than wearing the right bra - your clothing fits and looks better and, more importantly, you feel better about yourself.

Good luck in your search!

Thanks.  I know you're right, and I've known that I'm probably not wearing the proper size, but some I spill out of and others collapse.  So weird, lol.  

Appreciate your feedback!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Booney said:

I haven’t personally tried their bras, but I know women who swear by Third Love bras (www.thirdlove.com). They have a huge range of sizes. I recently read an article about Victoria’s Secret losing market share, and Third Love was mentioned as a rising star in the product category and one of the companies that is gaining market share rapidly.

I hear Third Love's commercials all the time on the radio and have never checked them out until this morning!  I like what I saw!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

have you never done that? they won't see you without a bra on or stay in the room while you change if that's a concern.  

just go it's worth doing if you find a good one, and can save you time 

• Like 4

I loved the Rachel bra from Soma and the same from Natori but it was d/c and found some on Zappos and now they will need to be replaced.

found a good one from S Perele but they aren't cheap but they fit ,  I like FULL coverage and that's hard to find in 32 

at a certain age there are things I won't pay less for and this is one of them 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, hummingbird said:

I loved the Rachel bra from Soma and the same from Natori but it was d/c and found some on Zappos and now they will need to be replaced.

found a good one from S Perele but they aren't cheap but they fit ,  I like FULL coverage and that's hard to find in 32 

That's the one I wore from Soma, the Rachel T-Shirt bra!  I think they tried to push me into their Embraceable bra and it just didn't fit the same, so back to Bali I went.   

• Like 5

1 hour ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

That's the one I wore from Soma, the Rachel T-Shirt bra!  I think they tried to push me into their Embraceable bra and it just didn't fit the same, so back to Bali I went.   

I know it wasn't the same at all,  😥

• Like 3

Bras-- I have worn about every name- and I swear about 10 years ago found the ultimate for me. It was a playtex and I stocked up on it like it was goin' out of syle and yes it did. It's been discontinued for about 3 or 4 years now. I swear because I bought so many, they have been lasting. I absolutely dread having to try to find new bras.

I have tried and been ok but did not love Bali, Olga (better for me than Bali) Maidenform, Wacoal (not all it is priced up to be in my experience)....I have tried even on ebay and such but my dream one is just not available. I even wrote to Playtex asking for what would be the best replacement and they did write back but whatever they suggested was not as good.

I may have to look at Thirdlove. Because you know, these bras have really been lasting but I can't expect much more out of them. ( I machine wash and hang dry).

• Like 5

5 hours ago, hummingbird said:

Good for you.

I went the opposite way and now just buy those stretchy sleep/leisure bras. Does the thing keep my breasts from swaying and jiggling? Sold!

• Like 6

I recommend Warner's Cloud 9 wirefree Contour Bra. Very comfortable and available on Amazon.

Edited by sauce62
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, mayvenne said:

Bras-- I have worn about every name- and I swear about 10 years ago found the ultimate for me. It was a playtex and I stocked up on it like it was goin' out of syle and yes it did. It's been discontinued for about 3 or 4 years now. I swear because I bought so many, they have been lasting. I absolutely dread having to try to find new bras.

I have tried and been ok but did not love Bali, Olga (better for me than Bali) Maidenform, Wacoal (not all it is priced up to be in my experience)....I have tried even on ebay and such but my dream one is just not available. I even wrote to Playtex asking for what would be the best replacement and they did write back but whatever they suggested was not as good.

I may have to look at Thirdlove. Because you know, these bras have really been lasting but I can't expect much more out of them. ( I machine wash and hang dry).

I checked out the Thirdlove website and I took their test to determine which bra would suit me. The bra looked good, butI’m not prepared to spend 68.00 at this time. Maybe in the future.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, sauce62 said:

I recommend Warner's Cloud 9 wirefree Contour Bra. Very comfortable and available on Amazon.

I'm also a fan of a Warner's Bra - the No Side Effects Underwire bra. I was a Le Mystere wearer, and also Wacoal, but got tired of paying the high prices, which seemed to increase all the time. This Warner's bra works well for me, and comes in a ton of colors.

• Like 5

A good bra fitter is worth their weight in gold. @SuprSuprElevated It's like getting a mammogram without the pain; they've seen them all. 

Edited by LeeDenny
  • Like 5
  • Useful 1

My problem with bras is the pain. I cannot tolerate the pain on the back of my ribcage. I have tried everything. I have resorted to wearing the skinnytess with dark colored tops.

• Like 3