SilverStormm

Small Talk: Take A Break From Shop(ping) Talk

On Saturdays I escape with the Law and Order SVU Marathon on ION TV.  It's depressing,  but oddly reassuring and I've seen most episodes.  Someone told me that every episode, someone tells Olivia she looks hot or looks good....I pay attention for that....usually it occurs, but not enuf for a drinking game.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Lady J said:

Stop it ! Now I want cheese puffs, and I can’t have them. So jealous. ☹️

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that.  I get the Cheetos Simply White Cheddar version, relatively healthy, no glutens, simple ingredients.  Can you eat those? 

16 hours ago, Coffeecup said:

BronxBabe, I was worn out this afternoon and was on the sofa trying to take a snooze when I decided to turn on TMC for congenial background noise. Of course I got hooked by "The Two Mrs. Carrolls." When homicidal Bogart was breaking down Stanwyck's door and she just kept pacing back and forth looking terrified, I started yelling at the TV. "Get the gun! You ninny, your friend gave you a gun and you've got it right there on the bed! Quit sniveling and GIT IT GIT IT GIT IT!"

LOL

What @DownTheShore replied.

Edited by Bronx Babe
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, DownTheShore said:

I think that I mentioned in one of the threads here in December that a gland in my neck had gotten swollen and painful. It turned out to be in the parotid gland, which is a salivary gland. The MRI found a "cystic lesion" 😱 so I had to have an interventional radiologic biopsy done. I just  got the results today: negative for cancer or lymphoma - yaaaaay! 🎉

I have to admit I was scared. Three out of the last four years I've either been in the hospital or having a surgical procedure done in Jan/Feb, and I'm getting gun-shy about those months now. But it's just a plain cyst deep in the gland, which they drained as much as possible during the biopsy. I'll get it rechecked in 6 months.

🎼...Oh, happy day..🎵

😁

DTS, I feel very bad you are going through these health crises.  

Relieved that this latest challenge turned out to be good news.

Sending all my healing thoughts your way.

16 hours ago, 2727 said:

It's on tonight! Thanks for the reminder!  ;-)

As someone who used to browse dermatology textbooks in the library, I'm a fan.

Eeeek!!!

More power to you, lol.

Blankety-blank merge

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Bronx Babe said:

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that.  I get the Cheetos Simply White Cheddar version, relatively healthy, no glutens, simple ingredients.  Can you eat those? 

LOL

What @DownTheShore replied.

No dammit, it’s the @#$&* salt.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lady J said:

No dammit, it’s the @#$&* salt.

Yeah, salt is always a problem, even the so-called "low" sodium products.  Still too high for so many people.   I try to watch myself in this area but it's difficult sometimes.   

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Bronx Babe said:

Yeah, salt is always a problem, even the so-called "low" sodium products.  Still too high for so many people.   I try to watch myself in this area but it's difficult sometimes.   

It is one of the hardest things I’ve ever done “ diet wise .” Food just tastes better salted, period.

• Like 4

Taste buds deteriorate as we age. Sweet and Salt become favorites and acute.

My 97 year old father favors potatochips and cheese puffs.  The visiting nurse said at his age, let him enjoy it.  We agreed.

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, JohnnyStar5 said:

Taste buds deteriorate as we age. Sweet and Salt become favorites and acute.

My 97 year old father favors potatochips and cheese puffs.  The visiting nurse said at his age, let him enjoy it.  We agreed.

Great, if I make it to 97, let the good times roll ! 

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Bronx Babe said:

DTS, I feel very bad you are going through these health crises.  

Relieved that this latest challenge turned out to be good news.

Sending all my healing thoughts your way.

Thanks, to you and to everyone who posted kind words. 😊

I figure that one positive of all this stuff is that the majority of my body has now been scanned by MRI, CT, Ultrasound, Dopppler, and X-Ray. The things that turned up have been fixed.

Akin to plugging in one of those car diagnostic doodads, I suppose. 😁

Edited by DownTheShore
  • Like 9

Down the shore I feel with you  I'm glad everything turnt out  ok my prayers are with you 💐Margarete

Edited by Alte Frau · Reason: Finger slips
  • Like 4

Down the shore I feel the same way everything  was scant x Rayt shuffelt

around had to go back in yesterday  morning for back x Ray nothing Brocken muscle poll so bad can hardly walk pain NR 9

• Like 6

56 minutes ago, Alte Frau said:

Down the shore I feel the same way everything  was scant x Rayt shuffelt

around had to go back in yesterday  morning for back x Ray nothing Brocken muscle poll so bad can hardly walk pain NR 9

Sorry about your troubles.  Hope things start looking up soon~

• Like 3

20 hours ago, DownTheShore said:

Thanks, to you and to everyone who posted kind words. 😊

I figure that one positive of all this stuff is that the majority of my body has now been scanned by MRI, CT, Ultrasound, Dopppler, and X-Ray. The things that turned up have been fixed.

Akin to plugging in one of those car diagnostic doodads, I suppose. 😁

Hey, you Jersey girls are tough!

• Like 4

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 1:33 PM, Lady J said:

It is one of the hardest things I’ve ever done “ diet wise .” Food just tastes better salted, period.

Oh I know and I sympathize.  I once tried going on a salt-free diet several years ago but couldn't sustain it.  I usually always get the low-sodium versions of my favorite foods.  Not ideal but better than no taste at all.

I can't live without sugar either.  I don't go overboard since diabetes runs in my family but I don't shy away from three teaspoons in my morning coffee.  Got to have it!  If I want to stay up late and binge on old movies I'll have another cup with the three teaspoons.   I tried cold turkey once and almost lost my mind, lol.

• Like 5

Channel surfing this afternoon with all 1,375 channels and I land on something called FYI Network, with the show "Parking Wars".  For some reason I can't turn away, God help me.  It is strangely soothing.  Blue-collar types (this is generous) arguing and swearing at the Parking Authority officers.  "Sir, you can eat that ticket with hot sauce, but it already went through"  Response:  "F---K YOU BITCH!"  

And here I was talking about longing for yesterday with the three channels.

I chalk it up to wanting to be distracted by anything other than the clown show that's around us right now and I'm not talking about QVC.

Edited by Bronx Babe
  • Like 9

Parking Wars was around for a few seasons, airing originally on A&E I believe.  I watched so many cycles, I could probably recite each episode's dialog from memory.  Pretty sure it is no longer in production.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Parking Wars was around for a few seasons, airing originally on A&E I believe.  I watched so many cycles, I could probably recite each episode's dialog from memory.  Pretty sure it is no longer in production.

Had no idea this reality show was on for that long.

• Like 2

Forged in Fire is my weakness. I will watch marathons of it even though I am not a weapons collector, and only know generalities about them. Don't even have a crush on any of the guys. I also don't watch slasher movies. I think it's the creativity and skill shown; it's just another type of crafts show, lol. 

🌃🌃🌃🌃🌃🌃

I hope your back starts to feel better soon, @Alte Frau

• Like 4

Idk what the deal is with Amazon but I just got a pair of genuine ( direct from Amazon, not shady third party lol) suede CK boots for $30 that are currently $174 and change at Nordstrom's and $124 at Macy's, $186 at CK.com and so onI own these boots in another color ( got them direct from Calvin Klein for under $100 around Black Friday)

I noticed other sizes/colors have dramatically varying prices on Amazon. Amazon is just so weird but so good LOL.

THIRTY dollars. I am absolutely mind blown. This happened with some Corso Como booties a few years back. Got an amazing deal on them.

giphy.gif

Edited by SnowDazed
  • Like 7

I guess this article explains it

https://splinternews.com/how-to-not-get-screwed-on-amazon-1793862519

excerpt:

Three months ago on Amazon, a pair of two-toned Wolverine oxfords sold for $160. Last month, I snagged them for a mere $12.54, even though they still retailed for $70-plus on competing discount sites. Had I waited until last weekend to buy them, I could have saved another $2. But if I had waited any longer, they would have gone back up, to $28.06. In suede, my new shoes' price fluctuations were even more erratic, wavering up and down by more than 20% every few days.

You may not not realize it, but shopping on Amazon is more like playing the stock market than shopping at your local big box store. Prices don’t just change with the season or when something goes on sale. They fluctuate as often as every 15 minutes.

Edited by SnowDazed
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, SnowDazed said:

I guess this article explains it

https://splinternews.com/how-to-not-get-screwed-on-amazon-1793862519

excerpt:

Three months ago on Amazon, a pair of two-toned Wolverine oxfords sold for $160. Last month, I snagged them for a mere $12.54, even though they still retailed for $70-plus on competing discount sites. Had I waited until last weekend to buy them, I could have saved another $2. But if I had waited any longer, they would have gone back up, to $28.06. In suede, my new shoes' price fluctuations were even more erratic, wavering up and down by more than 20% every few days.

You may not not realize it, but shopping on Amazon is more like playing the stock market than shopping at your local big box store. Prices don’t just change with the season or when something goes on sale. They fluctuate as often as every 15 minutes.

I had this happen with cereal/dessert bowls to my china set. I was missing some bowls, comparison shopped, and Amazon was 50% cheaper than anywhere else. I ordered four. A couple of days after they arrived, I decided to order a couple more. When I went to reorder, the price had increased by more than 50%! The bowls were actually cheaper, at that point, at Wayfair and BBBY with coupons. I’m waiting it out to see if the price drops again on Amazon.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Booney said:

I had this happen with cereal/dessert bowls to my china set. I was missing some bowls, comparison shopped, and Amazon was 50% cheaper than anywhere else. I ordered four. A couple of days after they arrived, I decided to order a couple more. When I went to reorder, the price had increased by more than 50%! The bowls were actually cheaper, at that point, at Wayfair and BBBY with coupons. I’m waiting it out to see if the price drops again on Amazon.

try camel camel camel

you can keep track of anything Amz sells and they will alert you to prices drops 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, hummingbird said:

try camel camel camel

you can keep track of anything Amz sells and they will alert you to prices drops 

You beat me to it!  I was just typing a post with this info!

And here's a great article about Amazon's use of algorithm based pricing.....I have dozens and dozens of articles saved, as I was part of a marketing workgroup within my company that formed to find out everything we could about Amazon.  If you want to win against a competitor, you have to understand them!  For my company, delivery, representation and surge pricing became the ticket to fight against them.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/amazon-surge-pricing-are-you-getting-ripped-off-small-business/

https://camelcamelcamel.com/

Edited by lovemesomejoolery
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, hummingbird said:

try camel camel camel

2 hours ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

You beat me to it!  I was just typing a post with this info!

And here's a great article about Amazon's use of algorithm based pricing.....I have dozens and dozens of articles saved, as I was part of a marketing workgroup within my company that formed to find out everything we could about Amazon.  If you want to win against a competitor, you have to understand them!  For my company, delivery, representation and surge pricing became the ticket to fight against them.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/amazon-surge-pricing-are-you-getting-ripped-off-small-business/

https://camelcamelcamel.com/

Thanks to both of you! I learned about camel camel camel a few days ago and am tracking the china bowls on it. It’s a great tool!

• Like 4

I use CCC and Keepa. I primarily use Keepa though because I get email notifications of price changes sooner then I do with CCC if I'm watching the same item using both.

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, Jaded said:

I use CCC and Keepa. I primarily use Keepa though because I get email notifications of price changes sooner then I do with CCC if I'm watching the same item using both.

Thanks for the info, @Jaded. I wasn’t aware of Keepa - I’m now signed up and tracking there too!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, SnowDazed said:

Idk what the deal is with Amazon but I just got a pair of genuine ( direct from Amazon, not shady third party lol) suede CK boots for $30 that are currently $174 and change at Nordstrom's and $124 at Macy's, $186 at CK.com and so onI own these boots in another color ( got them direct from Calvin Klein for under $100 around Black Friday)

I noticed other sizes/colors have dramatically varying prices on Amazon. Amazon is just so weird but so good LOL.

THIRTY dollars. I am absolutely mind blown. This happened with some Corso Como booties a few years back. Got an amazing deal on them.

giphy.gif

Me too....not boots, lucky you but an all-in-one printer.  Mine died so had to get a new one ASAP.  $60....I vaguely thought "wow, good price".  Went back later to read more of the reviews and it is now $120!!!!  Yes, that is 

Blow my mind.jpg

• Like 3

i liked CCC because you can see how the price changes over the past year, 

meh,  they change prices on a daily/hourly basis doesn't bother me that much although some rather bristle at this 

Edited by hummingbird · Reason: left out a word
  • Like 2

I'm driving myself to a state of high anxiety by becoming suddenly fixated on salmonella and all forms of food poisoning.  So many recalls over the years and now, even more so.

Even cold cereals aren't safe.

I need to go grocery shopping tomorrow and am terrified.  Now I'm afraid to purchase Kellogg's Special K cereal, Frosted Mini-Wheats, Honey Nut Cheerios, and Grape-Nuts, all my favorites.  Also cottage cheese, trail mix, yogurt, eclairs (the cream filling), protein bars, hell just about EVERYTHING.

How do I calm down about all this?  

• Like 4

Get popcorn?

Seriously, I don't know what to advise. It's terrible when we can't trust food to be safe. I've had food poisoning, awful experience until you get it all out of your system.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Coffeecup said:

Get popcorn?

Seriously, I don't know what to advise. It's terrible when we can't trust food to be safe. I've had food poisoning, awful experience until you get it all out of your system.

I do eat popcorn; it's a favorite snack along with cheese puffs and tortilla chips.

Due to generalized anxiety issues (heightened even more these days) I sometimes develop stomach distress which makes me even more nervous because I tend to think it's really food poisoning, which I've never had.  

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Bronx Babe said:

I'm driving myself to a state of high anxiety by becoming suddenly fixated on salmonella and all forms of food poisoning.  So many recalls over the years and now, even more so.

Even cold cereals aren't safe.

I need to go grocery shopping tomorrow and am terrified.  Now I'm afraid to purchase Kellogg's Special K cereal, Frosted Mini-Wheats, Honey Nut Cheerios, and Grape-Nuts, all my favorites.  Also cottage cheese, trail mix, yogurt, eclairs (the cream filling), protein bars, hell just about EVERYTHING.

How do I calm down about all this?  

What???  I must have missed the warnings on a lot/most of those items.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Thumper said:

What???  I must have missed the warnings on a lot/most of those items.

Google "food recalls".  It will freak you out.

• Like 2

Omg, is anyone watching football ? Another overtime game, none of my teams so I was just hoping for good games. Officiating not so great.🏈🏈🏈

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Bronx Babe said:

I do eat popcorn; it's a favorite snack along with cheese puffs and tortilla chips.

Due to generalized anxiety issues (heightened even more these days) I sometimes develop stomach distress which makes me even more nervous because I tend to think it's really food poisoning, which I've never had.  

Trust me, you will know when you have food poisoning. It's when you find yourself sleeping next to the toilet.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LeeDenny said:

Trust me, you will know when you have food poisoning. It's when you find yourself sleeping next to the toilet.

Next to the toilet? I was practically sleeping ON it when I had food poisoning.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Lady J said:

Omg, is anyone watching football ? Another overtime game, none of my teams so I was just hoping for good games. Officiating not so great.🏈🏈🏈

Saints were totally robbed.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Bronx Babe said:

Yeah, one of the "joys" of anxiety is how the body can pick and choose what parts of you to get going in order to make you feel worse.  Food-related worries?  Time for the digestive system to act up.  Worried about your heart?  Here come the palpitations.  Sore back?  Well, let's think of all the things that could be wrong with you beyond stiff muscles.  The possibilities are endless.  And it sucks.

7 hours ago, Coffeecup said:

Next to the toilet? I was practically sleeping ON it when I had food poisoning.

Then there's the ultra-fun double feature when you're sitting on the commode while holding a garbage can.

Yes, you'll know when you've got it.  But statistically the odds of you getting it on any given day aren't that large.  Even then, a lot of times it lasts until everything is cleaned out of your system, and you likely will need to take it easy in the eating department for a while after.  Biggest thing is to stay hydrated, and it's a good idea to keep a stash of electrolytes (gatorade, pedialyte), clear soda, broth, and crackers around your house just in case.  That can help the anxiety since you know you'll be prepared in case you suddenly do get sick, whether it's from food poisoning or even just a cold.

• Like 6