Deputy Deputy CoS

Season 2 Wishlist

I just rewatched "Night"

Serena playing the victim when she saw the dress Offred wore to Jezebel. 

Taking Offred to watch her daughter who is heavily implied to be a Handsmaid in the making

Now the scene that inspired me create this thread? Serena fucking Joy putting together a baby basinet. I am mentally picturing a witch sharpening her claws ready to snatch away a poor innocent child from its only protector in this sorry mess of a society. 

I wish she never lays eyes on June's baby. Ever. Ever. Ever.

I also need her along with her husband to die in a fire set by Offred or the kind-hearted Martha.

Some Aunt Lydia suffering would be nice. I need to see her get her comeuppance sooner rather than later.

I prefer these to their backstories, personally.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Deputy Deputy CoS said:

Some Aunt Lydia suffering would be nice. I need to see her get her comeuppance sooner rather than later.

I agree. There were some comments after the Woman's Place episode that were sympathetic towards Aunt Lydia for the way she balked at Serena's request to remove the "damaged" handmaids, but let's never forget that she was the one who damaged them in the first place. Janine lost an eye just for mouthing off, Offred almost got electrocuted for quoting from the bible, etc.

• Like 2

I want to see the colonies.

I suppose it's too late to include the racism, although perhaps, as Gilead becomes more nuts, they could include that, as a "next step" in purification or something.

If they are going to show Canada, I want them to show the world reaction as well, center it in Canada, fine, we have two costars there now, but I want this world increased even more, we are completely out of Offred's POV, so why not?  Also, from the Canada location, we should learn more about the colonies as well, locations, what they do.  Which are nuke sites, which grow crops, and especially the resistance fighters still in the former USA.  Communication with Hawaii and Alaska maybe, as well as Europe, etc.

More than Aunt Lydia, I want to see the Commander and Serena Joy suffer, at least Lydia seems to believe this shit, obviously they don't.  Ideally, the Commander gets jailed or executed and Serena Joy, unlike other wife who played things well, becomes a Martha, or works for Lydia, or, even better, is sent to the Colonies, she's an unwoman after all, so why not? 

We've got enough POV's in the resistance now for the show, so I assume Offred will be sent back to the Commander's as a spy, to get enough dirt to bury him, and keep her in Gilead, rather than escaping to that cabin and making her tapes (yet.)

It should be interesting though, we should be in nearly uncharted waters book-wise, UNLESS they bring in the Colonies via Serena Joy or June's mother, or maybe even Alexis Bledel. 

Writing this, I realized I'm wishing for the things they left out of the show from the book, AND for the things the book (tapes) couldn't tell us, since it was first person POV.

I assume the Jezebel Clubs will be back, and perhaps even

Spoiler

the competitions

mentioned in the future book spoilers.  I'm not really looking forward to that, but I can't see the producers not wanting more T and A and 3 somes.

I don't know how many seasons they will try to keep this thing going, after all those Emmy's I have a feeling they will take their time on any kind of conclusions.

Edited by Umbelina
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, Umbelina said:

I don't know how many seasons they will try to keep this thing going, after all those Emmy's I have a feeling they will take their time on any kind of conclusions.

All I can say is that I hope (the same way I hope with anything that starts out really strong) they preserve some artistic integrity, and only keep going as long as they have a compelling story to tell. Stories, whether on TV or in books, that are initially highly successful all too often want to keep that going, but they end up subsisting on goodwill rather than good writing for far too long, and it just gets sad. So as long as they have a good, cohesive story they want to tell, I'm in for more. But as soon as it becomes clear that they're out of solid ideas and are just meandering around so we can keep hanging out in this world with these characters, I'm out.

• Like 4

I agree.  On the other hand she's writing another book, a sequel, so I'm going to assume they have more to work with now.  Some details in the spoiler thread if you are interested.  New book spoilers are tagged.

How did the movie handle the book ending anyway?  BTW, a voice over from future England?

• Like 1

On 10/15/2017 at 8:59 AM, Umbelina said:

Writing this, I realized I'm wishing for the things they left out of the show from the book, AND for the things the book (tapes) couldn't tell us, since it was first person POV.

Hide contents

I agree about the things left out of the book and expanding the world from a first person POV. They did it with Emily's storyline and it was one of the best arcs of the first season. Based on that, I have faith they will come up with compelling original stories.

Besides the sufferings of the perpetuators, I would also like to see the Martha network and the conception of Mayday. 

Also, clarity on Nick's involvement in both organizations. He appears to be playing both sides in self preservation but where does his loyalties really lie?

• Like 3