Drogo

S01.E10: Reality Check

3 hours ago, Lizzing said:

I really wish someone would have explained the gunshots that happened just after the machete mugging.

This! Did someone really get shot? Did Karine get her phone back out of the guys cold dead hands ? 

I did NOT miss Jesse and Darcy this week. At all.

I did laugh went Larry went in for the hug on Father Jenny and Father Jenny did the evasive move that Ellen Griswold does when Cousin Eddie goes in for the hug w. Her!! :-)

• Like 9

9 hours ago, AmyBre said:

<snip> And then with the roasted pig, he really messed it up.  Larry has no manners and no idea on social graces.   Couldn't he just taste the pig?<snip>

8 hours ago, CofCinci said:

<snip> Is there any chance Larry doesn’t eat pork for religious reasons and they edited it out?

7 hours ago, Meowwww said:

Larry says he doesn’t eat meat. <snip>

When that scene began, my first thought was Larry is vegan or vegetarian, which is fine but I can't understand why that important tidbit of information would not have been something he would have communicated to Jenny already. But as the scene progressed, it became apparent to me Larry's problem was one of being scared to eat food that in his mind might have not been prepared in "sanitary conditions" and/or concern the meat itself might have been infected with parasites.

I remember watching one of those "medical mystery" shows a couple years back in which a woman had become infected with a worm that was crawling around between her skull and her scalp; apparently she had become infected by eating a pork taco bought from a street vendor in Mexico when she was on vacation.

However, in the grand scheme of things, these kinds of issues are quite rare. That pork looked VERY well-cooked to me, and chances are, any parasites or bacteria that may have infected that pig - if it was infected at all - most likely have been killed in the high heat of the roasting process.

Larry went overboard with his paranoia. His shaking and sweating over the mere thought of eating the food on his plate was really over the top. When he said (paraphrasing) "I could get diarrhea!" I knew the issue had nothing to do with him being vegetarian/vegan or religious reasons, but simply a matter of him taking a look around the family compound and deciding eating any food prepared there couldn't be "safe." (@meowwww, I don't recall Larry saying he doesn't eat meat, but I could have missed it).

Did Larry have to gobble down every bit of pork on the plate? Absolutely not. But there are ways to get around having to do that without insulting the family that spent time and considerable money to honor you with a meal. He should have eaten some of what he was given, told everyone how delicious it was, and how much he appreciated being honored with such a wonderful meal. He then could have easily "begged off" from eating the rest of it: "I would love to devour this entire portion, and go back for seconds, but I've had some tummy problems the past few days - so until that clears up, I'm trying not to overwhelm my system with too much solid food. I can't thank you enough for taking the time to prepare such a wonderful meal in my honor."

Many years ago, I was invited to a friend's house for Thanksgiving dinner. I figured there might be issues when the mother proudly told me she had gotten up at 4:00 am to put the turkey in the oven (I know how to roast a bird, and based on the size of the turkey, that was way too early by several hours). The meal was served around 2-3 pm. Anticipating there might be an issue, before being served I told the mother I have a very small appetite and asked her to please just give me very small portions of each dish - and then asked if it would be okay if I had "seconds" if I was still hungry after finishing it. When the plate was put in front of me, I said "Wow, that looks wonderful! I hope I can finish it all!" (I actually do have a very small appetite, which my friend knew - this wouldn't have worked if, for example,  I was known to scarf down a pound of pasta at a time).

When I tried the turkey, it was SO dry I literally couldn't swallow it (never had I ever had that problem before). I chewed and chewed and chewed and chewed but it simply wouldn't go down.  Even with gravy on it and even with taking a drink while I had it in my mouth. I felt terrible. I finally cut it into tiny pieces and surreptitiously pushed them underneath the other things on my plate. When I had eaten everything else to a point at which eating more would reveal the hidden turkey, I pronounced myself "full" and took my plate to the kitchen to dispose of what was left on it. Nobody was the wiser.

Now, I understand there wasn't anything BUT pork on Larry's plate, so that method wouldn't have worked for him, but the point is there is always a way to get out of eating a lot of something you simply can't eat for whatever reason if you step outside of yourself for just a moment and try to see it from your host's point of view.

For someone who claimed he needed to (paraphrasing again) give Jenny's father a chance to know him and like him, Larry failed. What he did would be a major breach of etiquette anywhere in the world, including the United States!

• Like 13

11 hours ago, AmyBre said:

And then with the roasted pig, he really messed it up.  Larry has no manners and no idea on social graces.   Couldn't he just taste the pig?  I mean, he's been kissing that other pig (Jenny) why couldn't he eat part of the other pig?   They were right, that was highly disrespectful.   He works at a goddamned McDonalds, he's already eaten dog and cats.   Jenny should have also given Larry a heads up about the little feast they had planned for him and what was expected of him.

If I recall correctly, Larry is Jewish. So, no, he really couldn't have eaten any of the pig. And where do you get the bolded part from? McDonald's burgers are actually beef; highly processed beef, but they're still beef. So even if he eats at McDonald's, provided he's not having the McRib, then he's still not eating pork.

• Like 4

I have met the dumbest man in the US and his name is Larry.  Only Larry believes that Jenny really accidentally logged on to her filipinocupid.com account and then intelligently changed her story to say that SHE was investigating him.   Jenny is a genius and should be hired by NASA

The poverty of Jenny's family was heartbreaking.   and did Larry have to use that hand gesture of sticking one finger through the other one?

It reminded me of the same stupid gesture that Paul used to talk to Carine's father.

Larry is indeed an idiot. He cashes in his retirement to be there, but he won't eat that roasted pig. He certainly would have eaten McNuggets if they had laid those out.

When he was talking to producers, he had the dumbest, dumbest look on his face! He had NO CONCEPT of how offensive he was! He was every bit the stupid American. I thought, Jenny, you better get used to that.

Why couldn't he eat that pig? I'm sure he's eaten quite a few McRibs in his day. Maybe he only eats processed meat.

What an idiot.

I felt so bad for Jenny's family. That was not just offensive, but MEAN. They hadn't roasted a pig since Jenny was a kid. It was a slap in the face to everything they hold dear. Larry was too dumb to see it. 

What an idiot! I can't say that enough.

He's failing to win the heart of his dead-eyed girl... not that he ever would anyway.

I have a hunch that the notion of romantic love was killed in her before it had a chance to begin.

• Like 7

And then with the roasted pig, he really messed it up.  Larry has no manners and no idea on social graces.   Couldn't he just taste the pig?  I mean, he's been kissing that other pig (Jenny) why couldn't he eat part of the other pig?   They were right, that was highly disrespectful.  

that was so uncomfortable to watch....I felt so sad for her family for going all out ($$$$) to get that pig and Larry couldn't eat it.  Is Larry Jewish?  If so, that should have been stated while online.  If not, suck it up and eat it!!!  It's NOT an unusual dish...it's a roasted pig for crying out loud.  It's not like, say, somebody deep fried chicken feet and stood back to watch.  Everybody was chowin' down.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, MrSmith said:

If I recall correctly, Larry is Jewish.

I didn't realize that he was Jewish. He should have explained that instead of just sitting there with a stupid look on his face.

He had no idea of hurtful offense that he was causing by not eating that food.

He's pretty much selling his soul by marrying her in the first place so why not eat the pig? It's kind of like Mo and his halal meat.

I do get it though. He can't eat pork.

What a terrible situation! I felt so bad for Jenny and her family!

• Like 5

If Larry is Jewish, he shouldn’t be attacked for abstaining from pork.  I figure production paid for the pig roast to create this drama. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, CoachWristletJen said:

I didn't realize that he was Jewish. He should have explained that instead of just sitting there with a stupid look on his face.

He had no idea of hurtful offense that he was causing by not eating that food.

He's pretty much selling his soul by marrying her in the first place so why not eat the pig? It's kind of like Mo and his halal meat.

I do get it though. He can't eat pork.

What a terrible situation! I felt so bad for Jenny and her family!

I'm going to try to find a clip where he discussed that. I could swear it was in the first or second episode that he was in. Still, even being Jewish, I think I would have partaken of the pork because of the expense, effort, and consideration that went into getting it and turning it in that feast.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TwirlyGirly said:

When that scene began, my first thought was Larry is vegan or vegetarian, which is fine but I can't understand why that important tidbit of information would not have been something he would have communicated to Jenny already. But as the scene progressed, it became apparent to me Larry's problem was one of being scared to eat food that in his mind might have not been prepared in "sanitary conditions" and/or concern the meat itself might have been infected with parasites.

I remember watching one of those "medical mystery" shows a couple years back in which a woman had become infected with a worm that was crawling around between her skull and her scalp; apparently she had become infected by eating a pork taco bought from a street vendor in Mexico when she was on vacation.

However, in the grand scheme of things, these kinds of issues are quite rare. That pork looked VERY well-cooked to me, and chances are, any parasites or bacteria that may have infected that pig - if it was infected at all - most likely have been killed in the high heat of the roasting process.

Larry went overboard with his paranoia. His shaking and sweating over the mere thought of eating the food on his plate was really over the top. When he said (paraphrasing) "I could get diarrhea!" I knew the issue had nothing to do with him being vegetarian/vegan or religious reasons, but simply a matter of him taking a look around the family compound and deciding eating any food prepared there couldn't be "safe." (@meowwww, I don't recall Larry saying he doesn't eat meat, but I could have missed it).

You make some really good points here. I get that Larry is Jewish, but when he wasn't eating the meat, he didn't say anything about that. He talked about his intestines. I might be wrong here, but I got the impression that it was more about his physical wellbeing than his religious convictions.

And, he still didn't get that he was SO RUDE.

He's not a very bright man.

It was such a kick in the teeth to Jenny's poor family. And, Larry just didn't get it.

What's the learning curve like for this guy, anyway?

• Like 9

11 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

Patrick, you don’t go jogging shirtless in Paris.

I did wonder about this.  I was in Paris exactly once, for one day, so I really have no point of reference.  But I think if somebody had been jogging shirtless (hell, jogging at all!) I would have noticed.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CofCinci said:

Basically, Mariam has a distant boyfriend and she uses Patrick for emotional support and for when she is bored. 

I don't see how it can work between the two of them. She's not going to want to leave Paris for Kentucky. And, he's not going to be able to leave his child to go live in Paris.

• Like 7

11 hours ago, Mercolleen said:

Where did Karine get her new phone with her mom's number already in it? Hmmm ... 

Good point. Could the producers have loaned her a phone? 

We knew Paul was going to descend upon her again. He may know that she deserves better, but that's not going to stop him.

He's one sick pup.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Desert Rat said:

Patrick, if you want to woo a woman, leave your old ripped up clothes from Goodwill at home. 

OMG that shirt was horrendous.   I had headaches from my eye rolls.

9 hours ago, gavinmac said:

Jenny's furious face is a lot like her regular face.

LOL.  "resting bitch face."

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, MrSmith said:

If I recall correctly, Larry is Jewish. So, no, he really couldn't have eaten any of the pig. And where do you get the bolded part from? McDonald's burgers are actually beef; highly processed beef, but they're still beef. So even if he eats at McDonald's, provided he's not having the McRib, then he's still not eating pork.

I thought Larry was Italian-American?  Isn't his last name, Pileggi, or something similar?  I tried to do a Google but had no luck finding his surname.

If he's Jewish, then of course he shouldn't be criticized for refusing the lechon.  But for godssake, why not just say that?  Be gracious and grateful to your hosts, but explain that your religion prohibits the meat.

When he "spoke" with Jenny, he at no time mentioned his faith; and in his talking heads, he mentioned his avoidance of "exotic" foods and his concerns over intestinal distress. Nothing at all about a religious objection.

If it's true that Larry is Jewish, is he concealing that fact from Jen and her family?  Why?  Not a great way to start a marriage.

• Like 6

Paul says he's just glad nobody was hurt or killed. Already he's manipulating by minimizing the situation.

Then he says he can't forgive himself. Oh, please, save it, Paul! You just want her back in your bed.

This guy makes Mo look like a choir boy.

BTW, nice cross necklace.

• Like 10

32 minutes ago, MrSmith said:

Was his religion mentioned?  I don't recall that.  So that does make sense, however, is pretty relevant in life and SHOULD have already been known by Jenny.   BTW, agree about McDonalds.  

• Like 6

If I recall correctly, Larry is Jewish. So, no, he really couldn't have eaten any of the pig.

Do we have any evidence that Larry is indeed Jewish?  Because I’m pretty sure he “crossed himself” before eating the pork.  Also if he’s actually Jewish he should have mentioned it at the family dinner, or at least afterward to Jenny so that she’d understand his reasoning.  Can somebody supply “receipts” that prove Larry is Jewish?

• Like 20

I don’t know if Larry is Jewish or not, but I’m also Jewish and I eat bacon and other pork products as well as shellfish. Many reform and non-practicing Jews do the same. Not eating those things are part of the stricter rules of religion. I think Larry was just being a wuss. 

• Like 15

38 minutes ago, CoachWristletJen said:

You make some really good points here. I get that Larry is Jewish, but when he wasn't eating the meat, he didn't say anything about that. He talked about his intestines. I might be wrong here, but I got the impression that it was more about his physical wellbeing than his religious convictions.

And, he still didn't get that he was SO RUDE.

He's not a very bright man.

It was such a kick in the teeth to Jenny's poor family. And, Larry just didn't get it.

What's the learning curve like for this guy, anyway?

I didn't know Larry is Jewish! But even if he is, not all Jews keep kosher. If he does, that's a pretty important part of his life, so why the heck wasn't that something he ever discussed with Jenny? Pork is a big part of the diet in many cultures (Mexico, the Caribbean, Latin and South America, Asia, the Philippines, etc.) so you would think 1) Larry would be aware of that, having learned something about the culture before going to meet Jenny, and 2) communicating his religion-based dietary restrictions to her prior to arriving.

Oh wait. Silly me. I'm thinking about what people of average intelligence would most likely do prior to visiting someone who lives in a different country. My bad.

Furthermore, the Philippines have a Muslim population of between 5.57% and 11% (depending upon who you ask), and Muslims don't eat pork either, so I doubt Jenny would have had an issue if Larry's religious beliefs preclude him from eating pork. Not eating pork is not a concept totally unheard of in the Philippines.

Edited by TwirlyGirly
  • Like 7

9 hours ago, Eme said:

Patrick - So DUN with him.  All I can see is his BabyMama, stuck permanently in the Friend Zone, looking hurt that he's heading for Paris to a New Gal.  Really?  Karma is rough and we are all watching with the popcorn.  Marium is enjoying the attention, and had no interest in him.  IF she has a BF, she told him about Patrick only to try to get him jealous, and he's either not jealous at all, or else he's bugged and giving her the silent treatment.  Their story is annoying and the only ending I would like to see is Patrick going back to the BabyMama and putting some Serious Effort into making that family work.  Sheesh.

Larry - the look on his face as he gingerly took a bite of the pork then immediately ripped it out of his mouth, all the while sweating up a storm.....seriously?  I saw that delish looking pork and thought "Man!  That skin looks nice and crunchy....YUMM!"  He has zero social graces, and while Jenny looks to be in it for the green card, it seems like she thought he had a tiny bit of manners and was shocked and dismayed to realize that she's stuck with an social idiot.  I am guessing her Mom is in the Middle East as a domestic.  My heart breaks for her in not seeing her Mom for 3 years.  Larry should have taken one look at that home and insisted on using his 401K to get them BEDS and some some minor comforts instead of judging them and leaving.  He is useless. On the other hand, if she gets a grip on his financial situation, she may just dodge a bullet when she realizes that his income will not allow them to help her family financially....so there is 

Karine needs to get a person to translate what is going on...she will never understand with his "pat" answers "someone accused me of burning my personal belongings for insurance fraud."  WHAT?  There is a LOT to unpack there and without a translator, she is hopeless of getting close to the real story.  It sounded like she wanted to move forward and forget about the machete mugging, his abandoning her in a dangerous area, and avoiding talking about this past...this could work out for him....but she is making a serious mistake in not getting a translator to help her make that decision.

I completely agree with you on this point.  I had been thinking for some time it would be difficult for Karine to understand the arson and insurance fraud as well as the restraining order.  Considering her rural background, Paul’s crimes can’t be something she is very familiar with.  The translators are not completely accurate either.

• Like 5

As the daughter of a French woman and the wife to a German man for 20 years, I gotta defend Europeans about the comment upthread that all Europeans are lazy?!? Sweeping generalization much? All the Europeans I have ever associated with have been well educated and hardworking. Thanks. Just had to get that off my chest. :-) 

Larry sucks. That is all. I don't care what the fueckety fuck Larry's issues are with pork or pig or pig's head; he could have been a damn sight more gracious about it. I know this has all been said, but my heart just broke when Jenny said that having a lechon was a special occasion, and that last time they had one when was she was a little kid.  Like once in 10 years?!? This came on top of knowing that Jenny has not seen her mother in three years. Can you imagine the burden that young girl feels to try to do her part to lift her family out of poverty? 

I am officially Team Jenny all the way now. Larry could have stayed in his end of the ocean and found some nice girl close to home, but no, Larry decided to go all exotic and bride shop on the other side of the world when he knows that he is the most unadventurous, untraveled, unaware of the outside world  person I have ever seen. You refuse to stay in your lane, you get what you deserve. Paul, criminal doofus that he is, managed to do some research on where he was going...maybe too much, but better than zilch, null, nada, zero. 

• Like 18

I guess Larry's never been to a luau before, that's always the centerpiece.  It's a freaking pig!  Hey Larry, where do you think your pulled pork sandwich came from?  Or your side of bacon?  What an idiot.

I can't even watch Patrick, I want to smack him through the tv screen.  This chick isn't into you, dude.  When she spends your time with her lamenting that she loves her boyfriend and he isn't paying her enough attention instead of saying screw my bf, I have Patrick here..SHE'S NOT INTO YOU!!!  She sees you as her girlfriend now.  She put you in her friend zone, and you let her get away with it, so now she sees you as her bff to give her the attention her boyfriend doesn't.  She's using you, you dope.

Sean is just stupid beyond words.

All of these guys are just an embarrassment to men everywhere.

This show feels so manipulative.  I can see all of these stories resolving into some improbable "happy ending".

• Like 5

Well, I might be remembering incorrectly (regarding Larry being Jewish). I'll try to find a clip later today when I have time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CoachWristletJen said:

Uh yeah, communication.  He only had about a bazillion chances to explain himself.  And nothing.  

10 minutes ago, Chickabiddy said:

I gotta defend Europeans about the comment upthread that all Europeans are lazy?!? Sweeping generalization much? All the Europeans I have ever associated with have been well educated and hardworking. Thanks. Just had to get that off my chest. :

All the Europeans I've met - and I lived in Europe for several years - are indivuals, some of whom are lazy, others loyal, others hard-working, etc.  Like people everywhere.  

11 minutes ago, Dobian said:

SHE'S NOT INTO YOU!!!  She sees you as her girlfriend now.  She put you in her friend zone, and you let her get away with it, so now she sees you as her bff to give her the attention her boyfriend doesn't. 

I see her playing games with Patrick.  She knows he is into her, so why discuss her boyfriend with him?  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sprockets said:

Uh yeah, communication.  He only had about a bazillion chances to explain himself.  And nothing.  

All the Europeans I've met - and I lived in Europe for several years - are indivuals, some of whom are lazy, others loyal, others hard-working, etc.  Like people everywhere.  

I see her playing games with Patrick.  She knows he is into her, so why discuss her boyfriend with him?  

Right, so I didn't appreciate the sweeping generalization and thought I would share my own experience. ;-) 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sprockets said:

Patrick gets to listen to her problems while her bf gets to go to bed with her.  Nice deal you signed up for, Patrick.

Didn't know Larry was Jewish either.  Nice job passing along that information, show.  At least you could have had him discuss it in his confessional session.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flowergirl81 said:

Do we have any evidence that Larry is indeed Jewish?  Because I’m pretty sure he “crossed himself” before eating the pork.  Also if he’s actually Jewish he should have mentioned it at the family dinner, or at least afterward to Jenny so that she’d understand his reasoning.  Can somebody supply “receipts” that prove Larry is Jewish?

He absolutely crossed himself before eating the pork. His last name is Passariello so at the very least he's Italian. Not that there are not Italian Jews but I don't think he's one of them unless, POSSIBLY, an earlier wife was Jewish (or were his sons both OOW?) and he had to convert. 

ETA: I wrote longer than AZChristian so sorry for the overlap! :)

I never thought I'd defend Larry in any way on here, and this is not really a defense per se, BUT ... I am not a vegetarian and there are few things I love more than barbecued pork (and FWIW I'm Jewish LOL) ... however, I don't really like being reminded of what my meal looked like before it was put on my plate (sorry, sorry, sorry) and the whole ceremony of unveiling the very dead piggy would have been a little rough for me but then taking the axes and chopping it to bits made me queasy just watching. I don't know if I could have eaten it after watching that.

Not to say there weren't a ton of better ways to deal with it if in fact that's what made him unable to eat ... but most of us are probably a little better at coming up with good, reasonably respectful excuses than Larry. I think he was such a nervous wreck already about meeting FatherJenny (what WAS with that bowing and genuflecting?) that with his limited social skills they all flew right out the window. 

At least he tried to be nice. VERY similar situation, IMHO, to the chicken feet. Wish they'd come up with a new storyline to highlight "cultural food differences that ugly American can't deal with."

Also, re: Patrick's escapades at the bottom of the Sacre Coeur stairs, I actually got a huge kick out of that because that expanse is probably the biggest free stage for every street performer in Paris ... was just looking at old photos of my trip there in 2009 and my favorite memory was a young African street performer who walked on his hands while doing amazing tricks with a soccer ball with his feet. Patrick would fit in well there but he'd be overshadowed by better performers. That said, he's by far my favorite of the 90DF suitors for this particular batch. 

Edited by PamelaMaeSnap · Reason: To add that AZC and I think alike but I'm blabbier
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

I think he was such a nervous wreck already about meeting FatherJenny (what WAS with that bowing and genuflecting?) that with his limited social skills they all flew right out the window. 

. . . 

Also, re: Patrick's escapades at the bottom of the Sacre Coeur stairs, I actually got a huge kick out of that because that expanse is probably the biggest free stage for every street performer in Paris ... was just looking at old photos of my trip there in 2009 and my favorite memory was a young African street performer who walked on his hands while doing amazing tricks with a soccer ball with his feet. Patrick would fit in well there but he'd be overshadowed by better performers. That said, he's by far my favorite of the 90DF suitors for this particular batch. 

I googled his bowing, and found that it was probably his version of a Philippine practice of showing respect to elders.  At least he tried with that - although FatherJenny looked a bit askance at him.  

. . . 

I kept wanting the camera to pan out and show more of Sacre Coeur and less of Patrick.  We, too, visited there.  The only thing more beautiful than the outside was the inside.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Chickabiddy said:

<snip> Paul, criminal doofus that he is, managed to do some research on where he was going...maybe too much, but better than zilch, null, nada, zero. 

Yes, but all of Paul's research seems to have been centered on what hazards could befall HIM on his trip, and made preparations/brought supplies to avoid those hazards. He seems to have done little to no research into Karine's culture, or learned any of the language - things that are imperative to developing a relationship with Karine and understanding her, her family, and the circumstances in which she lives. Everything pertaining to building a strong relationship as a couple was ignored, IMHO.

It was all about him. 

I understand from Paul's POV he's had some bad relationships in the past (and from his perspective, HE was the victim in those relationships), so he's in self-protect mode. He's said as much multiple times. But if he cared about Karine as much as he claims he does, he'd see the person who has the most to lose in this situation is Karine, not himself. Look around, Paul! Of the two of you, which one has the most resources? You can hop on a plane and go back to mama anytime you want. If Karine comes back to America with you, can she hop a plane back to Brazil and the safety of HER family at a moment's notice if your relationship goes south? No. She's young, she's naïve, not well-educated, and has no resources - a woman who would be living in a country where she doesn't know the language, in a culture completely foreign to her, with no support system whatsoever. Karine would be entirely dependent on Paul (and that weird mother of his), and have no one to turn to, nowhere to run, if things were to go bad. And, judging from Paul's behavior thus far, the odds are not in Karine's favor.

• Like 13

12 minutes ago, TwirlyGirly said:

Yes, but all of Paul's research seems to have been centered on what hazards could befall HIM on his trip, and made preparations/brought supplies to avoid those hazards. He seems to have done little to no research into Karine's culture, or learned any of the language - things that are imperative to developing a relationship with Karine and understanding her, her family, and the circumstances in which she lives. Everything pertaining to building a strong relationship as a couple was ignored, IMHO.

It was all about him. 

I understand from Paul's POV he's had some bad relationships in the past (and from his perspective, HE was the victim in those relationships), so he's in self-protect mode. He's said as much multiple times. But if he cared about Karine as much as he claims he does, he'd see the person who has the most to lose in this situation is Karine, not himself. Look around, Paul! Of the two of you, which one has the most resources? You can hop on a plane and go back to mama anytime you want. If Karine comes back to America with you, can she hop a plane back to Brazil and the safety of HER family at a moment's notice if your relationship goes south? No. She's young, she's naïve, not well-educated, and has no resources - a woman who would be living in a country where she doesn't know the language, in a culture completely foreign to her, with no support system whatsoever. Karine would be entirely dependent on Paul (and that weird mother of his), and have no one to turn to, nowhere to run, if things were to go bad. And, judging from Paul's behavior thus far, the odds are not in Karine's favor.

Just to be clear, I was not lauding Paul for his efforts, nor am I a fan; I only wanted  to point out that Larry didn't do ANY research, and his SIL in is from the Philippines?!?!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Jenny is growing on me too!  In all fairness, of course she's talked to a lot of other guys.  Didn't we all before we landed on the right one?  Doesn't make her a bad person.  And she may not show a lot of emotion.  Some people just don't. 

I used to be on Team Larry, but not after tonight.  He blew right past uber doofus straight to ignorant dick tonight!  These people have literally NOTHING and they tried to honor him with a special meal which he turned up his snotty little nose at.  Like he's too good to eat that?  Whatever.  Jackass.

Jenny contacted lots of guys until one actually stuck.  Unfortunately for her it was Larry.  What you see is what you get.

I do understand the reluctance of Larry to eat the pig.  It really turns me off to see the entire pig, head and all, myself.  However, the meat itself IS delicious if you get the vision of the pigs head out of your thoughts.  Regardless, he should have eaten a generous portion and been very complimentary and thankful for the meal that this family presented to him which they mentioned they only do for special occasions.

To be honest, I've always thought that Larry was mentally challenged. There are many mentally challenged people who function in the everyday world (I have a family member who is mentally challenged and holds down a job and is married) but they are not always aware of social situations. Larry really is one of those.  I don't think he had any idea he was being rude....he just tells it like it is.  There is no way Jenny will have the patience to be married to someone like Larry.  But, she might just go ahead with a marriage and get the green card and take off....he is ripe to be taken advantage of that is for sure.

• Like 4

I'm not going to bash Larry for not eating the pig. I'm a vegetarian & I think that's gross. But i know plenty of omnivires who would also find it gross, for various reasons. Just like the Americans are expected to adapt to the nonAmerican customs, the nonAmericans need to adapt as well. I seriously doubt the family would be that offended by a foreigner not wanting the food. Did Jenny discuss this feast with him beforehand? I just hope the family didn't pay for the food.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hellohappylife said:

I’m not convinced the whole mugging situation went down. It’s Too much like a cheesy romantic movie, The guy reveals a flaw to the girl,the girl begs that she loves him no matter what. The guy runs off ashamed,she chases after. He pushes away,she leaves alone & then surprise surprise,she’s robbed & he wasn’t there to “protect” her (no one with a machete would be afraid of Paul,hell even with out they wouldn’t)

Mr. Wovenloaf and I both actually laughed out loud when Paul lamented that he wasn't there to "protect and defend" Karine.  I suspect the machete guy might have done the same (then chopped off his arm or something) if Paul tried.

As for Larry, I thought he was outrageously rude.  And I felt bad for Jenny and her family that they were treated that way. 

Edited by wovenloaf
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, MrSmith said:

If I recall correctly, Larry is Jewish. So, no, he really couldn't have eaten any of the pig

The thing is he was making grossed out faces, sweating and gagging at the mere sight of the pork on his plate. That part had nothing to do with his religion. Just plain ignorance. 

I felt so sorry for the family. Jenny said the pig is very expensive there and the family could hardly ever afford it. They obviously went above and beyond to be gracious to Larry and were so proud to be able to do so. Personally, I like pork but the sight of a whole one roasting has always turned me off and then the head being chopped off would have sickened me, but I would have sucked it up and gotten over it to please this nice family that went out of their way to welcome me.  Larry is a classless asshat. 

• Like 9

49 minutes ago, TwirlyGirly said:

It was all about him. 

Paul has to protect himself because he's a selfish, selfish a$$Hole. He doesn't have the insight to see what he's done wrong in the relationship so it's all about his being wounded and rejected.

Karine is a about 14 years younger than he is and she's had very limited exposure to a lot of things; she's the perfect kind of girl for Paul to control and manipulate. It's hard to watch sometimes.

I know I'm basically just restating what you just said. I shouldn't be shocked by what a jerk Paul continues to be, but I am. And, I'm so worried about Karine!

Can you get a K1 if you're a Felon? Let's hope not.

I found this. "The International Marriage Broker Regulation Act requires that fiancées be given a brochure about domestic violence, and requires that American petitioners who have been convicted of certain crimes of violence, abuse or multiple crimes involving drugs declare this on the petition, among other things." Also, they cannot be approved if they have been convicted of sex crimes or crimes involving children. 

I'm guessing Paul can squeak through. Bastard.

Excuse my French.

Edited by CoachWristletJen · Reason: Added info about K1 Visa & wanted to call Paul a bastard.
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

With a last name like Passariello, and his crossing of himself before he put that tiny bite of pork into his mouth, I think it's unlikely that he's Jewish.

Oh yeah, forgot about that.  Yep, he's Christian.  And a moron.

• Like 5

Just like the Americans are expected to adapt to the nonAmerican customs, the nonAmericans need to adapt as well. I seriously doubt the family would be that offended by a foreigner not wanting the food. 

Actually no one is saying Larry needs to adapt - what everyone is saying is that he needs to be respectful and cognizant of the customs of the  country to which he CHOSE to travel and perhaps should have made a modicum of effort to learn about before deciding to marry someone from another culture. And the same holds true for all of these idiots really.  

On another note - I saw something and rewound and froze the screen to confirm it. When the producer finally finds Paul and they're standing around in the parking lot discussing the mugging of Karine she tells him that Karine has gone back to the hotel, packed and is moving out to stay with a friend. The camera pans over and you can CLEARLY see Karine sitting the backseat of the maroon SUV tapping away on her phone. 

• Like 4

I bet the pig was courtesy of production.  They probably paid for the pig and chuckled with glee at vegetarian Larry’s impending reaction.  

Tv gold ya’ll!!’

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, shockermolar said:

On another note - I saw something and rewound and froze the screen to confirm it. When the producer finally finds Paul and they're standing around in the parking lot discussing the mugging of Karine she tells him that Karine has gone back to the hotel, packed and is moving out to stay with a friend. The camera pans over and you can CLEARLY see Karine sitting the backseat of the maroon SUV tapping away on her phone. 

You have got to be kidding! Those deceitful assholes! They should make a new series "90 Day Fiance Behind the Scenes" 

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, shockermolar said:

This show feels totally scripted.  None of these pairings should end in a continued relationship, but I get the feeling that all of them will, at least presented that way on the show.  They all feel like they have a pre-determined outcome.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

With a last name like Passariello, and his crossing of himself before he put that tiny bite of pork into his mouth, I think it's unlikely that he's Jewish.

Yeah, I  didn't watch every minute of this episode, but Larry's behavior did not strike me as one of religious reasons not to eat pork. He didn't say as much and seemed just grossed out. Also, aren't Philppinos overwhemingly Roman Catholic? Why wouldn't an observant Jew not communicate this to a potential mate? 

Paul-- creepy and unstable, imo. I feel for Karine if she marries him.

Sean-- stupid is as stupid does. If you say you're not sure if you can trust Abby and are not sure what life will be like with her, then do not propose to her, moron.

Courtney--dumb and annoying. You think Antonio is more "family-oriented?" Whatever gives you that idea?

• Like 5

If Larry didn't want to eat the pig, then just take a tiny bit and eat the sides, which were probably rice or noodles. The fact that he wouldn't eat any of it most like puts him on par with Paul, who thinks that all food served in foreign countries has cooties. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CofCinci said:

If Larry is Jewish, he shouldn’t be attacked for abstaining from pork.  I figure production paid for the pig roast to create this drama. 

Whatever Larry's reasons for not wanting to partake, he shouldn't be attcked.  He should just say "This all looks lovely, I am very impressed by your hospitality, but I am not able to eat pork."  Instead he gags it down and says nothing.  It's like he is trying to offend.  

Edited by Sprockets · Reason: typo
  • Like 3

CoachwristletJen, that is hilarious!  

4 hours ago, CoachWristletJen said:

He certainly would have eaten McNuggets if they had laid those out.

Edited by Drogo · Reason: Quote formatting.