Galileo908

S29.E01: The Serfsons

In a magical medieval world, Marge's mother is turned into an Ice Walker and Homer forces Lisa to use illegal magic to cure her; Lisa is kidnapped and Homer must lead a feudal uprising to save her.

We're going Game of Thrones for the premiere, folks. Looks cool.

Intro: Three-headed dragon

The intro was all kinds of awesome, and the episode was a lot of fun to see in a GOT-esque fantasy world. Of course the Van Houtens are goblins, and I enjoyed seeing Duffman-At-Arms. Everything about this world was really cool to see. I enjoyed seeing GRR Martin in the background with a sign reading "the end is not nigh."

Neat to see that all the killed off characters were on the pikes: Grimes, Maude, Bleeding Gums Murphy, even Troy McClure.

Ha, they even had a prank call to Moe. And the bit with Aslan was great, and really well-animated. Wasn't expecting a good chunk of the plot to hing on an existential crisis, but I liked seeing it.

Seeing Marge's twin brother voiced by Jaime Lannister was weird as hell.

Okay, the bread being stale enough to behead someone and the pig exploding was hilarious.

• Like 3

I actually liked this episode and I didn't find it to be like a straight-up Game of Thrones parody but more like a fantasy mash-up parody with references to a lot of different media/properties in the genre. 

• Like 2

Damn, my DVR either didn't record any intro or they didn't show it in my market because of NFL coverage. I did like the detail of making the music store next to medieval Moe's being "King Lutes". Also, the end credits (soft music over line drawings of the characters) were just like the end credits of the third Hobbit movie ... which I just got around to watching this past weekend.

• Like 1

Seeing Marge's twin brother voiced by Jaime Lannister was weird as hell.

I need to rewatch it now I know its him.   And now I know Billy Boyd was in it. 

Aw, the end drawing about Puerto Rico got me all emotional.  The Simpsons twitter account also tweeted out info on how to help. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, TVSpectator said:

I actually liked this episode and I didn't find it to be like a straight-up Game of Thrones parody but more like a fantasy mash-up parody with references to a lot of different media/properties in the genre. 

I agree, I think that's why I enjoyed it. 

I did not even recognize NC-W as Marge's creepy twin brother, wow.

Almost forgot: I laughed too damn hard at Krusty's genital snurfs especially when they threw their tiny hats in the air in celebration. I'm cackling even now as I type this. ?

Edited by Kaboom 2.0
  • Like 3

Were the end credits a tribute to the final Hobbit and LOTR films(i.e sketches of people and places in the end credits)?

This was nice

DLF1Of2WsAENUZz.jpg:large

On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 9:42 PM, TDT said:

Were the end credits a tribute to the final Hobbit and LOTR films(i.e sketches of people and places in the end credits)?

This was nice

DLF1Of2WsAENUZz.jpg:large

Yes, as noted above by AAEBoiler, it's based on the last Hobbit movie (The Battle of the Five Armies). The person singing the song at the end of this episode, Billy Boyd, also did the song at the end of TBOTFA, "The Last Goodbye" (he was also Pippin in the LOTR movies).

I enjoyed this episode. The genital smurfs (or whatever they were called) actually made me laugh out loud, which I haven't really done with a Simpsons episode for awhile.

I'm glad I didn't watch this as it aired live. I had to keep pausing to catch all the tidbits in the background.

Cold Stone Screamery and Urban Outhouse. (Nelson Voice)Haw Haw(Nelson Voice)

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Like 3

On 10/2/2017 at 1:09 PM, Kaboom 2.0 said:

Almost forgot: I laughed too damn hard at Krusty's genital snurfs especially when they threw their tiny hats in the air in celebration. I'm cackling even now as I type this. ?

It was pretty funny.

Finally got around to watching this episode.

Fat Tony and Rev. Lovejoy were dining at King Quimby's table during the intro.

Drederick Tatum had boxing  gloves on his shield.

The heads of Maude Flanders and Frank Grimes were on pikes in the 'The Common Folk' slide, and later there were heads of Bleeding Gums Murphy, Cletus, Ned Flanders, Helen Skinner, Lunchlady Doris, and Troy McClure, 

The Lepers, Mad Men and Goblins were Hans Moleman, Ole Gil Gundersen, Sideshow Bob, Crazy Cat Lady, and Milhouse and Kirk van Houten.

The Webs at Giant Spider Acres --  A Retirement Forest

Tannery -- John Tanner, Owner
Mill -- Robert Miller, Owner
Candy Shop -- William Child-Eater, Owner

Sign on Barber Hibbert's Surgery -- It's Flu Season, Have Your Leg Cut Off !  In the intro, the Sea Captain was having his leg cutoff.

Potions behind Barber Hibbert
-- Red Potion -- Restores Health 50 rupees
-- Green Potion -- Restores Magic 50 rupees
-- Blue Potion -- Restores Both 100 rupees
-- The Strangler
-- Mundane Potion
-- Cure Moderate Wounds
-- Ent-Draught
-- Lucy's Cordial
-- Elixir of Madness
-- Barkskin # 2
-- Milk of the Poppy
-- Polyjuice Potion

Stores along the street
-- Amulet Hamlet
-- Cold Stone Screamery
-- Urban Outhouses
-- Sir Duncan's Doughed Naughts
-- Rural Outfitters
-- Barns for Nobles
-- an Apple Store -- that sold apples with a bite taken out of them
-- Banana Monarchy
-- Fool Locker
-- Restoration Bard Wear
-- Hyborian Apparel
-- Just Half-Capes
-- Victarion's Secret
-- Never 21

The guy carrying the sandwich board outside of Moe's look an awful lot like George R. R. Martin -- and the sign said 'The End is Not Nigh' on the front, and 'I'll Tell You When it's Nigh' on the back.

Recipe for P. Jackson's Overstuffed Hobbit
-- Cut hobbit into 3 pieces
-- Pack with unnecessary stuffing
-- Serves many, satisfies none.

That's a burn.

I like that Snake was being stoned for having been caught reading.

Even Spiderpig made a cameo.

Marge: "Oh sweetie. Who would want to live in a world without magic.  You'll be so bored. People would have to make up fantasy stories."
Comic Book guy: "Most of the them poorly-written pretenses for explicit sex and violence."
Marge: "Just to escape the tedious real world."

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Like 3

I just saw this episode for the first time and really did not like it. It felt like a rejected Family Guy script that got retooled into a Simpsons episode.