OnceSane

S06.E05: Dreidels and Betrayals

I saw Kedi in the theater, but apparently you can watch the whole movie online if you have YouTube Red (not sure what that is--probably a premium membership).  It's lovely and sweet and funny and sad and very worth seeing.  Turkish cats, cats, cats.

• Like 1

So we see sloppy MJ washing her face and reapplying make-up, then she gets in her bed with pristine white sheets with feet that look like they haven't seen water or soap in over two weeks. HOW does anyone get feet that filthy? She is a dirty girl in many many respects. Seeing her hanging out of her clothes, eating with her mouth open, and running around on camera with blackened dirty feet makes me realize she lacks any normal modicum of self awareness.  She is also jealous, and needs to stop with her proclamations about Asa and sweep her own side of the street.

Asa...no one cares about your "art." You put your friends in harms way potentially, while you got to shoot with the leaders. I ended up fast forwarding thru out her shenanigans, as I found them mostly as self serving as her "art gallery showing," her diamond water, her caftans, and her gold facial mask.

Mike you screwed up you life cheating on Jessica, but this trip home brought out the best in you. I loved seeing your family, and was so sad to hear Emi (the woman in the wheelchair) passed when they dedicated the episode to her.  I adore his new home and hope he can move forward. 

• Like 3

Asa's shenanigans in Israel were cringe worthy!  I had second hand embarrassment for her. 

GG had a stank attitude at the wall, she could have just let everyone had their time at the wall but noooo...she saw the wall as a barrier, lol...the old city is a walled city you nincompoop!  I feel like GG is still looking for anything to get fired up about.

I hope they went to Haifa and toured the Ba hai temple gardens, enjoyed the beaches and did some shopping in the shook.

• Like 5

this episode disgusted me. Reza and Mike are so stupid and bigoted that it boggles the mind. GG and Shervin showed a great deal restraint when those bigoted idiots were being so disrespectful to the "non - Jews"

• Like 4

Minor annoyance, Mike said he hadn't visited in 10 years.  Even if he was rounding having a "passport full of visits" doesn't fly, because passports are only good for 10 years and all of those earlier visits from when he was a kid wouldn't be on his current passport.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Crazydoxielady said:

Asa...no one cares about your "art." You put your friends in harms way potentially, while you got to shoot with the leaders. I ended up fast forwarding thru out her shenanigans, as I found them mostly as self serving as her "art gallery showing," her diamond water, her caftans, and her gold facial mask.

Asa's dumb art projects bug the shit out of me. Having her friends wandering about asking potentially uncomfortable and intrusive questions, obnoxious and possibly trouble-making. The Shahs asking if people were Muslim or Jewish reminded me of the Documentary Now episode Dronez: The Hunt for El Chingon. It's a parody of a Vice Media documentary. The reporters are clueless and rude. To find El Chingon, the reporters wander the streets asking people if they know where the notorious drug kingpin el Chingon is.

I've always thought that her diamond water could have sold if she described it as diamond filtered. It doesn't really mean anything, but it sounds good.

https://www.trendhunter.com/trends/diamond-filtered-vodka-diamond-standard

The other reasons that diamond water never really went anywhere is that she designed a bottle that was too tall to fit on grocery shelves and all of the players in bottled water are so big.

• Like 6

On 8/14/2017 at 8:20 PM, Neurochick said:

What turned me off about the Western Wall, was that men and women were separated.  I don't think God would be cool with that.  

The Western Wall is not just a cultural icon, or a tourist site, it is a synagogue and 90% of the people who go there are Jews wanting to pray, and men and women are not allowed to see each other when they pray. When someone is directly near the Wall, it is disrespectful to take selfies, chat loudly, dress immodestly, or draw a lot of attention to oneself, because it bothers the majority of people who come to pray, just like in a very very conservative place of worship. 

Edited by Matias130
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, Matias130 said:

The Western Wall is not just a cultural icon, or a tourist site, it is a synagogue and 90% of the people who go there are Jews wanting to pray, and men and women are not allowed to see each other when they pray. When someone is directly near the Wall, it is disrespectful to take selfies, chat loudly, dress immodestly, or draw a lot of attention to oneself, because it bothers the majority of people who come to pray, just like in a very very conservative place of worship. 

I stand by my original statement, the God I believe in wouldn't be cool with separation.  Separation of the sexes doesn't have anything to do with God, but with man.  YMMV.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Neurochick said:

I stand by my original statement, the God I believe in wouldn't be cool with separation.  Separation of the sexes doesn't have anything to do with God, but with man.  YMMV.

It's not about what God wants, it's about tradition. And respect for the beliefs of the other people there.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Willowsmom said:

It's not about what God wants, it's about tradition. And respect for the beliefs of the other people there.

Well, religion is kind of about what God wants.  

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Neurochick said:

In every Orthodox synagogue the men and women sit separately.  Men and women do not dance together or even in front of each other, married women wear a shetle (a wig) because the women's hair is only for her husband to see in privacy.  Men do not touch or shake hands with women other than their wives (especially in case they have their period), there are a zillion laws that are a zillion years old...it is what it is and we have to respect it. 

• Like 2

Did GG say she had a problem with the separation?  I thought she just mentioned that she didn't like how the men had a much MUCH larger space than the women. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gunderda said:

Did GG say she had a problem with the separation?  I thought she just mentioned that she didn't like how the men had a much MUCH larger space than the women. 

She said both.

• Like 1

On August 17, 2017 at 10:40 AM, Baltimore Betty said:

In every Orthodox synagogue the men and women sit separately.  Men and women do not dance together or even in front of each other, married women wear a shetle (a wig) because the women's hair is only for her husband to see in privacy.  Men do not touch or shake hands with women other than their wives (especially in case they have their period), there are a zillion laws that are a zillion years old...it is what it is and we have to respect it. 

Here's my thing.  I went to school with some women who became Orthodox.  Nothing wrong with it.  I see it as more a cultural thing than a religious one.  I don't have a problem with culture, as long as you don't say it makes you holier than other people.

On 8/16/2017 at 6:35 PM, Willowsmom said:

Exactly but I would say it's about what God wants and also tradition.  

On 8/14/2017 at 5:12 PM, WireWrap said:

Reza only became "uncomfortable" in the Muslim section/neighborhood when Mike got him worked up about them being there. Mike was disrespectful there, even more so than GG at the Western Wall, claiming they were going to be killed. 

Mike didn't participate 2 seasons ago when they went to the Mosque in Turkey, he sat outside and complained the whole time. Also, Reza made disgusting comments about the women wearing berkas in Turkey as well. 

I don't remember Mike complaining in the distainful manner that Gigi did, of it just being a wall and tearing it down. What Mike explained was that he was uncomfortable and wouldn't go into the mosque, that hearing the prayers brought back stories he heard of his mother frightened and crying and pregnant with Mike when living amid the unrest in Iran especally when she would hear the protest chanting and also the call to prayer.  Mike never said anything disrespectful of Islam, it's religious structures nor the way muslims worship. He never said it was just a building or it's just a cube, and that he wanted it torn down. GG's comments sunk to that low level.

As a non Muslim, non Jew I'd love to visit Mecca and Israel. The history, the culture, the architecture, the people are all fascinating. 

I'm a believer that we all are more alike than not alike. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Giselle said:

Exactly but I would say it's about what God wants and also tradition.  

I don't remember Mike complaining in the distainful manner that Gigi did, of it just being a wall and tearing it down. What Mike explained was that he was uncomfortable and wouldn't go into the mosque, that hearing the prayers brought back stories he heard of his mother frightened and crying and pregnant with Mike when living amid the unrest in Iran especally when she would hear the protest chanting and also the call to prayer.  Mike never said anything disrespectful of Islam, it's religious structures nor the way muslims worship. He never said it was just a building or it's just a cube, and that he wanted it torn down. GG's comments sunk to that low level.

As a non Muslim, non Jew I'd love to visit Mecca and Israel. The history, the culture, the architecture, the people are all fascinating. 

I'm a believer that we all are more alike than not alike. 

I'm not so sure about that, Mike talks about his fear of being killed by Muslims and GG wants to tear down things she sees as barriers to her religion.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, WireWrap said:

I'm not so sure about that, Mike talks about his fear of being killed by Muslims and GG wants to tear down things she sees as barriers to her religion.

Mike was talking about fear of being harmed. GG was saying the Western Wall was "just a wall" , and she wanted to tear it down, an inflamitory statement, it would be like Mike in a voice over saying the Kabbah was just a cube and saying it should come down while visiting Mecca (I know a visit can never happen.)

It's disrespectful of of the preciousness Jews and Muslims hold of those sacred places of worship. 

Mike said nothing of the sort about the mosques in Turkey when they were there. He spoke of fear.

GG may see the wall as representative of one of her many perceived barriers. The language she chose to use is very imflamitory and aggressive. Radicals on both sides have called for the destruction of the Western Wall and the Al Aqsa Mosque. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Giselle said:

"just a wall" , and she wanted to tear it down, an inflamitory statement

She said because behind that was a mosque and temple and saw it as a barrier to bridging the divide between religions. I am not saying that it wasn't a stupid statement but the context is important.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, biakbiak said:

She said because behind that was a mosque and temple and saw it as a barrier to bridging the divide between religions. I am not saying that it wasn't a stupid statement but the context is important.

GG's just not articulate enough to talk about any subject outside of makeup and clothing unfortunately! She'll always embarrass herself whenever she tries to be serious about anything! I can't get past her past violent behavior; esp. against her pregnant sister! That kind of out of control behavior just can't be overlooked and forgotten again and again! That swipe at Reza last year causing those scratches on Adam's neck would have been it! Call me small, but I just don't have universal forgiveness to give! People like that play on 'that' which enables them to continue acting out! You can be assured that she'll cause a furor sooner or later and we'll be in this same spot as past seasons needing to assess is she worth keeping in the group! ;-(

• Like 1

On 8/13/2017 at 8:24 PM, OnceSane said:

Everyone else isn't the first woman ever to be pregnant. ;)

Okay, I know Asa is obnoxious,  but even if she isn't the "first woman to be pregnant" it can be exhausting. M. J. Was obnoxious with her jealousy but Reza with his hatred of women was the worst.  STFU,  Reza. 

GG calling the wall a barrier was surprisingly insightful.

Edited by ShawnaLanne
  • Like 1

On 8/13/2017 at 9:13 PM, Bronzedog said:

I'm so confused as to why these horrible people decided to go to Israel.  I'm also confused as to which one I hate the most.  It's a tie between Asa and MJ.  I think Asa is leading.

Asa is so full of herself. I hate hearing her talk. It's always such nonsense.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Quilty said:

Asa is so full of herself. I hate hearing her talk. It's always such nonsense.

Asa's really alienating herself from the group! It's all about her and this pregnancy! MJ's ticked by how secretive she's been about it while questioning everything MJ done without sharing! ;-(

• Like 3