SilverStormm

At Home With Amy Sedaris

3 hours ago, AirQuotes said:

This is my new favorite show, and I hope it stays around.  I watch the episodes multiple times because there is so much to catch.  When I've shown it to my friends, they. . . didn't seem to get it.  *sad*

My perspective on it is Amy is doing a surreal version of Martha Stewart, Peggy Mann, and any and all PBS cooking and craft shows with a healthy dose of contemporary internet trends mixed in.  All the drawers under her stairs is such an unrealistic Pinterest gimmick!

I find it to be absolutely brilliant.  The set design is wonderful with Amy's bright and airy kitchen.  Her wardrobe is quirky, nostalgic, and fun.   The best is when she scotch tapes on fake fingernails to make the crafts more difficult.  lol  The crafts!  The crafts are all so stupid and unnecessary which is brilliant.  Sometimes I think with the crafts she is more spoofing on the trendy Nifty videos (which I 99% of the time find to be pointless crafts).

I'll never forget my shock and awe when I  realized she was using globs of Elmer's glue on those cheese sail appetizers!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DiabLOL said:

I'll never forget my shock and awe when I  realized she was using globs of Elmer's glue on those cheese sail appetizers!

LOL ~ that was a good one!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, AirQuotes said:

This is my new favorite show, and I hope it stays around.  I watch the episodes multiple times because there is so much to catch.  When I've shown it to my friends, they. . . didn't seem to get it.  *sad*

Amy Sedaris was on the Tonight Show the other night, and she showed the clip with the Zuni doll from the Christmas special.  When I first saw that I was on the floor.  But it seemed to me the audience here didn't get it either.  Jimmy Fallon called the show "Odd and wonderful", which I thought was a pretty good description.

• Like 2

Do people realize just how subversively funny the "I've said too much! I've said too much!" line can be taken? HA!  I don't know if comes from some other show or if it's something Amy picked up from someone else. If she came up with it for the character of Patty Hogg, god..Amy is a comic genius.  I absolutely love this show and I so hope it gets renewed.  It's hard for me to understand why there would be people who don't get the humor, but maybe they just aren't into Amy Sedaris.

This show has become a very welcomed funny refuge for me at this time and even the episodes that miss a little bit still have enough "Amy" to keep me laughing. In the episode where Jane Krakowski (sp) did the Craft section with Amy, well..it just about killed me.  Only because Amy ends up smiling at Jane's goodbye and calls her a "not so nice" name just outta nowhere. It caught me so off guard I laughed until I dangerously choked. Ehhh. It was scary. But...very, very funny.

I'm not optimistic, though.  I think I'm going to lose Amy like I lost Martin on Downward Dog.  I still tear up from that one.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AlwaysWatching said:

Amy is a comic genius.  I absolutely love this show and I so hope it gets renewed.  

I'm not optimistic, though.  I think I'm going to lose Amy like I lost Martin on Downward Dog.  I still tear up from that one.

I looked it up on Wikipedia and I think you'll be pleased:

Critical response

At Home with Amy Sedaris has received positive reviews from critics at launch. On Rotten Tomatoes the first season holds a 100% approval rating with an average rating of 8.25 out of 10 based on eleven reviews.[9] On Metacritic, which assigns a normalized rating to reviews, the series has a weighted average score of 82 out of 100, based on 5 critics, indicating "universal acclaim".[10]

Ratings

The show has been a success in regards to viewer ratings. Since the series premiered, the audience has grown 52% among people aged 18 to 49. About a fourth of those people are new viewers to TruTv.[2]

• Like 4

4 hours ago, 17wheatthins said:

The show has been a success in regards to viewer ratings. Since the series premiered, the audience has grown 52% among people aged 18 to 49. About a fourth of those people are new viewers to TruTv.[2]

Very good news indeed! Thanks 17wheatthins!

• Like 3

When she's on, she's ON. The first episode I saw was the one about having a dinner party on a budget and I deleted it about halfway through, just seemed a bit more gross than funny IMO. But I decided to give the show another chance, and I'm so glad I did - I've laughed heartily at all the other episodes, the Christmas special and the Murdercide shows in particular. I enjoy watching them more than once too, I find there are a lot of little subtleties I didn't catch or appreciate the first time around. It somehow amuses me how she'll switch the camera she's talking to, for just a word or so, for no real reason at all. Satirical perfection, I am happy to see that the ratings are good and the show will likely be around for another season. Though she'll never top the Christmas show, that will just have to be rerun as a yearly tradition, like It's a Wonderful Life or A Christmas Story, it's that good.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2017 at 3:03 AM, Corgi-ears said:

I think off it as a parody of cooking and entertaining shows, set in the world of Pee-wee's Playhouse.

Get out of my head!  When I was trying to sell this series to my brother,  I told him it's "Martha Stewart meets Pee-Wee's Playhouse."

On 11/8/2017 at 6:15 PM, Morbs said:

its friday night, gunna get drunk, gunna get laid, gunna be late on monday

This song has become a Friday ritual for my husband and me!  You have to do the jaunty little dance to get the full effect.  

Edited by Portia
  • Like 1

This is a little off topic, but I recently watched the first episode of Portlandia.  I have never seen any other episode of Portlandia, just to make that clear.

Anyway, the entire time I was watching it, I kept thinking that "This type of humor is very similar to the Amy Sedaris show".  

Especially The Lady Who Lives in the Woods.  She would be equally at home on either show, IMO.

I loved that Stephen Colbert was on the show.  I had forgotten that he and Amy worked together on “Strangers With Candy.”  I also love her recordings on the audios of David’s books. I just found out that their sister, Tiffany passed.  Amy said she did the show to kind of distract her from the grief.  

So glad Amy is coming back for a 2nd season.  There was a 2 minute preview showing some of her guest stars, enemies and friends.  I captured some screen shots of some of the characters (Amy, Patty Hogg, Nutmeg, etc.) - her show is so querky and odd which is why I like it.

amy-1.JPG

amy-2.JPG

amy-3.JPG

A few more screen shots as the site only allows a certain total size of uploads.  If these characters are but a taste of what the 2nd season has to offer then it should be a good one!

amy-4.JPG

amy-5.JPG

amy-6.JPG

• Like 1

"How do you keep a teenager engaged? I've always said, keep their hands busy, and their genitals will follow." Wait, I think I see a flaw in that plan.

• Like 1

I liked when they showed the teenager's feet next to the tree, I was sure that he had hanged himself.

The boy will never forget his first knife.

• Like 2

On 11/9/2017 at 11:40 AM, marketdoctor said:

It's kind of an American, female-centric version of The Red Green Show, or an off-the-rails spoof of sewing/craft and cooking shows.  Though the comparison to Pee-Wee's Playhouse is awesomely accurate.

I know this is a really old comment to reply to, but I used to LOVE The Red Green Show. Keep your stick on the ice!

Loving this show so much, too. Murdercide is my favorite so far. I've watched it about 3 times now, and it's just as funny on re-watching. But the Amy-sicle mooning over Yves St. Au Jus at the end of the hat show will stay with me for a loooooong time.

• Like 3

On 3/1/2019 at 6:58 PM, carrps said:

But the Amy-sicle mooning over Yves St. Au Jus at the end of the hat show will stay with me for a loooooong time.

“I’m allergic to stuffed” and it just got better from there.

This last episode was a sendoff of The Ghost and Mrs Muir.  I wonder if we'll ever see the Captain again?

It was funny how he was talking about how the body we take into the afterlife is the one we die with, and he let her know that if she lived too long and got too old he wouldn't be interested.

• Like 3