SpaghettiTuesdays

The Lonely Js Club: Jana, Jedidiah, Jeremiah and Jason

On 2/13/2019 at 10:52 PM, Sew Sumi said:

Even if Derelict had a quiz or something, Jill and the kids could have still attended. 

I get the feeling showing up WITHOUT YOUR HUSBAND, especially while he is out doing stuff in THE WORLD, is looked down on mightily. I'd be like normal people saying their spouse couldn't come because they're falling down drunk at home.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1

On 2/13/2019 at 4:42 PM, floridamom said:

Could Jessa have read that sheet of paper with any less emotion?

Why does Ben looked pissed sitting behind her?

I'd look pissed at this event. ;  )

• Like 7
  • Laugh 6

On 2/13/2019 at 9:42 PM, floridamom said:

Could Jessa have read that sheet of paper with any less emotion?

Why does Ben looked pissed sitting behind her?

I didn’t even think that was Ben at first! All I could think was whose the bearded guy behind Jess.

• Like 2
  • Laugh 1

1 hour ago, Puffin said:

I didn’t even think that was Ben at first! All I could think was whose the bearded guy behind Jess.

I don't think the beard does him any favors.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, OpieTaylor said:

It’s getting long and bushy!

Big bushy beards are the thing now apparently, and men who can grow them are inordinately proud. Can’t wait till the beard pride trend fades away. 

• Like 9
  • Laugh 2

44 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

I love beards!  I think the entire male Duggar clan should wear them!  Imagine JimBob with a beard!

I love stubble and short beards. but once they start getting all long and lush, there are very few men who can pull them off. Much as I think Ben is actually very cute, he's not one of them. I did like it when it was shorter, though.

• Like 3

On 2/15/2019 at 10:55 PM, awaken said:

Big bushy beards are the thing now apparently, and men who can grow them are inordinately proud. Can’t wait till the beard pride trend fades away. 

They have been for a while IMO, as I remember a discussion about my BIL's Amish-quality beard 2 Christmases ago; and also remember him echoing my best male friend's rationales on the topic as well... hides his/a double chin; "not everyone can grow this kind of hair, or any beard at all really!", so the fact that my sister hated it made no difference to him, because other men were always coming up to him and exclaiming admiringly of it.  "I wish I could grow a beard like that!"

• Like 1

I think beards have been in for several years. When I was an undergrad in college (circa early 2010s), they were a very big deal with my male classmates. 

• Like 2

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 7:13 AM, JoanArc said:
On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 10:52 PM, Sew Sumi said:

Even if Derelict had a quiz or something, Jill and the kids could have still attended. 

I get the feeling showing up WITHOUT YOUR HUSBAND, especially while he is out doing stuff in THE WORLD, is looked down on mightily. I'd be like normal people saying their spouse couldn't come because they're falling down drunk at home.

I also think that Derick isn't welcome at the TTH after shooting his mouth off about Jazz and getting Jill and their kids kicked off the show. Even though they privately agree with every word he said, Jim Bob and Michelle must be furious that he brought yet more bad publicity down on their family brand and possibly jeopardized their precious relationship with TLC. The thought that TLC executives might someday decide that the Duggars are more trouble than they're worth has probably given Jim Bob a few sleepless nights. Even if Derick hasn't actually been banned from their gatherings, he must be getting a very cold shoulder. 

Edited by Albanyguy
  • Like 21

10 hours ago, queenanne said:

They have been for a while IMO, as I remember a discussion about my BIL's Amish-quality beard 2 Christmases ago; and also remember him echoing my best male friend's rationales on the topic as well... hides his/a double chin; "not everyone can grow this kind of hair, or any beard at all really!", so the fact that my sister hated it made no difference to him, because other men were always coming up to him and exclaiming admiringly of it.  "I wish I could grow a beard like that!"

MANLINESS CONTEST. More socially acceptable than comparing the size of other man parts.

• Like 5
  • Laugh 2

On 2/2/2019 at 10:58 AM, leighdear said:

They did have those huge murals of a horse, and trees on the girl's dorm wall, before the remodel.  Flowers and butterfly paintings too. Plus, each area had photos of things other than just family members, books and knickknacks.   There was a lot of individuality in the bed spaces.

Here's a video from back then, plus a link to see the boys dorm.  They had paintings and lots of wall decor back then.  No telling how it looks now. 

.http://www.duggarfamilyblog.com/2013/04/tour-duggar-girls-room.html

Yes, lots of family photos.  But I have several in my bedroom, and it's not creepy at all.  

Wow. Jill seems so much more....normal in that video. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, MamaMax said:

Wow. Jill seems so much more....normal in that video. 

That's back when she was studying anatomy and physiology...in some kind of online course, I guess? -- so, uh, back when she thought she might go on to a life with education and maybe even a job in it? 

And did she says Jessa played the guitar? I don't remember hearing that before, although maybe that's just because I don't watch the show....

I could barely understand anything they were saying in the videos.  Anyone else have same problem? 

I like it that the Bates dress up in their finest for their "I Love You Day" celebration.

2 hours ago, Albanyguy said:

I also think that Derick isn't welcome at the TTH after shooting his mouth off about Jazz and getting Jill and their kids kicked off the show. Even though they privately agree with every word he said, Jim Bob and Michelle must be furious that he brought yet more bad publicity down on their family brand and possibly jeopardized their precious relationship with TLC. The thought that TLC executives might someday decide that the Duggars are more trouble than they're worth has probably given Jim Bob a few sleepless nights. Even if Derick hasn't actually been banned from their gatherings, he must be getting a very cold shoulder. 

I think this is true, BUT the more I see on TLC, the more convinced I am that the duggars are somewhat "necessary." The more outlandish their shows get, the more they need this "wholesome" family (as so many people think they are, still, especially since Josh isn't on the show) to balance out all the things the public will recoil at...the polygamy, the fat shows, Jazz, 90 day fiance, etc. They still need something to keep the conservative Christians watching despite the more liberal / outlandish programming (even though yes, polygamists are conservative Christians too, but most don't approve of polygamy). If they cancelled counting on but kept all of the stuff the leghumpers see as liberal and sinful, I could see a lot of people outright banning TLC. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Christina87 said:

I think this is true, BUT the more I see on TLC, the more convinced I am that the duggars are somewhat "necessary."

I agree, but that doesn't mean that the TLC execs won't use any weapon they have during negotiations with Jim Bob. And by starting a flame war with Jazz and getting kicked off the show, Derick handed them a good one: "We made your family rich and famous and you bite the hand that feeds you? We can always find a new Fundie family to work with, one without any troublemakers like Josh and Derick." Ever since Joshgate, the balance of power between TLC and the Duggars has shifted steadily in TLC's favor.

Jim Bob has only one real bargaining chip left to use during negotiations and that's a Jana courtship/wedding. Once he's played that card, what's he gonna do? He'll either settle for whatever TLC offers him or move to another cable network. And no other cable network will be willing to offer him a better deal than he'd get from TLC.

• Like 12

4 minutes ago, Albanyguy said:

Jim Bob has only one real bargaining chip left to use during negotiations and that's a Jana courtship/wedding. Once he's played that card, what's he gonna do? He'll either settle for whatever TLC offers him or move to another cable network. And no other cable network will be willing to offer him a better deal than he'd get from TLC.

Good points. I posted over in the recent episode topic, about its ratings, that the Bates' show on the UP network draws a fraction of the viewership and share that Counting On does on TLC. I've seen that leghumpers have talked up the idea of the Duggars moving to UP network, away from the sinful TLC - and I bet that gives JB heartburn. On UP they would have nothing like the number of viewers - or amount of money - that they get on TLC.

Edited by Jeeves · Reason: typos, they love me.
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Albanyguy said:

I agree, but that doesn't mean that the TLC execs won't use any weapon they have during negotiations with Jim Bob. And by starting a flame war with Jazz and getting kicked off the show, Derick handed them a good one: "We made your family rich and famous and you bite the hand that feeds you? We can always find a new Fundie family to work with, one without any troublemakers like Josh and Derick." Ever since Joshgate, the balance of power between TLC and the Duggars has shifted steadily in TLC's favor.

Seems that the recent ratings @Jeeves posted for the Duggs's season opener might actually be JB's best leverage, though, don't you think? Am I misremembering or was Counting On actually pretty high compared to virtually every other "story of these people" shows they have? .... 

And if that's the case, then TLC wouldn't want to lose one of their biggest audiences....so they'd be stuck with the show....

They've got to be leery about shutting down any known quantity that's anywhere near the top of their ratings, I'd think.....given the numerous truncated disasters they've had with new shows they've introduced over the past several years .... 

(hoping this is just my pessimism talking and the Duggs are actually on the low side of the TLC ratings, though! ; )   )

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Albanyguy said:

I don't think that Derick isn't welcome at the TTH BECAUSE of the Jazz incident, it's just collateral damage.

I think that something happened that caused Derick to want to break ties with the TTH and TLC -- whether it was the molestation, not getting paid what he thought he should from Duggar enterprises for his 'work' on the show, not getting reimbursed for Jill's medical bills when Israel was born, or something else entirely. I think that once he decided he wanted out, he came up with justifications like "TLC is ungodly, and I don't want my family on this ungodly network," and started in with the Jazz rants. 

I don't think he especially likes the Duggars or the TTH, and is happy to avoid his in-laws. I think that the Duggars don't like his stridency and his judgmental behavior towards them -- after all, THEY get to be judgmental about OTHERS -- NO ONE gets to be judgmental about THEM. I don't think that anyone especially likes Derick, or misses him when he doesn't show, and they're in a state of passive-aggressive stasis that's not entirely uncommon in in-law relationships.

• Like 23

So I think this belongs here, slightly off topic but:

Jana has been show to fancy herself as a decorator, and we all know how much she loves Chip and Joanna Gaines.  She and her sisters have made multiple trips to Waco.

I was wondering if she is also a fan of Erin and Ben Napier of Home Town, and if a trip to Laurel, Mississippi was in the near future.  Laurel is about the same distance as Waco from the TTH, so I could see them making the trip.  And the Napiers, while not fundie, are churchgoing people.  Ben was a youth minister for a few years.

But on Monday night's episode (which ironically was aired at the same time as the Counting On season premiere, and had more viewers), the show featured a young engaged couple who happened to be two women.  A lot of the Napiers' fans, who gushed about them on Instagram as such a "Godly Christian couple", turned on them instantly.  They were "disappointed that the show was encouraging a sinful lifestyle".  They were unfollowing them and deleting the show from their DVRs.  They were told "Chip and Joanna would never stoop to that level". Such a lovely display of Christian compassion.  So Jana and her sisters, I am sure now, will never go to Laurel.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Like 2
  • Surprise 2
  • Sad 5

On 2/17/2019 at 11:44 AM, Christina87 said:

I think this is true, BUT the more I see on TLC, the more convinced I am that the duggars are somewhat "necessary." The more outlandish their shows get, the more they need this "wholesome" family (as so many people think they are, still, especially since Josh isn't on the show) to balance out all the things the public will recoil at...the polygamy, the fat shows, Jazz, 90 day fiance, etc. They still need something to keep the conservative Christians watching despite the more liberal / outlandish programming (even though yes, polygamists are conservative Christians too, but most don't approve of polygamy). If they cancelled counting on but kept all of the stuff the leghumpers see as liberal and sinful, I could see a lot of people outright banning  cancelling TLC. 

I don't agree with this. I think the Duggars are necessary, because they're consistently one of the most watched shows in the history of the network. Anything pre-Duggars is pretty much gone. (A possible exception is Kate and right now her family is starting to split and that will hurt their image. ) Shows like SYTTD and Cake Boss has lost their steam. TLC has tried to find new hits and a lot of those have failed. TLC has been able to find new conservative families and yet somehow the Duggars are the most successful of all those other families. They had the Bates, the Willises, the Putnams(?),etc.  Most of the other polygamists families were a lot like the Duggars in many ways.

But who's watching these shows might be harder to gage.? Yes the Duggars have conservative fans, but also snarkers, bored people, people who just think huge families are interesting, etc. I think a lot of "conservatives"  may be watching at least some of the other shows as well. My fundie-lite friends were obsessed with Sister Wives (the Browns.) I also wouldn't be sure who watches the medical shows including the "fat" people. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

Jana has been show to fancy herself as a decorator,. . .

I was wondering if she is also a fan of Erin and Ben Napier of Home Town, and if a trip to Laurel, Mississippi was in the near future. . . . But on Monday night's episode . . . the show featured a young engaged couple who happened to be two women.  A lot of the Napier's fans, who gushed about them on Instagram as such a "Godly Christian couple", turned on them instantly.  . . . So Jana and her sisters, I am sure now, will never go to Laurel.

Well that's a good development. An obstacle to the media normalization of the Duggars. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Jeeves said:

Well that's a good development. An obstacle to the media normalization of the Duggars.

Very true.  On paper, the Napiers would appeal to the Duggars -they live in a small Southern town, they run a quirky general store- all stuff that we have seen the Duggars embrace.  

The difference is, of course, that their brand of Christianity is less oppressive and exclusive.  They don't insert Jesus into every sentence.  They watch tv and listen to modern music, and dance.  They are educated.  And they don't condemn people whose lifestyles are different from theirs.  On Monday's show, they did what they always do- make over an old house for a couple who want to live in their small town.  The fact that it was a same sex couple was not an issue.  And the very fans who were so impressed by their "Christian lifestyle" turned on them with a vengeance.  IMO this is a perfect example of the hypocrisy  of the Duggar brand of Christianity.  And this should not be normalized.

• Like 9