Jump to content
Drogo

S12.E06: Auditions 6

Recommended Posts

the five alive was boring. the girl who got the golden buzzer was boring.

how can that subway singer possibly make a living? 

the mirror twins were obxinous. they should wish they could sing like stevie wonder

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I was so sad to see Brandon Rogers audition knowing he had died in a car accident. What a bright young man taken too soon.  I grieve for his family and his patients  

 

The rest were just meh to me. The golden buzzer definitely did not deserve it. 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

I haven't watched many of the auditions this season, but I've been sick for several days and decided to turn on AGT for some mindless entertainment. And now I am in tears over Brandon Rogers. What a beautiful young man, with a gorgeous voice, who became a doctor to help others - and now he's tragically gone. Like GenL I am grieving for his family and his patients, and all who knew him. Life is so unfair. 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, pezgirl7 said:

I was sad to see the subway singer audtioning, because a YouTube video of him went viral last year, and he was invited to sing on The Late Late Show. Despite all the attention he received, it obviously didn't help his career enough.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/entertainthis/2016/09/15/viral-unchained-melody-late-late-show-with-james-corden/90418246/

It probably got him a gig on America's Got Talent. It's not superstardom but it is another television gig, more exposure and perhaps gigs that pay more than the subway.  Or heck, even more in tips. 

Who got the golden buzzer?  Was it the singer?  Have they all been singers this season?  (My least favorite category for this show.)

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Another European group of contortionists! Is this a trend so far this season? Those twins were obnoxious to the hilt. I don't know if they will pass with the others. Sorry to see Brandon's life cut so short. He was the best so far...such a shame. Just shy of his 30th birthday...

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

It probably got him a gig on America's Got Talent. It's not superstardom but it is another television gig, more exposure and perhaps gigs that pay more than the subway.  Or heck, even more in tips. 

Who got the golden buzzer?  Was it the singer?  Have they all been singers this season?  (My least favorite category for this show.)

Yes, all singers with the exception of Tyra's golden buzzer. 

 

Although I did enjoy Brandon's performance even though watching it was heartbreaking. From hearing him talking about an experience with his mother inspiring him to become a doctor so he could help others, to him singing "Ribbon in the Sky" (beautiful song), to him calling his mother telling her that he made it through to the next round. I was a wreck after that. My thoughts are with his patients, friends, work  colleagues and family...especially his mother. ?

Edited by giaNtsandYankees
  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

That girl was who Heidi decided to waste her golden buzzer choice on?  She was okay, but we didn't think she was anything special.  Subway singer had a lovely voice.  Like others so sad about Brandon.  Lovely voice, and he seemed like a lovely young man.  We did like that first comedian.  He was funny, although he talked so fast my dh had trouble understanding him.  I had to 'translate' most of the jokes, which made them not quite so funny.  But he had me laughing.  :)  So many duds last night.  Unlike others I didn't mind Five Alive.  I thought they were good enough to go through but unlikely to win.  A couple of "wow" moments but mostly a forgettable group.  And while they won't do it, for the love of God would they please quit with the sob stories?  Heck, just cut out the stories entirely.  This isn't Queen for a Day - it's America's Got Talent.  I don't care what the backstory is.  That doesn't make a mediocre or bad performer suddenly special.  A short question-and-answer session with the judges to start off and then just do your thing.  Really don't care who you are.  On the plus side we'd get to see a lot more acts, which is why I watch the show in the first place.  If they really want us to get to know the contestants, post videos and stories online so those who are interested can read/view them, and the rest of us don't have to suffer through them.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, LadyMustang65 said:

That girl was who Heidi decided to waste her golden buzzer choice on?  She was okay, but we didn't think she was anything special.  Subway singer had a lovely voice.  Like others so sad about Brandon.  Lovely voice, and he seemed like a lovely young man.  We did like that first comedian.  He was funny, although he talked so fast my dh had trouble understanding him.  I had to 'translate' most of the jokes, which made them not quite so funny.  But he had me laughing.  :)  So many duds last night.  Unlike others I didn't mind Five Alive.  I thought they were good enough to go through but unlikely to win.  A couple of "wow" moments but mostly a forgettable group.  And while they won't do it, for the love of God would they please quit with the sob stories?  Heck, just cut out the stories entirely.  This isn't Queen for a Day - it's America's Got Talent.  I don't care what the backstory is.  That doesn't make a mediocre or bad performer suddenly special.  A short question-and-answer session with the judges to start off and then just do your thing.  Really don't care who you are.  On the plus side we'd get to see a lot more acts, which is why I watch the show in the first place.  If they really want us to get to know the contestants, post videos and stories online so those who are interested can read/view them, and the rest of us don't have to suffer through them.

Meh. I knew as soon as the girl started crying (I was fast-forwarding through the sob story) that she'd get the buzzer. I completely agree that stories and bios could just as easily be posted online to free up more time for actual auditions, even if we get some gong show ones in the mix.

I agreed with Simon's assessment that Five Alive seemed dated and unoriginal, but I'd still take them over that pumpkin head guy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, ketchuplover said:

I thought Simon's buzzard was the deaf woman.  Brandon Rogers is making the choir of angels just a little sweeter.  RIP

That's right. Simon's Golden Buzzer was the woman that was hearing impaired, and the Singer/Ventriloquist was Mel B.'s Golden Buzzer.

Share this post


Link to post

I think the only person from this entire show moving forward that I'm rooting for is the unnamed woman who "danced" inside the practice skydiving wind machine.

Other favorites going into the Judge Cuts rounds are: Piano playing chicken, the magician guy Will Tsai, the guys who used Heidi's body as a digital canvas, and the Dancing Pumpkin. The Kiddie band who we saw ever so briefly wasn't too bad either.

Share this post


Link to post

Their presentation of Brandon Rogers' audition was surprisingly classy. It really is a shame. Apart from his singing he was a dedicated young doctor who probably would have done some volunteering with aid agencies or even Doctors Without Borders.

Five Alive was hilarious, from the perfect mimic of a 90s boy band to the choice of Bel Biv Devoe. I don't expect them to get far but it was an entertaining few minutes Which is not to say they're necessarily talented. Golden Buzzer was a waste. The twins made me think of John Hughes movies. They will also probably get cut in the next round.

I totally thought that comedian was gay.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Worst GB I have ever seen.  Heck, I'd barely vote her through at all.  She was sharp as all get out.

The comedian was atrocious.  I'd bet anything there were at least four others who were better and we did not get to see them.

The blind knife cutting with actual blood/flesh wounds was at least interesting.  Some actual danger.  The newlywed balancer?  Did you see how easily he jumped off the platform which itself was at least 8 feet off the ground?  He would have well-managed a tumble from his apparatus.  What he will not be able to handle?  His in-laws.  The culture shock will be enormous.  Been there.

This is the weakest season since Piers was a jidge.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

12: Mirror Image - There was almost a fist shaped hole in my TV and THESE GUYS are to blame. Everything about them felt like a set-up for one fo those "LETS LOOK AT THESE OVERCONFIDENT DOUCHES BE ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE AND GET MOCKED FOR IT" segments you get on X-factor. Instead we ended with a standing ovation for what amounted to little more than two caffeine addicts jumping around like duracell bunnies...Come again? It's a shame, because the idea/name was fairly solid, just that these 2 were obviously wasting it on mediocre dancing and singing.

 

11: 5 Alive - A quick glance at their website (which hilariously enough reveals the fact they were scouted to be on AGT right on the front page) would have you believe they were a parody group straight off of SNL, complete with "amusing" (read:cringeworthy) fake facts, fake names (obviously ages too) and songs making fun of old boy band tracks...yet on the actual show they were played almost straight, I say ALMOST because they were over the top, but weren't funny enough to be considered a good joke act nor talented enough singers to compete with better groups on the show. 

 

10: Angelina Green -  After 2 weeks of waiting for another golden buzzer act THIS is the one they saved for last, THIS is the big reveal...huh? I haven't been a fan of the cowellization (more on that later) going on this season and singers being the ones in the spotlight, but at least the other golden buzzers made sense on SOME level. Here it was just a case of "Out of ALL the singers we've heard so far...you chose her?". I...okay sure, why not, THAT'S AGT FOR YOU, FOLKS. looking forward to forgetting who she was once we get to the live rounds.

 

9: Harrison Greenbaum - I remember when the show kept teasing a stand-up comedian actually winning it. Each year it seemed like we were getting closer and closer to that, we were ALMOST there and it seemed like it was inevitable at one point someone would break the 2nd curse. Yeah, that ain't happening this year. Look, Harrison wasn't awful or anything, but not especially great either. Maybe someone will really surprise us in the live rounds, but so far it looks like a fairly average year for comedians on the show. Also whoever edited his package together needs to rethink things, because he was pretty much making the same jokes in his introduction as he was on stage.

 

8: Jonathan Rinny - Rolla Bolla...Rolla...Bolla...heh, funny words. I'm just wasting time here while I try to come up with things to say besides "it was good" because it was, but we see at least one act like this each season and they always leave us wondering "Well what's next?" and never deliver.

 

7: Canion Shijirbat - As always, I'm intrigued by the potential of acts like these, but I think what a lot of them forget is that Kenichi infused personality, humor and showmanship into his acts. The effects weren't just there to distract you, they were an organic and amusing part of the act, where Canion felt a bit too much like he was throwing stuff at us just to have effects. Still, looking forward to seeing what else he can do.

 

6: Brandon Rogers - I feel bad ranking him anywhere, but I guess I should be honest with myself and just place him where I would if he had been a regular contestant. This was a bittersweet segment, I had seen his death mentioned before so I knew it would show up at some point and they handled the situation nicely. He seemed like a lovely person with talent to spare and while the competition is tough in the singing category this year, he might have actually done okay in the end. Tragic, RIP Brandon. 

 

5: German Cornejos Dance Company - Just rolls off the tongue, doesn't it? Any act ending with the words "Dance Company" is pretty much destined to be cannon fodder on the show, but at least they are enjoyable cannon fodder.

 

4: The Quiddlers - I think the show has finally broken me, because I'm finding these gimmicky acts far more enjoyable as we go on. Maybe it's just the fact I can actually remember them after the episode ends and don't have to go on a witch hunt on youtube going "WHO? WAIT WHO? WAS THAT REALLY THIS EPISODE?". Sure, it's stupid, but it was kinda cute and original and fun. And at least we now know how the hobbit movies were filmed.

 

3: Mike Yung - Watching him get jerked around by the judges was infuriating.  It's time the judges learn that people are tired of vocally perfect, yet empty performances. How many THOUSANDS of people have we seen on singing shows like Idol, X-Factor or The Voice so far? Most of them can hold a tune and have voice to boot, yet they get forgotten hours later because they simply do NOT connect with the audience or leave any sort of mark on them. You can have a great voice, but if you can't use it to make us feel something or be memorable then there's just no hope for you and I was captivated during Mike's performance, while being bored during Angelinas.

 

2: Danylo & Oskar - You are going to ask me "why" and I'm just going to point at a tree and run away. I honestly have no idea why I liked them as much as I did, but something about the ease at which they did these tricks made me really really enjoy this.

 

1: Inka Tiitto (no, that's NOT the name of the next bond girl, that's ACTUALLY her real name) - Oh hey look something cool and new and interesting...MONTAGED. A TON of people got the dreaded MONTAGED treatment this week and I was half-thinking of watching those again to figure out who was who and adding them to the ranking, but then I slapped myself and came to my senses. She was easily the most interesting one out of all of them anyways.

 

So that's the audition rounds over with and it's been a mixed bag as usual, we got off to a REALLY strong start with episode 1 being one of the strongest audition rounds in the history of the show (in fact I wouldn't be surprised if we get at least 4-5 finalists from this episode alone). The rest of the episodes were a much more normal assortment of acts, but even then the show proved that it still had some steam and things left to show us.

 

ON THE OTHER HAND, this season has been the worst case of something I like to call"cowellization" we have seen in a long while. What is "cowellization" you ask? I can break it down into 3 categories:

 

1. An OVER-ABUNDANCE of singers pushed to the spotlight until the show becomes less of a free-for-all talent show and closer to "X factor with some dancers and a magician here or there"

 

2. Manipulative sob stories milked until the cows dry up whenever possible.

 

3. Playing weirder/quirkier acts off as nothing but jokes meant to be ridiculed.

 

Basically what I feared after Howard left has come true and all the good-will the show had generated with variety acts over the years is being done away with in favor of sob stories. There's still enough greatness this season for me to keep watching and be interesting but it's going to be a hard fight going forward.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Frankenstein123 said:

 

2. Manipulative sob stories milked until the cows dry up whenever possible.

While like I said in the other post the vote totals should be shown this is what I meant by rigging. The placement of when the act goes on in the show and the sob stories have a huge effect. Also what I was trying to get at in the other post I made a couple weeks ago is the editing on the TV makes some acts look a lot better than they appear and since the TV audience has way more votes than the audience in question that is what is going to advance. The producers know this thats why the sob stories are so prevalent, the order is changed to their favor etc. Which kind of goes against the point of the show I think. This is supposed to be something that can perform in a vegas show. While some of these things look great on TV, in person they look terrible and if the vegas show is live its weird how the TV audience decides who wins. If anything since they are competing for a chance to be featured in a live vegas show shouldn't the audience vote instead? Example : some of those light and shadow acts look amazing on tv, but they just don't translate well on a live stage and it almost looks fake at points, but the magic of TV makes them look 10000 times better. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Frankenstein123 said:

11: 5 Alive - A quick glance at their website (which hilariously enough reveals the fact they were scouted to be on AGT right on the front page) would have you believe they were a parody group straight off of SNL, complete with "amusing" (read:cringeworthy) fake facts, fake names (obviously ages too) and songs making fun of old boy band tracks...yet on the actual show they were played almost straight, I say ALMOST because they were over the top, but weren't funny enough to be considered a good joke act nor talented enough singers to compete with better groups on the show. 

Where do you see that it says they were scouted? I couldn't find it on their website

Share this post


Link to post

Some thoughts I had- one that no one mentioned yet, what was up with that school administrator??? The heavy set one in a bikini swinging from a pole? Why on earth did she go through? I can't believe she's a school administrator that's so humiliating and looks bad for the school in my opinion. And she wasn't even good?

Next: the subway singer has a song on itunes? It was released in december of last year. Anyone know anything about this? Was this from when he was on the late, late show? He was good, but not great. What I loved was when he held the note loud and strong. But his vibrato was very strange. He kept moving his mouth up and down and it's not necessary to do that when you sing. 

Brandon Rogers was phenomenal. Such a loss, seems like such a great man. He sounded so much like stevie wonder. 

Did anyone else think that both of the mirror twins were gay? No offense, but that's strongly how it came across. But one said he has a gf for 4 yrs, not that it means anything. They could sing fine but the tone of their voice was chalk board on nails annoying. Nothing special at all. Any kid from theater class could do what they did. 

5 alive looked way older that 21. Especially the one with the hat. 

side note: I still cant believe they swindled us into believing that opera cab driver from last week just sang to his customers and someone thought he was good enough to be on agt, when in fact he's traveled the world as a professional opera singer. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, MissSunshine said:

Some thoughts I had- one that no one mentioned yet, what was up with that school administrator??? The heavy set one in a bikini swinging from a pole? Why on earth did she go through? I can't believe she's a school administrator that's so humiliating and looks bad for the school in my opinion. And she wasn't even good?

While I've seen better on a pole, I wonder if she was holding back in order to keep going. AGT basically expects better and better, and too many people do too much in the first act, then get cut down the line because they can't top themselves. 

The pole dancer (imo) did well enough to get through regardless of her size. I certainly enjoyed watching, and I hope we see more of her. 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, MissSunshine said:

Next: the subway singer has a song on itunes? It was released in december of last year. Anyone know anything about this? Was this from when he was on the late, late show? He was good, but not great. What I loved was when he held the note loud and strong. But his vibrato was very strange. He kept moving his mouth up and down and it's not necessary to do that when you sing. 

 

Exactly how I feel. I've seen better musicians on the subway. An above-average singer at best. 

2 hours ago, MissSunshine said:

Did anyone else think that both of the mirror twins were gay?

I'll just say I wouldn't be stunned if that was the case. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, MissSunshine said:

Where do you see that it says they were scouted? I couldn't find it on their website

If you check "the boys" section then the first thing they mention is "To top it off, they were contacted with a real world special invitation to audition for hit talent competition show Americas Got Talent". It's not the biggest deal in the world or anything, but I found their wording amusing considering they seem REAL proud of the fact they were invited to audition rather than doing it themselves.

Edited by Frankenstein123
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Meushell said:

While I've seen better on a pole, I wonder if she was holding back in order to keep going. AGT basically expects better and better, and too many people do too much in the first act, then get cut down the line because they can't top themselves. 

The pole dancer (imo) did well enough to get through regardless of her size. I certainly enjoyed watching, and I hope we see more of her. 

I just feel there are better and more fit dancers at a lot of clubs. I definitely do not have any problem with an overweight dancer, but I know most of America would not pay to watch a heavy one on a pole :( And I just feel like if I was a teenager and my administrator decided to dance on a pole in a bikini on national television, I would have a hard time taking her seriously. I guess we'll have to see how it goes. Maybe she has more up her sleeve like you said

Share this post


Link to post
47 minutes ago, Frankenstein123 said:

If you check "the boys" section then the first thing they mention is "To top it off, they were contacted with a real world special invitation to audition for hit talent competition show Americas Got Talent". It's not the biggest deal in the world or anything, but I found their wording amusing considering they seem REAL proud of the fact they were invited to audition rather than doing it themselves.

You know what, I'm starting to think that half of these acts are contacted to appear on the show. It would definitely make sense. Like I was thinking maybe Puddles the clown was seen on youtube and called in. That probably means 5 alive knew they were going through. As well, all of their individual instagrams were made in april 2017

Share this post


Link to post

I meant to ask all of ya'll. Did anyone notice that the girl that was dance indoor sky diving was not performing live but on a screen projector? After she was done you see the projector rolling up. How is she to perform live then for future shows? And as cool as it was to watch, isn't doing in prerecorded really not fair to the other contestants?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I thought 5 Alive was a spoof group auditioning for Magic Mike. 

The Golden Buzzer...yawn. 

The knife guy was hard to watch, I would've hit my X button too.

Tango group: I've seen better. A lot better  

Really liked: the comedian and the father/son stunt act. 

Enjoyed: the pole dancer and the street singer. 

Over: people balancing on random things and piped in crowd noise

Edited by healthnut
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, MissSunshine said:

You know what, I'm starting to think that half of these acts are contacted to appear on the show. It would definitely make sense. Like I was thinking maybe Puddles the clown was seen on youtube and called in.

Puddles is somehow connected with Haley Reinhart and Post-Modern Jukebox.  Haley was on Season 10 of American Idol, and although Simon was not a judge at that point, I can't help but think that there is a connection there.  Kind of like Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon.

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, MissSunshine said:

You know what, I'm starting to think that half of these acts are contacted to appear on the show. It would definitely make sense. Like I was thinking maybe Puddles the clown was seen on youtube and called in. That probably means 5 alive knew they were going through. As well, all of their individual instagrams were made in april 2017

Yeah, that would seem likely. On one hand it's unfair towards the acts that audition regularly, but on the other hand it's probably given us some of the more interesting acts so I'm not sure how I feel about it all yet.

15 hours ago, MissSunshine said:

I meant to ask all of ya'll. Did anyone notice that the girl that was dance indoor sky diving was not performing live but on a screen projector? After she was done you see the projector rolling up. How is she to perform live then for future shows? And as cool as it was to watch, isn't doing in prerecorded really not fair to the other contestants?

Oh yeah, she was. Although it's nothing new for the show, they've done pre-recorded outdoor segments during the live shows plenty of times before with the motorcycle stunt guys and the flyboarder for example. They will either have a feed from the outside or a pre-recorded segment done hours earlier.  I would cry foul, but pretty much any act that has tried this has been eliminated early on so it actually seems to be a disadvantage to NOT be on stage live when it comes time to vote.

Share this post


Link to post
23 hours ago, MissSunshine said:

You know what, I'm starting to think that half of these acts are contacted to appear on the show. It would definitely make sense. Like I was thinking maybe Puddles the clown was seen on youtube and called in. That probably means 5 alive knew they were going through. As well, all of their individual instagrams were made in april 2017

It's true.  I was googling for more info about Dr. Brandon Rogers after his audition episode left me in tears.  I found several articles about how he had been discovered by AGT producers from an instagram video he'd posted of himself singing a cover of Boyz II Men's "On Bended Knee."  The producers contacted him and asked him to be on the show. 

You know, I don't mind at all if reality talent shows recruit people to audition if it results in better contestants. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

im watching the rerun tonight of the show and i was thinking five alive look like they are in their 30s. why did they say there hasnt been a boy band in a long time? there was one direction

that Argentine dance group was hot.

heidi could have gave a golden buzzer to a much better act. why did that girl get a buzzer cause her parents are divorced?

id rather see less of the stupid acts . that time could be better spent showing some of the acts that are breifly shown i would have liked to have seen more of that act with the woman putting puppets on her feet.

it's so tragic brandon died. he was such a smart,talented man.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Brandon got to sing with his idols Boyz ll Men. They saw a video of him singing their song On Bended Knee and invited him to sing with them in Las Vegas. He was with them for 3 night.

Edited by suebee12
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

So sad about Brandon Rogers. I had read an article about that a month ago, around the time that he died. He was already such an accomplished young man, he could have gone on to do so much more.

I don't know what order the auditions were taped in, but Heidi's Golden Buzzer really came off as it being the last day and she was running out of acts to use it on.

So every year are we going to get a surprise Village People gimmick? I'm not complaining.

Those twins were insufferable. Christ. I feel bad for the kids who have to go to school with these dweebs. Also thanks, AGT, for giving me the second pair of siblings in a single season that gives me "way too close to be appropriate" vibes. Seriously, what two sixteen-year-old brothers are all over each other like that?

Lmao at 5Alive wanting to bring back the Backstreet Boys/NSYNC type of boy band. I agree with Simon, the style is so outdated. Leave it in the late 90s/early 2000s where it belongs. You don't hear people going around saying stuff like, "You know what we're missing these days? A really good disco act."

I liked the knife guy. It actually felt legitimately dangerous, and it was something different.

I have a hard time believing the subway singer makes that much money, well, singing in the subway, but maybe my own personal views on the practice are influencing it. I don't mind people who perform in the station, but the people who come into your car on an express train (like the A/D from Columbus Circle to 125th Street) and hold you captive with a performance you did not ask for and had not planned on paying for drive me nuts. Most people just wanna listen to their own music or read their book and be left the hell alone. I find it really difficult to believe that anyone can make a living doing that.

Count me in as someone who doesn't mind the show recruiting acts. If it makes for better talent, I'm fine with it. I went to a dance thing with my studio about 5 years ago and they were recruiting there. One of my friends, who was like third in the world for Irish dancing at the time, considered auditioning, but the application forms needed a lot of information that she didn't have on her and she just wasn't prepared.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I liked the Five Alive boy band. They were fun and their singing was no worse, and better than, some of the "golden buzzer" singers. The Mirror Image brothers were total self-absorbed douches and I hated every inch of their "act." I'd rather see Hero the Pirate Dog AND Pumpkinhead all day long than those two jerks. The acrobat father and son was weirdly creepy yet fascinating at the same time. I were the pole dancing school administrator, I would have maybe not mentioned my occupation. But whatever. I liked the Subway Singer and was glad he got some tv time. I didn't agree with MelB. He's more talented than the Mirror Image Douche Brothers. But what do I know. I would have rather seen the Foot Puppet woman. Simon obviously has a list of upcoming acts and questions to ask on that sheet of paper he keeps waving around. And Brandon at the end made me cry.

Sorry, I cannot edit posts. I meant to write, "If I were the pole-dancing school administrator ..."

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I liked the Five Alive boy band.  

The subway singer was good--up until the last 15 seconds or so.  Before then, he was sounding very nice and mellow, but he didn't need to stand up there and go into "growl" mode or whatever that was, to end the song.  And then he did this weird thing with his mouth at the end.  I think that's what turned MedB off as well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/13/2017 at 10:36 PM, MissSunshine said:

I meant to ask all of ya'll. Did anyone notice that the girl that was dance indoor sky diving was not performing live but on a screen projector? After she was done you see the projector rolling up. How is she to perform live then for future shows? And as cool as it was to watch, isn't doing in prerecorded really not fair to the other contestants?

Yea theres separate times they tape these. If you look on the ticket website you will see sessions just for acts like this. As someone else said though can't think of many acts with this much setup required that advanced too far.

Share this post


Link to post

This show will always be "Cowellized" because he created AGT as well as BGT and all the other GTs.  He owns the show so he is not only Executive Producer, but he hires the producers who scout and book all the acts.  While acting as judge, he might not be aware of every act that his team puts on the stage, but after all, everyone who works at AGT works FOR Simon and the show will always reflect his preferences on what makes a good show.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I'm assuming the Judge's cuts were taped before Brandon Roger's death? If thats so I wonder if he made it through the judges cuts and was one of the acts going to the quarter finals. I'm curious to see if that did happen if it airs or they will just not air him performing during this next round. 

Share this post


Link to post
54 minutes ago, anthonyd46 said:

I'm assuming the Judge's cuts were taped before Brandon Roger's death? If thats so I wonder if he made it through the judges cuts and was one of the acts going to the quarter finals. I'm curious to see if that did happen if it airs or they will just not air him performing during this next round. 

He did go forward as we saw but died before the next round, so was a contender. 

Edited by wings707

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 9:04 AM, LadyMustang65 said:

This isn't Queen for a Day - it's America's Got Talent. 

But that's the problem. This show has always had a huge dose of "Queen for a Day." (One of the earliest shows I remember watching as a little kid)

 

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 7:37 AM, Destiny007 said:

Simon's golden buzzer wasn't really a singer.  His was the young female ventriloquist. 

But her act was singing "Summertime," so arguably she was still a singer. Ditto what others have said about the girl who got Heidi's Golden Buzzer. Nothing special at all. Might not have even gotten a char turn on The Voice. Apparently now Golden Buzzers are reserved for young girl singers, especially those with sob stories. And none of the ones who got it this year were really that special. (Neither was Grace der Vaal, IMO)

 I could've done without that growl at the end, but otherwise I thoroughly enjoyed Mike Yung. He has a classic soul voice, and he sang with real feeling, while avoiding the vibrato and other vocal tricks we see so much of on this show. Mel's dislike of him seemed almost personal. I feel like there was something else going on, because otherwise I can't understand how she could hold him to such a high standard when she goes nuts over some really crappy acts. (ie Dancing Pumpkin Man).

I've known a few people who performed in the subways, and if you have the physical and emotional stamina to be out there all day, you can make a living. You won't get rich, but remember, it's a cash business. No taxes.

If I had not known that Brandon Rogers had passed away, I think I still would've liked his singing. And I definitely still would've been impressed by him as a person. He had a great life ahead of him. So sad.

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 1:23 PM, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

I think the only person from this entire show moving forward that I'm rooting for is the unnamed woman who "danced" inside the practice skydiving wind machine.

Thank you for the info that it was a wind machine, because I kind of didn't get what was going on. And I feel bad for the people who get put through but because they only show an edited clip we never get to hear their name. But we hear the names of a lot of bad acts who don't get through.

I think I would've rather watching that pole dancing "Godzilla" (show in a montage) then the pole dancing school administrator.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, wings707 said:

He did go forward as we saw but died before the next round, so was a contender. 

He didn't die before the next round. The auditions were taped in March which we saw his performance this past week. The judges cuts were taped in either April or May which we will see over the next few weeks. He didn't die until June so he definitely performed in the next round. No clue if we will see that aired though. 

 

Auditions - March

Judge Cuts April-May

Quarterfinals - Not yet taped will be live starting in August.

So he definitely was there for the second round. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Another thing that struck me about Brandon was that even with his talent and love of music, he went out and did something with his life. We've seen other performers on this show, with less talent than that, who act like the world owes them a living as a singer.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Heidi's golden buzzer was a complete embarrassment and definitely the worst of the 5. That girl was not good, and even the sob story was lame. Divorced parents? You and millions of other kids, honey. She might do okay at a middle or high school talent show, but AGT? She should've gotten 4 nos and been told to come back in a few years when she's had more time to practice her craft. And a golden buzzer? Please. I'm assuming she was originally placed last in the show, but then they switched her with Brandon. Thank goodness. She belongs at the very beginning where she'll be forgotten by the end of the show. Awful.

 

And Brandon... sigh. Very sad. I feel like he would've been one of the very few singers this season that I actually would've rooted for. He seemed so nice, so genuine, just an overall great guy, and a good singer too. What a loss.

 

I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I really enjoyed the boy band. I'm honestly not sure if they're a joke or not. Their singing wasn't the greatest ever (they were better than Heidi's GB), but I liked it, and I enjoyed their dancing. I love boy bands, so I might be a little biased. I'm not sure I believe that they're all under the legal drinking age, particularly the guy in the hat. He's pushing 40. He probably wears the hat because he's already balding. But I look forward to seeing them again because I thought it was fun.

 

I'm also a little embarrassed to admit that I liked the mirror twins. The singing was not good, and the dancing was mostly silly. For me it was a comedy act more than anything. They were sassy and hilarious to me. I can't imagine they'll make it to the live shows but I do look forward to seeing them one more time because they were a lot of fun.

 

Father and son duo were good but I'm guessing we just saw pretty much every trick they can do.

 

So Heidi loved the pathetic golden buzzer girl but wasn't sure about the Subway singer. Okey dokey.

 

Rolla bolla dude was good but won't get past the first live round just like every other rolla bolla act on this show.

 

Veggie cutting act... WTF? I did not like that.

 

6 weeks into auditions and I still have not seen an act that I think would be a deserving winner, besides the roller skating siblings.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I just finished last weeks show yesterday. I had too many things to do so it took me a while...lol!

I'll keep this brief since the cuts are happening tonight. Brandan Rogers would've been a real threat to win it all. With a Stevie Wonder like voice, he was one of the best singers this season, if not the best. RIP Rogers.

I agree with everyone here, too many sob stories, too many fake audiences reactions, and too many lousy acts going through.

Finally, the judges cuts are here!

 

Until next time..... 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 10:37 AM, Destiny007 said:

Simon's golden buzzer wasn't really a singer.  His was the young female ventriloquist. 

Actually, she was a singer who could do ventriloquism.

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 11:25 AM, anthonyd46 said:

While like I said in the other post the vote totals should be shown this is what I meant by rigging. The placement of when the act goes on in the show and the sob stories have a huge effect. Also what I was trying to get at in the other post I made a couple weeks ago is the editing on the TV makes some acts look a lot better than they appear and since the TV audience has way more votes than the audience in question that is what is going to advance. The producers know this thats why the sob stories are so prevalent, the order is changed to their favor etc. Which kind of goes against the point of the show I think. This is supposed to be something that can perform in a vegas show. While some of these things look great on TV, in person they look terrible and if the vegas show is live its weird how the TV audience decides who wins. If anything since they are competing for a chance to be featured in a live vegas show shouldn't the audience vote instead? Example : some of those light and shadow acts look amazing on tv, but they just don't translate well on a live stage and it almost looks fake at points, but the magic of TV makes them look 10000 times better. 

I think you don't understand this show at all. 

The main purpose of this show is to draw ratings.   Back stories mixed with talent does that. 

There is no voting until the acts are all featured, so everyone has a chance.   The judges take care of the early rounds, so what is shown on TV doesn't matter.

The Vegas show is just for the contestants and it's only a one time deal.  Any act can do that.

It's silly to accuse a show of rigging.  They are trying to create an audience and they push a good show.

It's just that simple.

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, Parker said:

I think you don't understand this show at all. 

The main purpose of this show is to draw ratings.   Back stories mixed with talent does that. 

There is no voting until the acts are all featured, so everyone has a chance.   The judges take care of the early rounds, so what is shown on TV doesn't matter.

The Vegas show is just for the contestants and it's only a one time deal.  Any act can do that.

It's silly to accuse a show of rigging.  They are trying to create an audience and they push a good show.

It's just that simple.

They still are doing a massive amount of mind manipulation by putting on certain acts last and having massive sob stories. People tend to remember things they saw last rather than first. I also thought they changed it to where you can vote during the entire show instead of after the show ends. 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×