SilverStormm

Miracle Workers

Steve Buscemi In, Owen Wilson Out as TBS' Daniel Radcliffe-Led Comedy Miracle Workers Recasts Co-Lead

TVLine has learned that TBS’ forthcoming heaven-set anthology comedy — starring Harry Potter himself Daniel Radcliffe as a dutiful angel — has recast the role of the Lord Almighty, with Boardwalk Empire‘s Steve Buscemi  stepping in for Owen Wilson.

I think I really like this development. Nothing against Owen Wilson, Daniel Radcliffe was the draw for me here, but I'm excited to see Buscemi in this role.

News on the show from TCA, but no premiere date yet...

When creator Rich was asked at TCA today why [Owen] Wilson left, the EP said, “We just had different creative visions and parted ways, but I’m ecstatic to be with the cast I have here on stage” which included [Daniel] Radcliffe, [Steve] Buscemi, Karan Soni and Geraldine Viswanathan.

Coming soon!

Created by Simon Rich, who also was behind FXX’s Man Seeking Woman, the limited series premieres February 12 on TBS...

Craig (Radcliffe) is a low-level angel responsible for handling all of humanity’s prayers. His boss, God, pretty much has checked out and is ready to move on to his next project, with the knowledge that “Earth is in big trouble — it’s a mess.” The Almighty’s plan is simply to blow up the planet and move on. To stave of global annihilation, Craig and fellow angel Eliza (Geraldine Viswanathan) must answer a seemingly impossible prayer: help two humans fall in love. Karan Soni plays Sanjay, God’s right-hand man.

S1.E1: Two Weeks

Frustrated with the mess that earth's become, God contemplates the end while two determined angels try to change his mind.

Original air date: 2/12/19

I enjoyed it.  It wasn't fabulous.  I'm not sure I'm down with God being a complete nitwit that has to be managed by his majordomo as a premise.  It doesn't seem as clever as maybe the show's creator thinks it is.  I did like Craig removing one snowflake at a time in order to reveal the lost keys.  

"Please let everyone just chill out in Twitter..." I think that was one of mine 😉 

Its no The Good Place, as far as existential heavenly comedy goes, but i will see where it goes from here. 

• Like 2

Reminded me a little of the play "Steambath", where God is a Puerto Rican steambath attendant, who does all kinds of horrible things to people, then brings nice weather to Puerto Rico (he must have been sleeping during the hurricane, though).

In my mind, that's not GOD, it's just the CEO of God, Inc. That makes the premise more tolerable for me.

Also, I amuse myself by calling it "Touched By A Bureaucrat"

Edited by possibilities
  • Like 1

My favorite part was at the beginning in the Bereau of Volcanoes, when the alarm goes off and the workers look around, then continue drinking their coffee!