SilverStormm

Restored

Biakbiak, I am assuming you are talking about the 1948 California ranch episode.  Yes, he looked stunned that they wanted to gut that kitchen, and make it look like every other kitchen we see on HGTV renovation shows.  I didn't mind the resulting kitchen, and thought that is was more functional than the original one.  I loved the butler's pantry/bar/storage area.  I think I would have replaced the wallpaper in the breakfast room with another paper though.  I like the look of wallpaper, and I think this is one area where it would have been totally period appropriate.

The pink and cobalt blue bathroom was stunning, and I was glad to see the pink.  I would have installed a pocket door between the dressing area and the bedroom though.  He commented on how much he liked the pocket doors in the rest of the house and I thought he would install one there.  The dressing area was small, so having a pocket door would have saved some wall space I think.

I noticed in the reveal that the steel windows had been painted black which really makes them pop.  This is one of the things I like about this show - they work on the curb appeal as well as the interior. 

I've noticed the last couple 40/50's house people seem to be the ones who want to modernize and open concept. Which makes me sad because mid-century California ranches are my favorite.

I don't think Mrs. 1948 explained the show to her husband, cause Mustache McFirefighter was all "don't you guys usually gut the kitchen?" She also seemed against the colored toilet/bath set which is one of the best parts of mid-century bathrooms!

And Brett so sounds like the Californians from SNL.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, laredhead said:

I didn't mind the resulting kitchen, and thought that is was more functional than the original one. 

I hated the built in table and it seemed much less efficient than the origninal layout.

Why did Brett put in cream kitchen cabinets in this week’s episode (1928 Craftsman) when the homeowner specifically stated that she wanted a white kitchen? I hate it when he combines cream cabinets with white countertops and backsplashes. It just looks ugly. JMO. I liked the rest of the house though, especially the fireplace. 

I thought it ironic that Mr. Firefighter stated he wanted an historic home but then went on to state he wanted an open concept kitchen living area.  Those two things are an oxymoron.  I liked the yellow in the kitchen better, just thought it could have been brought down in color a little.  

The 1948 ranch was one of my least favorite shows. I lived in one of those house growing up and if it was up to me, I WOULD gut the whole thing because of its cramped, tight layout, much like this house. Our house had salmon and baby blue tiles, a color combo that does not work. Those original cabinets warp like crazy, even when they are well cared-for. In this house, I didn't like the kitchen tiles and I really didn't like the pink and black bathroom tiles. In the final kitchen layout, the stove is too far from the sink.

The reason someone replaced a metal window with a vinyl one is that single pane metal windows are TERRIBLE for letting heat and cold go right through them, via both the frame and the glass. While the cold is not as much of a problem in Corona, heat will be. Sure, that was a horrible cheap vinyl window with very thick frames, but it could have been replaced with a double pane fiberglass in dark bronze that would have looked fine AND been more efficient.

Sorry, Brett, normally I love you.

On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 11:36 PM, biakbiak said:

I wish for a followup mainly to see where they all put their televisions.

My major beef with the show.  Especially in these smaller houses, Brett usually doesn't have a TV anywhere (there was one show where the carpenter did huge built-in for a TV in a very small den).  It's just now how people live today.