Jump to content
ottoDbusdriver

S28.E18: A Father's Watch

Recommended Posts

Episode description:

Worried that Bart is destined for failure, Marge turns to a series of parenting "experts" for advice. Homer decides to cash in on one expert's advice by opening up a trophy store in Springfield. Meanwhile, Bart finds some needed encouragement from Grampa, who gives him a precious watch coveted by Homer.


 

Share this post


Link to post

The poor Sixers. I was surprised to see that NBA commissioner Adam Silver actually guested as himself.

I liked this ep so much more just because of this whole recent every child gets a ribbon/trophy/medal just for being there/don't want to hurt their feelings phenomenon. I still don't understand it and I still don't like it. Of course Marge and the other parents would fall for it. I actually LOL'd when Homer announced he was following the GUT method, hee!

Thanks for the ear worm, Simpsons. You're the best around, nothing's ever gonna keep you down...

Share this post


Link to post

Intro: <no intro>

Billboard: <no billboard>

Chalkboard: Studying is not "Appropriating Nerd Culture"

Note: shortened sequence after Bart bounces off Barney, and goes directly to Homer pulling into the driveway

Couch Gag: The couch and living room are filled with animals that have been featured in episodes over the years. Including:

  • Pinchy the lobster from Season 9
  • Spiderpig/Plopper
  • Laddie (the dog Bart bought with SLH's credit card) from Season 8
  • The Bolivian tree lizards from Season 10
  • Santa's Little Helper and some of her puppies
  • Snowball 2
  • Mr. Teeny
  • Jub-Jub -- Selma's pet iguana
  • The Screamapillar from Season 13
  • Stampy the elephant from Season 5
  • Pokey the Guinea Pig from Season 25
  • Strangles the python from Season 18
  • The cow that says "Tomacco" from Season 11
  • One of the Raccoons that lives in the Simpson's garage
  • Princess the pony from Season 3
  • Nibbles the school hamster
  • Bongo the dog (Homer's boyhood dog)
  • One of the pigeons eaten by the Bolivian Tree Lizards


The Frog Heaven bit was funny -- poor George could not catch a break.  Followed up later in the episode with Fetal Pig heaven -- both of the pigs seemed pretty happy about the treatment of their remains.

Bart's report card showing Lunch as incomplete was funny (and there was 4 Fs, and 2 Ds -- but that was expected).

The name of the book the speaker was selling was called "The Myth of the Imperfect Child".  Now that's funny.
Even funnier was the first mouse that died from low self-esteem in the testing.

Luann: "Trophies -- so that's the easy answer."
Chief Wiggum: "If Ralphie's shelf says he's a winner, then he'll be one." 
Moe: "And Moe yells a 3rd thing to feel part of the group".

Why would Moe even be there since he has no kids ?

Loved the use of the song of "You're the Best Around" from the movie 'The Karate Kid' throughout the episode.

I like how Lunch Lady Doris was ladling out trophies just like she serves any other lunch item.

I liked the title of Lisa's paper -- "The Erosion of True Accomplishment".  Of course she got a trophy just for doing it, and throws it away in disgust only to retrieve it.

Bart (to Grandpa): "Your dad didn't believe in you either."
Grandpa: "It wasn't his fault. He was just focused on his career as a professional child beater.  Men would come from 5 towns over to study my father's technique, but no matter how many strangles he patented his father never approved."

Of course these child beating lessons were taught at Professor Simpson's Universal Panacea for Disagreeable Juveniles.

Written on the blackboard during the 2nd Grade Math Pentathlon -- 1+3=Ralph.  Which got Ralph 9th place.

Is this the first time we've seen Lisa writing on the chalkboard as punishment -- she was writing "Everybody's a winner"

I liked the 2nd speaker -- Dr. Fenton PoolToy, and his book "Atrophy: The Weakening of the American Child".  Atrophy = having no trophy.  That's clever.

Dr. PoolToy: "Too much praise creates Millenials".   Hah ! Now that's funny.

Chief Wiggum: "He's got a word made of other words. He must know what he's talking about."

Sideshowmel: "Why does 'of' sometimes count in the acronym and sometimes not ?"
Chief Wiggum: "Shut up Mel, your kids live in Nebraska with your mom."

That's pretty harsh Clancy.

Sign over Homer's Garage: End of Fad Sale. Now-Worthless Trophies 15% Off

Liked the book titles at the end:

  • GUT -- Give up Trying
  • A Father's Watch, by Homer J. Simpson
  • The B.A.R.N.E.Y Protocol -- A John Homer Mystery, by Homer J. Simpson


Colleges and player names seen on the big screen during the NBA draft:

  • Brigham Old -- Close-up "Magic" Johnson
  • Miami of Ohio of Spain -- Jesus White
  • SUNY-Pittsburgh -- DeMarcus Uncles
  • Manhattan School of Mines -- Robert McLarry
  • The Sorbonne -- Hakeem Parsons
  • Middle Valley Western Reserve-- Abraham Lincoln
  • Springfield Elementary -- Ralph Wiggum
  • L.S.U -- Cody Harris
  • Panathinaikos Thessonloniki (Greece) -- Tzatziki Spanakopita
  • Brandeis -- Hebron James


Springfield Elementary After School Happy Hamsters -- go Hamsters !!

This episode was definitely longer than a typical episode --  even with the shortened sequence at the start of the episode, the credits didn't even begin until 8:29pm

Overall, a solid B+ episode.  Way better than Kamp Krustier.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Kaboom 2.0 said:

The poor Sixers. I was surprised to see that NBA commissioner Adam Silver actually guested as himself.

I liked this ep so much more just because of this whole recent every child gets a ribbon/trophy/medal just for being there/don't want to hurt their feelings phenomenon. I still don't understand it and I still don't like it. Of course Marge and the other parents would fall for it. I actually LOL'd when Homer announced he was following the GUT method, hee!

Thanks for the ear worm, Simpsons. You're the best around, nothing's ever gonna keep you down...

I thought the "everyone gets a trophy" was really dated. My son's 30 years old, and they were doing it back when he was a 5 year old soccer player. 

Share this post


Link to post

Is this the first time we've seen Lisa writing on the chalkboard as punishment -- she was writing "Everybody's a winner"

Doesn't Mr. Largo sentence her to chalkboard writing punishment in the ep Lisa's Date with Density for, in his words, being a snicker puss? Nelson suggests that she use that four prong chalk holder on the board to write "I will not be a snicker puss" or something like that four times at a time vs writing it once at a time using just one piece of chalk. 

How could I have missed the screamapillar in the couch gag?! Must re-watch...

Share this post


Link to post

I didn't quite get the line about Millenials. According to wikipedia 'Millenials' are usually counted as being born from around 1980 or so to 1996 or so so Bart is at least ten years to young. Actually Homer is closer to being a Millenial.

Share this post


Link to post
On 20/03/2017 at 3:23 PM, ottoDbusdriver said:

Couch Gag: The couch and living room are filled with animals that have been featured in episodes over the years. Including:

  • Pinchy the lobster from Season 9
  • Spiderpig/Plopper
  • Laddie (the dog Bart bought with SLH's credit card) from Season 8
  • The Bolivian tree lizards from Season 10
  • Santa's Little Helper and some of her puppies
  • Snowball 2
  • Mr. Teeny
  • Jub-Jub -- Selma's pet iguana
  • The Screamapillar from Season 13
  • Stampy the elephant from Season 5
  • Pokey the Guinea Pig from Season 25
  • Strangles the python from Season 18
  • The cow that says "Tomacco" from Season 11
  • One of the Raccoons that lives in the Simpson's garage
  • Princess the pony from Season 3
  • Nibbles the school hamster
  • Bongo the dog (Homer's boyhood dog)
  • One of the pigeons eaten by the Bolivian Tree Lizards

The monkey was Mojo from "Girlie Edition", not Mr. Teeny. The raccoon was the Homer raccoon from "Smoke on the Daughter". I think the pigeon was supposed to be the one from "How Munched is That Birdie in the Window?". I'm surprised the cow wasn't Lou from "Apocalypse Cow". And no one working on the show remembers the rabbit from "Exit Through the Kwik-E-Mart".

On 23/03/2017 at 1:30 AM, Lazlo said:

I didn't quite get the line about Millenials. According to wikipedia 'Millenials' are usually counted as being born from around 1980 or so to 1996 or so so Bart is at least ten years to young. Actually Homer is closer to being a Millenial.

The line was about stopping Bart's generation from turning out how millennials did.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 0:23 AM, ottoDbusdriver said:

Sign over Homer's Garage: End of Fad Sale.

I trust Homer has had that sign around for a long time now and this is just the first time that we have seen it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×