Galileo908

S28.E17: 22 For 30

Working for the School's paper, Lisa covers Bart's success when he becomes a star basketball player at Springfield Elementary; things go awry when Bart gets involved with the Mafia.

Intro: Air Dingus!

Couch Gag: Weird doodles by Bil Plympton!

Haven't seen any 30 for 30 documentaries, but this was pretty decent. Sure, it was Bart The Murderer crossed with Bart Star, with Behind The Laughter's documentary device tossed in.

Apparently Chalmers was a founding member of Steely Dan? I also loved Abe's chyron: "Retired Bag Boy." Milhouse was great in this episode as well as, of all characters, Louie.

"Stephen Curry did not appear in this documentary." Until he did.

I actually liked this episode, not really because it was funny but that it was such a good story (and focused compared to some other episodes). Although, the Dolly Parton jokes were hilarious and I liked that they just continued to use her as Krusty's main punching line in his "stolen/bought" jokes. 

Also damn, I love the song Skee-Lo's I Wish and I was very happy that they used it in this episode (long live the 90s!).

Edited by TVSpectator
  • Like 1

Man, I love love Skee-Lo's "I Wish" and was pleasantly surprised to hear it on this episode. I honestly can't recall if I've ever seen a 30 on 30 documentary but actually enjoyed the Simpsons' take on it. I only know Anger Watkins from this past week or so of Tapped Out, was this his first time on the Simpsons? I did enjoy hearing his angry pontificating vs just reading it on Tapped Out. 

Has Dolly Parton ever guested on the Simpsons? She seems like such a good sport IRL, one that would totally spoof herself on this show. 

• Like 1

I don't think she has; maybe she will now! Perhaps Lurleen can come back for that, too.

I don't know who Anger Watkins is based on, and I'm pretty sure it was his first appearance.  And no, I won't be spending donuts on him.

Love "I Wish"; nice callback to my youth to hear that song.

Have Lisa and Bart played every major sport at this point?  Basketball, baseball, football, hockey, soccer?  Plus gymnastics, ballet, tap, boxcar racing ... what am I forgetting?

7 hours ago, Kaboom 2.0 said:

Man, I love love Skee-Lo's "I Wish" and was pleasantly surprised to hear it on this episode. I honestly can't recall if I've ever seen a 30 on 30 documentary but actually enjoyed the Simpsons' take on it. I only know Anger Watkins from this past week or so of Tapped Out, was this his first time on the Simpsons? I did enjoy hearing his angry pontificating vs just reading it on Tapped Out. 

Has Dolly Parton ever guested on the Simpsons? She seems like such a good sport IRL, one that would totally spoof herself on this show. 

I think that this was his first appearance on the actual show (and I also play Tapped Out so I know exactly what you mean). 

6 hours ago, beadgirl said:

I don't think she has; maybe she will now! Perhaps Lurleen can come back for that, too.

I don't know who Anger Watkins is based on, and I'm pretty sure it was his first appearance.  And no, I won't be spending donuts on him.

Love "I Wish"; nice callback to my youth to hear that song.

Have Lisa and Bart played every major sport at this point?  Basketball, baseball, football, hockey, soccer?  Plus gymnastics, ballet, tap, boxcar racing ... what am I forgetting?

Didn't Bart and Lisa play curling as well or was that Homer and Marge?

Dolly Parton was in season 10's "Sunday, Cruddy Sunday". Krusty knew who she was in that episode.

Bart does have previous experience with basketball. He and Milhouse were on the Canadian Olympic basketball team in "The Bart Wants What it Wants".