SilverStormm

Counterpart in the Media: Prime Coverage

Well, the show got royally snubbed by the Emmys

I know these awards have less to do with talent than popularity but not even a nod to JK Simmons? Barf

• Like 2

On the Emmys thread, someone pointed out how unlikely it is that any of those doing the nominating actually watched all the submissions these days—which made me wonder if J.K. was glossed over because he wasn't in the sex scenes. Regardless, @Coxfires post^^ then led me to search for information on the nomination process and who does it. I gave up at this: https://www.backstage.com/news/who-are-emmy-voters/ . I also gave up trying to verify whether or not an entry was even submitted on behalf of J.K., but I did find this slightly comforting bit of humor at https://www.cinemablend.com/television/2448859/the-biggest-snubs-from-2018-primetime-emmy-nominations :

I bet he [J.K. Simmons] would have gotten nominated in Prime Earth's Emmys, though.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1

J K Simmons and James Cromwell together?  Can we stand so much talent in one scene?

10 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

At the end, did James Cromwell say "End this war"?

He said "You are a gentle man.  And this is war."

Can't wait!

• Like 2

The new characters seem promising 

I hope they continue to expand the universes as well as S1 did, can't wait !

Edited by Coxfires
  • Like 2

https://www.forbes.com/sites/merrillbarr/2018/12/01/counterpart-season-2-review-justin-marks-amy-berg-j-k-simmons-howard-silk-olivia-williams-harry-lloyd-james-cromwell-starz/

This really got me hyped for the season To come. One of my nitpick was that the direction was a bit slow at times despite loving the story (and I read many comments about people not keeping up with the show because they found it boring,  which is a shame), so reading that this aspect has been improved pleases me greatly 

• Like 2

‘Counterpart’ Not Getting Third Season On Starz, Shopped To Other Nets By MRC

Starz has opted not to renew the J.K. Simmons-starring drama Counterpart for a third season. The February 17 Season 2 finale of the sci-fi espionage thriller, from creator/executive producer Justin Marks and executive producer Jordan Horowitz, will be its series finale on Starz. Counterpart producer MRC is currently shopping the show to streaming platforms.

• Sad 1

I was just thinking after last night's episode that if there was no third season, at least it seemed they'd be wrapping it up more than what I dimly recall of Rubicon.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I was just thinking after last night's episode that if there was no third season, at least it seemed they'd be wrapping it up more than what I dimly recall of Rubicon.

OTOH, looks like Marks is really hoping the studio can sell the show to another network.

So they may not have fully wrapped up all the plots.

• Like 1

Not surprised with today's news (as I heard the rumors) but still extremely disappointed STARZ failed to recognize they had a good show from the start and failed to promote it properly.

Good luck finding another network!

I hope a colony of bees make a permanent home on the executive floor in the STARZ building! 

1 hour ago, mxc90 said:

hope a colony of bees make a permanent home on the executive floor in the STARZ building! 

Bees give honey. Maybe fire ants instead? Although if STARZ had some magical bee honey, they could afford to give Counterpart more seasons.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, shapeshifter said:

Bees give honey. Maybe fire ants instead? Although if STARZ had some magical bee honey, they could afford to give Counterpart more seasons.

I want these executives inconvenienced in any way possible!

1. Never having enough toilet paper or paper towel on their floor

2. The thermostats are always malfunctioning and it's always warm/cold in the offices

3. A fire drill everyday (must walk down and back up 30+ flights of stairs)

4. TV in the conference room is stuck on loop showing Counterpart.

• Like 1

It killed itself, IMO. I watched every ep, and really liked the series. But from the third or fourth episode of season one, I wanted more about the two worlds, and less of the Cold War spy stuff.  The latter I can get many places. The two worlds, why they exist, what they offer, how people view them (beyond who used a flu virus to kill people) ... much harder to find. 

This sucks, but I'm not surprised.  I was hoping they would get one more season to wrap things up.

I'm most disappointed that the producers didn't see the handwriting on the wall early enough to fashion an acceptable end point "just in case". What a disservice to the loyal fans! Other at risk shows have managed to fashion a last episode that would work as both a show and season finale. 

35 minutes ago, Mommaj said:

I'm most disappointed that the producers didn't see the handwriting on the wall early enough to fashion an acceptable end point "just in case".

Are we sure this wasn't done?

I’m just hoping the Starz producers don’t think the ratings difference between the two seasons was because of the difference of Baldwin lesbian sex scenes. Because I thought the lack of it was better was because they thought of better things to do with the plot, but that doesn’t mean the network guys realize this. 

• Like 3

Well, it's done now.  I liked the finale and I think they did a pretty good job closing the series out and leaving just enough open for another season if they get picked up by a streaming service. 

I think a couple of the reasons the ratings were so low for such a great show is that they didn't introduce the origin story of the world split until too late in the series.  That should have been worked into the series much earlier.  Also, they should have made the world split 20 years ago rather than 30.  Then, Baldwin's young age would make more sense, and, though I love the Howards and Emilies, I think the main characters were too old for a general audience.  If they'd made the split 20 years before, they could have had main characters who were in their 30s.  (I am in an older age range myself.  I'm just thinking about general audience appeal).

Edited by RealityCreator