Galileo908

S28.E15: The Cad and The Hat

Title Screen: Vote Linoln/Washington balloons!

Couch Gag: Homer had to go through Robot Chicken, the California Raisins & South Park to get the sailboat painting back! That was great.

Apu walking his kids with an Octupus was a great sight gag.

"The Bone? That's exactly what I'm bad to!"

I enjoyed that EVERYONE liked Lisa's hat. I even liked her daydream. Trump getting turned into a troll doll is a...decent first President Trump joke of the show? Also, the opening/closing with Bart & Lisa seemed pointless.

It took 28 years to not only feature a bit about Chess but also Bart imagining a demonic personification of his guilt. It was good to see Patton Oswalt back doing something. I also like how Bart got Lisa's hat out of the cube: get rod & Todd to pray to levitate the car, then burn it through a pool of Buzz Cola. Yeah...that's something that happened on this show.

• Like 2

That was an ok episode, but I'm just not buying Homer as a chess prodigy as a child. Or ever. Let alone that he suddenly remembers it all.
Just didn't find it all that funny.YMMV.

Not sure why that 2nd end scene with Nelson and his mom was necessary.

Also liked Rod and Todd and their gnarly telekinetic powers (I liked how their noses bled afterwards), but it's all ok with Ned since Jesus was working miracles through them.  And also like acidic properties of Buzz Cola.

Liked Homer telling his guilt demon to get in line with the 7 deadly sins demons.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

That was an ok episode, but I'm just not buying Homer as a chess prodigy as a child. Or ever. Let alone that he suddenly remembers it all.
Just didn't find it all that funny.YMMV.

Just last week he couldn't remember the guy who fed him hot dogs as a kid. Seems to be a theme this season.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Just last week he couldn't remember the guy who fed him hot dogs as a kid. Seems to be a theme this season.

The problem is they keep going back to that same idea over and over again.

What do the writers do -- sit around after running out of ideas and try and determine what memory Homer has blocked out this week ?

Loved hearing Patton Oswald, lol'd at Homer conversing with Robot Chicken's nerd and Lisa perusing Springfield's hat mug shots in search of Sunny. And now I know who Magnus Carlsen is (besides being Carl's cousin, heh heh), I truly enjoy discovering interesting people by their cameos on this show.

• Like 1

On re-watch, I completely missed all the BORT license plates in Sunblock Sam's shop.  Bart can't ever catch a break -- first Itchy and Scratchy land, now here.

Turning Trump into a troll doll was a nice not-so-subtle dig.

Chess player: "Checkmate.  The only mate I haven't buried."

Homeless guy (pointing to Homer's seaweed covered head): "That is the most disgusting thing I've ever seen on the beach. Kinda sad really."
(as he climbs in to the decomposing corpse of a beached whale and curls up for a nap in the innards).

Items on the Krusty Combos menu:

• Krustyburger
  • Krustyburger Jr.
  • Krusty Khicken
  • Ribwich (it's back on the menu)
  • Kharter Pounder
  • Khicken Knuggets
  • McKLT
  • Khicken Kaesar Salad
  • Karne Asada Tacos
  • Khicken Khimikhanga

The Olmec Head in the basement makes a re-appearance (no sign of Bender though)

Hats in the Hat mugshot book:

• Bowler
  • 10 Gallon
  • Chef
  • Fedora
  • Top Hat
  • Shark
  • Pork Pie
  • Robin Hood
  • Pith Helmet
  • Fez (I wonder if it was Grandpa's Fez)
  • Cheese Head
  • Valkyrie Helmet

Lisa was eating Not-So-Cheerios for breakfast after her hat went missing.

The list of gifts that Bart tries to bribe Lisa with:

• Cupcake
  • The Poems of Emily Dickinson -- read by Elizabeth Warren
  • Cruelty-free Saxophone reeds (from wood that fell off)
  • Bart's Piggy Bank
  • Hammer
  • Bunny

Nelson: "A bunny and a hammer.  My Mom did say bring home dinner."

Bart: "My hat !!"
Gil: "My Car !!  And my House !!"

• Like 3

On re-watch, I completely missed all the BORT license plates in Sunblock Sam's shop

"We are out of Bort license plates. I repeat we are out of Bort license plates". One of my favorite episodes.

I did love all the callbacks to other episodes and I loved the Robot Chicken stuff in the opening. The chess thing was okay but I did like the Bart/Lisa story. I guess the bumpers were just to fill time because they seemed pointless.

• Like 3

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 8:32 PM, Galileo908 said:

Couch Gag: Homer had to go through Robot Chicken, the California Raisins & South Park to get the sailboat painting back! That was great.

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 9:51 AM, xander874 said:

I did love all the callbacks to other episodes and I loved the Robot Chicken stuff in the opening. ...... I guess the bumpers were just to fill time because they seemed pointless.

He could have gone over to you-know-who's cartoon and accused him of stealing the painting. After getting into another fight with him, you-know-who would have said "Look, I may have stolen a lot of jokes from you and your show, but I didn't take your crappy painting."  That would have used up enough time so we would not have needed the bumpers at the end.

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 0:50 PM, ottoDbusdriver said:

Items on the Krusty Combos menu:

• McKLT

Ah Yes, McDLT.  "Keep the hot side hot, keep the cool side cool." 

You then are supposed to bend the styrofoam container so that the top half flips over onto the bottom half of the burger (which I could never pull off).

McDonald's eventually stopped using Styrofoam containers for ALL of their burgers (They had Styrofoam containers for Big Macs, Quarter Pounders, Filet O' Fish, (You may want to stop clicking on these links, Lisa) McMuffins, McRibs, you name it) because people naturally complained that the stryofoam would be in landfills forever.  They renamed the McDLT the "Big N' Tasty" (I'm not sure if they still sell that or not).

Anyway, why am I not surprised that Krusty probably STILL uses Styrofoam containers.

"Hey Hey!! I paid good money for these Styrofoam containers.  I'm going to use every last one of these.  The hell with the environment."