Brianne Chantal

The Sounds of Our Lives (formerly General Music Discussion)

I wasn't sure where topost this, but I guess here is as good as any place. I had MTV on in the background & I heard a song that sounded familiar but wrong. This is the song, Don't Think About It by Justine Skye

It was driving me crazy trying to figure out what was so familiar about it until I finally thought of this song, You Don't Know Me ft. RAYE by Jax Jones

Listen to You Don't Know Me at 0:45 & then listen to Don't Think About It at 1:33. Is it just me or is the music the same, just slowed down in Don't Think About It?

50 years old today! Happy Birthday, Lisa!

She's released three albums of her own. 

Edited by UYI
  • Like 1

I didn't realize Graham Nash was 76 today until I heard a tribute on the radio. I don't think I've heard much more beautiful harmonies than his work with CSNY. Maybe The Mamas and the Papas, but the female voices make it an apples-to-oranges comparison. Some of the Eagles' songs are really good, but they don't hit me quite the same.

• Like 2

Tomorrow night, Justin Timberlake will be performing in the Super Bowl Halftime Show, but a lot of other people are choosing instead to appreciate someone else who had the same show a long time ago.

• Like 2

Child, please. Rihanna is entering her 14th minute of fame. I saw her on the Grammys. She’s already starting to look like somebody’s sexy auntie.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, 27bored said:

Child, please. Rihanna is entering her 14th minute of fame. I saw her on the Grammys. She’s already starting to look like somebody’s sexy auntie.

In my defense, that wasn't my tweet. :)

I can't help it, I still love her and think she looks great. I turn 29 in two days; I'll look to her (not JUST her, mind you) as hope for my big 3-0 next year. 

Meghan Trainor's lead-off single from her upcoming album is HERE!

I wasn't quite sure where to post this, because, there's not really a thread on classic rock, Zeppelin, Robert Plant, etc.  So, I'm putting it here.  It's an interview of Robert Plant by Dan Rather.  It sounded so odd, I thought it was a mistake. but, it's not.  I only saw just a bit, before I had to get a project finished. I hope to pick it back up and watch in its entirety tomorrow.  I think it aired originally last night. 

http://www.axs.tv/originals/the-big-interview-robertplant-sp/

• Like 1

"We need to start a girl riot."

The words--spoken to in a letter by Bratmobile band member Jen Smith wrote to friend/fellow band member, Allison Wolfe--that launched a movement as much as it did a subgenre of punk rock in the early 90's.

I REALLY wish a Riot Grrrl revival would take place, especially now.

Your place for talk about the Riot Grrrl bands and legends that made up the movement. Bikini Kill, Sleater-Kinney, all of them.

It should be noted, however, that Hole was technically NOT a part of the Riot Grrrl movement, with Courtney Love criticizing certain aspects of it many times, and even mocking them in the Hole song "Rock Star (Olympia)"

And I must recommend The Punk Singer, a terrific documentary on Kathleen Hanna, available on Netflix.

GIRLS TO THE FRONT! 

20 years ago today, country music lost its First Lady. I thought of posting this in the country thread only, but her fame transcended the country music industry enough that I thought it was appropriate to post this here. Tammy Wynette was only 55 when she passed away, but her voice lives on. (And yes, that is her in my avatar, also pictured below.)

Today is also the day 2 years ago that her friend Merle Haggard passed away...a day that was also his 79th birthday. Compared to some of the other celebrity deaths of 2016, Merle's tends to be a bit over-looked (not helped by the fact that Prince died very shortly after he did), but his fame also transcended country music enough to warrant mentioning that here, too. 

So here's a clip of them performing together...and clip of him performing at her memorial service. ("That's the best I could do, and it's not very good, but...Goodbye, Tammy.")

tammy1.jpg

• Like 2

One more thing:

Dolly Parton's speech and performance at Tammy's memorial service, which was held three days after her passing (there was a private funeral earlier in the day, then this, a public memorial service at the Ryman Auditorium, which was broadcast live on both TNN and CNN). If you haven't seen this before now, fair warning: you may start crying around 9:30. I know I always do.

• Like 2

I'm watching the video for "Finesse" by Bruno Mars & started wondering about all the dancers. All of them are about the same height as Bruno, & when you watch his other videos, you see the same thing. It's probably not a problem with the females, but do you think they have trouble finding male dancers that short all the time? I wouldn't think there are a ton of 5'5" dancers around to choose from.

Aw, poor Huey. I love him. :(

(He lost most of his hearing and has to cancel all of his band's shows this year.)

Huey's message to his fans:

Ryan Adams has Meniere's disease, and he performs, so whatever that's worth.

On 4/10/2018 at 1:07 AM, GaT said:

I'm watching the video for "Finesse" by Bruno Mars & started wondering about all the dancers. All of them are about the same height as Bruno, & when you watch his other videos, you see the same thing. It's probably not a problem with the females, but do you think they have trouble finding male dancers that short all the time? I wouldn't think there are a ton of 5'5" dancers around to choose from.

I wonder if he has a group of dancers he works with a lot in part because it might be hard to find male dancers the right height.

6 hours ago, GaT said:

Danielle Bregoli, has been nominated for a Billboard Music Award, under her rap name Bhad Bhabie for Top Rap Female Artist. Along with Cardi B & Nicki Minaj. How did that happen? I mean really, how did that happen? 

that's not Billboard's fault, cause their nominations are mostly based on stats and she charted. So the people who streamed her songs are at fault lol.

• Like 1

I assume this is the Cash Me Out girl? Well no worries, I'm sure Cardi B has that award on lock. 

In other music news, Kendrick Lamar became the first Hip Hop/Rap artist and first non-Classical/Jazz artist to win the Pulitzer Prize for Music, for his album DAMN. , which is a pretty huge deal. I posted about this in the Grammys thread because yes, I couldn't help noting that this is the same album that of course lost AOTY, as has all his other albums.

But in all seriousness, this is truly an amazing achievement on his part and more importantly, well deserved. Kendrick is unquestionably, in my opinion, one of the most talented and prolific artists (not just Rap/Hip Hop) making music right now. Here are some interesting articles about his win. 

New Yorker magazine discussing what his win means in a larger context.

The runners up for the award saying how they feel about losing to Kendrick (spoiler - they are thrilled for him).

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Like 2

After the tragic bombing that occurred at her concert in Manchester last year, it is SO good to see Ariana Grande back with a new single again. She has earned whatever success she gets from this point on now, and then some.

• Like 1

So Kanye West posted his new single on his website: http://www.kanyewest.com/

The nicest thing I can say is that he still has his producing talent. I think Chicago wrote the lyrics, though.He really should have just left it as an instrumental.

Hell has truly frozen over, because Sweden's favorite band is finally back, even though they actually once turned on a BILLION dollar offer to reunite for a tour in 2000. 

What are your favorite ABBA songs? 

I have many, but here are two:

Edited by UYI

Ugh...

I love Christina and I’m glad she’s back, but I’m tired of this bullshit.

In this article she’s complaining about how confined she felt doing the Boice and how they would tell her how to dress and how to act. Christina, that’s called TV. If you want to make six figures for a few hours of work a week and barely promote your music and not tour and go home every night and marry production assistants and have two kids, that’s what you have to do. 

She sounds just like she did when she was twenty and promoting Stripped. Except now she’s 37 and still acting like her dad won’t let her wear a midriff to the mall. 

• Like 2

On one hand, I agree with her. The Voice sucks. I stopped watching it because I was tired of the sob stories and seeing fantastic vocalists sent home in favor prepubescent mumble singers. And if I were her, I would have quit the minute they signed me up for that Whitney Houston hologram fuckery.  But yeah, she's not Cher or Cyndi Lauper. Her brand isn't about being authentic or outlandish. They hired her because she was a diva that they could afford. She had a sweet gig, all she had to do was sit in a chair and collect money.

At this point, I either want Christina to bring back her Back to Basics or even her Stripped era sound or just give up the entertainment industry all together. She's not a great actress, she's not interested in hosting TV, she doesn't seem interesting enough for reality TV, and we aren't interested in her dance music. Get it together, Xtina.

Not going to comment on The Voice stuff because I don't really care, as I've never been a fan of the show. But I heard the new single and I just think at this point Christina's like that person who just keeps missing the mark on what's cool and fresh and interesting. She's trying but it's like she's still just stuck in this dated box. Christina is proof that an amazing voice alone is not enough. I just don't think at this point she gets it - gets what's hot, what works best for her, etc. I guess it's back to doing features for other artists. I mean it's not a bad gig - she gets paid and her name still shows up if they got nominated for anything. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Not going to comment on The Voice stuff because I don't really care, as I've never been a fan of the show. But I heard the new single and I just think at this point Christina's like that person who just keeps missing the mark on what's cool and fresh and interesting. She's trying but it's like she's still just stuck in this dated box. Christina is proof that an amazing voice alone is not enough. I just don't think at this point she gets it - gets what's hot, what works best for her, etc. I guess it's back to doing features for other artists. I mean it's not a bad gig - she gets paid and her name still shows up if they got nominated for anything. 

And THIS, right here, is why Britney, in spite of being a less gifted singer (GREAT dancer, though), ultimately outdid her in terms of success, that and her boundless charisma/sweet personality (not that they really were ever similar artists, certainly not as time went on, but the comparisons were there from the beginning due to their debut albums being around the same time/their MMC backgrounds). Granted, she's not at the level she used to be, either, but still. 

And yet, in the case of Demi and Selena, their most obvious successors (in terms of starting at Disney/going on to pop stardom), I FAR prefer Demi to Selena. Go figure. 

Edited by UYI
  • Like 1

Just now, UYI said:

I FAR prefer Demi to Selena.

That's because Selena's music sucks. Selena Gomez' success as a "singer" is one of those baffling world mysteries to me that I don't think I will ever comprehend. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, truthaboutluv said:

That's because Selena's music sucks. Selena Gomez' success as a "singer" is one of those baffling world mysteries to me that I don't think I will ever comprehend. 

I almost snorted a second ago. It's not a funny statement, per se, but the bluntness of it opening your comment killed me.

You're totally right, though. I do like some of her songs (It Ain't Me is a guilty pleasure, I'll admit it), but...yeah. She should probably stick to acting. 

1 hour ago, truthaboutluv said:

I heard the new single and I just think at this point Christina's like that person who just keeps missing the mark on what's cool and fresh and interesting. She's trying but it's like she's still just stuck in this dated box. Christina is proof that an amazing voice alone is not enough. I just don't think at this point she gets it - gets what's hot, what works best for her, etc. 

I heard the song & I thought it sucked, have you seen the video? It's really bad. She's dressed in an oversized tracksuit (is that still a thing in hip hop?) & they keep doing close ups of her mouth or her licking something, & at one point she even makes a V over her mouth. She's still trying to push the "I'm so sexy" crap & failing. In addition, the song is co-produced by Kanye West, who is also credited as a composer and lyricist, & this is really not a good time to be associated with Kanye.

3 hours ago, UYI said:

I almost snorted a second ago. It's not a funny statement, per se, but the bluntness of it opening your comment killed me.

What can I say, I calls 'em as I see 'em. 

Oh God. I hate to say it, but yeah, it might be a wrap for my girl. “Accelerate” is straight up ass, and I almost started crying through the video because of how bad and embarrassing it is.

First of all, I watched this little home video of Christina that was professionally shot. In it, she’s doing some weird approximation of Lemonade, with the voice over and whatnot. But it’s all about finding herself and shit and it’s like, Christina, you’re 37. You’ve gotta get over yourself. But beyond that, and the thing that bugs me is, she’s talking about all this self-love and self-acceptance with clearly augmented lips. I mean, her new mouth is really distracting. I kept staring at her lips the whole time wondering why she has Kim Kardashian’s mouth.

It’s the same thing she did during Stripped where she was talking about self-love after getting nose and boob jobs.

It's so tone deaf. If she got online more, she might realize that her entire career people have been begging and pleading with her to not do so much. Like, you don’t need the fire red lipstick and the pounds of makeup and the gaudy outfits. Less is more. But there’s an overarching tackiness to her aesthetic that she seems intent on not addressing.

But back to NuMouf. If the little trailer video wasn’t bad enough, she devotes the entire (budget) video to her NuMouf. I’ve doing that pout to make my girlfriend laugh all weekend. It’s ridiculous. And dude! There’s a part of the video where she STRAIGHT jacks Miley Cyrus’ Dead Petz album cover. I have to think that was intentional. There’s no way it was coincidental.

So, right now I’m not seeing it for her if the new album sounds like Accelerate. It doesn’t even sound finished, and the song sounds like three features thrown together, not a coherent song with two rap features. 

I was able to find a song that leaked called Fall in Line, and it sounds like a slight return to form for Christina. Heavy percussion, sort of a muted hip-hop vibe, but it works as a mid tempo pop song with plenty of runs and whatnot. 

To be honest, Christina should’ve made an album not unlike Demi’s latest, Tell Me You Love Me. A good number of those songs would’ve been well-served in Christina’s hands, especially the two singles. 

Edited by 27bored

Meghan Trainor has released two more promotional singles for her upcoming album, "Let Me Be Right" and "Can't Dance". I personally like the former a little better as of right now, but I'm still excited for the album!

And it's nice to see that "No Excuses" is still doing well enough to get pretty consistent radio airplay. I really like it a lot. It's only grown on me with time.

Here’s Fall in Line by Christina and Demi

I probably shouldn’t complain after I’ve complained about her lack of output over the past five years, but this...isn’t doing it for me. The original with just Christina was leaked several weeks ago, and I liked it even though I felt the tempo was a bit too slow. With Demi, it’s all over the place. That’s not a slight to either of them; it just doesn’t seem mixed well. It’s like they had Christina and Demi sing the chorus and add in their own runs. They should’ve had Christina re-record her version first. 

That being said, I like the song, self-empowerment anthem drum beaten to death aside. I do think it’s funny that Christina has this obsession with showing people the real her when all anyone has ever said about her is that she does too much. Christina, you can sing, maybe cool it with all the runs. Christina, you’re a talented vocalist, no need to slut it up to get attention to sell a record. Christina, you’re such a pretty girl, maybe stop shellacking on make-up. Other than her stank attitude, all anybody has ever said is she should do less. Maybe she finally got it at 37.

Edited by 27bored
  • Like 1

I don't like "Accelerate," but I love "Twice" and "Fall in Line." I've always been a Christina fan though. Britney was okay, never had the hate for her that her fans seem to hold for Christina. I'm fine with Christina throwing shade at The Voice, since I've never much liked the show. There's been a handful of contestants I've liked over the years, but the only people who really benefitted from its existence are Adam Levine and Blake Shelton.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I've always been a Christina fan though. Britney was okay, never had the hate for her that her fans seem to hold for Christina. 

I've always liked both of them, myself :). I haven't heard full albums by either of them since I was a teenager, but I've liked many of the singles I've heard from them over the years. Maybe sometime I'll poke around and check out some more of their non-singles. 

• Like 4

Britney always felt sort of for-the-moment for me, so I never got the hate for her. Plus, I think Britney had an opportunity around 2009-2011 to become an artist and she decided to keep making club music and collaborating with Will.I.Am, so I think I wrote her off as just an aging sexpot, not unlike Madonna but unlike Madonna. 

Christina has a slight lack of work ethic, which seems a little unfair to say except for the fact that her output is less than most of her contemporaries. 

I remember seeing a really low-budget documentary on Christina before her first album came out, and they interviewed someone who said Genie in a Bottle was a hit out of the gate, so Christina didn’t have to do a lot of the grunt level work that Britney did. Britney had to play malls and do the in-store appearances and stuff to pay her dues, but Christina didn’t. Partially because Christina was a good singer and her label really invested in her, but also: GIAB is a better song, IMO.

I think that has played itself out nicely over the two decades they have been in the business. Britney still has her work ethic, whereas Christina has the talent, but she kinda expects the label to do most of the promotional work. She either hits a lot of high notes or shows her ass and they do the rest. Doesn’t work that way, especially not now.

• Like 1

Speaking of '90s teen pop artists....Backstreet's back, alright!

I'm glad they are returning to their pop/R&B roots. The song is pretty catchy.

Edited by AgentRXS