Galileo908

S28.E12: The Great Phatsby

Mr. Burns seeks revenge against a musical mogul who conned him, with help from Homer, Bart, rapper Jesse James and the mogul's ex-wife; the richest kid in town demonstrates interest in Lisa; Smithers embarks on a journey; Marge opens a shop.

Hour-long gimmick episode time! Featuring the cast of Empire! (anyone watch that show? I don't.)

Edited by Galileo908

The advantage to the long runtime is that the writers can finally allow ideas to breathe. And also to stretch ideas out, they still had time to kill. 

But was it funny? Like most episodes made in the past many years, kind of. I probably would've gotten more out of this episode if I'd actually read the Great Gatsby. I also appreciated that most of the history of Hip-Hop was covered in this, mostly thanks to Milhouse (= Bart's friend). And then it became a spoof of Empire for five minutes.

They really nailed the Hamptons, though. Lots of pretentious stores owned by rich men's wives and filled with 19th century doctor kits for some reason.

I loved Homer's relationship with the goose. Even after it kept biting him, Homer still saved its life.

All in all, better than Family Guy's take on Gatsby.

• Like 2

Didn't really enjoy the episode -- it just wasn't that funny.  Who thought this would be a good idea for an hour long episode ?  

And how did Monty get his money back at the end of the episode exactly ?

But the only redeeming factor -- when Monty missed his basketball shot and Charles Barkley said "Still better than Shaq".  Now that was funny.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Like 1

Another complaint: Hardly any of the rapping was done by actual rappers. RZA, Common and Snoop were there but they had, what, two rap lines each?

• Like 1

It was also fun reading all the background stuff, especially in the Burns mausoleum. My favorite was Ebeneezer Burns: "The ghosts taught me nothing."

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

It was also fun reading all the background stuff, especially in the Burns mausoleum. My favorite was Ebeneezer Burns: "The ghosts taught me nothing."

Count Vlad Burns -- Father, Son, Impaler
Cordelia Burns -- Beloved Wife, Widow (repeated 24 times)
Chastity Temperance Burns -- Famed Beauty
John Wilkes Burns
Tom Marvolo Riddle Burns -- <something> dark lord
Benedict Burns -- I regret that I have but one country to betray

• Like 4

I truly enjoyed Milhouse's history of hip hop lesson, Praline calling Homer Boo Boo Kitty, and Homer's obsession with Goosious. Almost everything else was meh.

Oh and I've never been to the Hamptons but liked seeing the descriptions of all the Hamptons towns and who goes there, hee! 

Almost forgot to mention that I thought Charles Barkley was voiced by someone else tho I did lol at his "still better than Shaq."

Edited by Kaboom 2.0
  • Like 1

Oh I live on Lengthy, er, Long Island and the Hamptons were dead on. I stopped at one of those towns and felt like Homer going to the fancy bar, with the waiter request he leave without making a fuss.

• Like 1

That was worth it for the RZA, Common, Snoop, and Milhous explaining 90s rap. And the goose. 

The end kind of reminded me of The War Of The Roses, but that might be a stretch. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Like 1

I enjoyed this quite a bit more than I expected to.  I love the Great Gatsby, The Hamptons stores thing was dead-on (I live in Queens and visit the Hamptons occasionally; it's ... quite a difference), relying on white-nerd Milhouse for hip-hop history was adorable, and I got a kick out of Common and Snoop showing up.  But my favorite part was the snippets of Smithers' journey.