Jump to content
SilverStormm

I’m Dying Up Here

Recommended Posts

Dylan Baker is one of the best character actors out there, he is in everything everywhere. I don't know how he is doing it,  but I agree he is pulling it off as Carson.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I am not the world's biggest Cassie fan but I love the girl-buddy chemistry between her and Dawn and would totally be down for a spin-off of the two of them! Xosha Roquemore is a revelation (and just read that her real-life partner is LaKeith Stanfield, who is one of my absolute favorite actors ... that's a lot of talent in one household!)

ETA: I might be wrong on this but am pretty sure this is correct ... looking at Xosha Roquemore's IMDB, she's listed as having played "Actress # 3" in "Disaster Artist" ... My guess (I can't find the clip of this montage) based on my memory of the film is that she was one of the actresses auditioning to play Lisa, the role that went to Juliette Danielle, who is played in "Disaster Artist" by Ari Graynor. 

Edited by PamelaMaeSnap
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

I am not the world's biggest Cassie fan but I love the girl-buddy chemistry between her and Dawn and would totally be down for a spin-off of the two of them! Xosha Roquemore is a revelation (and just read that her real-life partner is LaKeith Stanfield, who is one of my absolute favorite actors ... that's a lot of talent in one household!)

Yes, one of the show's high points is that the cast has excellent chemistry and Dawn has been a fantastic new addition. I am sort of sick of Ron's self destructive arc. I know we are supposed to feel a little sorry for creative types who are stifled, but he is making so much money and non creative people have to suck it up and go do their jobs for much less until something better comes along.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I understand the need for realism - but maybe my disappointment in the show had to do with, "there is already so much to be depressed about - can't this show have a little happiness?!"

Thank you, Cindy Chupak for a little bit less of the downer in the latest episode.

Cassie is still not one of my favorites - especially after telling Goldie about Jessie.  She just comes across as very needy.

I loved that Adam stuck up for (still can't remember his name) Angarano's character - telling Cassie not to try and talk to him at that time.

Saw a bit more humanity in the Nick's character - he did stand up for the young boy in Tempe and standing up to the uncle.  Don't forgive, but understand why he cheated with Cassie and the drug use.

Bill. Still don't like Bill, but whatever. LOL every show needs a downer, I suppose - well he did get Nick to Tempe.

Still like Adam and Ralph - hope their show works out.

Goldie hopefully got through to her bratty daughter.

Edgar still is a character that has little development - but Al Madrigal is the reason I watch this show. (GO CATS '89) lol.

Absolutely love how the episode ended in the closet. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

God, this show makes me want to do drugs.

You never know how the execs work - I can't see how this show will survive. I hope at least they don't leave us hanging.

I'm not a Lebron fan at all, but I hated how Survivor's Remorse was yanked off of the STARS schedule.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Since Goldie does not pay any of her comics what do these guys do to pay the bills?  I only saw Eddie and his friend (nope can't remember all the names) and Ralph with steady work.  Things must've been dirt cheap back then.  That mic has some hold on people.  I saw a special on Reelz about Robin Williams that even at his peak he still did standup at this little club and even paid their bills to keep it open.

Really not a fan of Goldie as basically she is just using these comics and then bans them from going to other clubs like she is some comedy Don.  Her daughter set her straight about being raised at the club and Mom not having a clue what happened there.   Knowing the fucked up individuals there she leaves her young daughter to these people?  Way to go.  Dad by far is no better but sheesh drop the poor single mom schtick.  After awhile she had money to afford a babysitter.  Cassie can take several seats too.  Be very glad you had someone to raise your kid.  And you are not even funny.

Rant done

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

The issue about paying the comics or not is based on the true story of the real-life Goldie/Comedy Store and is covered in detail in the book "I'm Dying Up Here." The comics actually went on strike for quite a while (hope that's not a spoiler ... wonder if it's something they'll cover in a future episode ... how many are left?) and there was big rivalry between CS and Improv ... The "Santa Monica" club is also taken from true life where she opened up that second club as are the differences between who got paid what and where.

mytmo, I also JUST saw that Reelz story on Robin Williams ... for some reason, my TV defaults to that channel so I'm now caught up on lots of "true story" documentaries!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

The issue about paying the comics or not is based on the true story of the real-life Goldie/Comedy Store and is covered in detail in the book "I'm Dying Up Here." The comics actually went on strike for quite a while (hope that's not a spoiler ... wonder if it's something they'll cover in a future episode ... how many are left?) and there was big rivalry between CS and Improv ... The "Santa Monica" club is also taken from true life where she opened up that second club as are the differences between who got paid what and where.

mytmo, I also JUST saw that Reelz story on Robin Williams ... for some reason, my TV defaults to that channel so I'm now caught up on lots of "true story" documentaries!

Thanks.  I was wondering which comedy club this was based on.  

I thought Robin Williams is one of the funniest people of all time.  Was at Detroit Airport when I heard he died.  I go to Reelz for the autopsies but stay for the behind the scenes stories

Edited by mytmo
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Yes ... Comedy Store is the basis for this. If you like the show (I keep thinking I may be the only person who does!), definitely read the book! It's really outstanding and will not only give you some ideas of who SOME of the characters are based on, some loosely, some pretty accurately (for example, Cassie = Elayne Boosler), but will also shed a lot of light on some of the stories that were integral to the club and the period but are not being tackled in the series (David Letterman vs. Jay Leno). It's a great read!

One major departure is that in real life, Goldie/Mitzi's ex-husband was by all accounts a great guy and very supportive of her and the Store (he was the original owner but handed it over to her because he was a comedian who was, IIRC, Elvis Presley's longtime regular opening act in Las Vegas -- I think there was a bit of that backstory in Roy Martin talking about being Paul Anka's longtime opening act in Vegas, coupled with her bad guy ex Sid having originally owned the Club, right?) ... Also, in real life, she didn't have a daughter but a son, some kid named Pauly something. LOL.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

Yes ... Comedy Store is the basis for this. If you like the show (I keep thinking I may be the only person who does!), definitely read the book! It's really outstanding and will not only give you some ideas of who SOME of the characters are based on, some loosely, some pretty accurately (for example, Cassie = Elayne Boosler), but will also shed a lot of light on some of the stories that were integral to the club and the period but are not being tackled in the series (David Letterman vs. Jay Leno). It's a great read!

 

Is Ron in any way supposed to be Jimmy Walker? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
23 hours ago, sistermagpie said:

Is Ron in any way supposed to be Jimmy Walker? 

Do you mean Adam? We were wondering about that. He may be ... that probably is most likely answer  

For some reason though, since beginning of series, I had thought he was based on Franklyn Ajaye (one of my all-time favorite comedians) who was also a regular at CS but I have nothing to back that feeling up than just my first reaction. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

Do you mean Adam? We were wondering about that. He may be ... that probably is most likely answer  

For some reason though, since beginning of series, I had thought he was based on Franklyn Ajaye (one of my all-time favorite comedians) who was also a regular at CS but I have nothing to back that feeling up than just my first reaction. 

Believe it or not I did mean Ron, not Adam! Not completely, of course, since he's a white guy and nothing like Jimmy Walker, but the whole mailman "It's Benny Time" thing that angered the actors who felt the show used to deal with real problems seemed like Good Times getting swallowed by J.J. and the catch phrase "Dyn-o-mite!"

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/20/2018 at 4:36 PM, sistermagpie said:

Believe it or not I did mean Ron, not Adam! Not completely, of course, since he's a white guy and nothing like Jimmy Walker, but the whole mailman "It's Benny Time" thing that angered the actors who felt the show used to deal with real problems seemed like Good Times getting swallowed by J.J. and the catch phrase "Dyn-o-mite!"

Oh man, totally my bad!!! I hadn't even thought of that but yes, it makes total sense!!!

My mind just shifted to Adam because Mr. Snappy and I had just had long convo the other night about whether he was based on Jimmie Walker or Franklyn Ajaye LOL!

I wonder who (if anyone) Eddie is based on. I adore Michael Angarano. 

ETA: Just watched most recent episode and hubby thinks Eddie is based on Richard Lewis and I think that makes a lot of sense.

 

Edited by PamelaMaeSnap
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/19/2018 at 9:48 AM, mytmo said:

Cassie can take several seats too.  Be very glad you had someone to raise your kid.  And you are not even funny.

Are any of them funny on stage?  I don't know if their material is supposed to be of the era or what but none have them have ever been funny in a stand-up bit, they are all just cynical and crabby.

I liked not having Roy on this episode. With such a big cast, why would they focus on another disillusioned middle aged white male "antiheroes"?  It reminds me of the one and done HBO show Vinyl-let's center this show around the most overdone, cliched character.  Could also lose the daughter stuff.  I mainly enjoy the young guys busting on each other as friends.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I watched out of the corner of my eye - twice!

How did I miss Nick the junkie getting a radio gig?

Only a few more episodes left, I hope they tie everything up!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/25/2018 at 12:04 PM, ninjago said:

Are any of them funny on stage?  I don't know if their material is supposed to be of the era or what but none have them have ever been funny in a stand-up bit, they are all just cynical and crabby.

I liked not having Roy on this episode. With such a big cast, why would they focus on another disillusioned middle aged white male "antiheroes"?  It reminds me of the one and done HBO show Vinyl-let's center this show around the most overdone, cliched character.  Could also lose the daughter stuff.  I mainly enjoy the young guys busting on each other as friends.

The biggest weakness of the show is that the supposedly best comedians in LA are really not that funny on stage.  The biggest strength is that the comics have a great camaraderie that feels very authentic. I actually laugh much more at the put-downs between friends than the actual stage performances. I think the fact that the acts were not all that funny is what turned a lot of people off this show. It is ironic that you mentioned Vinyl because Brad Garret and Bobby Cannavale could probably be cast as brothers, as they are both tall kind of Olive skinned guys with deep voices. I really hope Mitch does not forgive Goldie for her stupid daughter's prank. I hate the fact that the slim possibility of being on Carson allows Goldie to manipulate the comics into providing slave labor while she rakes it in on drinks and tickets. I am glad that Bill is realizing that they are being taken advantage of and I really wonder how the hell some of them make a living wage. Being at the club all night is not conducive to having a nine to five job.

Edited by qtpye
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

What Cassie did on stage, during confrontation and afterward was so typical. I'm so glad she didn't go full victim and cry to Goldie about how threatening and scary Dawn was when pointing out Cassie's line stepping though.

Edited by red12
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

goldie and the person she is based on really did (do?) pull a fast on these, mostly literally, poor comedians. how did (do?) these club owners get away with it? not paying your help. i can see a one timer, but these are regulars.  so unfair. she's raking in the dough and using the excuse it is a school?

i like nick and i hate that he is doing drugs again. 

i tried to find the book this is based on but my library doesn't carry it and i'm not paying for it. is there somewhere where we can find out the real life counterparts to the actors?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/29/2018 at 2:32 PM, msrachelj said:

goldie and the person she is based on really did (do?) pull a fast on these, mostly literally, poor comedians. how did (do?) these club owners get away with it? not paying your help. i can see a one timer, but these are regulars.  so unfair. she's raking in the dough and using the excuse it is a school?

i like nick and i hate that he is doing drugs again. 

i tried to find the book this is based on but my library doesn't carry it and i'm not paying for it. is there somewhere where we can find out the real life counterparts to the actors?

The funny thing is that getting on Carson was not really a guarantee of anything. It was a great opportunity, but it really did not always mean you would have a secure career.

Share this post


Link to post

latest episode. goldie is really a money hungry bitch. i wish her daughter would keep her mouth shut about what she overheard. i'd really love to read the book! 

i can't believe brad garrett is getting electro shock therapy. looks like against his will. who committed him? 

did cassie's sister? legally adopt her son? she's not very sympathetic either. funny how so much was not talked about as late as the 70's.  

to the poster above who said ron is jimmy walker, i can see it now. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, msrachelj said:

did cassie's sister? legally adopt her son? she's not very sympathetic either. funny how so much was not talked about as late as the 70's.  

I don't have much thoughts about her as a character in her own right because she seems to just mostly be there to be in conflict with Cassie, but it really does seem like all of Cassie's interactions with that kid are inappropriate and selfish. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, sistermagpie said:

I don't have much thoughts about her as a character in her own right because she seems to just mostly be there to be in conflict with Cassie, but it really does seem like all of Cassie's interactions with that kid are inappropriate and selfish. 

I think Cassie is feeling the pangs of motherhood because her career is going nowhere. Her special was prempted by a storm and she blew her chance at SNL by having to take care of Nick. As a mother, giving her child up for adoption at a young age  to a loving family was an incredibly brave thing to do. Jessie seems to be happy and healthy. Cassie is mistaking being the fun aunt with being a mother. If she tells Jessie the truth now, she could really mess the kid up and that would be selfish. Melissa Leo is amazing as Goldie but she is really fucking the comedians over for her own benefit.  She refuses to pay them and bars them from performing at any clubs that would pay them. She is taking advantage of desperate people looking for a break. It was nice to see the season one people again and that they moved on with their lives in a positive way.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
25 minutes ago, qtpye said:

I think Cassie is feeling the pangs of motherhood because her career is going nowhere. Her special was prempted by a storm and she blew her chance at SNL by having to take care of Nick. As a mother, giving her child up for adoption at a young age  to a loving family was an incredibly brave thing to do. Jessie seems to be happy and healthy. Cassie is mistaking being the fun aunt with being a mother. If she tells Jessie the truth now, she could really mess the kid up and that would be selfish. Melissa Leo is amazing as Goldie but she is really fucking the comedians over for her own benefit.  She refuses to pay them and bars them from performing at any clubs that would pay them. She is taking advantage of desperate people looking for a break. It was nice to see the season one people again and that they moved on with their lives in a positive way.

Yeah, I agree about both. She doesn't seem to realize how serious her impulses towards wanting a partial do-over here are. Especially whens he does things so obvious as invite the one kid to Disneyworld without the others. A fun aunt wouldn't do that--a bio-mom would, but they didn't choose an open adoption so it's just flirting with the truth coming out. She even already had that bad moment at the wedding when she needed Jesse to give her the emotional feedback she was craving and he didn't and she got angry at him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, sistermagpie said:

Yeah, I agree about both. She doesn't seem to realize how serious her impulses towards wanting a partial do-over here are. Especially whens he does things so obvious as invite the one kid to Disneyworld without the others. A fun aunt wouldn't do that--a bio-mom would, but they didn't choose an open adoption so it's just flirting with the truth coming out. She even already had that bad moment at the wedding when she needed Jesse to give her the emotional feedback she was craving and he didn't and she got angry at him.

her sister not telling the child that his "aunt" is his mom is insane. it's gonna bite them all in the ass someday soon. not a secret you can keep. what are they thinking. honesty is best in most situations. like this one.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, msrachelj said:

her sister not telling the child that his "aunt" is his mom is insane. it's gonna bite them all in the ass someday soon. not a secret you can keep. what are they thinking. honesty is best in most situations. like this one.

I think that would probably be considered common sense today but at that time the standard thing to do would totally be this way. There's lots of people who only later in life discovered an aunt or a sister was actually their mother--maybe some never found out. But even if it certainly would be better for everyone concerned if this was out in the open, Cassie occasionally having bursts of wanting to have a special bond with a boy who doesn't have much feeling for her isn't honest either--she might not have wanted him to know at the time of his birth either.

I mean, one more advantage--or maybe disadvantage at this point in his life, maybe--is that if he knew Cassie was his mother he'd already be dealing with whatever emotions he might have about her not raising him herself and about having a different origin than his sisters. It doesn't seem like Cassie much wants to deal with that, specifically.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Early 70s Stones has to indicate that Ron ODed, right?

You know some grimy shit is going to happen when they bust out "Exile on Main Street" for the soundtrack.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Oh no, not Ron ! Damn. What a strange ending. Ron dies and Roy and Nick survive.

I enjoyed series 2. I know it wasn’t perfect and the comedy was lame, but many of the characters were interesting.

What was Bill’s deal do you think ? He was so overzealous during the strike then defeated in his final scene. He KNEW Goldie wouldn’t pay. We all did. Was it sinking in that it was the end of an era ? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, Diana06 said:

What was Bill’s deal do you think ? He was so overzealous during the strike then defeated in his final scene. He KNEW Goldie wouldn’t pay. We all did. Was it sinking in that it was the end of an era ? 

It felt to me like Bill just always has bottled up hostility at so many people and this was his hostility at Goldie coming through. Any opportunity to be angry and resentful will get Bill on board! 

11 hours ago, Diana06 said:

Also, what are your views on Ron’s OD. Was it implied that it was intentional ?

He was certainly acting like someone who was suicidal, though I didn't think the idea was that it was literally intentional suicide on his part. (Perhaps intentionally risky, though.) I thought his agreeing to do the spin-off series was played like that was his suicide and that whole final night was him living the life he actually loved one last time, just hanging out with his bff and goofing around. 

It was interesting thinking on how anybody looking at the events of his life (like maybe watching Ron's E True Hollywood Story in the 90s in this universe) would see a guy who seemed very different from the real guy. The Carson appearance, the wedding, quitting the show, the drugs, his castmates hating him, the expensive house, the overnight success. He'd seem like much more of an asshole than he actually was--and his dying of an OD wouldn't seem like a surprise or even much of a tragedy. 

But in person it played to me at least like the type of person who had problems nobody could really see. It's hard to really understand why he was so tortured by the Benny thing--I mean, to the point of being so self-destructive and unable to get any perspective on it. Would have loved to see Eddie's reaction (though I see him swimming in the pool as the better ending, of course)--I really liked their relationship. Much more than Cassie's endless sensitivity about people calling her a bad mother by proxy!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Okay, I'm curious if anyone else would make even a slight distinction between Ron OD'ing by simply sitting there, doing too much coke, and dying on the couch versus having a heart attack caused as a result of the coke AND the manic overt-exertion (granted, prompted by copious amounts of cocaine) ... his manic skating and skating and skating and not being in great physical condition since he's kind of a lard-ass ... I thought the shots of his face being contorted were his having a heart attack. Not sure he would have had one had he just been hanging out on his couch. 

I think we all knew someone(s) was going to die but props if anyone here had Ron first on their list. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/18/2018 at 12:46 AM, Adultosaurus said:

6/17 episode - I'm out.  

Yeah - I deleted 5 episodes (unwatched) from the DVR last night.  I'm not digging in this season.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, sistermagpie said:

He was certainly acting like someone who was suicidal, though I didn't think the idea was that it was literally intentional suicide on his part. (Perhaps intentionally risky, though.) I thought his agreeing to do the spin-off series was played like that was his suicide and that whole final night was him living the life he actually loved one last time, just hanging out with his bff and goofing around

Yes that’s kind of what I was thinking. It wasn’t ACTUAL suicide but he had been flirting with danger for quite awhile. He seemed to have given up on the last night.

It was interesting thinking on how anybody looking at the events of his life (like maybe watching Ron's E True Hollywood Story in the 90s in this universe) would see a guy who seemed very different from the real guy. The Carson appearance, the wedding, quitting the show, the drugs, his castmates hating him, the expensive house, the overnight success. He'd seem like much more of an asshole than he actually was--and his dying of an OD wouldn't seem like a surprise or even much of a tragedy. 

That is a really insightful comment. I have met people like this who start behaving like assholes but are actually good people underneath their demons. He didn’t seem to realise how he was affecting people in the end. His cast mates for example.

Sorry Magpie I quoted you incorrectly. I am new here and I stuffed up the formatting.

Anyway great comment!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

As a professional stand up Comic I really like this show. What I can’t figure out is what characters are supposed to be depicting what famous comics? For instance is a Brad Garrets character supposed to be a famous comic or are they all fictional?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, sistermagpie said:

It felt to me like Bill just always has bottled up hostility at so many people and this was his hostility at Goldie coming through. Any opportunity to be angry and resentful will get Bill on board! 

He was certainly acting like someone who was suicidal, though I didn't think the idea was that it was literally intentional suicide on his part. (Perhaps intentionally risky, though.) I thought his agreeing to do the spin-off series was played like that was his suicide and that whole final night was him living the life he actually loved one last time, just hanging out with his bff and goofing around. 

It was interesting thinking on how anybody looking at the events of his life (like maybe watching Ron's E True Hollywood Story in the 90s in this universe) would see a guy who seemed very different from the real guy. The Carson appearance, the wedding, quitting the show, the drugs, his castmates hating him, the expensive house, the overnight success. He'd seem like much more of an asshole than he actually was--and his dying of an OD wouldn't seem like a surprise or even much of a tragedy. 

But in person it played to me at least like the type of person who had problems nobody could really see. It's hard to really understand why he was so tortured by the Benny thing--I mean, to the point of being so self-destructive and unable to get any perspective on it. Would have loved to see Eddie's reaction (though I see him swimming in the pool as the better ending, of course)--I really liked their relationship. Much more than Cassie's endless sensitivity about people calling her a bad mother by proxy!B

2

I think Bill kind of looks at Goldie as another parental figure that had failed him. Also, Bill is in the stage of his career where he realizes that even though he has talent, he is never going to be a superstar. This being said, he had a valid point about Goldie taking advantage of the comedians. I would have found Ron's downward spiral hard to believe, but we just had a couple of extremely talented people commit suicide and the outward success just did not make him happy.

Edited by qtpye
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, qtpye said:

I think Bill kind of look at Goldie as another parental figure that had failed him. Also, Bill is in the stage of his career where he realizes that even though he has talent, he is never going to be a superstar. This being said, he had a valid point about Goldie taking advantage of the comedians. I would have found Ron's downward spiral hard to believe, but we just had a couple of extremely talented people commit suicide and the outward success just did not make him happy.

Totally agree with all of this. I definitely think that Goldie inspires a certain kind of sensitivity in Bill because she's like a parent--even better that he's actually completely correct about how she's taking advantage of them. It dovetails perfectly with his father whose approval he seemed to seek so much without getting anything in return. She could just withhold things because she could. I always thought that was part of what made Bill such an unfunny comic (although as always it's unclear whether he's supposed to be funny or not in this universe). The way he couldn't turn that father into comic material.

The more I think about Ron the more interesting he is because he was the comic who didn't seem tortured. He was clearly unhappy at being known as Benny the Mailman instead of a good stand up comic, but from just knowing him I would have thought he had the ability to step back and laugh at that. Enjoy the money and look for ways to do other things to make a better career for himself. It's only in retrospect that you have to assume there was more going on.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, Stevegnh said:

As a professional stand up Comic I really like this show. What I can’t figure out is what characters are supposed to be depicting what famous comics? For instance is a Brad Garrets character supposed to be a famous comic or are they all fictional?

my library does not have the book and i'm not going to buy it. why isn't there a spot here on the facebook page where it explains what character is supposed to be the real life who?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

It seems to me that they’ve wrap everything up pretty tight this season. Makes me wonder if there’s any more to tell since it’s based on what really happened. I wonder if they’ll be a season 3?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I hope there is a season 3. I really like the show. 

BTW, at the end I was surprised only one of them died. I was expecting something terrible to happen to almost all of them. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/9/2018 at 8:12 PM, Stevegnh said:

As a professional stand up Comic I really like this show. What I can’t figure out is what characters are supposed to be depicting what famous comics? For instance is a Brad Garrets character supposed to be a famous comic or are they all fictional?

For some reason Brad reminded me of Jackie Gleason. But, I assume the character is a composite since there are no references to him being a formerly successful television star or doing movies later in life.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

As a professional stand up Comic I really like this show. What I can’t figure out is what characters are supposed to be depicting what famous comics? For instance is a Brad Garrets character supposed to be a famous comic or are they all fictional?

I can add some insight here. Just borrowed the book on interlibrary loan because I didn't want to buy it. The story is very specific about a lot of 70s up and coming comics who hung out and worked together at The Comedy Store (Mitzi Shore is the real woman's name) and the Improv. The characters in the show are definitely invented and  composite types more than anything else. The book spends a lot of time describing how the comedy scene migrated from NYC to LA due to the Tonight Show relocating there. Tells a few personal tales about the various comedians, and in the last part digs into the strike and the founding of a comedians' union over several chapters. There is a suicide late in the book. I won't say more in case you decide to read it but no it isn't Freddy Prinze although he is mentioned too.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/10/2018 at 11:08 AM, msrachelj said:

my library does not have the book and i'm not going to buy it. why isn't there a spot here on the facebook page where it explains what character is supposed to be the real life who?

Not everyone is cut and dried (dry?) ... Some are probably combinations of people ... I think they have to be careful to not go anywhere that they could get in trouble for defamation of character, etc. (I mean, obviously, Richard Pryor is Richard Pryor LOL) ...

I could throw out a few thoughts on my part and I'm sure others could as well so I'll give it a shot off the top of my head ... and most if not all of the "real" comics I'm listing were regulars at the Comedy Store,

Some have posited that Adam is Jimmie Walker (though another poster, can't recall who and I apologize but it was a very insightful comment, also made a partial link of Jimmie Walker as Ron vis a vis his role on a sitcom much like the one Ron was on and having a catchphrase that seemed to rocket him to stardom) ... I get a lot of Franklyn Ajaye from Adam's character personally (huge fan of F.A.)

I think a contributor to Cassie's character is Elayne Boosler (the main female comic in the "boys' club" who was later romantically involved with both Andy Kaufman, who does not seem to be even remotely the genesis of any of the characters, and Robin Williams among others). She was definitely one of the first female standup comics. 

Taking a guess that Eddie is based, at least partly, on Richard Lewis. Al MAY be loosely based partly on Freddie Prinze as the lone Latino comic but other than that I don't get much of a Prinze vibe from him. I've also wondered if Ralph could possibly be partly based on Paul Mooney? 

There are a few very key comics in the book that, honestly, I'd never even heard of who either had long solid careers strictly by doing the late-night talk show circuit and some clubs or other ends (see below), so it's possible that guys like Bill Hobbs et al are based on them rather than people we'd be more likely to recognize ...


One possible VERY loose read on Brad Garrett is that there could be some connection to comic Sammy Shore, who was Mitzi's first husband (Mitzi being the woman Goldie is based on) and a long-time standup comic in Vegas as the opening act for Elvis Presley. I can't recall offhand but didn't Brad Garrett say something about how he was the long-time opening act for someone else famous (Paul Anka maybe?) ... He was the original owner of the Comedy Store and Mitzi got it in the divorce. (That said, I have never read that he was a bad dude, like either Goldie's awful first husband or loony Brad).

I think they played it safe with the finale in allowing it to be neatly wrapped up IF they do not get a third season ... that said, there's a LOT they could do with a Season 3. There was a ton of drama that came down after the strike re: who crossed, who didn't, and how they were treated by the CS (one particular tragic story that is covered in the book is definitely scriptworthy ... not sure if that individual is already being portrayed as one of the characters and because he wasn't really "famous" I haven't figured out who yet) ... there were also prominent individuals who factored in the history who were not part of the cast (such as a long time UNfriendly rivalry between comics Jay Leno and David Letterman which could certainly make for at least a few episodes worth of drama!)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

I think a contributor to Cassie's character is Elayne Boosler (the main female comic in the "boys' club" who was later romantically involved with both Andy Kaufman, who does not seem to be even remotely the genesis of any of the characters, and Robin Williams among others). She was definitely one of the first female standup comics. 

Was she also the inspiration for Elaine Bennis on Seinfeld? I think she may have gone out with him too. Obviously she's not literally Elaine, but I think all those characters are loosely based on people in his life (Larry David, Kenny Kramer etc.) and I feel like I remember someone saying Elaine was Elaine Boosler.

She came to my college once and was very funny. Much more so than Cassie, but then that's probably true of everybody on this show.

I really liked the Adam and-totally blanking on his name but the Sonny and Cher writer who was a vet--doing their show. I totally believe that scene in the writer's room when all they could think of to say about Sammy Davis Jr. was that he was black. It's amazing how in the 70s they just did exaggerated racist jokes. I was thinking about that scene recently watching some comedy specials on Netflix that were all done by comics from different backgrounds. The white guy just seemed like a different ethnicity instead of the default. Like his life experience was just as specific as theirs.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, sistermagpie said:

Was she also the inspiration for Elaine Bennis on Seinfeld? I think she may have gone out with him too. Obviously she's not literally Elaine, but I think all those characters are loosely based on people in his life (Larry David, Kenny Kramer etc.) and I feel like I remember someone saying Elaine was Elaine Boosler.

She came to my college once and was very funny. Much more so than Cassie, but then that's probably true of everybody on this show.

I really liked the Adam and-totally blanking on his name but the Sonny and Cher writer who was a vet--doing their show. I totally believe that scene in the writer's room when all they could think of to say about Sammy Davis Jr. was that he was black. It's amazing how in the 70s they just did exaggerated racist jokes. I was thinking about that scene recently watching some comedy specials on Netflix that were all done by comics from different backgrounds. The white guy just seemed like a different ethnicity instead of the default. Like his life experience was just as specific as theirs.

Adam's writing partner is Ralph, the Vietnam vet guy I think may be based partly on Paul Mooney. LOVE him. "Strange Fruit: The Musical" indeed. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

Adam's writing partner is Ralph, the Vietnam vet guy I think may be based partly on Paul Mooney. LOVE him. "Strange Fruit: The Musical" indeed. 

Thank you! I don't know how I manged to forget his name!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

Not everyone is cut and dried (dry?) ... Some are probably combinations of people ... I think they have to be careful to not go anywhere that they could get in trouble for defamation of character, etc. (I mean, obviously, Richard Pryor is Richard Pryor LOL) ...

I could throw out a few thoughts on my part and I'm sure others could as well so I'll give it a shot off the top of my head ... and most if not all of the "real" comics I'm listing were regulars at the Comedy Store,

Some have posited that Adam is Jimmie Walker (though another poster, can't recall who and I apologize but it was a very insightful comment, also made a partial link of Jimmie Walker as Ron vis a vis his role on a sitcom much like the one Ron was on and having a catchphrase that seemed to rocket him to stardom) ... I get a lot of Franklyn Ajaye from Adam's character personally (huge fan of F.A.)

I think a contributor to Cassie's character is Elayne Boosler (the main female comic in the "boys' club" who was later romantically involved with both Andy Kaufman, who does not seem to be even remotely the genesis of any of the characters, and Robin Williams among others). She was definitely one of the first female standup comics. 

Taking a guess that Eddie is based, at least partly, on Richard Lewis. Al MAY be loosely based partly on Freddie Prinze as the lone Latino comic but other than that I don't get much of a Prinze vibe from him. I've also wondered if Ralph could possibly be partly based on Paul Mooney? 

There are a few very key comics in the book that, honestly, I'd never even heard of who either had long solid careers strictly by doing the late-night talk show circuit and some clubs or other ends (see below), so it's possible that guys like Bill Hobbs et al are based on them rather than people we'd be more likely to recognize ...


One possible VERY loose read on Brad Garrett is that there could be some connection to comic Sammy Shore, who was Mitzi's first husband (Mitzi being the woman Goldie is based on) and a long-time standup comic in Vegas as the opening act for Elvis Presley. I can't recall offhand but didn't Brad Garrett say something about how he was the long-time opening act for someone else famous (Paul Anka maybe?) ... He was the original owner of the Comedy Store and Mitzi got it in the divorce. (That said, I have never read that he was a bad dude, like either Goldie's awful first husband or loony Brad).

I think they played it safe with the finale in allowing it to be neatly wrapped up IF they do not get a third season ... that said, there's a LOT they could do with a Season 3. There was a ton of drama that came down after the strike re: who crossed, who didn't, and how they were treated by the CS (one particular tragic story that is covered in the book is definitely scriptworthy ... not sure if that individual is already being portrayed as one of the characters and because he wasn't really "famous" I haven't figured out who yet) ... there were also prominent individuals who factored in the history who were not part of the cast (such as a long time UNfriendly rivalry between comics Jay Leno and David Letterman which could certainly make for at least a few episodes worth of drama!)

thanks, very interesting. i wish i could borrow the book from my library  but  they don't carry it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×