Cranberry

The Handmaid's Tale Anticipation

Official show synopsis:

The drama series, based on the award-winning, best-selling novel by Margaret Atwood, is the story of life in the dystopia of Gilead, a totalitarian society in what was formerly part of the United States. Facing environmental disasters and a plunging birthrate, Gilead is ruled by a twisted fundamentalist regime that treats women as property of the state. As one of the few remaining fertile women, Offred (Elisabeth Moss) is a Handmaid in the Commander’s household, one of the caste of women forced into sexual servitude as a last desperate attempt to repopulate a devastated world. In this terrifying society where one wrong word could end her life, Offred navigates between Commanders, their cruel Wives, domestic Marthas, and her fellow Handmaids – where anyone could be a spy for Gilead – all with one goal: to survive and find the daughter that was taken from her.

This is the anticipation topic, where you can share your thoughts about (and hopes for) the upcoming series. This will probably overlap a bit with the news and media topic, which is fine. 

How do people feel about book talk? We have a comparison topic for novel vs. show, but would you like a separate topic for just the book?

If anyone has ideas for additional topics, go ahead and create them! Feel free to suggest subtitles as well; I haven't read the book in ages and chose the current ones based on what I could remember, so they may not be the best.

• Like 2

Thank you for this. I do fear that I might possibly veer off and start politicizing the whole thing and drawing comparisons to the political climate here (US) nowadays. Probably not what the admin. and mods. want to see. I will try to restrain myself :)

ETA, Oh geez, never mind. I just saw that it is HULU. Darn it. I might still check out the forum though. Or get HULU....

Edited by SoSueMe

OH WOW didn't even know this was in the works. This is one of the most memorable works I read in high school... I just remember being like OMG geez I sure as hell hope nothing like this could ever really happen. But am sure there are certain groups who would do exactly this in the scenario described (ie massive infertility...)

I hope they expand upon the universe as I think there's a lot of potential there, and don't just tread exactly the same storyline as the book.

I'm very interested in the show, but I feel like it is going to at turns make me very angry and depressed. Mainly because of the political climate in the US and the World and that there a are growing number of people whose ideology is scarily similar to the book.

I hope they expand upon the universe as I think there's a lot of potential there, and don't just tread exactly the same storyline as the book.

I think they will be kind of forced to. The book mostly consisted of the thoughts, memories and feelings of offred which doesn't translate well to the screen. Going by the trailer, it definitely seems to have a decent amount of action and it looks like offred will be doing more then pining in her room.

On 1/10/2017 at 6:35 PM, HeySandyStrange said:

The book mostly consisted of the thoughts, memories and feelings of offred which doesn't translate well to the screen. Going by the trailer, it definitely seems to have a decent amount of action and it looks like offred will be doing more then pining in her room.

I think her memories of her pre-Gilead life will be turned into flashbacks on the show.

I am certainly anticipating this show as I also enjoyed the book. I really don't know how it will compare to the book as most movies usually don't add up to the books, but I am certainly giving this a long look.