OnceSane

S20.E10: The End of Serialization as We Know It

Heidi's reason to go to Mars finally becomes clear to Cartman. Meanwhile, Sheila sees what Gerald's been up to online; and Kyle and Ike rally the rest of the kids to save the world.

All wrapped up except for member berries (though they got a brief cameo).

God dammit, I wanted Gerald to get his comeuppance! But at least Ike got cleared. And Ike and Kyle hate him, so there's that.

Try and Matt sure nailed how Trump got elected and how the Internet got so fucked up.

• Like 2

Well, as predicted, we didn't get everything wrapped up. Garrison is still president (presumably guided by the Memberberries), Heidi & Cartman are still together (but Cartman of course isn't happy with it) while Gerald got off scot free. The internet was saved...for now. 

I loved Kyle rallying everyone to troll at the beginning.

Also, here's what Ike's TrollTrace list looks like. Chinpokomon is still a thing (and he's into FFXV).

member.jpg

EDIT: I saw some people asking if Trevor's Axiom is really the term for what that process is. If it wasn't, it is now,

Edited by Galileo908
  • Like 2

They really couldn't resolve the whole Memberberries storyline as they originally planned to since, of course, the berries "won" when they were supposed to lose.  But the rest of the finale was fun.

• Like 2

I thought of you, @Spartan Girl. Gerald got off way too cleanly. Sometimes, the bad guys can get away with murder. Literally, in his case. And except for Sheila pissing on him every few weeks and his kids having lost all respect for him, I don't think Gerald learned a damn thing.

So . . . barring turmoil in the next seven weeks, we'll be getting President Garrison in 2017. And Vice President Jenner. And an Oval Office full of sentient Member Berries. You think the Marshes are under their influence? Probably not. Oh, and Sparky's there! Holy crap, how long has it been since he saw him?

Cartman and Heidi are still together, apparently. Is this going to be like the season of Seinfeld when George got married, and Heidi will end up dying licking tainted envelopes?

Never let it be said that Matt and Trey half-ass things. As painful as the season has been, I could live with the show getting another Emmy. But I'd like to see how Archer deals with "Dreamland."

• Like 2

I really enjoyed this episode and this season.  Serialization has worked very well for the show.  I wonder if they will continue.  I do sometimes miss the old topic-of-the-week episodes they did.  Garrison at least seems like he will remain President.

I wish Gerald had gotten his but I give the show credit for making him the main character this season.  A lot of Kyle, Ike, Butter and Cartman goodness.  Stan has really become forgotten but not as forgotten as Kenny.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Also, here's what Ike's TrollTrace list looks like. Chinpokomon is still a thing (and he's into FFXV).

member.jpg

Ike sent an email to Santa?  How cute!  (Edit:  Wait, they're Jewish, I forgot.  That's actually weird.).  I enjoyed Kyle's continuing disquiet in response to Ike's filthy mouth.  

Cartman manufactures a bomb threat by NASA to Space X because NASA is super-jelly?  Lol.

I really didn't like that Gerald didn't get his at the end, but I'll still hold out hope for next season.  Kyle's optimistic voiceover was completely at odds with what was actually happening at the end:  Gerald doesn't have a "second chance" with his children (who hate him now), and no one in the public at large learned anything and will continue being terrible on the Internet (evidenced by the old man's dick pic).  Cartman is also a ticking time bomb, so maybe the episode title is also a lie, and there is some justice served next season.

Edited by Peace 47
  • Like 1

Isn't Ike Jewish? Then again, in a world where Santa exists ("Imaginationland" be damned), that wouldn't be a big thing for Santa. Also: I like Kyle and Ike's bitch faces. I didn't think a kindergarten kid could have one of those.

Was anybody else expecting to find that the soccer player staged killing herself, and the blood wasn't actually on Gerald's hands? Right now, he's got two deaths on his conscience. If he has one, I mean.

• Like 1

Just now, Lantern7 said:

Isn't Ike Jewish? Then again, in a world where Santa exists ("Imaginationland" be damned), that wouldn't be a big thing for Santa.

Yeah, I had edited my post at the same time that you were posting that I completely forgot that Ike and his family are Jewish, and it's actually kind of an uncomfortable reference in that respect.  Although maybe Ike is just friends with Santa through Kyle, since Kyle knows Santa from their trip to Iraq.  With Jesus.  (I love "Red Sleigh Down":  I've got to go watch that again.)

11 hours ago, SeanC said:

They really couldn't resolve the whole Memberberries storyline as they originally planned to since, of course, the berries "won" when they were supposed to lose.  But the rest of the finale was fun.

Yeah, that seemed to dead end more than most.  Going from Trump = nostalgia to Trump = reactionary rage makes a lot more sense but it meant dropping what started the season as the biggest setup.  Such is the problem when trying to satirize in real time.

Speaking of which I enjoyed Gerald's vs the troll debating satire. Matt and Trey had more than a little self-critique in that I think.

Really I don't need Gerald to get his comeuppance because South Park has never really been about justice, but Cartman will need resolution. We never really understood what made him turn into a feminist (or whatever he was). I think the show would like to retcon him into doing it for Heidi (because fear of losing her is what made him start scheming again) but it isn't true. He started the season that way.

• Like 1

I was annoyed that Sheila didn't find out that Gerald was the South Park troll, but the rest was pretty awesome.  I loved Kyle & Ike involving the rest of the kids to blow up the internet, Sheila breaking out of the closet and Kyle & Ike's pissed off faces.  I kinda hope that they use their knowledge to fuck with Gerald next season.

Oh and the "first email post internet explosion" cracked me up.  Of course it involved a slur & a dick pic.  Welcome back, internet!

• Like 1

I hated this season.  I have to deal with political bullshit enough in my real life.  I watch South Park because I want to laugh.

Maybe people wouldn't "member" so much if things today didn't suck so much in comparison.  I'm talking arts, etc., not the political longings for Ronald Reagan days.

This season was just self-congratulatory and tedious.  Next.

Edited by bethster2000
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, OnceSane said:

I was annoyed that Sheila didn't find out that Gerald was the South Park troll, but the rest was pretty awesome.  I loved Kyle & Ike involving the rest of the kids to blow up the internet, Sheila breaking out of the closet and Kyle & Ike's pissed off faces.  I kinda hope that they use their knowledge to fuck with Gerald next season.

Yeah, they should totally blackmail him for the rest of his life, if nothing else.

The more I think about, the more annoyed I am that Sheila -- a woman that used to every opportunity to meddle and interfere with everyone else's lives -- suddenly had qualms about poking around in Gerald's Internet business. This was the same woman that started a war with Canada over a stupid movie, for God's sake. 

• Like 5

I think it works better with the kids knowing and Sheila not because they can blackmail him for outrageous things. 

The show has always been political to an extent, though I do like when they just have the kids do stupid stuff for no reason. Given the uniqueness of this election, they were obviously going to address it on the show, and they did a good job putting this all together.

I can see that they might want a break and just do some silly episodes, but I do hope they'll keep these open storylines going. 

• Like 2

On 12/7/2016 at 10:35 PM, Galileo908 said:

Well, as predicted, we didn't get everything wrapped up. Garrison is still president (presumably guided by the Memberberries), Heidi & Cartman are still together (but Cartman of course isn't happy with it) while Gerald got off scot free.

What happened to the Russian bombers that were about to destroy everything? I guess they were called back??

An even further complication is the boys and girls still hate each other.  The troll was never exposed, so what happens now with them??

• Like 2