love21

Least Favorite Episodes: You Take The Bad

On 9/20/2018 at 7:47 PM, psychoticstate said:

So today I caught the episode where Jo finds out her favorite English teacher is leaving Eastland because she's dying.

A good episode . . . EXCEPT for Tootie (of course) waiting up for Jo, who comes in after curfew.  Not only does Tootie confront Jo like she's Jo's keeper but when mrs. Garrett enters the mix, she precedes to get on to Jo right in front of Tootie.

Why?  Why did Tootie have to be part of every single storyline?  I could see Blair maybe confronting Jo, as she was more her contemporary, but not Tootie.  And as usual, Tootie gets away with acting like a bossy little snot and it becomes all about her when, after wanting to know what's going on, Jo tells her the teacher is dying.  Ugh.   

PREACH!!!!!

And when Jo or whoever finally gives in and tells Tootie what she’s been whining and demanding to know, she’s all “What? I don’t understand! Mrs. GARRETT!!!!!! It’s NOT TRUE!!!!! You don’t MEAN THAAAT!!” and other variations of the same theme. I detested Tootie. The only time I liked her was during the first season and the handful of the second.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule

22 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

PREACH!!!!!

And when Jo or whoever finally gives in and tells Tootie what she’s been whining and demanding to know, she’s all “What? I don’t understand! Mrs. GARRETT!!!!!! It’s NOT TRUE!!!!! You don’t MEAN THAAAT!!” and other variations of the same theme. I detested Tootie. The only time I liked her was during the first season and the handful of the second.

I like Kim Fields but Tootie - - she was generally my least favorite character.  I actually liked her more in the later seasons.  The storyline quality went down but so did Tootie's general annoying characteristics.    As far as Tootie's response to Jo sharing that the teacher was going into the hospital and not leaving, how can Tootie not understand?  Is she neurologically damaged?  I think Jo's statement was pretty clear.  I mean, Tootie's reaction is what you would expect from an 8 year old maybe and she's supposed to be 14 or so?  I think Jo should have pointed out that if Tootie is too young to understand, maybe that's proof that she's too young to be treated like an adult by the actual adults on the show and too young to be the warden of the other girls. 

I get this was a fictionalized show and that Tootie was what?  3 or so years younger than Jo and Blair?  And that Jo and Blair hung out with her because they roomed together, worked in the cafeteria together (at least during the Eastland years) and apparently were in all the same classes together (which would NEVER happen in reality.)  However . . . being older, Jo and Blair should have privileges that Tootie did not.  And neither Jo nor Blair owed Tootie explanations on anything.  The fact that Tootie was never called on that shit still sticks in my craw (obviously.)  Did Tootie EVER get in trouble and have it stick?  The only time I can recall her genuinely getting punished was when Mrs. Garrett gave her envelopes to stamp and lick.  I can't remember what it was for but the rest of the girls ended up helping her, which is b.s.  Teaches her nothing.  I still don't understand why the writers/producers had such a hard-on for Tootie.  It's like she had to be involved in every single aspect of every single storyline.  I mean, when Jo meets Blair's former stepsister Meg (played by Eve Plumb!) and announces that, like Meg, she's going to become a nun, the freeze frame (because there's a part 2 coming up) isn't just on Jo but Tootie's horrified face in the background.  What does the decision have to do with Tootie?  Absolutely nothing.  Showing a concerned Mrs. Garrett would have made more sense, or even a horrified Blair, as Blair was already upset over Meg's decision.  But of course it has to be about Tootie.  Tootie, Tootie, Tootie.

A bit OT but with regards to Jo's dying English teacher - - Jo said she was 26.  26?  Ummmmm . . . okay . . . ?  

Edited by psychoticstate
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, psychoticstate said:

Did Tootie EVER get in trouble and have it stick?  The only time I can recall her genuinely getting punished was when Mrs. Garrett gave her envelopes to stamp and lick.  I can't remember what it was for but the rest of the girls ended up helping her

I think that was the episode where she spread the false rumor that Mrs. Garret had a drinking problem? Because she saw her stumbling around? But we knew it was because her optometrist had dilated her eyes. 

12 hours ago, psychoticstate said:

A bit OT but with regards to Jo's dying English teacher - - Jo said she was 26.  26?  Ummmmm . . . okay . . . ?  

I thought the same thing! I mean, maybe it’s because I’m an adult now and have gone through cancer myself, but a LOT of shows from that era, hell, even now use the vague “dying” or “cancer” as a reason for imminent death, but won’t state which cancer and the people suffering look in peak health! ????

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Like 2

On 7/1/2015 at 3:03 PM, psychoticstate said:

I actually like how they handled Natalie and Snake sleeping together.  There was no pregnancy scare, Natalie didn't regret it and they didn't break up, although Natalie said she wasn't sure she was looking for marriage and a lifetime commitment.  I recall reading that Lisa Whelchel refused to participate in this episode as premarital sex went against her religious beliefs so that's why Blair is "out of town" for this epi.

I admire LW for sticking to her beliefs but I think the show handled the topic well.  It's not realistic (nor was it in the 80s) to have four women in their late teens/early twenties with NONE of them being sexually active.   

As I remember it, didn't Snake and Natalie break up after sleeping together?  I thought that was unrealistic.  Sleeping with someone doesn't mean a rush into marriage, a pregnancy scare, etc. 

Why couldn't it just be that she had a healthy sex life with her boyfriend!??! Sheesh!!

47 minutes ago, greekmom said:

As I remember it, didn't Snake and Natalie break up after sleeping together?  I thought that was unrealistic.  Sleeping with someone doesn't mean a rush into marriage, a pregnancy scare, etc. 

Why couldn't it just be that she had a healthy sex life with her boyfriend!??! Sheesh!!

No. He just suddenly stopped calling or put off going out or something for a few days? A week? Because it meant a lot to him and he knew Natalie was it for him and he was scared she didn’t feel the same or overwhelmed. They were back in sync by the end of the episode.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

No. He just suddenly stopped calling or put off going out or something for a few days? A week? Because it meant a lot to him and he knew Natalie was it for him and he was scared she didn’t feel the same or overwhelmed. They were back in sync by the end of the episode.

Exactly.  They didn't break up, he got cold feet of a sort and then everything worked out fine.  I appreciate that Natalie, even after Snake was quasi-ghosting her, said she didn't regret sleeping with him because he had been her boyfriend for over a year and she loved him.  

• Like 2