Jump to content
Tara Ariano

S03.E06: Is Someone Really Dead?

Recommended Posts

Bonnie's smart enough to have kept a copy of the taped Frank confession, right?

Connor was very whiny tonight.

I guess Wes is the father of Laurel's baby. I was always leaning that way once we learned of her pregnancy, but tonight confirms it.

I like Michaela and Asher. Asher browbeating Michaela into saying she likes him not so much.

There are so many secrets among this crew, it's always jarring when a truth bomb gets dropped (like Wes tonight learning how Annalise lost her baby). In fact, the multiple Rebecca mentions made me think Wes was finally going to learn what happened to her.

I very much want to know more about Michaela's mom and her whole family and background.

Why did Annalise ask them all (minus Michaela?) to come to her house the night of the fire?

Wes is so so dead. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

So, Asher's alive in the flashforward. That leaves Nate, Frank, Connor, and Wes. 

So, Laurel's pregnant with Wes' baby. I went back and forth on it but Wes breaking up with Meggy sealed it for me. 

I'm getting the feeling that Bonnie might be on the phone with Wes in the flashforward. I'm also getting the sense that Connor might be under the sheet, which would SUCK. I know he hasn't been given a whole lot besides making googly eyes at Oliver, but he's still one of my favourites. I'd really hate to lose him. I'd personally prefer it was Nate or Frank, but it probably isn't. 

Frank's been keeping busy still, it seems. And Annalise is mad at Bonnie. 

This is also the first episode where I've liked Michaela/Asher. I think when Asher becomes serious, that is when I like him best. I'm very interested in more Michaela now. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, doram said:

At this rate, I'm surprised that there's one baby, not two.

Frank's been keeping busy, busy, busy. \

Asher lives! I am startled at how happy that makes me. :D

So... Connor's the rat, right?

 

4 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

So, Asher's alive in the flashforward. That leaves Nate, Frank, Connor, and Wes. 

So, Laurel's pregnant with Wes' baby. I went back and forth on it but Wes breaking up with Meggy sealed it for me. 

I'm getting the feeling that Bonnie might be on the phone with Wes in the flashforward. I'm also getting the sense that Connor might be under the sheet, which would SUCK. I know he hasn't been given a whole lot besides making googly eyes at Oliver, but he's still one of my favourites. I'd really hate to lose him. I'd personally prefer it was Nate or Frank, but it probably isn't. 

Frank's been keeping busy still, it seems. And Annalise is mad at Bonnie. 

This is also the first episode where I've liked Michaela/Asher. I think when Asher becomes serious, that is when I like him best. I'm very interested in more Michaela now. 

Why is she mad at Bonnie ? I missed the first few minutes . Is it because ahead was with Frank? 

I guess the timing means the baby is Wes'. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah I want it to be Nate or if they have to go there Frank because really his story arc is kinda done. They can't kill off any of the queer characters so Connor is out because the backlash would be fierce and Wes either because he's Black and one of the original six. Anyway, that's my hope for what happens.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, nutty1 said:

I am in the minority of wanting it to be Nate under the sheet. I'd hate to break up the original 6, and Frank entertains me.

I want it to be Nate, too. He's boring and pointless . 

  • Like 18

Share this post


Link to post

I dunno how, and I dunno when, but somewhere along the way Alfie Enoch became sexy. He's always been a cutie, but tonight when he was looming over Laurel? Let's just say....yeah.

Speaking of hot dudes, Oliver's new man is yummy.

I wanted Wes to punch Connor in the kidneys. Connor is ALWAYS blaming EVERYONE else for his screwed up life and I'm beyond tired of watching everyone in his life incessantly coddle him because he can't deal.

Laurel has the biggest mouth ever. Girl couldn't keep hold of a secret if it came with a handle.

Edited by Dee
  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, nutty1 said:

I am in the minority of wanting it to be Nate under the sheet. I'd hate to break up the original 6, and Frank entertains me.

Yeah,  I don't want to lose any of the Keating-5. I'm also not ready for Frank to go, I still think I'm missing something with his background.

I still can't get over how he looks about 10 years younger and like a completely different person without all that hair he once had.

I really "like" Asher and MIchaela, and I can't wait for more info. on Michaela's background. I couldn't believe or could I, that she told her mother not to steal anything before she left to find Asher. Like what? Her mother would steal from her? She surely didn't try to defend herself as Michaela walked out the door.

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

Yep, Wes is the father of Laurel's baby. I like both couples;  Laurel/Wes and Asher/Michaela

I love Connor, but I am so tired of his whining. He never takes responsibility for anything. 

I have no clue who is snitching on Annalise, but it is probably part of some plan that they cooked up.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

The body under that sheet looked really long, please let it be Nate. He's run his course, and I can't tell if Anna would really be all that into him if she weren't so messed up. She's about to go to jail, so...

It's got to be someone who means something to her with all the screaming and crying, or maybe she was just acting. Who the hell knows with Anna, we're still not sure if she set that fire on purpose. 

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Wow, is Bonnie a glutton for punishment. She takes AK's abuse week after week, low blow after lower blow. My god. 

Ok so I have been thinking about this under-the-sheet reveal, and I'm wondering if it's all misdirection. We've been told that one of the Keating 5 dies for sure (at least I think I remember that...? I'm happy to be corrected), but what if the Keating 5 member who dies isn't actually the person under the sheet? Is it possible that they've shown us Laurel alive (for now) but that in one of their manipulative twists, she dies before the night is up? And the person under the sheet is someone like Eve or Nate or Frank? I wouldn't put it past this show to have had Laurel in our face all this time and then pull the rug from underneath us. I don't want that to happen at all, because as much as I think she has made some unwise decisions, Laurel has become one of my favorites. But for some reason I don't see this show wanting to add a baby to its dynamic, even in the background. I just don't see a baby fitting. Of course Laurel could survive and have an abortion or miscarriage... I just have a feeling this baby isn't going to make it. Something seems off about how quickly Laurel's pregnancy was revealed.

Edited by LaJefaza
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Keepitmoving said:

The body under that sheet looked really long, please let it be Nate. He's run his course, I can't tell if Anna would really be all that into him if she weren't so messed up. She's about to go to jail, so...

It's got to be someone who means something to her with all the screaming and crying, or maybe she was just acting. Who the hell knows with Anna, we're still not sure if she set that fire on purpose. 

FWIW, I saw Viola Davis on a late night talk show right after the first episode of the season premiered. She said when that scene was filmed, there was a dummy under the blanket and she hadn't been told yet who would be dying, although she did find out later. So, speculating about the body under the blanket won't do us too much good, and the screaming and crying was just acting. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, maraleia said:

Yeah I want it to be Nate or if they have to go there Frank because really his story arc is kinda done. They can't kill off any of the queer characters so Connor is out because the backlash would be fierce and Wes either because he's Black and one of the original six. Anyway, that's my hope for what happens.

What backlash would the show face for killing off Wes or Connor? I read some similar sentiments re: Eve in another thread. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Killing off a Keating 5 member is like if you killed off one of the 6 on "Friends".

They are making it seem awfully like Connor, but usually when it's too obvious it's the other way around.

The show is one of the only shows that shows off LGBT characters in a realistic way and it'd be a shame to kill off Connor, even if he can be whiny. I like his non-stereotypical/realistic portrayal of a gay man.

The EP knows the popularity of Coliver, so i don't see reasoning in breaking them up and making one die episode later. Talk about sitting on a grenade.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Finally we see Laurel getting pregnant.

I still don't trust Meggy.

I knew we hadn't seen the last of the Mahooney clan. I wouldn't be surprised if junior really killed dad and Frank in major self flagellation mode is taking the blame. If it turns out to be junior who killed Mahooney,we have away for Frank to return. This is why I have to watch twice. So Frank framed Charles Mahooney so he can come home. I wonder if the show will let this stick as a sort of repentance for Charles killing  his fiance and getting off.

I'm still torn between Frank/Nate/Wes.

Connor wearing Michaela's robe was cute.  Even though they were total means girls this week, I like the K5 turning into real friends. It is hysterical watching Michaela totally pwn Simon. I am totally on board with the Michaels/Asher 'ship.

Edited by Milaxx
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Because they have cut down so much on Nate's screentime this season I don't think he's under the sheet. I also don't think his death would be as shocking(or heartbreaking) as one of the K5 or Frank. I'm just so glad that we will find out in about 2 episodes. I can't take the suspense anymore. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, love2lovebadtv said:

What backlash would the show face for killing off Wes or Connor? I read some similar sentiments re: Eve in another thread. 

This list http://www.autostraddle.com/all-65-dead-lesbian-and-bisexual-characters-on-tv-and-how-they-died-312315/ and this infographic http://www.autostraddle.com/autostraddles-ultimate-infographic-guide-to-dead-lesbian-tv-characters-332920/ explains it better than I can and also can apply to the gay characters on shows but lesbian/bisexual women characters are killed off even more than gay characters which is why Eve and Annalise survived. Pete Nowalk (the gay showrunner), from what I remember, has been made aware of this trend and is acting accordingly so the queer community doesn't come after him and Shonda by extension on social media.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

My understanding is the death was devastating to the cast, not the characters. Billy Brown has been with the show since day 1, so I could see cast members being sad to see him go.

I also don't think it's Connor because I would hate to see the show fall into the "kill the gay" trope. I also think there is more mileage to get out of Coliver.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

With how heartbroken the cast is I'm willing to bet it's Wes, Connor or Frank. I'm sure that the guy who plays Nate is cool and all but the reactions from the cast have all been "I still can't get over it, I'm heartbroken." leads me to believe that it's one of the K5 or Frank because they see each other all the time.  Am I the only one who wanted Bonnie to slap Annalise tonight. I mean how many times did she ask Bonnie about "spreading her legs"??  Yeah Annalise you may have saved her but at the same time you have held it against her. Not cool Annalise. Not cool. 

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post

Damn that was good!

Im thinking Connor is the rat, and Wes is dead.  

Actually if Connor isnt the rat it will make no sense.  He's wanted out for a while.

Edited by Tiger
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, maraleia said:

Yeah I want it to be Nate or if they have to go there Frank because really his story arc is kinda done. They can't kill off any of the queer characters so Connor is out because the backlash would be fierce and Wes either because he's Black and one of the original six. Anyway, that's my hope for what happens.

Why can't they kill Wes because he's black? And if we're avoiding killing black characters, why is Nate okay?

I do agree with you that I want it to be Nate, I just don't get why you're excluding Wes from the possible characters under the sheet. I'm not aware of a trope with killing black characters the same way there is with gay characters (correct me if I'm wrong!) but it's not like Wes is a token black character. This show doesn't really do "token" demographic characters.

1 hour ago, Dee said:

Laurel has the biggest mouth ever. Girl couldn't keep hold of a secret if it came with a handle.

Which made it even funnier that Connor, Asher and Michaela were pissed at her for keeping secrets.

1 hour ago, LaJefaza said:

We've been told that one of the Keating 5 dies for sure (at least I think I remember that...? I'm happy to be corrected)

I don't think we have been told this. We've just been told that it's someone that had a huge impact for the cast such that they had to take a break from filming while they all cried, or something along those lines. Doesn't mean it CAN'T be one of the K5, but I don't think we've been told that one of them dies for sure.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, secnarf said:

Why can't they kill Wes because he's black? And if we're avoiding killing black characters, why is Nate okay?

I do agree with you that I want it to be Nate, I just don't get why you're excluding Wes from the possible characters under the sheet. I'm not aware of a trope with killing black characters the same way there is with gay characters (correct me if I'm wrong!) but it's not like Wes is a token black character. This show doesn't really do "token" demographic characters.

 

Maybe I worded that wrong. I meant that Wes would be a bad choice because he is one of the original five. Also, there's way too much story to tell with his character.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I like how they paralleled the officer's pain and PTSD with Annalise. It's as if Anna wishes someone had stopped and made her get help like she did the officer on trial.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, doram said:

Ooh thanks, I had actually heard this one but I forgot about it. I don't think it applies to this show though? They killed plenty of white characters first (Lila, Sam, Rebecca, Sinclair, Mahoney, possibly others that I have lost track of), and as I said before, there aren't really token minorities on this show.

 

Anyways, I could see it being Wes, but they'd have to wrap up the Mahoney thing first, I think.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Wes or Frank are still my top choices, Nate is my wildcard. 

Why does a computer wizard like Oliver need Michaela to help him with online dating? Is that to remind us he's awkward and needs help dating?

Edited by Milaxx
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, doram said:

Next week's promo was about a rat. Nothing in the episode itself mentioned it so if you missed the promo, that's why (you're confused). Don't worry about it. 

Thank you!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

The ADA job, is to this show, what the Defence Against Dark Arts professorship is to Harry Potter.

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post

So in the house tonight both Connor threatened to kill Wes and Annalise threatened to kill Frank. So Connor will be alive and it'll come down to Frank and Wes.

I guess Wes is the baby daddy. I rather it be Frank, don't like Laurel & Wes at all or all the incest in the case these days. I can't stand Wes, so I prefer to keep Frank around. He's actually useful in these situations where Wes gets them into these situations. 

Annalise sure called Bonnie sleeping with Frank instantly and Frank being the one to leave Bonnie. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On Thursday, October 27, 2016 at 9:52 PM, Dancingjaneway said:

Because they have cut down so much on Nate's screentime this season I don't think he's under the sheet.

Neither do I.  Nate has been so absent from this story thus far, I really don't think it is he who is under the sheet.  Sorry to all those who want Nate to die, but I really think he's still alive.

On Thursday, October 27, 2016 at 10:10 PM, Tiger said:

Im thinking Connor is the rat, and Wes is dead.  

Actually if Connor isnt the rat it will make no sense.  He's wanted out for a while.

I'm thinking it's the other way around. I think Wes is the rat, actually, who turns Annalise in because he feels too guilty about this being his fault, and Connor is dead due to having Oliver move on.

On Thursday, October 27, 2016 at 11:02 PM, doram said:

That said, Nate is such a safe option at this point that I seriously doubt he's the one. I think it might come down to Wes, Connor or Frank and I am leaning heavily on Connor because of what I said before - Oliver getting what seems like a serious relationship and Simon slowly but surely working his way into the K5.

I thought the same thing while watching tonight.  Simon definitely seems like he will be joining the group at one point, and it looks like they're doing everything to phase Connor out of it.

Edited by Michel
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

I dunno how, and I dunno when, but somewhere along the way Alfie Enoch became sexy. He's always been a cutie, but tonight when he was looming over Laurel? Let's just say....yeah.

I know! I definitely wanted to see more of Wes and Laurel's hookup.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, nosleepforme said:

I still don't get why Newbie put up the flyers.

I think it was just attention seeking/jealousy  over not being part of the cool kids aka the K5. TBH They do get preferential treatment. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

The guy who plays Nate has also been with the cast since day 1. So I could see that impacting the cast too. I agree it is either Connor or Wes. Event though Wes is the star I think Connor death would have a bigger impact on more characters. The only problem is I don't see Annaleise caring that Connor died.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Milaxx said:

Wes or Frank are still my top choices, Nate is my wildcard. 

Why does a computer wizard like Oliver need Michaela to help him with online dating? Is that to remind us he's awkward and needs help dating?

I don't think being a computer wizard has anything to do with online dating. Different skill set,  in my opinion. Though I admit I have no knowledge of the websites they're talking about so maybe some technical expertise is required . 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, maraleia said:

This list http://www.autostraddle.com/all-65-dead-lesbian-and-bisexual-characters-on-tv-and-how-they-died-312315/ and this infographic http://www.autostraddle.com/autostraddles-ultimate-infographic-guide-to-dead-lesbian-tv-characters-332920/ explains it better than I can and also can apply to the gay characters on shows but lesbian/bisexual women characters are killed off even more than gay characters which is why Eve and Annalise survived. Pete Nowalk (the gay showrunner), from what I remember, has been made aware of this trend and is acting accordingly so the queer community doesn't come after him and Shonda by extension on social media.

Thanks so much for this info . I wasn't aware . 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

With his biological father dead and his brother arrested, it seems to me that Wes should be retaining a lawyer to claim a share of his father's vast estate.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
55 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

With his biological father dead and his brother arrested, it seems to me that Wes should be retaining a lawyer to claim a share of his father's vast estate.

He'd have to prove paternity and contest the will. I'm not sure if he's up for the circus that would be. IIRC Wallace Mahooney's wife was none too fond of Wes's mom Rose and a bit of a ball buster.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

This episode takes place 3 weeks before the fire, would Meggie be able to tell that Laurel is pregnant?

There is one trope that I HOPE this show doesn't pull, that Meggie started the fire because she found out Laurel and Wes were together, and is pissed that yet another black man (or black-ish) leaves her, a black woman for a Caucasian woman. 

Glad that Asher lives; they can get rid of Connor, Wes, Nate or Frank; for some strange reason I like Asher. 

Asher mentioned that Annalise called them all to her house, why didn't Michaela know about that call? 


 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

If the flyer guy becomes part of the K5 that may put an end to my watching the show. I don't like him and I don't like the animosity he has caused. He's not an enjoyable character in the least. 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

HCG can be detected in the blood two weeks after conception, but it still can't be Wes' baby, because three weeks hence the doctors were using ultrasound to monitor the baby's heartbeat, and a fetus doesn't develop a heart until weeks 6-8.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Dancingjaneway said:

If the flyer guy becomes part of the K5 that may put an end to my watching the show. I don't like him and I don't like the animosity he has caused. He's not an enjoyable character in the least. 

Yeah, if they kill off Connor and replace with Drake Im done.

That said, Id be totally down for Connor working for the DA's against Annalise and the others.  

Edited by Tiger
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
32 minutes ago, jaigurudeva said:

HCG can be detected in the blood two weeks after conception, but it still can't be Wes' baby, because three weeks hence the doctors were using ultrasound to monitor the baby's heartbeat, and a fetus doesn't develop a heart until weeks 6-8.

I don't think this show considers logic like that. 

  • Like 17

Share this post


Link to post

Thing is, Annalise lost it when she saw who the dead guy was, right? I can't honestly see her reacting that way to anyone but Nate or Wes. Certainly not Frank unless something major happens to change her feelings about him. And she might be protecting the original 5 but no way she's that emotionally invested in Conner. I just don't see it.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, jaigurudeva said:

HCG can be detected in the blood two weeks after conception, but it still can't be Wes' baby, because three weeks hence the doctors were using ultrasound to monitor the baby's heartbeat, and a fetus doesn't develop a heart until weeks 6-8.

I was wondering about them using an unltrasound on her in the ER. It didn't make sense if she was newly pregnant. 

38 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Yeah, if they kill off Connor and replace with Drake Im done.

That said, Id be totally down for Connor working for the DA's against Annalise and the others.  

I keep seeing rumors that Falehee is leaving the show. Where are they coming from? Personally I think there is more mileage to get out of Coliver and I really don't see them killing off Connor.

13 minutes ago, doram said:

At the worst, he can be sure of at least a 6 figure pay-off to just keep quiet about the whole matter. 

At the best, if he has Annalisse ready to throw her skill and weight around, he can expect a great deal more.

The question is if Wes would want to pursue it. The way he reacted to Frank killing his father... I think he feels bitter/cheated for not knowing his father. He seemed to take the man's death personally and it took Annalisse telling him about her car accident for him to realize that yeah, this is not a good person. I don't think Wes would care to explore his relationship with that family. 

Although he might want to know his blood brother / see if a relationship is worth exploring.

Blood ties are complicated.

ITA- It would make for interesting story telling. Especially since I get a maternal vibe towards Wes from Annalise. (Another storyline I feel has more traction). She still hasn't fully told him that she & Eve ere the reason Rose killed herself.

I guess in the long run, I can talk myself out of everyone being under the sheet but Frank. I think his dying opens up more story whereas Nate really doesn't have that much of a story and if Connor or Wes die we lose potential stories.

7 minutes ago, Lyndy said:

Thing is, Annalise lost it when she saw who the dead guy was, right? I can't honestly see her reacting that way to anyone but Nate or Wes. Certainly not Frank unless something major happens to change her feelings about him. And she might be protecting the original 5 but no way she's that emotionally invested in Conner. I just don't see it.

I think she's conflicted over Frank. It's been shown time and again that she, Frank and Bonnie are a sort of dysfunctional family and they have a 10+ year history together. As angry as she is with him over the death of her baby, she would be upset.

Edited by Milaxx
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×