Jump to content
WendyCR72

Sex And The City

Recommended Posts

Don't forget, Carrie was writing a widely-read column so using a pseudonym for a prominent New Yorker is appropriate.  Let's just be glad it wasn't "Donald".

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

Berger wasn't a nickname, it's his last name, Jack Berger.

Yep, I know, but she still used his last name like a nickname and always referred to him in that silly way. I don't ever remember her simply calling him Jack, always just "Berger."

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Berger I could deal with, since it was his last name.  But "The Russian"?  No.  Absolutely not.  And do not EVEN get me started on "I'm taking a LOVAAH!"

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

Rewatching some eps scattered. I think Samantha/Miranda/Charlotte have been wrongly tagged with being air-headed, selfish, headcases who lead financially unrealistic lifestyles because they associate with Carrie who is all those things. Carrie is not likable most of the time but her friends sure are. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Ugh, Carrie is such a bitch to Samantha in Plus One Is the Loneliest Number. Samantha offers her pricy PR services for free in service of Carrie's book and party and really takes putting both together seriously, even through Carrie being judgey about Sam blowing the Worldwide Express Guy. (On the point, I saw both sides. I get why Carrie just ran away and had a freaked out reaction. But Carrie, again, didn't have to constantly mock Samantha and needle the point.) Samantha gets a chemical peel and has an unexpected terrible reaction resulting in pain and disfigurement. Even though Samantha asked to stay home from the book launch given her pain and humiliating disfigurement, Carrie had to insist that Samantha go. And then, Carrie just constantly needled at what a freak show Sam looked like through the entire book party, putting Samantha down for going out in public like that when Carrie was the damn one who forced her all along. 

Edited by Melancholy
  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post

I thought Carrie was awful too but I don't think you can blame her for the reaction at the blow job.  I thought she just did some good natured ribbing at best.

Share this post


Link to post

I thought Carrie was already on thin ice by bringing up that she saw the blow job to Charlotte and Miranda. I get that these girls talk about their sex lives in excruciating detail but generally, the rule of courtesy is that if you accidentally barge in on someone, you don't disclose it to others because someone's sex life is not yours to divulge. However, I get that the lines are muddied because of the girls' closeness and Samantha's own open discussion of every detail of her sex life. However after Samantha made it clear that she was hurt and offended at Carrie disparagingly bringing up the blow-up and the resulting ridicule that followed, Carrie should have taken the social cue and STFU about it. Instead, Carrie did this whole dramatic entrance into Sam's office where she had her eyes close and opened them with a "live and learn" flourish. Sam didn't call Carrie on that because she was so anxious to get their friendship back on track and she had a judgey moment with Marcus/Stanford. However, I think it's being a bad friend to continue to rib someone after they've made it clear that it's not funny to them.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

Samantha gets a chemical peel and has an unexpected terrible reaction resulting in pain and disfigurement. Even though Samantha asked to stay home from the book launch given her pain and humiliating disfigurement, Carrie had to insist that Samantha go. And then, Carrie just constantly needled at what a freak show Sam looked like through the entire book party, putting Samantha down for going out in public like that when Carrie was the damn one who forced her all along. 

Not one of Carrie's better moments. She should have trusted Samantha's judgement when Samantha asked to not show up.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

I always liked Carrie the least of the women, until the first movie anyhow.  She was so darn self absorbed and the thought that she could afford the apartment she had, with the multitude of shoes, on the salary of a column writer for a small paper?  Yeah, no.  Not buying it.  I thought the writers humbled her character quite a bit when they wrote the movie, which was much needed. 

I always liked Big and thought Chris Noth was hot.  I didn't buy that he would eventually choose Carrie.  They had absolutely nothing in common.  Not that he had a lot in common with Natasha either, apparently, but still.  I always thought Carrie was best paired with Aidan. They had their differences, of course, but they just seemed better together as far as strictly characters go.  I hated how she treated him with the cheating and then getting back together with him only to freak out about being engaged.  Ugh.  Don't even get me started on how she wore that gorgeous engagement ring on a necklace.  Just no.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah, I disliked Carrie but I liked Big. Chris Noth is very magnetic, even beyond his good looks. 

Still watching the series, I'm surprised on this exchange in The Big Journey:

Big (on reading the book): I had no idea that I hurt you so much. 

Carrie: You've read my columns.

Big: Yes, but not in one sitting. 

On that, I'm surprised that Big never took exception or argued with Carrie about a column that she wrote before if he was really reading them in the paper. I don't recall that coming up in the earlier seasons. I guess we can try to fanwank that Big really didn't read her column that seriously but just picked up the few columns that didn't have much to do with him or didn't feature him in a controversial/bad light. However, that's REALLY cherry-picking because Carrie wrote her one-sided drama about how Big was the toxic guy she just couldn't quit A LOT. I almost don't see how even a casual reader could avoid that. And Carrie being Carrie, I'm surprised that she didn't passive-aggressively question him about how he felt about a Big-column so she could "debate" him into getting closer to her from a distance. I mean, Carrie *did* do that a bunch. Use an intended theme that she was working on in a current column and use it to cross-examine Big on how he felt about relationships. However, she never did it aggressively in the sense of, "How do you think you came off in the last column that I wrote? How do you feel about how I analyzed our last disagreement in print?" 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Now that could have been a good episode.  I love the Big Journey-I think Chris was at his funniest-I'm surprised he never questioned her work.  I wouldn't want her having a key to my place either!

Share this post


Link to post

I think Big was just humoring Carrie regarding the columns. I can imagine him always changing the subject, telling Carrie he doesn't want to talk about it, etc, anytime she brought it up. And that was one of the few times she got the hint about a subject when it came to Big. He never read her columns, he just pretended he did.

Well, that's my fanwank.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, Melancholy said:

Yeah, I disliked Carrie but I liked Big. Chris Noth is very magnetic, even beyond his good looks. 

Still watching the series, I'm surprised on this exchange in The Big Journey:

Big (on reading the book): I had no idea that I hurt you so much. 

Carrie: You've read my columns.

Big: Yes, but not in one sitting. 

On that, I'm surprised that Big never took exception or argued with Carrie about a column that she wrote before if he was really reading them in the paper. I don't recall that coming up in the earlier seasons. I guess we can try to fanwank that Big really didn't read her column that seriously but just picked up the few columns that didn't have much to do with him or didn't feature him in a controversial/bad light. However, that's REALLY cherry-picking because Carrie wrote her one-sided drama about how Big was the toxic guy she just couldn't quit A LOT. I almost don't see how even a casual reader could avoid that. And Carrie being Carrie, I'm surprised that she didn't passive-aggressively question him about how he felt about a Big-column so she could "debate" him into getting closer to her from a distance. I mean, Carrie *did* do that a bunch. Use an intended theme that she was working on in a current column and use it to cross-examine Big on how he felt about relationships. However, she never did it aggressively in the sense of, "How do you think you came off in the last column that I wrote? How do you feel about how I analyzed our last disagreement in print?" 

 

17 hours ago, Maherjunkie said:

Now that could have been a good episode.  I love the Big Journey-I think Chris was at his funniest-I'm surprised he never questioned her work.  I wouldn't want her having a key to my place either!

 

12 hours ago, BBHN said:

I think Big was just humoring Carrie regarding the columns. I can imagine him always changing the subject, telling Carrie he doesn't want to talk about it, etc, anytime she brought it up. And that was one of the few times she got the hint about a subject when it came to Big. He never read her columns, he just pretended he did.

Well, that's my fanwank.

Chris Noth as Big could be very funny.  The sense of humor is really the only complimentary thing I could see about his character with Carrie. 

I'm with @BBHN that I wouldn't think Big would read Carrie's column. He's a businessman who would read the WSJ, keep up with the Dow, etc.  I don't think he'd give a rat's ass about Carrie's column, so long as his identity couldn't be detected from her column.   That too could have been a reason why they didn't seem to go out as much as she went out with others.  I wouldn't want people to know that was me, if I had a business reputation to protect.

Speaking of, I know I said before that I liked Carrie best with Aidan - - I'll go a step further.  In real life, Big would probably have gone for any of the women BUT Carrie.  Samantha, Miranda and Charlotte were all professional, career women who could hold their end of conversations up with more than just talk about sex and shoes.   Why he would coming running back to Carrie is beyond me.

And I know others have said this but what they did to "the Russian" was almost unforgivable.  I understand why Carrie would decide to go to Paris - - all her friends had moved on to a different chapter of their lives and she was still stuck in the same one, writing the same exact things - - but just not with Alex.  They were having a fling, more than a relationship.  She was far too flighty for his more serious and moody nature.  That was enough to break them up, they didn't need the accidental slap which then became "he hit me."  It was unnecessary.  Carrie was already feeling excluded and left out.  She didn't know French, wasn't bothering to learn the language.  She was doing nothing but spending time by herself, which she never seemed to really enjoy doing in NY, much less in Paris.  She wasn't writing and I think she had already come to the conclusion that she had acted hastily when she decided to move by the time Big showed up.  I think just seeing him, someone from home and someone she always had deep feelings for, would have made her pack up and go home.  No need to tarnish the reputation of "the Russian" in the process. 

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, psychoticstate said:

In real life, Big would probably have gone for any of the women BUT Carrie.  Samantha, Miranda and Charlotte were all professional, career women who could hold their end of conversations up with more than just talk about sex and shoes.   Why he would coming running back to Carrie is beyond me.

Amen. Carrie could be so insufferable. Big coming back to her multiple times was perplexing to me. What did she bring to the table for him? My only rationale is that Carrie was easy enough to deal with and would put up with quite a bit. She wrote this simple-minded column, which I maintain he never read even once and she wasn’t that deep. When she got too demanding based on what he was willing to offer, he would bail. He knew she’d be available for him again when he was interested, no matter what her relationship status.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

I wonder... is it that he wanted to rescue her? Every time she pushed him for a commitment he ran away, but when she ran from him, he couldn't wait to give chase.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Maybe Big kept returning because Carrie was basically simplistic.  He knew what to expect with her and what demands she would or would not place on him.  She also didn't appear to be seeking marriage, so that could have been attractive to him.   I don't know, you would think he would be bored by her eventually, once the chase was gone.  She wasn't deep.  She certainly couldn't have stimulated him that much, at least mentally.  She didn't appear to have very lofty goals.  She wasn't looking for marriage/children/home so . . . huh. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

What I don't understand is he made it clear he didn't want to remarry, she never seemed that domestic either, so what was the problem?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Maherjunkie said:

What I don't understand is he made it clear he didn't want to remarry, she never seemed that domestic either, so what was the problem?

I think she was looking for a definitive commitment from Big, married or not.  Chemistry was what brought them together.  They liked drinking and talking and flirting and sex.  I never saw more than that, so I was surprised that they ended up together, but it's tv.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, Maherjunkie said:

He said "You are my girlfriend, this is the relationship I like, I love you", so how did this ditz define commitment?

I think what it boils down to is that Carrie was very insecure. 

She probably realized that other than physical chemistry, they had nothing in common.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Carrie was only interested in sex, drinking, fashion and discussing romance. And she wanted a masculine alpha who wasn't all that into the fashion or into bringing up sensitive relationship conversations when she wanted to quip. I think she was pretty used to not having much in common with men. So, Big didn't rate poorly for her in that regard. Big seemed like an accomplished international man of mystery and he was great at patter and banter so Carrie felt more entertained with Big than any other guy even if they had nothing in common. 

I completely see what Carrie saw in Big and why she held on through his cold indifference. I don't know what he saw in her. I guess he tried a Miranda like red headed sensible, strong, high powered career woman for Wife #1 and a Charlotte like brunette, gorgeous, elegant socialite housewife type for Wife #2 and he couldn't make those marriages work with those cliched types so he landed on Carrie as he aged because she wouldn't assert herself as an equally accomplished professional or demand beige domestic bliss. Although, Carrie was a very high maintenance wife in the second movie. 

Edited by Melancholy
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

There's an irony that Miranda actually found her best match in Robert and Steve seemed to have found a pretty damn on-point match in Debbie. But they HADDA be broken up to force mis-matched Miranda/Steve. 

Carrie's whole "wrong number" thing to a Alexander repeatedly calling her who never said anything definitive to indicate he was a wrong number is so, so, so stupid. 

Edited by Melancholy
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Melancholy said:

There's an irony that Miranda actually found her best match in Robert and Steve seemed to have found a pretty damn on-point match in Debbie. But they HADDA be broken up to force mis-matched Miranda/Steve. 

As the wise and wonderful Captain Ray Holt (Andre Braugher) of Brooklyn Nine-Nine said after binge-watching SatC to ingratiate himself with a source:  "So Miranda could have been with Blair Underwood but she chose Steve?"  Totally cracked me up.  I'm right there with you, Captain Holt!

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post

And Blair Underwood as a doctor. For the Knicks. Who would watch stuff like Jules & Mimi. Who threw himself into doctoring her through the chicken pox or cooking dinner or putting on Brady's party without being asked. Yes, Steve seemed to be a decent father and after they married, he was actually more helpful. But generally, Steve was the incompetent, whiny child to be catered to. 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
29 minutes ago, Melancholy said:

And Blair Underwood as a doctor. For the Knicks. Who would watch stuff like Jules & Mimi. Who threw himself into doctoring her through the chicken pox or cooking dinner or putting on Brady's party without being asked. Yes, Steve seemed to be a decent father and after they married, he was actually more helpful. But generally, Steve was the incompetent, whiny child to be catered to. 

I can't figure out why Miranda gave up all that and married Steve instead. Blair seemed like a better fit. Same with Steve's girlfriend. Why not just have Miranda and Steve remain to people raising their kid?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, andromeda331 said:

I can't figure out why Miranda gave up all that and married Steve instead. Blair seemed like a better fit. Same with Steve's girlfriend. Why not just have Miranda and Steve remain to people raising their kid?

Chemistry is everything though---even though both of them were having nice new relationships with seemingly more attractive and more successful folks, there's something to be said for the undeniable chemistry a couple needs in order to remain effortlessly drawn to each other despite all else. And you gotta admit, Miranda and Steve((and also the actors playing them)) have always had that certain something, that chemical allure drawing them together perfectly.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I get why Miranda left Robert for Steve. But I think it was a mistake. Miranda and Steve *were* really drawn to each other. I wouldn't  call it deep sexual chemistry. But it was romance based on deep familiarity- how long they've known each other, how they repeatedly got back together, Brady most importantly, probably shared Irish heritage. That's certainly important. However it wasn't enough. Miranda never thought Steve was good enough for her- with good reason. And Miranda would deal with those feelings by being bitchy or by being a guilt ridden doormat. Steve was so dependent that he was a source of stress. I don't think they were happily married in the movies. Miranda should have given Robert a chance because he could be a full partner on her level. The familiarity takes time to develop. I think Miranda could have been a lot happier in the long run if she gave Robert some time to fit into her family.  

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

I'm in the minority but that's okay. I liked Miranda and Steve together, and the opposites attracting deal. I'll concede I liked Steve more as originally envisioned (reading Hemingway, the Blue Moon scene) and agree he could be trying by the end.

But I think Miranda could be just as imperfect, and their troubles weren't all on Steve. Shrug.

I thought Robert was fine on paper, but he seemed to be a void of blahness, to me on screen, better looks/career or not. But, again, I realize I'm in the minority!

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

Still watching the later eps. You can tell that SJP is the producer when Samantha is contemplating getting breast implants to Carrie and Charlotte and she announces that she wants boobs like Carrie's instead of Charlotte. And Charlotte is all "What about me?" Charlotte has the best boobs and she's the most beautiful of the four. Carrie has a good body that particularly works as a skinny hanger to show off couture fashion but she's not voluptuous at all. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/13/2017 at 2:05 PM, WendyCR72 said:

I'm in the minority but that's okay. I liked Miranda and Steve together, and the opposites attracting deal. I'll concede I liked Steve more as originally envisioned (reading Hemingway, the Blue Moon scene) and agree he could be trying by the end.

But I think Miranda could be just as imperfect, and their troubles weren't all on Steve. Shrug.

I thought Robert was fine on paper, but he seemed to be a void of blahness, to me on screen, better looks/career or not. But, again, I realize I'm in the minority!

I liked them together too. One of my favorite scenes with them is when Miranda came rushing home with groceries to cook dinner, dropped a bag, and a jar of spaghetti sauce broke. It was when they were first talking about living together, and she had an emotional moment where she told him what was holding her back was him seeing her in her worst moments, and finding out things like how she didn't always rinse her kitchen sponge, which made it smell. It was a rare moment of Miranda letting her guard down. Steve was very sweet and talked her through it.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, ShellSeeker said:

I liked them together too. One of my favorite scenes with them is when Miranda came rushing home with groceries to cook dinner, dropped a bag, and a jar of spaghetti sauce broke. It was when they were first talking about living together, and she had an emotional moment where she told him what was holding her back was him seeing her in her worst moments, and finding out things like how she didn't always rinse her kitchen sponge, which made it smell. It was a rare moment of Miranda letting her guard down. Steve was very sweet and talked her through it.

Yes, and the hug! "I'm not going anywhere." I loved that scene, too.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, ShellSeeker said:

I liked them together too. One of my favorite scenes with them is when Miranda came rushing home with groceries to cook dinner, dropped a bag, and a jar of spaghetti sauce broke. It was when they were first talking about living together, and she had an emotional moment where she told him what was holding her back was him seeing her in her worst moments, and finding out things like how she didn't always rinse her kitchen sponge, which made it smell. It was a rare moment of Miranda letting her guard down. Steve was very sweet and talked her through it.

That was a sweet scene and I always loved when Miranda let her guard down.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

I loved Miranda's wedding-Simple, low key ceremony in a little park & beautiful dress.

The dress she wore in her wedding was one of my favorite outfits of the entire series. It was a beautiful color, and looked gorgeous with her hair. And even though Stanford and Anthony's wedding in the second movie was ridiculously ostentatious, I loved the dress Miranda wore for that too.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I loved Miranda's wedding, too. And Magda's little "It's happy time!" (or some approximation of such) was cute, too.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/15/2017 at 8:22 PM, chitowngirl said:

I loved Miranda's wedding-Simple, low key ceremony in a little park & beautiful dress.

One of my favorite lines in the entire series is when Miranda is at the dress shop and tell the woman there, "I said no white, no ivory, nothing that says virgin. I have a child. The jig is up."

Real talk, Miranda's wedding is my idea wedding - low key, surrounded by friends, and nothing too over the top. 

And speaking of Miranda, I loved this article over at Manrepeller last week: If Sex and the City Came out in 2017, Miranda Would be the Protagonist

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, Maharincess said:

I always thought Miranda was rude as hell to the dress lady. She was just so snappy and condescending. 

That's pretty much Miranda's standard mode of communicating, no?  ;-)

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Sorta, but she had already told the salesperson once what she wanted and clearly the salesperson wasn't listening.  I want Miranda to come with me next time I need to buy a car.

  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, Princess Sparkle said:

One of my favorite lines in the entire series is when Miranda is at the dress shop and tell the woman there, "I said no white, no ivory, nothing that says virgin. I have a child. The jig is up."

Real talk, Miranda's wedding is my idea wedding - low key, surrounded by friends, and nothing too over the top. 

And speaking of Miranda, I loved this article over at Manrepeller last week: If Sex and the City Came out in 2017, Miranda Would be the Protagonist

Ha ha ha....I love that line, its so hilarious and just so Miranda.

I wouldn't necessarily say she was being rude.  If she told the sales lady that she didn't want white or ivory dresses then she should honor that request and not keep pushing white/ivory dresses at her.

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
40 minutes ago, DkNNy79 said:

Ha ha ha....I love that line, its so hilarious and just so Miranda.

I wouldn't necessarily say she was being rude.  If she told the sales lady that she didn't want white or ivory dresses then she should honor that request and not keep pushing white/ivory dresses at her.

Exactly, and then even after Miranda says that, the saleswoman still comes out later with a white dress.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Speaking of people pushing things on Miranda, I loved the story about Miranda and Charlotte fighting about the baby shower but Charlotte ultimately respecting Miranda's wishes to have a non-storkless non-cutesy shower with fried chicken. Plus:

Miranda: Two storks! There's a stork on the invitation!!!

Charlotte: That is not a stork. That is a duck! And that duck is smoking. That duck's not for children. 

Miranda: That duck is fucked! This whole shower is fucked!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/9/2017 at 0:40 AM, Maherjunkie said:

What I don't understand is he made it clear he didn't want to remarry, she never seemed that domestic either, so what was the problem?

One thing that has always bugged me is how in the first movie, they made such a huge deal out of Miranda telling Big that marriage sucks and Miranda actually blaming herself for that. Like... Big was married twice and he cheated on his wife with Carrie! He definitely knows all about that and no one should have acted as if Miranda was to blame, when it was Big's decision. If it was her words that pushed him away that means he already had doubts. Plus, Carrie blowing her fuse in the middle of the goddamn street!!!

Carrie is one of those people who talk about how they want to meet their big love and all, but when she had settled into her relationship with Aiden, there was that episode where she kept waking up at night and not knowing what bothers her - which turned out to be that things with Aiden were so good and calm that it fucked her up! She didn't want a partner who was loving and supportive - like Aiden had been the first time and like Harry was to Charlotte - she just wanted someone to chase her because that is always the fun part! She was all about how the romance is dead but when the Russian started doing it, she told him it's too much. I agree that his actions may not have been up everyone's alley, but she constantly says how she wants a thing and when a love interest presents her with that thing, she turns away from it.

I was never sold on Carrie and Big as this amazing, star-crossed romance and it seemed more like they were good to end up together because that way they will hurt only each other and not cheat on their significant others. I actually think they worked much better when they were being just friends as I finally saw some depth to their interactions.

And when Aiden gave her the documents for the apartment, she acted completely childish about how he put her such an ultimatum (which I loved because he was completely right in doing so, he put a lot of money into making a home for them) and how she had no goddamn clue how much money she has spent on shoes (you can't seriously believe hundred of designer shoes cost like $4000 only?!) and how she told Charlotte she should give up on wearing her ring - you have no right or expectation to do that! - and how Charlotte should have offered her the money as if being friends means she has to! Like for real, Miranda offered money to her clueless best friend and she was expecting a pretty expensive baby care! Carrie wasn't in a bad situation because she had no job or was paying off other debts - she puts herself in $400 shoes and did not think about her finances at all.

Hugely disappointed we didn't get more of Samantha/Charlotte/Miranda's friendship without throwing in Carrie in there because at the end it looks more like they are Carrie's soulmates instead of each other's.

Overall, I always enjoy watching the series on reruns but I can write 10 different things I dislike about every episode (9 of those would be disproving Carrie's fashion style).

Edited by NicoleQueen
  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/13/2017 at 9:27 PM, Melancholy said:

I get why Miranda left Robert for Steve. But I think it was a mistake. Miranda and Steve *were* really drawn to each other. I wouldn't  call it deep sexual chemistry. But it was romance based on deep familiarity- how long they've known each other, how they repeatedly got back together, Brady most importantly, probably shared Irish heritage. That's certainly important. However it wasn't enough. Miranda never thought Steve was good enough for her- with good reason. And Miranda would deal with those feelings by being bitchy or by being a guilt ridden doormat. Steve was so dependent that he was a source of stress. I don't think they were happily married in the movies. Miranda should have given Robert a chance because he could be a full partner on her level. The familiarity takes time to develop. I think Miranda could have been a lot happier in the long run if she gave Robert some time to fit into her family.  

 

On 6/13/2017 at 6:08 PM, Melancholy said:

And Blair Underwood as a doctor. For the Knicks. Who would watch stuff like Jules & Mimi. Who threw himself into doctoring her through the chicken pox or cooking dinner or putting on Brady's party without being asked. Yes, Steve seemed to be a decent father and after they married, he was actually more helpful. But generally, Steve was the incompetent, whiny child to be catered to. 

It always seemed to me that Robert was one of those people who when you meet him is perfect and fits in with every part of your life and would even gladly look after your child... but would in the long run turn out to not be the shining knight you expected. It's pretty easy to say they were great for each other in that early stage but given how he reacted to Steve and Miranda getting back together (which of course would be very shitty to him, but his behavior afterwards was a bit too immature for me), I'm not sold on how he was going to be the guy for Miranda.

I like Steve better because while they had problems together, they learned from them and were able to improve themselves, Steve matured and Miranda opened herself. They learned how to make their relationship work, how to compromise and while it may not have been the instant attraction Miranda and Robert have, I definitely think they had something which could actually work long-term. Relationships (whether romantic or platonic) do require work to be sustained and that is something which they did IMO harder than any other couple on the show (Carrie and Big should have tried that too).

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

I think this was one of my favorite Samanthan moments ("You bitch. Lets go").

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, BBHN said:

I think this was one of my favorite Samanthan moments ("You bitch. Lets go").

 

I loved this episode if only because it showed how loyal a friend Sam was.  All Charlotte had to do was say "she stole my baby name."  Charlotte wasn't pregnant, had no expectation of being pregnant anytime soon and names are obviously public domain but Sam immediately went after her, in order to defend Charlotte.   

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×