Jump to content
Dougal

All Episodes Talk: Crime And Punishment

Recommended Posts

On 2019-01-15 at 10:26 AM, Lovecat said:

Oh, come sit next to me!  I feel bad saying it, because what Amanda went through, but I remember disliking her when I first saw this story. Her mom, though? A superhero.  And that sting by the RCMP was a masterpiece. The Mounties always get their man!

Yea I feel awful but I don't like her either, plenty was glossed over in her book. They have her on tape asking her mom to basically take the money The families raised to brinG just her home and leave Nigel there. Granted she was being tortured. His family sounded all sorts of awful too. Amanda and Nigel are not on speaking terms. https://www.macleans.ca/news/world/escape-from-hell/

Edited by sainte-chapelle
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/16/2019 at 4:57 PM, cooksdelight said:

I could not find a Crime Watch Daily thread in this new screwy forum, but knew you all would know Chris Hansen.

https://wlos.com/news/entertainment/to-catch-a-predator-host-chris-hansen-arrested-for-larceny?fbclid=IwAR1YlkmIwwuBGyQoTIMhrBb9WQuuJsSn1P2dT5bkp9viiAuDivf5PMAdiF8

Isn't it ironic... don't you think? I watched Crime Watch Daily all the time, and was bummed when they got rid of the Australian guy for Chris Hansen.

Edited by TVbitch
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

I hope justice is served to R. Kelly, but I do prefer my Dateline stick to murder mysteries. 

And I wish documentary shows would puhleaze do away with the close up shots of the victim sloooowly turning their head to the camera in silence. It does not add gravitas, it just seems forced and awkward. 

  • Like 17

Share this post


Link to post

A friend of mine bought R Kelly’s former home. She said it was surreal watching the various shows about him on TV while in the bedroom he used to be in. She had no idea it was his home until she closed on the house and saw his name on the paperwork.

  • Like 8
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post

Regarding the R Kelly episode: that young girl who chased after him despite knowing his child pornography past told her mother she went to live with her grandmother and instead moved in with him at age 15/16. Umm her mom never bothered to follow up on this?? 

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, One Tough Cookie said:

Hey guys--we need a Pam Huppdate!  Anyone hear/read anything?

It sure goes slower in real life than on Dateline!  The latest I heard was that Hupp’s lawyers tried to get any mention of Betsy’s murder thrown out of her upcoming murder trial. The judge gave a big nope to her lawyers on that one, so the relevant details of that investigation will be included. 

Edited by Lsk02
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

The two hour episode on Sunday had a nice update but it sickens me when a murderer gets consessions for fessing up where the body is. That guy was full on look Dateline in the eye and lie sociopath . Acting like him buying a tarp, gloves and shovel was no big deal. Yeah, cuz every apartment dweller needs a huge shovel.   

  • Like 17

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

it sickens me when a murderer gets consessions for fessing up where the body is.

Especially when what he gets is the x-box games he had loved so much before he went to prison.  This creep is actually better off for having murdered Venus. Now he gets to spend his days playing games without any worries about food and shelter.

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, TVbitch said:

The two hour episode on Sunday had a nice update but it sickens me when a murderer gets consessions for fessing up where the body is. That guy was full on look Dateline in the eye and lie sociopath . Acting like him buying a tarp, gloves and shovel was no big deal. Yeah, cuz every apartment dweller needs a huge shovel.   

Re the trial footage: I get that a lawyer might want to soften their client's image for the jury, but dressing a grown man like he's a six year old on Easter Sunday is just way overboard. It's such an obvious attempt at manipulation and it only makes him look guilty.  It reminded me of the Menendez brothers:

7WcHVg-2

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Regarding Venus’ murderous ex-husband and his precious X Box.... if I were the cops and prison officials, I would have made the deal. “Give us the location of her body, and we will install an X Box in the prison.”  Then once the body was recovered, as that dirt bag shuffled back to his cell and the door clanged  shut, I’d learn through the bars and say, “You held up your end of the deal, and so did we...the X Box has been delivered.  And YOU are banned from playing it, or watching others play it, or even saying ‘X Box’ for the remainder of your sentence, you moronic murdering son of a bitch.  Instead, you get to wear your Aloha clown shorts as your prison scrubs so everyone can be reminded of what a truly stupid person you are.”

But I wonder if the prisons with gaming systems controll which games they can play?  I would hope inmates convicted of violent crimes are not honing their first person shooter skills!  And they don’t let them play online do they?  Contact with other prisoners or relatives via the Internet doesn’t seem right either.

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, Stampiron said:

Re the trial footage: I get that a lawyer might want to soften their client's image for the jury, but dressing a grown man like he's a six year old on Easter Sunday is just way overboard. It's such an obvious attempt at manipulation and it only makes him look guilty.  It reminded me of the Menendez brothers:

7WcHVg-2

Lessie Abrms is a pieceof shit. That's all

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

But I wonder if the prisons with gaming systems controll which games they can play?  I would hope inmates convicted of violent crimes are not honing their first person shooter skills!  And they don’t let them play online do they?  Contact with other prisoners or relatives via the Internet doesn’t seem right either.

Well we know they're getting bigger and stronger every day through their weight lifting programs, and they manage to meet, fall in love with, and marry women somehow. Oh, if they would only let us run the big house, there would be no repeat offenders.

"Aloha clown shorts," chuckle out loud.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Amazing how Venus' lying sack of shit husband could look the camera straight on and lie, lie, lie.  I had a boss like that - pure sociopath- she could look anybody straight in the eye and lie.  Very scary dealing with people like that - no guilt, no remorse, just a relentless desire to get what they want in life.     At least in this case, the murder's sister actually believed that he did it and helped get some closure for Venus' mother in asking that her brother reveal where he buried Venus.   I'm always left shaking my head when you have the murderer's family members who still believe that their son/daughter/father/mother is totally innocent despite all evidence to the contrary short of the murder being caught on video. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

I did not think this story merited a 2-hour episode. In fact, no story about a dead woman who was in the middle of a divorce and nasty custody battle needs more than, say, 10 minutes. It's not exactly a mystery, it's more of a study in how the police put the clues together. Which: duh. 

That said, there was a particularly effective overhead shot of the forest clearing where Venus's body was buried. Dateline managed to find the most chilling piece of music they could find to accompany that shot.

I think the most horrific detail of this case was that her husband killed her and left her dead body with their two babies. He clearly did not care whether or not the children lived - it's possible nobody could have found her body for days.*

e.t.a. I am apparently mixing up my dead wives killed by husbands in the middle of nasty custody battles. My bad! Thanks 12catcrazy. 

Edited by iMonrey
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

@imoney , I'm confused - in the case where Venus was murdered, the husband kidnapped her from her parents driveway and hauled her away.  Was there another murder story that I missed?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, 12catcrazy said:

 

I'm sleep deprived. Don't mind me.

Edited by Court
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

We were out for breakfast the other day and I found a Joyce/Tilly look alike --from the bleached yellow frizzy hair that looked like it hadn't been brushed ( with dark roots)  the bangs, squarish glasses and mouth breathing.

I wanted to go over and ask he how she escaped, but my husband didn't want me to.

Edited by One Tough Cookie
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/21/2019 at 7:41 PM, JudyObscure said:

Especially when what he gets is the x-box games he had loved so much before he went to prison.  This creep is actually better off for having murdered Venus. Now he gets to spend his days playing games without any worries about food and shelter.

I did read somewhere (and I wish I had the link) that the prison was already thinking about getting video games (It’s apparently a prison program across the country.) so this just kind of accelerated it. Also that they can only play 30 minutes a day, not the 6-10 a day that Doug was doing pre-murder. So I hope he’s still miserable in prison. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I finally got around to watching the R Kelly episode. I hate to say it but some of the witnesses were just not credible. In particular the girl who lived with him and said he "wouldn't feed her." Feed her? Was she living in a cage? The way she would stop to dab her eyes then carefully say "it's difficult to talk about" seemed ultra performative. Plus the fact that she went home to her parents and they sued him for millions instead of calling the police is shady as hell.

Not saying R Kelly is innocent but I do have to give the side-eye to some of these claimants. I'm sure there's some truth in all of it but at the end of the day they went into those relationships willingly and came out of them deciding to see what kind of money they could make.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I finally got around to watching the R Kelly episode. I hate to say it but some of the witnesses were just not credible. In particular the girl who lived with him and said he "wouldn't feed her." Feed her? Was she living in a cage?

Did you watch the Lifetime documentary?  I did so I didn't watch this.  But there is a psychological aspect to abuse.  It doesn't just start out with him not feeding her.  It's why he selected underage girls and vulnerable women.

As for a lawsuit, well, the police haven't been able to do much.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I'm sure there's some truth in all of it but at the end of the day they went into those relationships willingly and came out of them deciding to see what kind of money they could make.

Yeah, like divorce. :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

Did you watch the Lifetime documentary? 

No I haven't seen it. Let me be clear - in no way am I defending R Kelly and I believe he's a serial abuser. I'm just saying some of the women from this episode are not the kind of witnesses you'd want up on the stand in a trial because the defense could tear them apart. I found one in particular particularly disingenuous. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

There’s a Friday night episode coming on at 10 ET about OJ and the infamous Bronco chase. I wish they’d stop giving him attention.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/20/2019 at 4:55 PM, One Tough Cookie said:

Hey guys--we need a Pam Huppdate!  Anyone hear/read anything?

The trial has been moved back a couple of times and is now set for June 2019.

Some good news: Both the prosecutor and the judge in the Faria case lost their primary challenges last August. 

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/lincoln-county-voters-sweep-out-of-office-key-figures-in/article_41fbd1b3-a621-59f5-a412-40d544337e55.html

Edited by Stampiron
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/28/2019 at 7:19 PM, cooksdelight said:

There’s a Friday night episode coming on at 10 ET about OJ and the infamous Bronco chase. I wish they’d stop giving him attention.

I turned it off as soon as I saw what it was about. I have no interest in that, lived through it once don't really need it repeated

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post

Unless somebody here says it is worth a watch, I am skipping this one, too. Refuse to give any attention to OJ ....or Kris Jenner!

Dateline needs to stick to its bread and butter mysteries.  

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/31/2019 at 5:29 AM, Stampiron said:

Some good news: Both the prosecutor and the judge in the Faria case lost their primary challenges last August. 

KARMA, BITCH!!!  :-)

And may Pamela Hupp ROT - in every way possible.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

Dateline needs to stick to its bread and butter mysteries.  

Yeah, first R Kelly and now OJ. What's up with that? Did they run out of husbands who killed their wives while in the midst of a nasty divorce and custody battle?

Quote

Did Dateline do a story about this case? I’m thinking the father and girlfriend got rid of her....

It sounds familiar. It could be similar to something else I saw but I recall thinking the girlfriend was shifty.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

The girlfriend said she was sleeping in the same room with the kids.... if someone comes into my house in the middle of the night, I hear them. Unless I’m stoned out on drugs as the two adults were eventually arrested for.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

We have a similar story up here, but no one's ever been arrested, no body found, and the father has moved out of state and clammed up.  I have vivid memories of divers going into the freezing river, in December, in Maine, day after day.  Every Christmas I think of this sweet baby and what she must have gone through, whether she somehow wandered off into the snow or was taken by someone.  Maybe there'd be some answers if Dateline shone a light.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

WTF?!?  This is the second time my DVR recorded an episode of Dateline, only to show me some Jeopardy/Wheel of Fortune nonsense.

I am not amused.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post

The story of Michelle and Conrad is just tragic all around. Clearly she was a messed up kid herself. I actually found her defense somewhat plausible, in that she was being treated and medicated at the same time - not that I buy into it 100% but both she and Conrad were really screwed up. The whole thing is just sad.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

The story of Michelle and Conrad is just tragic all around. Clearly she was a messed up kid herself. I actually found her defense somewhat plausible, in that she was being treated and medicated at the same time - not that I buy into it 100% but both she and Conrad were really screwed up. The whole thing is just sad.

I don’t buy her story one iota. She’s a sociopath who,talked that poir kid into killing himself. Yes, he had mental issues, but she preyed on him. I don’t even think it was only about getting attention mi think she got a thrill about having the kind of power over someone. 

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Whimsy said:

I don’t buy her story one iota. She’s a sociopath who,talked that poir kid into killing himself. Yes, he had mental issues, but she preyed on him. I don’t even think it was only about getting attention mi think she got a thrill about having the kind of power over someone. 

I agree. She can miss me with her whole defense because she was caught by her own texts telling him to get back into the car and finish the job.  There was nothing “poor-me/I’m screwed up too/I really really tried to get him help” about her.  That was some evil shit.

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Supagirl said:

I agree. She can miss me with her whole defense because she was caught by her own texts telling him to get back into the car and finish the job.  There was nothing “poor-me/I’m screwed up too/I really really tried to get him help” about her.  That was some evil shit.

Same here.  OK, apparently there were texts quite a while back where she said they could go to rehab together, they needed help, etc.  However, I think that was more proof of her wanting to establish power over him than a genuine desire to help him.  

What I found really appalling was her reaching out to his Mom and other family members after the suicide repeatedly offering condolences, etc....stressing she was his girlfriend.   Plus, that charity event gave me the creeps....more attention-seeking b.s.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

She, and her fugly eyebrows, needs to be locked away forever. Nasty little self-centered you-know-what.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, TVbitch said:

What on earth was going on with that girl's eyebrows? 

She had caterpillars glued to her forehead.

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

She had caterpillars glued to her forehead.

Immaculately groomed caterpillars, for God's Sack.

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

I learned a lot more about Michelle from this and now I think she is a more evil and vile person than I had thought before. Conrad’s mom was a saint in my book. Her statement about feeling empathy for Michelle’s parents because at least she knew she had a good son was amazing. It was a little shady but I’ll cut her total slack on that. The whole thing was just so sad.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/21/2019 at 7:41 PM, JudyObscure said:

Especially when what he gets is the x-box games he had loved so much before he went to prison.  This creep is actually better off for having murdered Venus. Now he gets to spend his days playing games without any worries about food and shelter.

I’m just starting this one, and I am disgusted that Dateline is interviewing the killer husband as he gives details on Venus’s life.  Bad call Dateline......very bad call.  Don’t give him any more attention.  Ugh!

Share this post


Link to post

Awe, Venus is with her daddy again.  Sad to hear he passed away before finding her though.

The detective said the XBox is for the whole unit, and the prison had decided to add one anyway, so the killer really got nothing.

Share this post


Link to post

Glad the second victim lived in Sunday night's episode, but really can't take hearing how murder and cancer are just part of God's perfect plan. facepalm-hand-gesture-smiley-emoticon.gi

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Y'all help me. Where did the 20/20 forum/topic disappear too? I don't see it on the all shows page....

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×