OnceSane

S20.E03: The Damned

I know this episode was written before the debate, Real Hillary didn't act like such a Turd Sandwich. But everything else was accurate. If only Real Giant Douche had as much self-awareness as Garrison does.

"Lost souls who quit twitter. Damned to wander the earth and hang out and stuff." I quite enjoyed the playground of lost souls. Cartman is still horrible. Women ARE funny. And black laughs matter. He's...actually connecting with someone. A girl, too. It's weird, yet touching to see. 

So the war on Skankhunt42 has begun. Who knows Gerald? I'm guessing it's an actual troll.

EDIT: Now we have Memberberry Pie. It's also weird seeing Randy as the (somewhat) sane adult in South Park again.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Like 3

And the plot thickens...

I love the irony that Garrison really is way more honest than his real-world counterpart. And Randy almost gets sucked into drinking the Kool-Aid, which I'm pretty sure is Member Berry flavored.

The chickens are coming to roost for Gerald. I was so sure that Ike was the one that figured it out, but I guess we will have to wait until next week to find out who. 

Whoa, so Cartman is so broken that he's actually being nice (for him, anyway). Or else there's something else going on. But he's definitely broken to the point he isn't actively seeking revenge on the boys. Butters is right to be scared...although his parents are so horrible, Cartman would actually be doing him a solid by giving him the Scott Tennerman treatment...

• Like 2

While not as good as last week, I really enjoyed this one.  Like the storylines a lot.  Who would have thought Gerald would have such an interesting storyline?  Really enjoying this Cartman storyline too, with him actually acting like a real person.

I laughed when they said no one leaves Twitter without posting a three-paragraph good-bye message.  So true.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Galileo908 said:

I know this episode was written before the debate, Real Hillary didn't act like such a Turd Sandwich.

I think her behaviour here is meant as more of a general statement about Hillary's candidacy as getting in her own way too much, as opposed to being specifically about the debate.

With the Member Berries constantly making 80s nostalgia references, I keep waiting for a more explicit reference to Stranger Things on the show.

It's interesting how PC Principal has at this point pretty much become a normal part of the show's ensemble.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, SeanC said:

With the Member Berries constantly making 80s nostalgia references, I keep waiting for a more explicit reference to Stranger Things on the show.

We have 7 episodes, it could still happen. On that same note, that farmer is modeled on Fred Gwynne from Pet Semetary (who's appeared before, I forget when).

Speaking of past episodes, aren't the Danes supposed to be the Canadians of Europe?  Complete with the beady little eyes and flapping heads so full of lies?  Why did that change?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Demian said:

Speaking of past episodes, aren't the Danes supposed to be the Canadians of Europe?  Complete with the beady little eyes and flapping heads so full of lies?  Why did that change?

Ooh, good point. 

Also, this exchange was killer:

"Ike, do you know who I am?"

"No...but I want to, Dad."

"Not like that, smartass!"

• Like 7

I loved the fields of Member Berries with their "Member the 80s" vs "Member the 90s"--i.e. Trump (symbol of 80s capitalism) vs Clinton (90s).  Competing nostalgias!

I feel like South Park was referencing something in the Heidi/Cartman subplot, but I can't figure out exactly what.

• Like 1

Actions have consequences, even on this show. Nice that Gerald is feeling remorse, but it's way too late for him. Kinda hate how there's probably not going to be a huge reason he went troll.

Not expecting Cartman's evolution to stick. Like Butters, I'm gearing up for the inevitable horror movie homage episode.

• Like 1

Dan Caffrey did post about a concern I had so far in the AV Club review of this episode...

However, with so much emphasis on plot continuity, it’s beginning to feel like these episodes have no individual identity.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Actions have consequences, even on this show. Nice that Gerald is feeling remorse, but it's way too late for him. Kinda hate how there's probably not going to be a huge reason he went troll.

Not expecting Cartman's evolution to stick. Like Butters, I'm gearing up for the inevitable horror movie homage episode.

I don't think Gerald felt much remorse, more worry that he'd get caught.  It's all fun and troll games until your anonymity is blown.  I kinda hope Sheila is the one who knows Gerald is the troll.  Or Tweek.  That would be random enough.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, OnceSane said:

I don't think Gerald felt much remorse, more worry that he'd get caught.  It's all fun and troll games until your anonymity is blown.  I kinda hope Sheila is the one who knows Gerald is the troll.  Or Tweek.  That would be random enough.

I was just coming to say this. Gerald isn't feeling remorseful, he's just terrified of the legal shitstorm of culpability in that athlete's suicide. And unless he's drinking Member Berry wine, the only reason for him going troll is that he thought it was funny to stir the pot and get people upset.

I'm really hoping that the consequences of his actions are severe...hell, I'm rooting for Sheila to divorce his troll ass when all is said and done.

Edited by Spartan Girl

23 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

And then he could fall for Liane. And Season 21 gets really, REALLY intense for Kyle and Cartman.

I'm still convinced that the "Eric is the kid of ex-Bronco Tenorman" story is a lie.  Leanne is his dad…and Sheila is his mom.  He and Kyle are half-brothers.  #justmytheory

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I was just coming to say this. Gerald isn't feeling remorseful, he's just terrified of the legal shitstorm of culpability in that athlete's suicide. And unless he's drinking Member Berry wine, the only reason for him going troll is that he thought it was funny to stir the pot and get people upset.

I'm really hoping that the consequences of his actions are severe...hell, I'm rooting for Sheila to divorce his troll ass when all is said and done.

To me, it's starting to look like a spoof of Hillary's email fiasco, complete with a suicide that's going to be pinned on him (i.e. Vince Foster)

I know that it's part of the joke, but do they ever explain WHY Mr. Garrison doesn't just drop out of the race if he doesn't want to be president anymore? 

4 hours ago, niklj said:

I know that it's part of the joke, but do they ever explain WHY Mr. Garrison doesn't just drop out of the race if he doesn't want to be president anymore? 

First episode of the season, Garrison said he couldn't drop out because then he'd look like a jackass. Now I guess they won't let him drop out.

• Like 1

I´m having trouble believing that danes would know anything about trolls, since their country literally has no mountains, and almost no hills. But I guess that says something about the accuracy of the plot in general, when that is the most far-fetched idea.

• Like 1

I keep thinking of the episode of Metalocalypse when Dethklok inadvertently unleashes a lake troll on Finland. I'd like to see that, but we had Cthulhu in the "Coon & Friends" arc.

On Thursday, September 29, 2016 at 0:04 AM, TyranAmiros said:

I loved the fields of Member Berries with their "Member the 80s" vs "Member the 90s"--i.e. Trump (symbol of 80s capitalism) vs Clinton (90s).  Competing nostalgias!

I feel like South Park was referencing something in the Heidi/Cartman subplot, but I can't figure out exactly what.

I'm with you on Heidi/Cartman.  Cartman seems to be engaging in an actual relationship and all the other boys have just been dumped. 

I don't know if one has anything to do with the other.  Just makes me think I'm missing something.

Does it have to do with technology.  That society connects through social media and not face to face anymore?  

I don't know.  This show has always been too smart for me.  In a good way.  Enjoying the ride this season.

Forgot to mention that Sharon's offscreen "GO TO HELL, RANDY!" when he's dissing her for considering Douche was hysterical.

As was Garrison expressing his contempt for his lemming supporters.

• Like 3

I was watching a rerun of this.

When they pulled up from Randy and the Member Berry pie to show Earth and then back down to Denmark about the trolls, something occurred to me.

I suddenly recalled that Earth is an intergalactic reality show.    Then I started wondering if that is what can tie everything together.  Its as good an explanation as any or giant douche vs Turd Sandwhich being the candidates.  Maybe the member berries were introduced to the planet because they want to reboot the TV show Earth because their ratings were higher in the 80s or 90s. 

• Like 2

I have to watch all of these again (and the first episode for the first time - I was out of the country and the only American TV station they had was CBS - boo), and maybe the first episode will have more of the member berries and I could be wrong, but the whole time I was watching this episode, I kept thinking that the berries voices reminded me of something else and it finally came to me! ... Now I may be the only one who thinks this, and I also may be the only one who might remember the reference - and I wouldn't blame you - but the member berries sound to me similar to the cockroaches from "Joe's Apartment" who used to talk Joe (Jerry O'Connell) into doing things. It turned out well in the end, but it didn't start out as such as the cockroaches didn't always have the best advice and they were somewhat meddlesome. Of course more likely it is coincidence, but I enjoyed the walk down memory lane (What can I say. I'm an Entomologist. I thought "Joe's Apartment" was cute. I also thought Jerry O'Connell was extremely brave/a good sport/ etc. because even I get the creeps thinking of working with all of those cockroaches, and I like bugs.)

By the way, when is the next episode? These cliffhangers are driving me crazy.