ottoDbusdriver

S28.E01: Monty Burns' Fleeing Circus

Episode Description:

When Springfield is burned to the ground, the Simpsons beg Mr. Burns to fund its rebuilding.

Burns agrees – with one condition: he gets to put on a variety show at the Springfield Bowl.

Intro: Kodos: Make the universe great again!

Billboard: Why Are They Hitting Themselves?

Chalkboard: This Arm Needs Tommy John Surgery

Couch Gag: Adventure Time! That was a really great mashup. Burns as Ice King! Lisa as Marceline! There's tons of great easter eggs in the background, like a mountain of Mr. Sparkle Boxes, Homer's Bear Fighting Suit, and the plant Homer stuck a paper plate Marge face onto.

"What a beautiful day to be in denial!" 

I quite liked this one. Quite a few neat cameos tonight. Steamboat Itchy! The Superfriends! Ghost Maude AND Ghost Edna! Plus Amy Schumer as Burns' mom (I guess Burns was fine with her affair with Taft at the time?)

Burns can't stand too many photons and buckles down under bright lights. That was a new one.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Like 2

I liked that the burnt Springfield spelled 'Singed'

I also liked how Mayor Quimby mispronounced Robert Chan's name.

I didn't quite get the new Lardlad statue -- obviously it was supposed to be a new and improved stylized version of the old Lardlad statue, but it didn't actually advertise "the brand".  It just looked like a big silvery melted version of Lardlad -- and that was before they put it in the tire fire.  Was that a giant coin slot in the back of the statue ? Speaking of the tire fire, is Ralph supposed to be dead since he was just covered in molten metal ?  That seemed like an odd choice by the writers.

Did this episode just run short on time -- and that explains the inclusion of the odd Bible-themed segment with Mary and her gnarly telepathic powers ?

I guess we just assume that Mr. Burns paid to rebuild Springfield exactly the same as it was BEFORE the fire, so next week there will be no changes.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Did this episode just run short on time -- and that explains the inclusion of the odd Bible-themed segment with Mary and her gnarly telepathic powers ?

They stuck on the Adventure Time couch gag for a few seconds, that indicated to me that the episode was short.

And with all the namechecking of Arnold Palmer tonight, he happened to just die. The Simpsons Curse worked quick tonight.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

They stuck on the Adventure Time couch gag for a few seconds, that indicated to me that the episode was short.

And with all the namechecking of Arnold Palmer tonight, he happened to just die. The Simpsons Curse worked quick tonight.

I just checked Google -- I had no idea Arnie passed away just today.  That is one wild coincidence.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Yeah, I just heard that he died and now I feel kind of weird that they were mentioning him on the show. Although, to be fair this episode was probably made several months ahead but still kind eerie. 

• Like 2

I normally cannot stand Amy Schumer but I actually liked her as Burns' mother. Also liked the Springfield sign spelling out Singed post-fire. I actually lol'd when Ghost Maude and then Ghost Edna showed up on either side of ole Ned. I still can't get over Arnold Palmer's passing and being mentioned on the show, talk about eerie!

I thought it was a weak premiere but will rewatch anyway. 

I knew Burns mom was Amy Schumer but she didn't sound like her to me. Also, Mayor Quimby's voice sounded off - not as boistrous. Maybe me sound on my TV wasn't working great. Poor Ralph, but I'm sure he'll be fine. He's died a few times over the years.

Solid episode, but light on plot for sure.

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 8:29 PM, Galileo908 said:

Couch Gag: Adventure Time! That was a really great mashup. Burns as Ice King! Lisa as Marceline! 

I initially liked it but it quickly became like an SNL sketch that dragged on and on and on...

I'm nitpicking here, but why was Mr. Burns the only way to rebuild the town? Did no one have insurance?

• Like 1

On 9/26/2016 at 0:59 PM, Kaboom 2.0 said:

I actually lol'd when Ghost Maude and then Ghost Edna showed up on either side of ole Ned. 

Is this the first time they explicitly showed that Edna was dead?  

7 hours ago, opus said:

Didn't Sheri or Teri also "die" this ep (in the magic trick)?

It looked like one of them died by drowning in that tank on the stage.

9 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

I initially liked it but it quickly became like an SNL sketch that dragged on and on and on...

I'm nitpicking here, but why was Mr. Burns the only way to rebuild the town? Did no one have insurance?

Good question.  How come Chanjin Smelting and Mining and Donuts and Tarps (that's right, they bought a tarp company just to cover up the statue because they were known as Chanjin Smelting and Mining and Donuts BEFORE the fire) that owned the Lardlad donut shop wasn't responsible for rebuilding everything ?   It was entirely their fault.

On 9/27/2016 at 8:47 PM, ottoDbusdriver said:

It looked like one of them died by drowning in that tank on the stage.

A reference to the Christopher Nolan film The Prestige.  If you haven't seen it, see it.  I won't spoil any of the plot details.