Jump to content
SilverStormm

Kevin Can Wait

Recommended Posts

Leah on Colbert last night mostly was there to plug her Scientology show on A&E which starts up again later this month. Colbert at the end of the interview asked about her role with Kevin and she said it's the same character as her previous episodes and she was happy that it was received so well and people wanted her back for the next season. No mention of the actress losing her job of course.

I like Leah, I really do, but to have an actress lose her job and moving right in with an old co-star doesn't sound kosher to me. Also Leah's face was again with the too much botox.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/8/2017 at 11:33 AM, AD35 said:

The only show I can recall that got away with that was Valerie/Valerie's Family/The Hogan Family back in the 80's with Valerie Harper being replaced by Sandy Duncan.  But that was an otherwise different circumstance behind the scenes.  In this case the two younger kids could go and I wouldn't miss them at all. But I do like Chale and his interactions with Kevin so he (and the oldest daughter) can stay for the 2nd season.

Sitcoms have killed off characters before:

  • James Evans, "Good Times"
  • Susan Ross (George's fiancée), "Seinfeld"
  • Henry Blake, "M*A*S*H
  • Dan Conner, "Roseanne" in the series finale

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, SmithW6079 said:

Sitcoms have killed off characters before:

  • James Evans, "Good Times"
  • Susan Ross (George's fiancée), "Seinfeld"
  • Henry Blake, "M*A*S*H
  • Dan Conner, "Roseanne" in the series finale

Spoiler alert.

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, bilgistic said:

Spoiler alert.

Hilarious! 

Considering there will a new Roseanne show (but is it a remake or revival?) they decided to basically ignore the fact that (SPOILER ALERT) Dan dies. Just typing that made me mad again, that was the worst show ending...well it was, until How I Met Your Mother. That was and still is fury-inducing, to the point I refuse to watch any old episodes. 

Apparently, nothing from my childhood will stay in the past. Hollywood is seriously in a creativity deficit. 

Edited by msani19
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

TV Land runs "King of Queens" nightly and I watched a few episodes last night after "Younger". KoQ never fails to make me laugh. Great cast, great chemistry, great writing. Lightning doesn't strike twice.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Agree that Kevin James looks great with a beard; and he looks like he's lost some weight. Leah needs to stop messing with her face like yesterday.

I hope that the eldest daughter has married during the time hop. No doubt we are going to be subjected to a VSE to reminisce about Donna, but having it be the wedding episode would be too heartbreaking. 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I've only seen a few episodes and was surprised to read that they are killing off the wife.  That's crazy. 

I just watched the rerun about the blood tests for the life insurance policy renewal.  I'm assuming the writers and producers were already planning to kill off the wife when they came up with that episode.  All that talk about moving on after one of them dies and the surprise that Donna's blood test results were the ones that were bad.   That could not have just been a coincidence, right?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Leah Remini shared a picture yesterday of her with the three kids so I assume they'll be staying on. I dono, it's not Reminis fault Hayes was fired for her to replace her but everything about this just feels so tasteless.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

I just don't care any more.  I used to love this show, and probably would have loved it had Leah been added, instead of replacing.  This show will not be in my viewing list at all.  Leaves a nasty taste in my mouth.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

I love Leah, but why is she lisping? Kevin should have chosen Leah from the start . He probably wanted to. Wonder why he didn't. It could have been  KoQ later with kids. I'd buy that plot.

Edited by ari333
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, ari333 said:

I love Leah, but why is she lisping? Kevin should have chosen Leah from the start . He probably wanted to. Wonder why he didn't. It could have been  KoQ later with kids. I'd buy that plot.

I think she's lisping cause of all the fillers.

He probably did want her to do the show. It could have been she said no or the network wanted something different.

I'd buy KOQ with kids too! It would be insane and I'd watch every episode!

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

That's why I nearly wish they'd just have left this show alone and then done a KOQ reunion. I think most people would love it. It just seems really messy and in poor taste how they've gone about it.. 

 

However if if it ends up working then I'll happily admit to being wrong.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
On 08/08/2017 at 2:58 PM, rcc said:

Also Leah's face was again with the too much botox.

Yes, I won't watch if that's the way she's going to look.  Enough.  I didn't think the show was that great anyway.  Just saw an episode of KofQ, first season, which was really funny.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/24/2017 at 10:53 PM, AnnaRose said:

I've only seen a few episodes and was surprised to read that they are killing off the wife.  That's crazy. 

I just watched the rerun about the blood tests for the life insurance policy renewal.  I'm assuming the writers and producers were already planning to kill off the wife when they came up with that episode.  All that talk about moving on after one of them dies and the surprise that Donna's blood test results were the ones that were bad.   That could not have just been a coincidence, right?

I had the same thought, but apparently they won't reveal how she died (at least not for the first batch of episodes). I get the sense this wasn't really planned out that well. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I finally watched the last two episodes of the season, and I really hated the police stuff.  Those two were just way too bumbling and idiotic as cops, and I found it super annoying to watch.  And what was up with Leah's gross long fingernails?   I thought it was specifically for her character here, but I stumbled across her Scientology show and she had them there too.  They are very distracting and kind of nasty-looking, IMO.

I will probably watch the premiere just out of curiosity, to see how they try to sell the show as a sitcom after killing off the wife/mom.  If they make it more of a cop show, they really should study Brooklyn Nine-Nine to see how a show based around a police precinct can actually be both smart and funny.  (It helps that the cops in B9-9 are mostly all very competent in their jobs.)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I'm looking forward to seeing the first show of this season. So many questions. But I do hope Leah and Kevin makes us laugh.

Share this post


Link to post

Sheesh why does mom have to die? Just disappear  like Darren/Bewitched  and Becky/Roseanne or get a divorce like a million other people. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, ari333 said:

Sheesh why does mom have to die? Just disappear  like Darren/Bewitched  and Becky/Roseanne or get a divorce like a million other people. 

Darren and Becky didn't disappear they got recast.  And, if they got divorced, the kids would have to disappear also.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

So how did the mom die? Why didn't they just keep her? Looks like Leah steps in as some kind of nanny,roomate or something.

How can he afford to keep the house? Is he still retired?

It's still not a good show

And once again we saw the other kids for a minute

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, jodie said:

So how did the mom die? Why didn't they just keep her? Looks like Leah steps in as some kind of nanny,roomate or something.

How can he afford to keep the house? Is he still retired?

It's still not a good show

And once again we saw the other kids for a minute

Yeah, I found it very odd that they didn't say how she died.  So, until I hear different I'm going to assume car accident.    Maybe she had life insurance.  Or they sued the driver of the car accident that I made up.

And, the whole thing seemed contrived.  Why did they hand the paperwork to Kevin to mail in?  These are adults. They aren't capable of putting a stamp on an envelope, or perhaps going to the post office to send it certified?  Chale (sp?) doesn't wornk either.  Who wouldn't want to make sure that something that important was done personally?

And, I know Kevin's a moron, but to even joke about Chale being a terrorist in an immigration office rivals the stupidity of the people with Taco Bell food who told airport security it was "the bomb"

  • Like 16

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, Katy M said:

And, if they got divorced, the kids would have to disappear also.

I wish!  I was disappointed to see the kids still there.  The supporting cast is just bad, nothing to do with the wife.  Not really a great season premiere.  I wish somebody would tell Leah that all that face work doesn't make her look younger.  I didn't mind her part in the show, though.  Kevin sucked.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
54 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Darren and Becky didn't disappear they got recast.  And, if they got divorced, the kids would have to disappear also.

I don't think so. They actually set up a scenario where she could have plausibly left with her quitting her job spur the moment. They could have played it as a mid-life crisis and had her leave to "find" herself or something like that. It would have made as much sense as her mystery sudden death.

Kevin was way to stupid this episode. The show had major flaws but the actress who played Donna wasn't the problem. They still need sharper writing. Killing the character feels unearned so I'm actually glad they didn't dwell on it. The actress who plays the oldest daughter did a nice job carrying more of the show tonight. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

I hated that they killed off the mom. It felt unnecessary. They could have had her and Leah both on the show. I just found the whole situation stupid and pointless.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Dots And Stripes said:

I don't think so. They actually set up a scenario where she could have plausibly left with her quitting her job spur the moment. They could have played it as a mid-life crisis and had her leave to "find" herself or something like that. It would have made as much sense as her mystery sudden death.

I wish they had kept her, honestly.  But, I have to disagree that it would have made as much sense for her to leave to find herself.  People die unexpectedly all the time.  So, situationally it makes sense.  But, Donna never came across to me as the selfish and irresponsible type. So, her just up and leaving because she was sick of her husband and kids or whatever would have been pure character assassination. I'd rather she die than that.  I mean, she's gone either way.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Just bad writing.  KofQ had a lot of funny episodes.  I watched one last night while flipping back to this dreck.  You would think Kevin James would know humor.  The kids and his friends aren't funny, Leah doesn't bring much.  The whole show needs rejigging.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

I thought this show couldn't get any worse... I was wrong.  They should have kept Donna and just decreased her air time.  The two younger kids are barely in it (why they are even part of the show, I have no idea) and they could have done the same with Donna.  Have Donna speak a few lines and off to work or up the stairs she goes.  The writing in the season premiere was just awful.  Awful! I felt the actors were checked out as well.  The only funny (I use the term loosely) character is Chale and he was pretty bad.  Unfortunately, Leah didn't help at all.  I'm cool with her just doing her Scientology show - that show is riveting, unlike the crap that is Kevin Can Wait.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, Katy M said:

Yeah, I found it very odd that they didn't say how she died.  So, until I hear different I'm going to assume car accident.    Maybe she had life insurance.  Or they sued the driver of the car accident that I made up.

And, the whole thing seemed contrived.  Why did they hand the paperwork to Kevin to mail in?  These are adults. They aren't capable of putting a stamp on an envelope, or perhaps going to the post office to send it certified?  Chale (sp?) doesn't wornk either.  Who wouldn't want to make sure that something that important was done personally?

And, I know Kevin's a moron, but to even joke about Chale being a terrorist in an immigration office rivals the stupidity of the people with Taco Bell food who told airport security it was "the bomb"

i thought accident also. it felt very weird. like they knew they had to mention that the mother died but they did't seem all that shook up about it. it has been a year but still. wife and mother. it was like they were talking about a great grandma they hardly knew. 

stupid show. watching because i love kevin and leah. with they were together in a better written sitcom though.

1 hour ago, useryikes said:

Just bad writing.  KofQ had a lot of funny episodes.  I watched one last night while flipping back to this dreck.  You would think Kevin James would know humor.  The kids and his friends aren't funny, Leah doesn't bring much.  The whole show needs rejigging.

this show can not hold a candle to king of queens. kevin and leah deserve much better. too bad.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

My bar for what I watch on tv is pretty low.  Just make me laugh damn it.  I lasted 15 minutes... Who are the writers for this show? Hope they are saving their checks.  This is what they came up with to explain the wife's death? One line about her death and then a non-funny joke.  The daughter and Chale are just not funny.  Matter of fact the whole show is just not funny.  Leah Remini looks like a weird version of herself.  At this point I'll be dvr'ing just to see how bad it's going to get before CBS puts it out of it's misery which shouldnt be too much longer.  In the meantime I'll watch King of Queens on TV Land and remember how funny Doug and Carrie used to be.  

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah, it's a sitcom. 

But instead of laughing, I was thinking - those poor kids!  Their mom died, and all they have is this incompetent self-centered clueless jerk to look after them.  

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

Everyone keeps saying they could have let Donna stay in the show but just with less air-time. I don't think they want to do that because if they did, they cannot pair Kevin & Leah romantically. The previews for next week look as if they are already heading that way, not to mention the way she jumped in and helped the daughter with her wedding - like a stepmom would.  And I also concur on Leah's lip injections or whatever it is - she looks good but her lips look clownish or "ducky". It's a shame because she's a very pretty lady.

I agree with everyone else on the point that they should have just done an updated version of KoQ. In the last show of the series, Doug & Carrie had decided to adopt the baby and did I dream it that Carrie was also pregnant? Either way, they could have shown them with a teenager (or more) now. We could have seen some of the others as well. 

All this being said, I will still keep watching - at least for awhile - and see how it goes. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, llewis823 said:

I agree with everyone else on the point that they should have just done an updated version of KoQ. In the last show of the series, Doug & Carrie had decided to adopt the baby and did I dream it that Carrie was also pregnant? Either way, they could have shown them with a teenager (or more) now. We could have seen some of the others as well. 

Yes, she found out she was pregnant while they were in China to pick up the baby.  The final scene of the show was a flashforward showing Doug trying to calm one baby down, and CArrie the other and then I think Arthur walked through doing something annoying and not at all helpful.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I hadn't read of the wife dying and was really pissed off when I found out last night.  I won't be watching.....I really liked her.  Thought she was funny and besides...every time I see Leah R

I think of Scientology.  I actually had to rewind to make sure I heard them right when Kevin let it be known she was dead!  No more watching....

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I was reading Entertainment Weekly & apparently they are going to address how she died later.  

There was a lot of complaining on social media about the lack of chemistry between Kevin & Erin, & now everyone is sorry!  Careful what you wish for!  I think they should have just started over, with a new concept.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, llewis823 said:

I agree with everyone else on the point that they should have just done an updated version of KoQ. In the last show of the series, Doug & Carrie had decided to adopt the baby and did I dream it that Carrie was also pregnant? Either way, they could have shown them with a teenager (or more) now. We could have seen some of the others as well. 

As it is now, it's pretty much KoQ-adjacent, with Kevin and Leah in the lead roles as a couple (kind of) and instead of Arthur living in the basement there's Chale living upstairs in the garage. With Gary Valentine playing a relative of Kevin. I was expecting to hear Donna's death mentioned early on in the ep with the wacky hi-jinks later on.  With Donna gone I was expecting a more mature Kevin Gable to step up to the plate, instead it was just more of the same man-child from season 1.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, useryikes said:

I was reading Entertainment Weekly & apparently they are going to address how she died later.  

There was a lot of complaining on social media about the lack of chemistry between Kevin & Erin, & now everyone is sorry!  Careful what you wish for!  I think they should have just started over, with a new concept.

i'm not sorry. i didn't really like the character/actress. i'm sorry that whoever writes this show, sucks big time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I feel like such a bad person. I don't care that they just killed off the mom.  Maybe it's my years of soap opera days where they recast all the time or they would bring back old love interests, it doesn't really bother me.  Last night's episode was crazy and all over the place but I think KJ and LR have awesome chemistry and comedic timing together. The writing could be better but I think they do a lot with what they have.  

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Katy M said:

Yes, she found out she was pregnant while they were in China to pick up the baby.  The final scene of the show was a flashforward showing Doug trying to calm one baby down, and CArrie the other and then I think Arthur walked through doing something annoying and not at all helpful.

Really unhelpful. Arthur announced that his marriage didn't work out and he was moving back in.

I think Leah on the show is a kind of one trick pony. From a few viewings, it looks like a bizarro "Last Man Standing."

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

"Kids....This is how I buried your mother.  LEAH REMINI!!!!!!!!!!  What was I talking about again?  Oh whatever it was it must not have been that important.  I'll figure it out eventually.  But anyway kids the important thing is Leah Remini is here so...why are you so sad someone die?"  

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, Clare said:

I feel like such a bad person. I don't care that they just killed off the mom.  Maybe it's my years of soap opera days where they recast all the time or they would bring back old love interests, it doesn't really bother me.  Last night's episode was crazy and all over the place but I think KJ and LR have awesome chemistry and comedic timing together. The writing could be better but I think they do a lot with what they have.  

 

With all the reboot nonsense, why wouldn't they just scrap this and redo King of Queens?

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×