PreviouslyTV

Steven Hill, Law & Order's Adam Schiff, Has Passed Away

He perfectly captured a mix of sympathy and disgust when his best friend's son arranged his own kidnapping. The father let the son escape prosecution and then Adam had to prosecute his friend. [Can't remember if it was Stone or McCoy] 

• Like 5

I was just coming to post this.  :-(  So we have lost both Fred Thompson and Steven Hill in the same year. RIP, Mr. Hill. Adam Schiff was one of a kind! (At least in my mind!)

• Like 5

They just aired Vaya Con Dios on TNT. I think I'll watch it when I get home. As his final appearance and a typically great understated performance it seems like a fitting way to mark the occasion. It's sad to see him go. I guess he's trading dry one-liners with Jerry now.

• Like 9

I read an interview with Hill (years ago), in which he described the delight he took in reworking his scenes so that he had as little dialogue as was possible. He was truly happiest when he could convey all the tired disgust required by simply sucking his teeth.

I hope his plea agreement with the afterlife is a cushy one.

• Like 10

20 minutes ago, attica said:

I hope his plea agreement with the afterlife is a cushy one.

John Fugelsang tweeted something similar:

Dear Steven Hill -if you go before St. Peter, take the deal.

• Like 12

My favorite DA. My favorite scenes of Adam Schiff is the episode where his friend the judge was corrupt. He walked into the interrogation room and they all walked out without a word. It showed their respect for him. He then told the lawyer to get out and the observing Jack and cops to turn off the sound. He was so stern, determined, disgusted, and weary. 

Rest in peace, Steven. My condolences to his family and friends.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Like 7

My other favorite Adam Shiff moment was the episode where they disconnected his wife's life support. The sound that he made was indescribable. It was a sob crossed with despair. It was heartbreaking.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Like 15

5 hours ago, paigow said:

He perfectly captured a mix of sympathy and disgust when his best friend's son arranged his own kidnapping. The father let the son escape prosecution and then Adam had to prosecute his friend. [Can't remember if it was Stone or McCoy] 

Snatched - Season 4.

My favorite Adam-Is-Disgusted episode is in Season 6 - Jeopardy.  When his old friend is a judge that was bought off by a wealthy family to throw out the case against their son.

My favorite DA. My favorite scenes of Adam Schiff is the episode where his friend the judge was corrupt. He walked into the interrogation room and they all walked out without a word. It showed their respect for him. He then told the lawyer to get out and the observing Jack and cops to turn off the sound. He was so stern, determined, disgusted, and weary. 

Great minds!

Edited by ChlcGirl
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, SimoneS said:

My other favorite Adam Shiff moment was the episode where they disconnected his wife's life support. The sound that he made was indescribable. It was a sob crossed with despair. It was heartbreaking.

Hands down that scene is my favourite from Mr. Schiff.  Without words from him we know just how much he's hurting.

• Like 6

That ending scene in Terminal is one of my favorite moments in the entire series. Still breaks my heart whenever I watch it. Steven Hill really was a gem. May he rest in peace.

• Like 7

BW Manilowe just posted this in the General Discussion thread -
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/awardcentral/2016/08/26/wetv-plans-law-and-order-marathon-to-honor-steven-hill/89408726/

Next Tuesday's Binge-a-Thon will be a Steven Hill tribute. The episodes they picked are

"Terminal" (8 ET/PT)

"Burned" (9 ET/PT)

"Under the Influence" (10 ET/PT)

"Bad Girl" (11 ET/PT)

"Monster" (12 a.m. ET/PT)

There were plenty of great episodes to chose from and long as "Terminal" was one of them I don't think I can argue (I have to agree with those above who find that ending scene to be his single most memorable one in the series (so powerful and yet no histrionics or even departing at all from his usual restrained style) although I probably would have tried to pick an episode from the first 4 seasons.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, wknt3 said:

BW Manilowe just posted this in the General Discussion thread -
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/awardcentral/2016/08/26/wetv-plans-law-and-order-marathon-to-honor-steven-hill/89408726/

Next Tuesday's Binge-a-Thon will be a Steven Hill tribute. The episodes they picked are

"Terminal" (8 ET/PT)

"Burned" (9 ET/PT)

"Under the Influence" (10 ET/PT)

"Bad Girl" (11 ET/PT)

"Monster" (12 a.m. ET/PT)

There were plenty of great episodes to chose from and long as "Terminal" was one of them I don't think I can argue (I have to agree with those above who find that ending scene to be his single most memorable one in the series (so powerful and yet no histrionics or even departing at all from his usual restrained style) although I probably would have tried to pick an episode from the first 4 seasons.

Unfortunately it's not/probably not the whole Binge-a-Thon, since they usually start it at 5 or 6PM Eastern on Tuesdays, but the Adam Schiff/Steven Hill tribute is still the majority of it. And all the tribute eps are from S7 & S8.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Unfortunately it's not/probably not the whole Binge-a-Thon, since they usually start it at 5 or 6PM Eastern on Tuesdays, but the Adam Schiff/Steven Hill tribute is still the majority of it. And all the tribute eps are from S7 & S8.

Thanks for the additional info. Since I usually DVR it and watch a few episodes at a time based on what I find interesting I don't really pay attention to how many episodes they air at a time. I thought the spread of seasons was a little more, but checking it out you're correct. I'm getting older and my memory isn't what it used to be. Hopefully nobody steals my identity and sells my house so I have to track them down and kill them! A little disappointing that they didn't dip into other seasons to show the full range of Hill's work, but still a nice gesture.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, wknt3 said:

A little disappointing that they didn't dip into other seasons to show the full range of Hill's work, but still a nice gesture.

I agree. Some of my favorite episodes-- "Life Choice," "Indifference"  and a slew of others with Michael Moriarty, have some very good Ben and Adam scenes. Very disappointing. One would think that Jack McCoy was the only Executive DA throughout this series. I would have preferred the best from each season.  But that's just me.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

One would think that Jack McCoy was the only Executive DA throughout this series.

He's not, but I'm betting the average Joe or Jane associates Jack McCoy well before Ben Stone, right or wrong, if just because of the fact that McCoy was on the show much longer. (And, aside from WE, it seems like most stations give short shrift to S1-4 in terms of syndication.)

3 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

He's not, but I'm betting the average Joe or Jane associates Jack McCoy well before Ben Stone, right or wrong, if just because of the fact that McCoy was on the show much longer. (And, aside from WE, it seems like most stations give short shrift to S1-4 in terms of syndication.)

I don't caaaaaaaaare! I still don't like it. And I think the early seasons get short shrift because they weren't afraid to tackle controversial issues. In today's social climate, they could be described as "politically incorrect."  I noticed that with Jack McCoy seasons and onward, the show became more...shiny. More...polished. And the powerful episodes were far few and in between.

5 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

One would think that Jack McCoy was the only Executive DA throughout this series.

Everyone knows he's not! But to be fair Schiff never worked with Mike Cutter...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wknt3 said:

Thanks for the additional info. Since I usually DVR it and watch a few episodes at a time based on what I find interesting I don't really pay attention to how many episodes they air at a time. I thought the spread of seasons was a little more, but checking it out you're correct. I'm getting older and my memory isn't what it used to be. Hopefully nobody steals my identity and sells my house so I have to track them down and kill them! A little disappointing that they didn't dip into other seasons to show the full range of Hill's work, but still a nice gesture.

You're welcome. I knew all the eps are from S7 & S8 because it was in the articles (there were at least 2--the USA Today 1 I linked to, & 1 on EW.com, Entertainment Weekly's website) announcing the tribute mini-marathon.