Chris Knight

Jill & Derick Dullard: Counting On (Donations)

On 2/17/2019 at 3:44 PM, GeeGolly said:

Hmmm, I'm not sure about that. I think Cathy has been happy and supportive in Derick's goals of being a missionary. Religion seems to be very important to Cathy and she doesn't seem to act as if prestige is important. Walmart may pay well at the corporate level, but I'm doubting it pays enough for Cathy to have that kind expendable cash laying around, especially after cancer treatment and nearing retirement age.

Oh, I completely agree that Cathy is supportive of missions! I could see her not being blind to the reality that Derick can't hack it, though. She might have been all for that career path until he got fired from SOS and then failed to secure anything with Cross Church, and then suggested he try something academic again, since he seemed to do okay enough in college to graduate with an accounting degree. While she may be in favor of missions, it it's obvious Derick can't make a living at it, she might nudge him in another direction. If I had a kid who wanted to be a doctor, I would be super supportive of that, but if they made all D's in college, I would encourage them to see reality too. 

Edited by Christina87
  • Like 1

I never could understand why Derrick didn’t just go back to school to get his graduate degree to become a CPA. It should have been easier for him since he had the undergraduate degree already, would have probably taken less time and CPAs make good money!

• Like 9

Dreck reminds me of my dead friend's husband.  It took him around 6 years to get his undergrad degree because he kept on changing majors.  He then could not keep a fulltime job for more than a year.  All the jobs were beneath him and his great, unrealized writing talent. He was so emotionally stunted that he had to be reminded on a daily basis to brush his teeth.  My friend had to remind him to shower, change his underwear, etc.  She bought into his numerous excuses throughout the years.  None of her friends nor her sister liked him.  We just put up with him because of her.  His father died when he was in high school and he developed a codependent relationship with his mother after that.  Somehow only a few months after my friend unexpectedly died, he started dating his current wife.  He now works a boring job while his wife takes care of their 3 sons since he cannot be trusted to care for them.  And surprisingly,  he has never published that novel.  

• Like 3
  • Laugh 1
  • Surprise 2
  • Sad 2

25 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Dreck reminds me of my dead friend's husband.  It took him around 6 years to get his undergrad degree because he kept on changing majors.  He then could not keep a fulltime job for more than a year.  All the jobs were beneath him and his great, unrealized writing talent. He was so emotionally stunted that he had to be reminded on a daily basis to brush his teeth.  My friend had to remind him to shower, change his underwear, etc.  She bought into his numerous excuses throughout the years.  None of her friends nor her sister liked him.  We just put up with him because of her.  His father died when he was in high school and he developed a codependent relationship with his mother after that.  Somehow only a few months after my friend unexpectedly died, he started dating his current wife.  He now works a boring job while his wife takes care of their 3 sons since he cannot be trusted to care for them.  And surprisingly,  he has never published that novel.  

How do people like this even find spouses ?

• Like 7

52 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

He sounds like people I met in creative writing classes in college, whom are now unpublished professional students. . . .

Speaking of which, I think Derick finds the idea of the professional student life appealing but lacks the academic discipline or ability to hack it. 

• Like 4

I'm pretty sure that Derelict told Boob that he didn't have any debt when he asked to propose to Jill. I think he made it through undergrad with scholarships and grants.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

He reminds me of one woman's exploits that I follow online. She's in her late 30's and very morbidly obese (very!). She's a total narcissist who cannot admit that her weight is a health issue, and 'works' as a motivational speaker about weight issues. Her big shtick is that no one can lose weight and keep it off - ever! She's a complete grifter with no real job, and lies about having a degree and work history. She claims be an elite athlete, but never works out. She is in year five of a two year plan to run an IRONMAN triathlon. Oh, and now she's homeless - using air b'n'b for shelter.

Laziness and self-delusion ruins so many lives. I feel meta-sympathy for Jill and Derick.

I'm pretty sure that Derelict told Boob that he didn't have any debt when he asked to propose to Jill. I think he made it through undergrad with scholarships and grants.

"It's not debt if mom pays". Isn't this how Jim Bob skated around using medicaid for Josie?

Edited by JoanArc
  • Like 1

So I've been obsessed with Hamilton for a while now because it's coming to the theatre where I usher in July.  Anyway, I saw this video, and the girl playing Eliza looks a lot like Jill.  When you hear the lyrics, they sound like things Jill would have said, and the haste with which the engagement occurs sturck me as very Duggarish.  

(Mods, if this is in the wrong thread, please forgive me and move it.)