Lola16

Love It Or List It

I need a closet that big, man (and I do wear it all eventually). I just really dig clothing. I used my second BR in my old apartment as a closet/dressing room situation. It was fabulous (especially on nights when you just didn't feel like putting away the clean clothes immediately; just put the basket down and close the door). Now I have a large but inconveniently set up walk-in and it just ain't cutting it!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 1

Watching an old one with Cathy (who wants to move) and John (who wants to stay).  Don’t know how it ends so far, but Cathy is so unpleasant I am hoping for a divorce announcement after the last commercial break.  Fingers crossed!

Edited by Crs97
  • Like 3
  • Laugh 1

The latest episode featured a couple where the guy looked like Teller (?)--the quiet one in Penn and Teller.

Their house was gigantic, and yet they "needed" more room, instead of an efficiency expert/home organizer to repurpose the room usage. 

Since when do kids "need"  play rooms???????????   Isn't that what outside is supposed to be??????   Or that enormous family room???????

I don't get it.  My dad was ALWAYS saying, "Go outside!"  In the winter, we played in the basement family room, using a space heater if necessary.  Or we played in our rooms. 

It seems to me that families are trying to separate the kids/everyone too much.  Each kid needs his/her own room AND bathroom?????   Sure, it might eliminate squabbling, but with phones these days, where else will they get ongoing interaction?  Or build relationships?  My siblings may not have been my best friends, but they were there to talk/play/fight/debate/gossip/joke/do chores with everyday., 

Again, I don't get it. 

• Like 11

13 hours ago, Tosia said:

It seems to me that families are trying to separate the kids/everyone too much.  Each kid needs his/her own room AND bathroom?????   Sure, it might eliminate squabbling, but with phones these days, where else will they get ongoing interaction?  Or build relationships?  My siblings may not have been my best friends, but they were there to talk/play/fight/debate/gossip/joke/do chores with everyday., 

Some of the desire to provide separate bedrooms and bathrooms may just be a function of personality traits. I come from a long line of people who need huge amounts of solitude and silence. As a kid, I shared a bedroom with a younger sibling and hated every single minute of it. It was a huge relief when one of my older siblings left home and I then had my own bedroom. I wanted as little interaction with my younger sibling as possible, for various reasons, and to this day we have minimal contact. My father built what would now be termed a "man cave" but was essentially a music room for him, so he would have his own more or less private retreat. It was also a place where he and my mother could socialize with friends on weekend nights, but we all understood that on weekday evenings, he wanted to be alone. 

Almost always with this show, I think the people should just move to a new house, unless it's clear that their problem isn't really lack of space or lack of properly configured space, but just inability to keep things organized. The only episode I've seen where I 100% wanted the couple of stay in the house was the one where the home and acreage had been in the guy's family for 150 years or something, because I can see that it would be emotionally wrenching to sell a house that had been in your family that long. But the show is so formulaic at this point that a week or so ago, I was in a teleconference that was dragging on forever, with stuff that didn't pertain to me, and I randomly opened a blank Word doc, and before I knew it had written a parody of the typical Love It or List It episode. Most of the time Hilary does a good job of making the current house work better, but a few things bug me. She seems to have new kitchen cabinets installed in every single house, even when the existing ones seem in good shape and it would be easy to just add new matching cabinets. I've also seen one too many episodes where she removes every trace of personal taste the owners have (bold colors, interesting patterns, etc.) and replaces it with some of the blandest furniture, color schemes and so forth possible. Finally, when the clients are primarily asking for new bedrooms, renovating the kitchen and master bath doesn't do a damn thing to accomplish that, and I hate the idea of chopping up a decent-sized room, such as a dining room, to split it into a small bedroom or two. 

I think someone upthread was questioning why someone would want a separate office if there are empty bedrooms. I can't explain that completely, but I will say that one major selling point for me when I bought a new house last year was that it had a dedicated office downstairs, at the front of the house. It was configured with a lot of outlets, windows looking out onto the front yard, and no closet, so all the wall space can be used for my two desks and various bookcases, etc. I've dealt with using my bedroom as a half bedroom, half office, and that was difficult to work with. Because I telecommute 100%, I need the dedicated office space. I do have a token unused bedroom upstairs, but I prefer to keep that as a dedicated guest bedroom. 

• Like 2

On 11/29/2018 at 11:13 PM, BookWoman56 said:

Most of the time Hilary does a good job of making the current house work better, but a few things bug me. She seems to have new kitchen cabinets installed in every single house, even when the existing ones seem in good shape and it would be easy to just add new matching cabinets. I've also seen one too many episodes where she removes every trace of personal taste the owners have (bold colors, interesting patterns, etc.) and replaces it with some of the blandest furniture, color schemes and so forth possible.

I agree with this; the houses end up looking like they're staged to sell whether or not the homeowners are going to "love it or list it". I actually prefer Jillian's designs on LIOLI2, they seem to be closer to my own taste.

I'm sick of seeing the ridiculous messes they start every show with; if these people are such slobs, no amount of square footage will be enough. And no more complaining about safety or structural issues that should have been discovered and addressed by owners interested in taking care of their investment. Some of these idiots even blame Hilary!

• Like 4

I'm also tired of seeing all the clutter, most of which seems obviously staged as well. There's almost always a huge amount of clutter, but things such as kitchen counters and so forth are not dirty. Generally speaking, if you've let huge amounts of clutter pile up, then there's going to be a huge amount of dust there as well, and a real potential to have floors unmopped or unvacuumed. Yet there's never any evidence of actual dirt, just inability to keep things organized and put up. I'm 99% sure the clutter is staged so there will be a bigger contrast between the before and after pictures once Hilary has done her design stuff, but IMO it's not necessary. I'd rather just see the floor plan, shots of the relevant rooms, and hear the owners describe why they need a renovation or new house. Surely if you show the floor plan that has the standard 3BR/2BA layout, and then the clients explain they now have extra kids or extended family in the house, and one or both parents work from home and need an office, you don't have to have the stock images of clutter. In those cases, clutter isn't the real culprit; there's simply a need for a different floor plan that meets the needs of the clients. I'd rather see more before and after floor plans for more than 5 seconds on screen, so I can get a sense of what the problem was and how the new configuration is supposed to be better. 

And @Broderbits, you're right; if the people are slobs of that magnitude, you could give them a 5,000 square-foot house and it still wouldn't be enough. Not to mention I have no idea how someone can live in a house for several years and have zero idea that their electrical wiring and/or plumbing is defective. There are hidden problems that someone may not find until a formal inspection is done when selling the house again; I could see, for example, that between the time the clients bought the house and the time they are ready to renovate/move, a crack might have appeared in the foundation and not be visible, or termites could have done serious damage in places that are hidden. But things such as the basement having flooded numerous times and the homeowners having "fixed" it with duct tape (okay, slight exaggeration here), it's just not believable that they had no idea things were that bad. 

I don't watch a lot of HGTV shows, but stumbled across this one, and almost always have to then watch an episode or two of My Lottery Dream Home, in which at least the clients are almost always much more pleasant and grateful for being given good choices. I saw one episode not too long ago where the couple who won the lottery had rented an apartment their entire adult lives, including having children and grandchildren, and when they were shown the first house, the wife was thrilled that it had a dishwasher and commented that she'd never had a dishwasher. I couldn't help thinking that they were such a major contrast from the clients on this show, where the client who wants to stay in the existing house will bitch and moan about the most ridiculous things when shown a possible new house. 

• Like 6

Spoiler ALERT:

Ok, last night's episode with the two cops.  Danny was the homeowner control freak big baby who criticizes everyone and everything. The other cop wanted a new house that would be theirs, v. just Danny's baby.  It was a good episode with realistically, smaller, older homes.  The last one was PERFECT for them, but....... Hilary did what she could, but $ prevented the reno of the basement.  

I really thought that they would sell because these guys were married, and that Danny would give up the house for his true love, but no.  Interesting episode.  Watch to the very end where they revisit these guys a year later.  Surprise!

• Like 4

On 12/4/2018 at 10:12 AM, Tosia said:

Spoiler ALERT:

Ok, last night's episode with the two cops.  Danny was the homeowner control freak big baby who criticizes everyone and everything. The other cop wanted a new house that would be theirs, v. just Danny's baby.  It was a good episode with realistically, smaller, older homes.  The last one was PERFECT for them, but....... Hilary did what she could, but $ prevented the reno of the basement.  

I really thought that they would sell because these guys were married, and that Danny would give up the house for his true love, but no.  Interesting episode.  Watch to the very end where they revisit these guys a year later.  Surprise!

Yes, great episode. I liked both guys. 

Although I find the show formulaic and repititive at times, I still enjoy the overall concept. But I’ll usually watch the first five minutes, finding out what the families want renovated or want they want in a new house. Then I fast forward to the final 7-8 minutes to see the last house David shows the couple (which is usually the Love it or List It choice), and then try to guess if they’ll move or not. I’m not interested in watching Hilary have the same arguments with the homeowners week after week about why certain projects can’t be done on their shoestring renovation budgets. 

And while most people do choose to stay in their their houses, I’ve been surprised by couples who decide to list even though they went on and on about loving the neighborhood, the other kids on the block, etc.

The only times I’ve been able to guess the outcome is when Hilary does something very specific to a house: e.g. on one episode she was renovating the home office of a radiolgist, and she made the walls black to make it easier for him to study x-rays and other imaging studies without a glare.

Does anyone know how the participants are paid on this show? And are they really investing the 70, 80, 100 thousand dollars for the renovations, or does the show do them for a discount?

The latest episode with the young dr and his wooden wife?   Could she emote any less? 

They owned a giant house, but needed more.  Crazy . 

• Like 2

They should add an organizer to the show! Maybe alternate between David vs. Hilary and David vs. hypothetical organizer. "Love It or List It" one week, and "List It or Learn to Put Stuff Away" the next? As someone who can't renovate but needs more space I'd love to see what can be done! Of course, almost everyone on this show has much more room than I have to work with (and thus should not have such issues!).

• Like 8

1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

They should add an organizer to the show! Maybe alternate between David vs. Hilary and David vs. hypothetical organizer. "Love It or List It" one week, and "List It or Learn to Put Stuff Away" the next? As someone who can't renovate but needs more space I'd love to see what can be done! Of course, almost everyone on this show has much more room than I have to work with (and thus should not have such issues!).

I like this idea, especially since most of the people whinging about not having enough space just need to get rid of tons of stuff! I can't remember the name of the episode, but the one where their entire dining room table was covered with small kitchen appliances comes to mind.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, jcbrown said:

especially since most of the people whinging about not having enough space just need to get rid of tons of stuff!

I...

am probably one of them! I can't help it; I love so many different kinds of things! However, I also like neatness--or at least organized chaos--and I would never keep the damn dining table covered like that (unless I am still in the middle of something but had to stop doing it. Which is why I need just one more small room!

• Like 2

On 12/24/2018 at 9:44 PM, jcbrown said:

I like this idea, especially since most of the people whinging about not having enough space just need to get rid of tons of stuff! I can't remember the name of the episode, but the one where their entire dining room table was covered with small kitchen appliances comes to mind.

I have a sneaking suspicion that most of these people aren't as sloppy as they appear, and that the producers are responsible for the incredible messes we see. I hate that part of the show; it's totally unnecessary. We are not as stupid as HGTV seems to think!

• Like 3

Saw another old one.  The couple gave Hilary a budget of $105,000, and wanted

1.  A new kitchen

2. The downstairs remade to be open concept

3. Updated master bathroom

4.  A separate house built for grandma on the property.

They seemed so surprised that building the brand new house would use most, if not all, of their budget, and I spent that hour wondering where they find these people.

• Like 7

On 1/18/2019 at 2:59 AM, Crs97 said:

They seemed so surprised that building the brand new house would use most, if not all, of their budget, and I spent that hour wondering where they find these people.

It's either where do they find them or why do the producers insist on the homeowners making themselves look like such idiots. Or both, I suppose.

• Like 3

On 1/18/2019 at 4:59 AM, Crs97 said:

Saw another old one.  The couple gave Hilary a budget of $105,000, and wanted

1.  A new kitchen

2. The downstairs remade to be open concept

3. Updated master bathroom

4.  A separate house built for grandma on the property.

Good grief. I frequently experience extreme sticker shock when watching this show or any of the ones where people are pricing houses/renovations, because I live in a city in TX with comparatively low real estate prices. I bought my house brand new roughly a year and a half ago. It's a little over 2800 square feet, 4 BR/2.5 BA, downstairs office, granite countertops and stainless steel appliances in the kitchen, ceramic tile throughout the downstairs except the master BR, etc., and it's slightly outside the city limits. For what I paid here (~$265K) for my house, in most of the cities where these shows are set, I could get something maybe a third that size, much older, and obviously not recently updated. But even here in the land of cheap housing, I know that you can't build a separate house plus do all the other renovations they wanted for that price. About a dozen years ago, one of my sisters was able to have a couple of small houses (more or less cottages) built on land she owned, to use as rental properties, for around $45K each. But that was done using a very simple floor plan with no extras, very small kitchen, etc., and again, 12-13 years ago. Unless that couple somehow thought they could get 2-3 of those storage sheds you can buy at Home Depot or somewhere, merge them into one building, and trick them out with a very basic kitchen and bath, I can't imagine how they deluded themselves they could do all that on that small of a budget. 

• Like 1

On ‎2018‎-‎12‎-‎24 at 6:38 PM, TattleTeeny said:

"List It or Learn to Put Stuff Away"

is a show that should be on every week since it would be more in line with what most watchers can afford.  20/30-something slobs on LIOLI think they want complete open concept, but it is stressful to see the mess in the kitchen when you are trying to enjoy family time 10 feet away.

And when their kids are teens, they will probably be stomping off to their rooms and slamming the door to get away from all the togetherness.

Edited by deirdra
  • Like 4
  • Laugh 1

On 1/21/2019 at 12:25 AM, BookWoman56 said:

Good grief. I frequently experience extreme sticker shock when watching this show or any of the ones where people are pricing houses/renovations, because I live in a city in TX with comparatively low real estate prices. I bought my house brand new roughly a year and a half ago. It's a little over 2800 square feet, 4 BR/2.5 BA, downstairs office, granite countertops and stainless steel appliances in the kitchen, ceramic tile throughout the downstairs except the master BR, etc., and it's slightly outside the city limits. For what I paid here (~$265K) for my house, in most of the cities where these shows are set, I could get something maybe a third that size, much older, and obviously not recently updated. But even here in the land of cheap housing, I know that you can't build a separate house plus do all the other renovations they wanted for that price. About a dozen years ago, one of my sisters was able to have a couple of small houses (more or less cottages) built on land she owned, to use as rental properties, for around $45K each. But that was done using a very simple floor plan with no extras, very small kitchen, etc., and again, 12-13 years ago. Unless that couple somehow thought they could get 2-3 of those storage sheds you can buy at Home Depot or somewhere, merge them into one building, and trick them out with a very basic kitchen and bath, I can't imagine how they deluded themselves they could do all that on that small of a budget. 

Haha, try North Jersey! Oy, I have small a 2BR/2 bath condo, in a not particularly sought after area, and that was $230,000.

• Like 1

During some stuck in the house bad weather days, I binge-watched a bunch of episodes. My fave parts are Hilary and David's banter and how pissed Hilary gets at the homeowners unreasonable demands.

I don't understand on reno shows why they buy all new furniture for the house. Won't the owners who stay just move their own stuff back in?

On 12/18/2018 at 6:00 PM, topanga said:

Although I find the show formulaic and repititive at times, I still enjoy the overall concept. But I’ll usually watch the first five minutes, finding out what the families want renovated or want they want in a new house. Then I fast forward to the final 7-8 minutes to see the last house David shows the couple (which is usually the Love it or List It choice), and then try to guess if they’ll move or not. I’m not interested in watching Hilary have the same arguments with the homeowners week after week about why certain projects can’t be done on their shoestring renovation budgets. 

I started doing this after a while too. It's funny how David manages to find the perfect house, right at the end of each show. (eyeroll)

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

I just watched an episode (don't know how new it is) where the woman had a "pop up accessory store." They walled off the dining room from the kitchen, created a large-closet-sized show room (that pretty much looked like exactly what it was), a pocket-sized "hanging out room" and turned their living room into a dining room. All I could think is, how do you sell this thing to someone else?  Fortunately they didn't have to find out as they "loved it." Hillary also added another door to the long bonus room for "sound insulation." I kept thinking "who would want that in the future?"

Edited by dleighg

On 1/23/2019 at 2:28 PM, deirdra said:

20/30-something slobs on LIOLI think they want complete open concept, but it is stressful to see the mess in the kitchen when you are trying to enjoy family time 10 feet away.

And when their kids are teens, they will probably be stomping off to their rooms and slamming the door to get away from all the togetherness.

I sometimes imagine the look of horror that would happen if I ever were a client on one of these design shows. I loathe open floor plans with the fire of a thousand suns. I rarely entertain, but when I do, I certainly don't want my guests looking straight into a messy kitchen piled high with dirty pots and pans, etc., and I absolutely do not want guests watching me cook. My downstairs is an open floor plan, but I found it tolerable because at the time I bought this house, my daughter and I were in a 3BR/3BA, 1500 sf apartment when my son, DIL, and grandson relocated here from overseas and lived with us while looking for jobs, and things were extremely crowded. So when I picked out this floor plan, I was happy to have the kitchen plus living room and dining room open to each other as long as they were much larger than the apartment configuration; also, my general dislike of open floor plans was offset by the fact that this house also had a downstairs dedicated office. It's just as well that the main living area is open, because I've had to move my mother into my house, and she's in a wheelchair, so she's able to move freely from her bedroom into the kitchen and so forth because there are no barriers.

Whenever I move again (which will most likely not be until after my mother's mobility issues are no longer a factor), I want to find something that has defined spaces rather than an open concept; that is, if the kitchen is open to a family room or something, then there will have to be a separate living room and dining room, and I want a dedicated office and/or library. From watching this show and other design shows, it seems as if wanting anything other than an open concept is blasphemy in the view of the designers.