aquarian1

Favorite Quotes: Oh, I'd wear clown makeup if I thought it'd get me a conviction.

10 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

It’s funny, cause Sundance will always censor the word “bareback” for some idiotic reason when they play the episode.  The unneccessaye censorship pisses me off to no end, it’s a complete joke, especially from Sundance, they censor mild, random stuff all the time yet they play R rated movies a lot with stronger content than L&O. Beyond irritating. I love watching on TNT cause they don’t censor anything.

I said this same EXACT thing when Sundance first started airing this show. It's beyond ridiculous. And I agree about TNT. They have the balls to not censor the N word, either. Blanking/bleeping it out, the scene loses the emotional impact.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

It’s funny, cause Sundance will always censor the word “bareback” for some idiotic reason when they play the episode.  The unneccessaye censorship pisses me off to no end, it’s a complete joke, especially from Sundance, they censor mild, random stuff all the time yet they play R rated movies a lot with stronger content than L&O. Beyond irritating. I love watching on TNT cause they don’t censor anything.

Sundance and WE (and I believe ION) air the broadcast syndication cuts for some reason. I can sort of understand it with ION given their roots as a "family friendly" Christian network before it became yet another channel offering endless reruns of network procedurals (not that there's anything wrong with that, some of my favorite series are network procedurals), but it makes no sense to me given that Sundance is supposed to be an "artistic" network aimed at a sophisticated adult audience, and WE's programming outside of reruns is straight up raunchy reality trash. I remember commenting elsewhere on these forums that I always found it ironic that WE would drop audio on the word chubby in the line "I get a chubby just thinking about her" when they aired "Working Mom" and then go to a commercial about their new series featuring couples having sex in a box. I sort of hope that it comes down to some sort of stupid legal thing where TNT had exclusive rights to the uncut network versions way back and it's never been dropped when they renewed the contract so the other networks get the cuts designed so that some station in Omaha didn't have to deal with too many FCC complaints. Because if it's just laziness and nobody caring about what they are airing it's so much worse. Lawyers and bureaucratic inertia are just part of life we all have to deal with, but carelessness or not being able to be bothered is so much worse!

• Like 5

When they censor something random, it takes me right out of the show. I can spend a solid minute trying to recall, "what bad word was in this episode?" Then getting annoyed when it was something completely not profane.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Picture It. Sicily said:

When they censor something random, it takes me right out of the show. I can spend a solid minute trying to recall, "what bad word was in this episode?" Then getting annoyed when it was something completely not profane.

Yup; like crapper, ass, bareback.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, wknt3 said:

Sundance and WE (and I believe ION) air the broadcast syndication cuts for some reason. I can sort of understand it with ION given their roots as a "family friendly" Christian network before it became yet another channel offering endless reruns of network procedurals (not that there's anything wrong with that, some of my favorite series are network procedurals), but it makes no sense to me given that Sundance is supposed to be an "artistic" network aimed at a sophisticated adult audience, and WE's programming outside of reruns is straight up raunchy reality trash. I remember commenting elsewhere on these forums that I always found it ironic that WE would drop audio on the word chubby in the line "I get a chubby just thinking about her" when they aired "Working Mom" and then go to a commercial about their new series featuring couples having sex in a box. I sort of hope that it comes down to some sort of stupid legal thing where TNT had exclusive rights to the uncut network versions way back and it's never been dropped when they renewed the contract so the other networks get the cuts designed so that some station in Omaha didn't have to deal with too many FCC complaints. Because if it's just laziness and nobody caring about what they are airing it's so much worse. Lawyers and bureaucratic inertia are just part of life we all have to deal with, but carelessness or not being able to be bothered is so much worse!

I’ve never noticed ION censoring things, it’s Sundance and WE ironically enough that do it, they censor the smallest things and yet Sundance regularly shows extremely violent R rated movies and WE’s whole programming is reality trash. It’s a fucking joke that L&O gets censored, it isn’t a Disney show and it’s viewers are mature, and this show aired uncensored on NBC in the 90’s. And it’s funny what they censor as well, they bleep a ton of sexual references, and sometimes they bleep slurs but sometimes they don’t. It’s incredibly distracting. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

I’ve never noticed ION censoring things, it’s Sundance and WE ironically enough that do it, they censor the smallest things and yet Sundance regularly shows extremely violent R rated movies and WE’s whole programming is reality trash. It’s a fucking joke that L&O gets censored, it isn’t a Disney show and it’s viewers are mature, and this show aired uncensored on NBC in the 90’s. And it’s funny what they censor as well, they bleep a ton of sexual references, and sometimes they bleep slurs but sometimes they don’t. It’s incredibly distracting. 

ION definitely censors. Can't remember a Mothership example off the bat, but I know, when airing CI, the line, "You prick!" at the end of S10's "Icarus" was cut. Also, S1 had the line from "Semi-Professional", "He pissed himself..." also cut. (The whole "Does your father know you're a whore?" scene in "Rispetto" seems to be cut by all, except, I think either WE or USA when it airs late at night.)

Oh, and Captain Hannah saying Jack Driscoll breathes "Douchebag" in "The Last Street In Manhattan" is almost always cut.

So with this many cuts to CI, I'm betting ION does the same to the Mothership.

But then, ION doesn't shock me as it used to be PAX, which had Christian/religious roots.

• Like 5

On 2/27/2018 at 5:46 PM, WendyCR72 said:

ION definitely censors. Can't remember a Mothership example off the bat, but I know, when airing CI, the line, "You prick!" at the end of S10's "Icarus" was cut. Also, S1 had the line from "Semi-Professional", "He pissed himself..." also cut. (The whole "Does your father know you're a whore?" scene in "Rispetto" seems to be cut by all, except, I think either WE or USA when it airs late at night.)

Oh, and Captain Hannah saying Jack Driscoll breathes "Douchebag" in "The Last Street In Manhattan" is almost always cut.

So with this many cuts to CI, I'm betting ION does the same to the Mothership.

But then, ION doesn't shock me as it used to be PAX, which had Christian/religious roots.

I've observed the same thing with CI, but I can't say I'm familiar enough with the mothership on ION since my DVR is set to record only TNT and WE. @Xeliou66 could be correct though. If so that would be pretty conclusive evidence that it is not capricious standards of what is or is not acceptable to broadcast, or any sort of contractual limits, but a simple lack of caring - the networks just run the package they get whether it's the unedited version or the censored for broadcast syndication cut and they don't pay any attention to the content unless they need to squeeze in a few more ads or a promo or something. Which is pretty depressing, but not all that surprising really.

Suspect, regarding a parking stub: You didn't find that in my car, you put it there.

Briscoe: I knew those fake parking stubs would come in handy someday.

• Like 3

From Showtime, when McCoy is complaining about the TV analysts breaking down the trial

Ross “Next time try the Cartoon Network”

McCoy “That was the Cartoon Network!” 

Always makes me laugh. The 3 parter isn’t popular with a lot of people but I like it, I liked how the investigation and trial was more in depth and there were lots of funny quotes and memorable moments from each character. I disliked the Curtis  personal shit, but other than that I liked the 3 parter. The closing lines are some of the best in L&O history 

Schiff “Take the rest of the week off”

McCoy “It’s Friday Adam”

Schiff “So it is. See you on Monday”. 

• Like 4

From The Pursuit of Happiness in season 4, when a case isn’t going well

Schiff “Quick, lock the door, somebody might walk in with a case we can win!” and then Schiff to Stone a minute later “I wouldn’t count your chickens, your omelet just hit the fan!”. Schiff had some of the best and most memorable lines, he was awesome.

Edited by Xeliou66
  • Like 3

From Human Flesh Search Engine 

Bernard to an anonymous caller harassing him : “Screw You”

Van Buren “I take it that wasn’t your mother”

Bernard “That was some guy calling me a Nazi. You know an hour ago I got a call from someone telling me I needed to go on a diet”

Lupo “Maybe that was your mother!!” 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

From Human Flesh Search Engine 

Bernard to an anonymous caller harassing him : “Screw You”

Van Buren “I take it that wasn’t your mother”

Bernard “That was some guy calling me a Nazi. You know an hour ago I got a call from someone telling me I needed to go on a diet”

Lupo “Maybe that was your mother!!” 

That is a great epsiode for dialogue throughout, both the writing and the delivery. My other favorite from this one -

McCoy: “That place on the world wide web?”
Rubirosa: ”Actually, they don’t call it that anymore.”
McCoy: “Excuse me, should I have said wireless telegraph?”

• Like 4

I don't know if this has been said but it rotated back on TNT.

Rey Curtis to a suspects grandmother: "I'm with the police I don't lie" 

The face acting from Jerry Orbach, S. Epatha Merkerson and some extra playing a uniformed officer in the background reacting to him out of abuela's eyesight was priceless

• Like 4