schnauzergirl

New Episodes Discussion: Cooking for Jeffrey!

I enjoyed Ina's special because well, it’s more time with Ina.  To me, it could have been better — didn’t feel festive/holiday-ish at all and I thought that some of the sides weren't that interesting — but I’ll take any hour with Ina that I can get.

Edited by MerBearHou

17 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

Did anyone see Ina’s Thanksgiving special last night?  I enjoyed it because it’s more time with a new Ina show. Could have been better — didn’t feel festive at all — but I’ll take any hour with Ina that I can get!

It's been discussed upthread.

Love today’s new episode “Beefed Up” when she got the giggles about the squirty noises that the ketchup bottle made! Oh, Ina, you naughty girl! 

I will say that IMO, she adds too much salt to stuff. For example, the beef carpaccio had Caesar dressing AND shaved Parmesan AND then AND capers AND then more salt. I am very judicious about how much salt I add to dishes and not because I am necessarily watching my sodium intake. I just don’t like overly salty food. 

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Like 6

Today’s episode was chock full of forced, nervous laughter and twee overload. I like Emily and LMM but I’d rather watch cooking than a 30 minute Mary Poppins trailer. LMM looked particularly awkward to me, bless his heart. And Michael’s flowers were underwhelming this time. I also hate a table that is really crowded and all those desserts piled up in the middle drove me nuts. I’ll be interested in other opinions. I have been battling a cold for a week and am frustrated that it has kept me from finishing my Christmas tree, so maybe I’m just stuck in bitch mode right now. Maybe I need a spoon full of sugar to help the medicine go down. Or just a hot toddy will do! 

I was SO excited about this episode because of Emily Blunt, Lin-Manuel and Rob Marshall.  I loved Emily and her potatoes looked easy and yummy.  Honestly, the whole meal was right up my alley except the desserts.  Totally agree, Michael’s flowers were not cut short enough — the flowers themselves were pretty and could have been lovely in those little teapots but the results were underwhelming. I thought the pink and white table was appropriate for a Mary Poppins theme. Lin-Manuel is a bit too “on” for me but he was OK.  Rob and the other guy were fine — they’ve been on BC before and are good friends of hers.

• Like 1

It was interesting and I enjoyed Emily Blunt and her potatoes but I kept wondering who originated the idea for this mash-up. Was it some sort of corporate synergy thing from the suits or is it just that Ina is a big fan and asked if it could happen?

1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

I thought today's show was delightful! Everyone seemed to be having so much fun.

I really enjoyed it too.  I must be one of the very few who have never seen Lin-Manuel, other than in little bits and pieces, and I thought he was thoroughly charming.  Emily was darling, and I may have to try her potato recipe.  Ina was very cute with them.  (I hope the movie is good!)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Terrafamilia said:

It was interesting and I enjoyed Emily Blunt and her potatoes but I kept wondering who originated the idea for this mash-up. Was it some sort of corporate synergy thing from the suits or is it just that Ina is a big fan and asked if it could happen?

Ina had Rob Marshall on before when he was promoting another movie of his (maybe Chicago??).  I think they’re big pals.  But getting Emily and Lin-Manuel was a huge coup.  Lots of fun.  Must have filmed a year ago since there was snow on the ground and the trees were all bare.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

Must have filmed a year ago since there was snow on the ground and the trees were all bare.

It might have also been thrown together last minute since they're doing promo.

I'm one of the lovers of this episode. I like Ina's get togethers. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Door County Cherry said:

It might have also been thrown together last minute since they're doing promo.

I'm one of the lovers of this episode. I like Ina's get togethers. 

They have been in promo mode forever and this was definitely filmed last winter.

Awk-ward, and I like Lin and Emily. She’s a very good actress (as this movie promo showed). 

Best part? The reactions from Rob and grey-sweater guy to those pitiful flowers. Michael must’ve been piiiisssed not to have been invited! Guarantee shorter, fuller cups and teapots would have been made if he delivered them.

otherwise, Ina felt forced, and she used my least-favorite line: Don’t have any/do anything fun while I’m gone.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

Ina had Rob Marshall on before when he was promoting another movie of his (maybe Chicago??).  I think they’re big pals.  But getting Emily and Lin-Manuel was a huge coup.  Lots of fun.  Must have filmed a year ago since there was snow on the ground and the trees were all bare.

It was the movie Nine  - Ina brought them food while  they were editing the film

That sure was a floral miss by Michael...he must have been in a snit 

4 hours ago, rhys said:

Those potatoes looked fab! I loved the idea of shaking them to create more surface area and yummy goodness.

It really works, too. Serious Eats has a recipe that is similar to the one presented and it makes the best roasted potatoes I've ever eaten/made.

• Like 1

Today's show was new to me. Loved the Hemingway cocktail but the other one didn't sound good. I was surprised Ina  added the smoked salmon to the lime juice in the tartare. Seems like you'd lose all the yummy smokiness. Loved everything else tho.