Maverick

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

I don't see how you can track someone by their phone if the phone is turned off, I mean totally turned off. But I can see how you can set a tracking device built into a car the kids can't turn off by using a code.

• Like 3

Do those car tracking devices also report on driving habits -- speeding, etc.?

My assistant is early 20s and she still says "dude" and "awesome".

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

16 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Do those car tracking devices also report on driving habits -- speeding, etc.?

My assistant is early 20s and she still says "dude" and "awesome".

The ones Progressive want you to plug into your car's computer does - that's how they determine your insurance rate.

I have no idea what the device advertised in the car commercial does.

• Useful 1

Saw an ad this morning for Cottonelle toilet paper that really made me go ‘ewww” - parents who are going to a long-awaited kid free Caribbean resort vacation and the wife is recommending Cottonelle toilet paper. Because she wants to be extra fresh and have all of the nooks and crannies extra squeaky clean.  I was immediately reminded of anal sex and just nooooo.

ETA:  Not that I object at all to two consenting adults having whatever kind of sex they want to, I just don’t need to be thinking about it when I buy Cottonelle!

Edited by captain1
  • Like 4
  • Laugh 4
  • Surprise 1

I always get a kick out of the “Airborne has 50% more Vitamin C than Emergen-C” ads.  Vitamin C is water-soluble, meaning you pee out what your body doesn’t use.

Edited by smittykins
  • Like 5
  • Laugh 2

I saw a commercial on Hulu the other day. A couple are always eating out at fancy and trendy restaurants. They discover they can't save money for a house. Gee I wonder why. So they call Wells Fargo, who has this amazing new service that will help! For free, they help the couple understand that if they stop blowing money on eating out all the time, they'll save money! Amazing!!  🤦‍♀️

• Like 8
  • Laugh 2
  • Surprise 1

4 hours ago, TheLastKidPicked said:

There's a subcategory of commercials that we comment on at our house:

Commercials where the ad agency includes teenagers, and it is obvious that they do not have teenagers at home.

Hyundai has come out with BlueLink technology, where you can track your teens while they drive. In 2019!  And it was such breakthrough technology that they advertised it during the Super Bowl. . .

In 2019!

I saw something like that on Shark Tank... *googles* in 2013 - https://2paragraphs.com/2017/09/smartwheel-teen-steering-wheel-on-shark-tank-selling-for-149/. It was one of those "kid entrepreneur" specials; I remember thinking "there's a kid who's going to be really popular at school".

• Like 1

The new Oreo cookie commercial with someone that I have no idea who they are—a rapper? The song/music is so annoying. Is Oreo trying to appeal to some young, hip, rapper crowd? I don’t get it. Lol. 

• Like 2

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 10:56 PM, QuinnInND said:

Second of all, I can't stand women who use their maiden and married name like that. Pick one please. YMMV of course. 

when I was first married I used both names.  Because I had a professional career, including published articles, under my maiden name, and needed to list them on my resume. 

After a few years, I dropped the maiden name.  I wanted the same last name as my kids, so I used my married name.  

• Like 4

6 hours ago, captain1 said:

Saw an ad this morning for Cottonelle toilet paper that really made me go ‘ewww” - parents who are going to a long-awaited kid free Caribbean resort vacation and the wife is recommending Cottonelle toilet paper. Because she wants to be extra fresh and have all of the nooks and crannies extra squeaky clean.  I was immediately reminded of anal sex and just nooooo.

I saw one where the guy is nervous about meeting his partner's parents.  They show a peach and then cottenelle whisking liquid off of it.  I was grossed out and then the couple was two guys.  Hate me, but that just evoked the same thought in my head as your thought in your post.  just ewwwwww!

3 hours ago, Pickles said:

The new Oreo cookie commercial with someone that I have no idea who they are—a rapper? The song/music is so annoying. Is Oreo trying to appeal to some young, hip, rapper crowd? I don’t get it. Lol. 

I saw that one.  Did the guy have a teardrop inked under his eye?  I didn't have my glasses on and am really wondering what was there.

Edited by kelslamu
  • Like 2

One of the drawbacks to watching so much cable news is that I see way too many BDO commercials. The characters all have way too much attitude and I resent the fact that I had to google to find out what they (BDO) actually do. I am similiarly pissed off by the "Entree" commercials from KPMG with Joie Chen. I feel like I am unwillingly crashing their little business lunch party. 

I guess I am just too easily ticked off these days 😒

• Like 2

15 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I don't see how you can track someone by their phone if the phone is turned off, I mean totally turned off. But I can see how you can set a tracking device built into a car the kids can't turn off by using a code.

So you'll know that the car is parked at their friend's house, while they're off somewhere else in the friend's car?

• Like 1
  • Laugh 2

8 hours ago, kelslamu said:

I saw one where the guy is nervous about meeting his partner's parents.  They show a peach and then cottenelle whisking liquid off of it.  I was grossed out and then the couple was two guys.  Hate me, but that just evoked the same thought in my head as your thought in your post.  just ewwwwww!

ACK!  I haven't seen that one, and do NOT care to! Ewwww!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

So you'll know that the car is parked at their friend's house, while they're off somewhere else in the friend's car?

Oh, for sure. If kids want to go somewhere they're not supposed to be, they'll find a way.

• Like 2

On ‎02‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 12:22 AM, Silver Raven said:

She is a singer songwriter.  She has three albums and four EPs out.

I'd never heard of her before the South Beach commercials.  But that doesn't mean she isn't a legit singer-songwriter.  Although I do get her confused with Jessie J.

On ‎02‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 5:19 PM, Jamoche said:

You could cut it off at "that fucking Progressive box" and it would be equally true.

I was kind of amused by the one where it's house hunting and wants enough sun for a Komodo dragon, but otherwise, yeah.

On ‎02‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 9:45 PM, OpalNightstream said:

“I thrive” is now officially as annoying as the progressive box. 

I see that one as a cross between the Progressive box and the Myrbetriq bladder.  Literally.  Although the little bladder is cute.

• Like 2

On 2/16/2019 at 9:45 PM, OpalNightstream said:

“I thrive” is now officially as annoying as the progressive box. 

Sorry if this has been asked and answered, but is the "I Thrive" voice the same as the "Progressive Box" voice?

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 8:40 PM, partofme said:

I just saw the most obnoxious commercial with Steve Carrell for Pepsi and I wanted to scream at the tv that Pepsi is never okay.

Ugh, I saw that ad recently and seeing Carell harassing those people and knowing those other people in the diner drink it make me even less inclined to want a Pepsi than when they changed their logo.