radishcake

S27.E22: Orange is the New Yellow

So we have ANOTHER episode of Marge going to prison. And of course it's probably going to be ANOTHER episode that martyrizes her. What.Ever.

• Like 1

Intro: Season finale! I also enjoyed Lisa playing the theremin.

Billboard: Wilted Mother's Day Roses - 1% off

Chalkboard: Milhouse does not live below the puberty line

Couch Gag: Ikea style! Loved this, it was really well animated.

So once again Marge gets sent to jail and the family doesn't know what to do without her, and it wasn't as funny or clever as the last time. At least the neighbors were more willing to help this time. Did love the visual of Flanders with Marge's hair, though.

For some reason I loved Marge being completely oblivious to the horrors of prison until the prison riot.

Idealized B&W Homer was dark, yet funny. 

On 5/21/2016 at 3:06 PM, ottoDbusdriver said:

I'm assuming this is the Simpsons take on this case

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/04/13/parents-investigated-letting-children-walk-alone/25700823/

Or several similar cases where the parents were arrested for letting the kids play in a park unsupervised.

God, I hate society sometimes (though I did love how Marge complaining that her mother let her roam unsupervised led to her mom getting arrested).

And so ends another seasonsee you all in the fall.

• Like 2

Yup, I pretty much called it. 

You know, in real life those prisoners would have eaten Marge for breakfast.

The only part I liked was all of them hugging in the closet at the end.

• Like 1

I remember the inmates in Marge in Chains taking a similar shine to her, if that helps.

"Don't try anything new. I could've married a woman who didn't look like me. That would be crazy!" I love whenever the show brings up the weird character designs, especially for Kirk and Luann.

EDIT: I remembered this cartoon from Mission Hill when Lisa started saying "Kafkaesque."

34112a40a2a0acf0d60b6f6559207ba8.jpg

Edited by Galileo908

I liked this episode. It was fun to watch and I thought that there were some good jokes in it and we even got a Mr. Sprakle cameo!

I enjoyed seeing the couch gag. It was nice seeing a version of Homer trying to build a couch but ended up stealing one from Flander's house. 

1 hour ago, Galileo908 said:

I remember the inmates in Marge in Chains taking a similar shine to her, if that helps.

"Don't try anything new. I could've married a woman who didn't look like me. That would be crazy!" I love whenever the show brings up the weird character designs, especially for Kirk and Luann.

EDIT: I remembered this cartoon from Mission Hill when Lisa started saying "Kafkaesque."

34112a40a2a0acf0d60b6f6559207ba8.jpg

I like when Kirk and Luanna's weird look-a-like features are brought up (and IMO, it's obvious that they are cousins and/or half-siblings. And knowing this show they are probably first cousins- just to add to the weirdness). But I am also kind of weirded out as well. 

Lisa's Kafkaesque joke I could swear that was from something (and not from your reference, but from something different). 

I thought it was rather repetitive from Marge's previous incarcerations -- and overall pretty underwhelming.

The basic premise was pretty stupid -- Bart is unsupervised at the park so Marge is a bad parent. It's not like Bart hasn't been unsupervised everywhere in town many, many, many times.

But it's not like there weren't other parents there at that park, adults whose children even knew Bart.  As long as there was one responsible adult for multiple children, because that is exactly what they did later in the episode when Homer was walking all the children.  And why was Homer never incarcerated for being a bad parent ?

I didn't get why the final black and white  clip was supposed to be from 'Season 6' or why Marge was kissing Flanders ?  Was Homer dreaming that too ?

Where are Ralph and the Bobcat ?  Last spotted flying past Arnie's copter.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

I didn't get why the final black and white  clip was supposed to be from 'Season 6' or why Marge was kissing Flanders ?  Was Homer dreaming that too ?

I assumed that it was what would happen if that situation had gone on. Like the first clip was the first season of a Leave it to Beaveresqe show and the second was the 6th season of said show with the situation growing downhill. Marge was having an affair because of the drinking.

Episode had it's laughs. I liked how the neighbors came together and supported them. Loved Homer saying he always though Flanders was great. I thought when Flanders was talking about how he knows what it is like to be left alone with kids that was going to play a  bigger part.

As someone who growing up the 90's was probably part of the last generation to just go out and play unsupervised around the neighborhood and rode my bike around the whole neighborhood alone I thought the send-up of how alarmist and critical people can be about children being any bit unsupervised was good. I am not a parent but hearing all these stories of parents in jail or having their kids taken away, Ican't imagine how scary it would be to think one call from a well intentioned bystander or even a nosy busybody could mess up your life.

• Like 1

I wish there was more to the kids combating the helicopter parents, and the tornado was too much of a deus ex machina. Sure, there was "Wild Barts Can't Be Broken," but that dealt with curfews. And the episode where Flanders became foster parents to the kids, it was just one coincidence after another which convinced Child Services that Homer & Marge were neglectful. But those were different. With the many times the shows tackled helicopter parenting, the kids pretty much stood by and took it until the last few minutes.

Edited by Galileo908

I live a couple counties away from the Maryland couple referenced in the article linked above and man, I got so sick and tired of the coverage of that story. I'm glad the Simpsons tackled this "free range children" issue but it feels weird to me since how many times have we seen the kids of Springfield free ranging over the last 27 years. 

Liked Mr. Burns covering up the huge hole in the wall with a poster AND using a plumb bob to do it, Flanders and members of the community helping Homer and the kids out, the Van Houtens leashing Milhouse to them and the Simpsons family hug in the pantry in the end. Everything else was just meh. 

That IKEA-inspired couch gag is one of the biggest belly laughs I've gotten from this show in a long time.